eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

For me, if along with what Konami have already stated they are going to fix;
-The CPU dribbled more (so that I feared Neymar, Messi etc getting the ball)
-Fouls were fixed

Yeah I know what you mean.
You know those action/fight games, like Spider-Man, Batman and even really old games? Like Mario and such?
In which, it was all good... going around killing second class villans until you had to face THE BIG MONSTER and you'd shit in your pants? And it'd usually take 2 or 3 (maybe even more) times and lost "lives" until you could finally defeat him?.
Well that what facing Neymar, Messi, Mbappe, etc should feel like in football games?. Like... I better mark him really closely or he'll make me suffer!

BTW: You mentioned FIFA way too much man. Please fellas, this can all go to hell very quickly and people will start fighting about what game is better in a second. I know it's hard sometimes to not fall into the trap, I happens to me too... but just DON'T DO IT!

Going from exhibition to master league was a bit of an adjustment as the ai was more competitive but to be honest as long as I don't try and force it and play organically it's been fine. I respect the ai when they attack follow their runs manually and don't be too rash unless needed.

I've got moise kean upfront who is quick and very strong so I can roll the ball into him hold off a couple of players which allows siguardson to play. Jean has 19 goals in 21 games so he is scoring for fun.

Also don't be scared to play the ball over the top.

Done the opposite this year - had my fill of MC in 15/16/17/18, ML in 19 and now exhibition only in 20.

Its like 5 years of involved research to finally get a result. (1.0 would have been a better I think but I'll take 1.2 for what it is)

I posted this a while back.
Should help with advanced shooting
https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/e...n-thread-ps4-xbox.80426/page-235#post-3416392

Basic: the traditional way of shooting - you aim near post & far post. Whether it’s top corner or bottom corner depends on how much power you use.

Advanced: you aim for a specific corner, so top left, bottom right etc. Shot power doesn’t determine what corner you aim for (essentially meaning you can drill it along the floor which isn’t possible on basic).

Manual: Your shot will go exactly where you aim the stick. There is no locking onto the goal whatsoever. A lot of players find this method more rewarding.

There is no right or wrong way to play, no matter if anyone tries to tell you otherwise :D Each have their advantages. Just try them out and pick which one suits the kind of gameplay you’re after.

Thanks muchly my friend, this helps a lot. I think the crucial thing is to remember shoot first, direction after! Which is probably not what I was doing on advanced shooting.

Spent a few hours with this tonight, some thoughts;

- Cavanii is a beast for the CPU
- Fouls as everyone has stated. I thought I'd try close control dribbling and people are right it does draw more fouls, but that's not a solution to the issue, especially the non calling of blatant fouls by the CPU.
- Defensive line backing off is still ridiculous. People were trying to defend it saying that the programmers had a deeper understanding of how football works, then they've come out and said it's fucked. Funny thing is the double tap on the d-pad brings the line up to where it should be, but again it's not a solution to the issue.
- The CPU dribbled more in the PC demo, but I can't remember if this was after Legend difficulty was unlocked or after he demo was updated.
- That stumble after you get barged off the ball.........
- Midfield retreat into a flat formation when you lose the ball
- Players turning around and sprinting back as soon as the keeper has the ball

Enjoying it immensely though, I've probably put the same amount of time into this since release that I have in both FIFA and Pro combined since FIFA 16. Playing on Superstar, I like that there is an obvious quality difference between teams, I can beat Anderlecht but drawing with PSG was an achievement. The games are low scoring, but that's realistic surely when top teams play each other.

For me, if along with what Konami have already stated they are going to fix;
-The CPU dribbled more (so that I feared Neymar, Messi etc getting the ball)
-Fouls were fixed

I can see myself playing this for a good long time, which is all I've wanted from a football game for the last three years.

Oh and bring back the arrows on the tactics screens for player movement

And make a good form arrow red again like it used to be

And get rid of the full kit in training mode

And bring back the original default Master League players.
There will be an option file with all the default ML players!
Maybe try top player I haven't played professional but on superstar ai misses the target even on easy chances.
I give everything a try! :SAL:
It’s always intimidating when playing fuma.

BTW: The SA match entrance scenes are a nice change with the pyro and balloons...! :)

I had a good night playing Rangers in a cup. Lost the first match and drew the second. 3rd up was Arsenal... and what a match that was. I was very defensive only switching to offense when needed!
I had a couple of chances, but I didn’t score. That game was so cool, because they were playing so human like. Really enjoyed it.
The away game that followed at Emirates was a disaster. One i was not mad about (like @PESV just said) because well deserved. They even missed some 100% chances so lovely, only to score 4 in the end! :D

The flow was great tonight. :)

Just had an incredible game of football v Sassoulo (sp?) in a new ML save (yes yes I know I said I wouldn’t touch this again but a few of you lovely people changed my mind).

It has to be Super Star for me. The CPU is more aggressive and fouls me and it’s a challenge.

I won 1-0 and it was a right old tactical battle. This game can be amazing at times it really can. I just need to put the controller down when it’s stressing me out.

Roma away next :(

Just had an incredible game of football v Sassoulo (sp?) in a new ML save (yes yes I know I said I wouldn’t touch this again but a few of you lovely people changed my mind).

It has to be Super Star for me. The CPU is more aggressive and fouls me and it’s a challenge.

I won 1-0 and it was a right old tactical battle. This game can be amazing at times it really can. I just need to put the controller down when it’s stressing me out.

Roma away next :(
I too got a bit manic with this game,never played so many games like I've done the past days.

I think one thing stressing the fuck out of me is that you can get sacked.
I rather have a choice to build a proper team over 4-5 seasons.
I can understand it at big clubs,but I'd rather have a choice whether to be fired or not.

I too got a bit manic with this game,never played so many games like I've done the past days.

I think one thing stressing the fuck out of me is that you can get sacked.
I rather have a choice to build a proper team over 4-5 seasons.
I can understand it at big clubs,but I'd rather have a choice whether to be fired or not.
It’s how I feel mate. I want to build my Milan side into a powerhouse but it’s going to take me a long time. I’ve just to accept that if I mess up, it’s game over. At least it’s a challenge and keeps us on our toes.

I moan so much about the other game being p*ss easy, I shouldn’t complain when the going gets tough in this.

I’ve got a Milan save on the go now, started in earlier. Won my first game v Sassoulo and felt so good about it. I scored such a scruffy goal with Borini but I was jumping for joy, my wife asked what was wrong :LOL:

PES is definitely back to its best. I just need to chill with it and savour it like a fine wine rather than binge on it and get frustrated.

It’s why I’ve also bought the other game. On those cold winter nights when I want to play some casual multiplayer with friends, it’s perfect for that with the atmospheres and amount of clubs to choose from.

But when I’m in serious mode and need a slower, tactical fix; PES 2020 is perfect.

I've been playing the full game (Top Player/PA0/manual shooting), but have to every now and then go back to the demo for an exhibition match or two.

The thing that bothers me the most on the full game right now is how brutal the physicality is--you can run at a player, bounce of him, get the ball, and no foul will be called.

The 2 problems Konami addressed in their FB post are real indeed. But I think playing through the midfield is in part hard cuz dribbling is impossible. You can't outrun players, and you can't go past them anymore. Your only option is to pass to a less crowded area, the wings, as soon as possible.
This may be why it still honestly feels faster to me than the demo.

I've had issues with player switching too, free kicks remain way too easy to score, and I'm struggling to see a lot of improvements outside of gameplay. I actually really don't care for the screens now, it seems like I'm clicking more to get to Cups, for instance.

Overall, it's a great game, but I'm no longer sure it's the best PES of the past decade.

The Konami FB post was both great and disheartening.

Great because they did identify real issues and this level of communication with fans is great.

Bad cuz it feels like they doubled down on their choices, which I feel are the reason why the game plays like hockey sometimes.
I don't doubt they received feedback, but there are many issues with how feedback works--people are more likely to submit negative opinions, and often do so without putting a lot of time on the game.

It's a balancing act, I understand. But I think if they had released the full game as the demo, the negative feedback would have been at a greater volume and in the opposite direction.

Overall, I think this is an 8-8.5/10 game for me. And I think any hype from non-PES fans will quickly dissipate in a week from now when FIFA is released.

It’s why I’ve also bought the other game. On those cold winter nights when I want to play some casual multiplayer with friends, it’s perfect for that with the atmospheres and amount of clubs to choose from.

But when I’m in serious mode and need a slower, tactical fix; PES 2020 is perfe

Pretty much how I see my football gaming,though I won't dish out for the other game this year,I'll stick to the older ones.

I feel that the learning curve is pretty fucking steep in pes 20,took me a whole season to get it under some sort of control.
But it is a great game,feel that I want to try out other leagues this year as well

Pretty much how I see my football gaming,though I won't dish out for the other game this year,I'll stick to the older ones.

I feel that the learning curve is pretty fucking steep in pes 20,took me a whole season to get it under some sort of control.
But it is a great game,feel that I want to try out other leagues this year as well
It’s a huge learning curve I agree but I love that about it.

I’m only now using my CF to hold the ball for longer and bring the wingers or midfielders into play. I’ve been trying to go forward far too quickly and you simply can’t do that in this.

This game is definitely a keeper because the last few PES games I will have stopped playing by now or gone back to PES 2013 etc. But this has me coming back over and over again, learning new things, then hating it briefly, then loving it...etc. It’s how I was with PES 5 back in the day - after I had learned it’s nuances and annoyances, and accepted that it was difficult and not to rush everything, I ended up playing it for nearly 3 years. I’m not saying that I will play PES 2020 for that long but there’s definitely a deep, varied game under the bonnet here.

Question for editing experts

Now that the fake Bundesliga teams have been moved to Other European Teams, how likely are they to crop up in the Champions League/Europa League in seasons to come

It’s a huge learning curve I agree but I love that about it.

I’m only now using my CF to hold the ball for longer and bring the wingers or midfielders into play. I’ve been trying to go forward far too quickly and you simply can’t do that in this.

This game is definitely a keeper because the last few PES games I will have stopped playing by now or gone back to PES 2013 etc. But this has me coming back over and over again, learning new things, then hating it briefly, then loving it...etc. It’s how I was with PES 5 back in the day - after I had learned it’s nuances and annoyances, and accepted that it was difficult and not to rush everything, I ended up playing it for nearly 3 years. I’m not saying that I will play PES 2020 for that long but there’s definitely a deep, varied game under the bonnet here.
Very true,that's why I can't stop playing it either.
Slow build up,or going direct,holding the ball up etc, variations are endless,I should really study the opponent's a bit more before each game,set up strategies on their weak spits etc.
It's really something this

I’m still so invested in my first season of ML 15 min matches, top player, Stadium cam 5-1-4 (camera shouldn’t matter but I’m telling you it really immerses you and adds to the challenge because you don’t see everything. I use radar a lot like ps2 days too)

I feel like team spirit on top player works really well too. Devolving deep into my players roles for the team etc. I got bounced in the UCL. Bounced in 3rd round of FA cup and just lost to Man City so 5 pts from the top.

Still finding top player dribbling and the shielding are much better. Games are all different and also feel realistic. I beat Newcastle 4-1 then lost 1-0 to City

Hopefully the October patch is a positive. Even if the demo or the game out of the box was better, there is still something here at its core with this version that keeps me coming back.

A.I. adjusting attack/defensive levels more varied. They use a bunch of diff advanced instructions and switch them on and off during the match. It all just adds to the variety that I have found sorely lacking in ML last 5 years.

I absolutely love if I can get a lead and then late in match set my team up for a counter attack.

I was up 2-1 in derby vs Arsenal and they were bringing guys forward. I changed my tactics to defensive swarm the box long ball counter attack centering targets and I was able to get Pulisic in behind and then I did a no touch drop shoulder split two defenders and buried it upper 90!

Is it possible to change the ball in Master League mode. Can't seem to find an option anywhere. Loving this on TP fuma with Chievo and original master league line up. Have the transfers as very low to test if its realistic.

Is it possible to change the ball in Master League mode. Can't seem to find an option anywhere. Loving this on TP fuma with Chievo and original master league line up. Have the transfers as very low to test if its realistic.
Yes, in the front screen go to SETTINGS - EDIT - COMPETITIONS and edit the ball type in the league and cups that you play in.

Very true,that's why I can't stop playing it either.
Slow build up,or going direct,holding the ball up etc, variations are endless,I should really study the opponent's a bit more before each game,set up strategies on their weak spits etc.
It's really something this
:D perfect timing.
I started studying the opponents formation before each match this week.
I felt I needed to score more goals (wich is a good thing when not all matches are 5-8 goals...) and maybe have a more detailed look at what’s coming.
So since a couple of days I’m trying to find their weak spots and then I do the tactical planning around that.
It’s immersive!! :) sucks me in so bad.
Rangers ML it is now... Union is put on hold.

:D perfect timing.
I started studying the opponents formation before each match this week.
I felt I needed to score more goals (wich is a good thing when not all matches are 5-8 goals...) and maybe have a more detailed look at what’s coming.
So since a couple of days I’m trying to find their weak spots and then I do the tactical planning around that.
It’s immersive!! :) sucks me in so bad.
Rangers ML it is now... Union is put on hold.

Stop it PRO! You are getting me all exited with your PES dirty talk! ;)) Just watched one of my matches back to analyse points i can improve on, see how players run, etc. Definitely feeling the butterflies at the moment. And that is post-patch!

@PRO_TOO You are playing 1.0 now, right?

Stop it PRO! You are getting me all exited with your PES dirty talk! ;)) Just watched one of my matches back to analyse points i can improve on, see how players run, etc. Definitely feeling the butterflies at the moment. And that is post-patch!

@PRO_TOO You are playing 1.0 now, right?
:D i just can't... this game is constantly on my mind for weeks now. i'm feeling like a kid from school wanting to go home and play some more.
on my way to work i listen to football podcasts, at work i'm thinking of football, on my way home its the podcasts again, at home its playing the game... lets see how long that lasts...

and i see, you are debriefing now! :WORSHIP: thats the sign, you are sucked in hard as well! :LOL: and good so! the game is really something! i always used to say: this game can shine! and it never did so bright on ps4, FOR ME!
there is some of that "old PES" feeling coming up when i play it. not saying everything is like on PS2 back in the days, but that core feeling of happiness achived by playing the game in a creative, sim-like, real-world way... thats what makes me very happy these days! the randomness is a big part of that i guess.
i'm still turning the wheel every night. :BOUNCE: some 1.2 then some 1.0... but i do prefer 1.0 atm!

Last edited:
Just a quick question regarding form and live updates.

When I log into myclub, I see a lot of players who are either in form for this particular week, and if I press R1, out of form.

Some of which are players that I have. From within the game, is there any indication that these players on form and in particular which stats have been increased/decreased as a result of the form update for that particular week?

I can't see anything so wondered if there was no actual difference

Back
Top Bottom