eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

As I said earlier, I’ve apologised for my remarks earlier, most of which have been born out of frustration and I should not be taking that out on people here who have been extremely helpful, it doesn’t help when PES fans blindly give 10/10.
A game (any game) must be absolutely flawless to receive a 10, and the term fan boy is used against the ones that blindly rate games because of their chosen allegiance, but if I’m honest your tone is little condescending at best, with terms like ‘I’ll show you the way out’ and ‘so stop all of it now’
I don’t mind making apologies when I’ve crossed the line, but don’t speak to me in that tone please.
How in the name of god you resulted that the majority here give a 10/10?
The most people here are very careful with their posts that hype/criticize. And after all we are often accused, that we moan much, we flame about everything, we are whining, we complain to much, we are elitists, bunch of old grumps etc. How often do you see someone give a blind 10/10? It really make me wonder!!??

IMG-20190918-142003.jpg

"'Stick to your near post", he said...'

On fouls: I'm still not seeing a major problem. But perhaps I'm used to the rough and tumble.

On commentary: I always have commentary off. On every football game ever. Without limitless lines it's never going to be realistic.
And then he got an arrow in the knee!!! :D

I do have to say - player positioning and midfield was screaming for attention for years now.
I already got used to it and it doesnt piss me off as much as it used to, but the way I play in the midfield is like I was building my defense block by block, manually.

I switch to one of my team mates, run closer to potential pass receiver to position my player, switch to another one of my players, to cover another potential pass receiver, then switch to my player to put some pressure on ball holder, while also switching back to previous players and keep adjusting them inch by inch... :LOL:

When I think about the whole system - its like a comedy, but if I didnt position all my players manually id never intercept anything... :LOL:

There's a big difference between claiming it's not scripted and suggesting you might try other things just incase more than just blatant scripting is at play. Also, the defenders leaving balls in this version appears to be more of a bug than scripting (as it happens to both humans and AI and most often in non-critical areas. It's just people of course remember much more when it costs them a crucial goal.
There have been issues such as defenders turning into morons (CPU controlled ones) in PES for many years.... A bug? that spans many years? Nah. Its scripting. The game has determined that you will lose the match and that is one way the AI can influence how your team plays so you do lose. Simple as.

I do have to say - player positioning and midfield was screaming for attention for years now.
Efuckingxactly
I've been crying about that for 3 years now.

But tightening lines and reducing the gap between each line shouldn't translate it "constant pressure by the AI". I mean we should still have some time to think or keep the ball.

Like manmachine said, it's Konami... so there's always a chance that they might screw something along the process while fixing other stuff. Who knows, maybe they accidentally re-introduce the ketchup bug.

I already got used to it and it doesnt piss me off as much as it used to, but the way I play in the midfield is like I was building my defense block by block, manually.

I switch to one of my team mates, run closer to potential pass receiver to position my player, switch to another one of my players, to cover another potential pass receiver, then switch to my player to put some pressure on ball holder, while also switching back to previous players and keep adjusting them inch by inch... :LOL:

When I think about the whole system - its like a comedy, but if I didnt position all my players manually id never intercept anything... :LOL:

I do exactly this and I think it's "normal". Maybe that's masochism in a nutshell haha :D

I don't challenge for the "Nobel prize" but this year again, it seems that every SB can find with a 100% accurate lob his WF teammate. It defies the purpose of every man you have in midfield. I was playing ML last night and paid attention on my DMFs while defending. Because of this and of the low awareness they are spectators most time when the opponent team is attacking. Then i contrasted with a real match, what happens the most times when one team spams lobbed balls from DF to FWs. The ball goes out for a throw in, the opponent DFs and MFs close up the ball, the pass goes succesfull, the ball goes to opponent by accident. There are much more outcomes than those we have in this PES (and the previous gamesto be fair)

There have been issues such as defenders turning into morons (CPU controlled ones) in PES for many years.... A bug? that spans many years? Nah. Its scripting. The game has determined that you will lose the match and that is one way the AI can influence how your team plays so you do lose. Simple as.

Except that the developers, today, have literally stated that this is a BUG that they are addressing in the October patch...

Except that the developers, today, have literally stated that this is a BUG that they are addressing in the October patch...
That aside.... its reasonably well known that the AI does some doo hickey when you are going to lose a match. Defenders freezing in place or blatantly letting a ball they could easily get to passing them by have been issues for many PES releases. Even in the golden era of the PS2 days. So for someone to say "PES isn't scripted" I think is way off the mark.

Efuckingxactly
I've been crying about that for 3 years now.

But tightening lines and reducing the gap between each line shouldn't translate it "constant pressure by the AI". I mean we should still have some time to think or keep the ball.

Like manmachine said, it's Konami... so there's always a chance that they might screw something along the process while fixing other stuff. Who knows, maybe they accidentally re-introduce the ketchup bug.

I always thinked that it was a trick to make unable to dominate a game and ease counter-attacking, it's a good point if they improve this. However if Konami close the gaps, autotackle and lack physicality could mess everything. This should be tweaked too.

How in the name of god you resulted that the majority here give a 10/10?
The most people here are very careful with their posts that hype/criticize. And after all we are often accused, that we moan much, we flame about everything, we are whining, we complain to much, we are elitists, bunch of old grumps etc. How often do you see someone give a blind 10/10? It really make me wonder!!??

And then he got an arrow in the knee!!! :D[/QUOTE

Hi slamsoze,
I’m not insinuating that everyone here gives 10/10, if anything I’ve never experienced a site like it, more help than any I’ve been on, and and that’s why I made my apologies, on one site one proud PES2020 owner declares “ it’s so much better than fifa 2020 don’t listen to the Fifa fan boys” Good god the other game is not even out! but that aside, I’m finding for everything that’s amazing with game something else is broke, kinda ruins the enjoyment when you’re supposed to overlook the discrepancies and keep moving on.
anyhow thanks for the help and advise from all,

I always thinked that it was a trick to make unable to dominate a game and ease counter-attacking, it's a good point if they improve this. However if Konami close the gaps, autotackle and lack physicality could mess everything. This should be tweaked too.

Did you even read the patch notes, mate?.
They specifically talked about increasing physicality :PP
This will ensure an exciting gameplay for 1 vs 1 duels in the sidelines or the battle for the ball in the penalty box.

That aside.... its reasonably well known that the AI does some doo hickey when you are going to lose a match. Defenders freezing in place or blatantly letting a ball they could easily get to passing them by have been issues for many PES releases. Even in the golden era of the PS2 days. So for someone to say "PES isn't scripted" I think is way off the mark.

One more time. Not once did I say it's not scripted. You're creating a straw man to argue against...

...I said it might be MORE than just scripting at play, besides the literal bug which is being looked at. Please calm down and read the post twice before reacting.

There's a big difference between claiming it's not scripted and suggesting you might try other things just incase more than just blatant scripting is at play. Also, the defenders leaving balls in this version appears to be more of a bug than scripting (as it happens to both humans and AI and most often in non-critical areas. It's just people of course remember much more when it costs them a crucial goal.

"Autotackle"... so its not just me that sees this? I also refer to it as "InstaTackle" when playing against the AI on Superstar in ML. Basically play a ball to my strikers feet and he gets tackled in an instant... no physicality involved just tackled as soon as he gets the ball.

One more time. Not once did I say it's not scripted. You're creating a straw man to argue against...

...I said it might be MORE than just scripting at play, besides the literal bug which is being looked at. Please calm down and read the post twice before reacting.
How about play nicely? I didn't react or accuse you of anything. Ok?

Gentlemen, super-cancel is the only way to stop the AI when they start to make their scripted comeback runs. It's worked for me for years. Simply trigger "super-cancel", sprint to the AI with the ball, and press R2 to disposses the ball. But, you must be very quick with your fingers in executing this as you begin your chase to stop the scripting.

Cheers!

I really like the advantage system, but it's a little too sensitive. I performed an early cross and on the volley, my strikers shot was saved. The second the ball touched the keepers hand, the whistle blue to go back for the freekick. You'd at least think it waited to see where the ball landed (it would have gone out for a corner anyway).
this could improved, it seems to work on a time basis
1. Advantage from foul opponent touches the ball in dedicated time (around 4 seconds) foul is given
2. Same scenario hold possession for 4 seconds no foul advantage over regardless if any advantage is gained
3. Advantage no one touches ball for around 4 seconds - no foul.. That's the strange one

If I want the foul I tend to hold super cancel and deliberately loose posseion.. Works most of the time

Disagree.. messi, Ronaldo and the likes still feel like superstars in 1. 2.. Ronaldo completely run the show in the international cup I had scoring 3. Same when user controlled. There is a huge difference between messi and a player from the Thai league

However, maybe it's just me, but the fouls part makes no sense. Most people don't want a complete revert to demo, they just want more fouls. Don't know why they would mix the two things..

That's pretty easy to say: Because the feedback post are too often given by people who are unable to emphasize the issues they have and are limited to simple buzzwords like "feels better, feels worse". As a developer i would go mad with it. As i do as a customer...

Clearly said: The demo gameplay and its forgiveness by the CPU can't be the solution for anyone seeking for a demanding challenge. Take issues from the post-patch gameplay and go from there.

Because the feedback post are too often given by people who are unable to emphasize the issues they have and are limited to simple buzzwords like "feels better, feels worse"
Not true. I've seen lots of examples on twitter where user players are being thrown around, tackled from behind, knocked to the ground by AI and either nothing is given, or is a foul for AI.
Overall feeling on the ball might sometimes be described by 'feeling better or worse', but when it comes to fouls - they have plenty of video examples to go by.

Edit:
Here's random example, one of many.

Last edited:
Interesting finding for the lovers of" @Lami" sliders, Antonyc1977 from pesgaming posted that experimenting with the stat "TIGHT POSSESSION" affects the body checks/charges. Still under research at the moment.
I read the post. It seems to suggest they reduced it to 40 in order to stop attackers holding off his defenders (makes sense, but I want some players to be able to hold off better than others). Also a bi-product (which he stated might be coincidental at this point) he said that the defenders (now also with tight possession 40) weren't barging into him any more. Personally I don't want to stop either behaviour in players. I would just like players to not actually fall over quite so easily!

That's because European Football kills dribblers.
I've seen plenty of GREAT players with such an incredible personal imprint from South America go to European clubs and totally lose what made them stand out in the first place. Aguero (as great as he is now as a CF) is a great example.

He used to do that type of play all the time.
But they brainwashed him when he went to Atletico Madrid. Some people call that evolve.

So today it is all about passing. Holding on to the ball as little as possible.
So you don't see as many aggressive tackles as in the 90s or 80s.

Maradona used to be practically annihilated, almost criminally tackled.
Refs punish those type of tackles more severely these days and players get rid of the ball quickly.

This is a vital point to make. Compared to just 10-15 years ago, the game has become starkly sped up and standardized. This also means less individual room for each player to express their personality on the ball, thus less variety between players and positions. Stronger athletes, dumber football. Bigger egos, less individuality. While teams and players today might be 'better' than past greats in terms of raw power and speed, it's mostly just quantity over quality.

This game will not see a Ronaldinho anymore. But at least we can be optimistic about PES again, as long as they don't implement VAR. :P

Doing a league as Juve, Ronaldo not as effective as I thought he'd be.Mandzukic is a great target man, good at holding the ball up and isnt easily shrugged off the ball,love the individuality this year.

The atmosphere is dreadful but I don't think they've helped themselves with the sound mix either. I happened to be playing with headphones on earlier and I was picking up chants I'd never heard before because they're so quiet. The chants should be echoing round the ground not something faintly in the distance.

I also had a bizarre thing where I subbed off my goal scorer, the crowd all got up to give him a standing ovation but the audio as he came off was just silence! You could see them clapping in the stands but there was no sound :LOL:

I’ve switched over from the other game this year, first time owning a PES game and it’s been incredible.

Atmosphere (and commentary for that matter) are two things that PES doesn’t do better then FIFA.

I actually downloaded chants from FanChants and put them on a USB and play a low volume during the game to increase the ambience haha. I wish you could just import them like PS3 but Sony botch that technology which sucks.

Has anyone else done this or am I just an odd ball?

Last edited:
How do you press the CPU when they pass the ball at their back? My two attackers are inefficient and my midfielder position themselves in front of my back four even though I set them at the max position for midfielders on the team sheet.
Turn gegenpress on? Level up att/def level? Any tip?

Does anyone know the answer to this? I’m having a similar struggle?

I’m at work so forgive me, I didn’t look through the remaining 107 messages to see haha.

This is a vital point to make. Compared to just 10-15 years ago, the game has become starkly sped up and standardized. This also means less individual room for each player to express their personality on the ball, thus less variety between players and positions. Stronger athletes, dumber football. Bigger egos, less individuality. While teams and players today might be 'better' than past greats in terms of raw power and speed, it's mostly just quantity over quality.

This game will not see a Ronaldinho anymore. But at least we can be optimistic about PES again, as long as they don't implement VAR. :P

Just to be clear, you're talking about the game of football, not PES right. As if you mean the game of football, I'm sorry, but you're making a huge assumption here.

Just because footballers are required to be bigger, stronger and faster doesn't make them any less intelligent. It's just far less easy to be a Ronaldinho these days. The quicker and stronger the base is for opponents, the less time you have to show flair and therefore it's harder to use it effectively. The exceptionally skilled players still excel and you can see great flair. It just requires MORE talent to do so and some of the players with great flair and not much else won't make it near enough to the top because they don't work hard enough to be at a physical peak. This isn't dumbing down, it's raising the bar on athleticism.

Clearly said: The demo gameplay and its forgiveness by the CPU can't be the solution for anyone seeking for a demanding challenge.

Maybe we shouldn't be judging how good the demo AI was in a 5 minute game only in Exhibition mode? We never did get to see the demo AI in ML or a Cup/League mode after all.

Right now I can play against the AI Barca or Bayern with a Vasco or Colo Colo i.e. demo teams, in the full game Exhibition and dominate the AI exactly like I did in the demo. Different story however in a Konami Cup...

Back
Top Bottom