Brasileirão 2014 - sauce won again! Bastard! - Congrats Cruzeiro!

Re: Brasileirão 2010 | Flu é Campeão!

Finally! An important part of Brazilian football is restored.

Copa do Brasil is a different tournament mate, you can't compare it to a National League. The Cup tournaments are usually in a second level of importance.

By the way, take a close look in that link you've shown. Pay attention at what is written in Corinthians part. Wikiboys joking around. :LOL:

:LOL: Wasn't like that when I pasted.

And you are spot on - Copa do Brasil is a different tournament. As was Taça Brasil, and Robertão as well. You see my point? It's absurd to consider them all the same.

Do you really think Palmeiras won 2 'National Leagues' in the same year? Those tournaments were all cups. In one of them Santos were crowned champions after playing only FOUR matches.

Copa do Brasil is a cup, man. Simple as. The others were, of course, different tournaments with different formats, but they were equivalent to leagues.
Hell, if you analyse it so strictly, all Brasileirões were cups before 2003 (when the European model was first adopted). Before then, the teams qualified in rounds (sometimes similar to group stages) and then went to head-to-head playoffs ("Mata-mata"). And CBF used to change the damn format EVERY year! :LOL:

I know it's strange to award Palmeiras for 2 titles in the same year, but what other choice do they have? If they're giving "Robertão" and "Taça Brasil" they same weight, they have to do this.

It's a matter of trying to organise the mess that Brazilian football is.

Every tournament has its importance to label it is pointless in my opinion.
I know it was an important tournament back there, Cruzerio beat Pelé's Santos by 6-2, I was far from born but I'm proud of that achievement and I know the story.
So I dont need CBFs or whoever approval for that, when someone asks me how many national championship we have I say one in the current format and another one on an old format but with an epic win, and 4 cups etc :P

After a brief looking at the history and based in some articles I've been reading for days, I'm forced to change my opinion. Few weeks ago I said and believe the unification should be implemented to restore the plenty true of Brazilian football history. Now I think it's unfair.

Let me explain why I've changed my position. Pelé's Santos team was fantastic, absolutely amazing I must say but, do you think it's fair to compare a four games campaign with recent Fluminense achievement for example? I don't think so. Robertão was a different tournament, it was almost a league as we actually know. This one yes, it might be considered a title. I'm with you sauce on titles' count.

By the way, aren't you worried about the new Atlético Mineiro? Richarlyson, Jobson, Patric. They seem promising.

Oh I thought my post was a little confunsing but you got it, its neither a Brasileirão or a Copa do Brasil its a important title that should not be forgotten.

About Atletico, yea again they are making a promising team, but I'm far from worried, their board likes these types of signings, making big announcements but in the end theres something they can't handle, I honestly thinks their fans, players and staff need to be more humble, if they start winning a couple of matches in Brasileirão they make a fuss, heck they make a fuss just by getting these kind of players.
I keep telling my Atleticanos friends to forget about their fame of being great fans and start thinking about winning, but I think I don't 'get' what they do. Our rivarly is probably the one with most different supporters, though some of our new fans are very similar to them.

Speaking of great fans, Bahia is back, just thinking about their uniform bring back some good memories, its my 2nd favorite :P but these days they have to many ugly sponsors.

Yeah, the criteria back in the 60's was different, and the formats as usual... It is unfair to give the same weight, I agree. Santos entered already in an advanced stage, they had all the big stars.

But what are they gonna do? Declare no champions in Brazil at a time when we had already won the WC twice?? Football was supposed to be already big and important in Brazil, especially cause our major players still played in the country.

But the championship was very disorganised with ridiculous formats... So we will never know if Santos would be out of their depth in a marathon like today's Brasileirão... or would they thrash everyone regardless?

Ronaldinho will announce his team today. Reports it could be anyone from Flamengo or Gremio.

I just have one question. How can Gremio afford his 8 mill/year wage?

Ronaldinho will announce his team today. Reports it could be anyone from Flamengo or Gremio.

I just have one question. How can Gremio afford his 8 mill/year wage?

I think nobody can afford that in Brazil without straining finances. IMO, as much as he is/was a fantastic player, it won't pay off in footballing terms. If anything, the guy will sell a lot of shirts, but as for performance he's going downhill with that attitude of his and, of course, his aging.

Flamengo are trying to punch way above their weight. They're meeting with a pool of investors to raise the necessary funds, and so on, but I don't see it happening.

I think Gremio will take him, firstly because he is a home grown product of Gremio. And of course, Gremio will be in the Libertadores this year, so this year's income will be much higher than Flamengo's.

I think our football pace can make Ronaldinho football worth the investment, the matches here are very favorable to his style.
Of course considering how hungry he will be, not churrasco gaúcho hungry :P

Yeap, I hope he doesn't get here with the same hunger as the other Ronaldo :LOL:

Yes Ronaldinho is well suited for our league's style and pace. Plus, he'll have lots of free kicks to take. But he's more and more unprofessional by the day!

Think, he's like 29 and still should be playing at top level. However he's lifestyle isn't that one of an athlete, he's partying all the time, on permanent vacations. Did you see his latest photos from Floripa? :P

I don't get guys like him and Adriano. I simply don't.

He just won everything he can win very fast. Maybe the NT will let him stay on track a a bit if Menezes is seriously considering, but if that pressure is off, I can really see him going fat. Good thing there is not another player named Ronaldinho out there so we won't have to distinguish them by calling him the fat one. :D

ronaldinho.jpg

Still he is very entertaining. Some of my friends watch Milan games just to see Ronaldinho and they were always impressed by his passing and skills.

This got to be his best video on youtube to get you excited. :D

YouTube - Ronaldinho Skills at Barcelona

Last edited:

The Ronaldinho saga is getting better and better. It is almost an auction actually. Oh money, money, money...

Other news, Atlético Mineiro continues their moves. Mancini (former Inter Milan) and Léo Silva (former Cruzeiro) signed with Galo. A big surprise for me this last one.

Re: Brasileirão 2011 | State Championships

So Ronaldo has one last season in him, Roberto Carlos is still there.

Rivaldo (albeit basically a pensioner) and Ronaldinho are back, Fred is there, Deco is there and I'm sure I'm missing a few more. Adriano I reckon is likely to go back to Brazil again soon because he's not exactly doing well with Roma and I also think Luis Fabiano is quite likely to go back as well within a few years.

Anyone reckon that with all these massive stars returning, the younger players that are usually likely to get snapped up by European teams might like to stay and make the league more competitive? Or is it mostly about money and therefore they won't care if they're playing with better Brazilian players?

I don't know. Europe is always going to be the dream of every young player. Maybe with these names the small or midclass european teams will have a smaller chance but the big teams will always appeal to them.

So Ronaldo has one last season in him, Roberto Carlos is still there.

Rivaldo (albeit basically a pensioner) and Ronaldinho are back, Fred is there, Deco is there and I'm sure I'm missing a few more. Adriano I reckon is likely to go back to Brazil again soon because he's not exactly doing well with Roma and I also think Luis Fabiano is quite likely to go back as well within a few years.

Anyone reckon that with all these massive stars returning, the younger players that are usually likely to get snapped up by European teams might like to stay and make the league more competitive? Or is it mostly about money and therefore they won't care if they're playing with better Brazilian players?

Money. That's why an high prospect young talent like Giuliano signed with unknown Ucranian team Dnipro few days ago.

This is a real problem not just for Brazil but all CONMEBOL.Kids are seen just as tools for raising money not persons.

There are several young Brazilian players who had enormous promise who have had their careers blighted by premature moves.

However with the Brazilian economy in a healthy state there might be a more of a chance for Brazilian clubs to hold onto their youngsters for longer and indeed attract more of the rest of the continents top players to the Brazilian championship.

Well Hernanes, for example, managed to stay in Brazil until 24/25.... if clubs really tried, they can hold them. I think it's their agents that are preventing itl

Ronaldinho sucks! mercenary!

Gremio 6 times national championship of Brazil!
2 Libertadores
1 world club champion
1 Recopa Sulamericana

Cry Inter son of Mazembe!

I don't know. Europe is always going to be the dream of every young player. Maybe with these names the small or midclass european teams will have a smaller chance but the big teams will always appeal to them.
That happens with any player in any club. They always want to play in a better/famous club and get more money. IMO brazilian clubs are investing more to bring good players and to keep their youngs prospects, at least until they receive a very good offer.

Neymar is a good example. A 18-years-old player who receives one of the highest wages of Brasileirão

Last edited:

Neymar takes almost as much as Pato and Thiago Silva take at Milan.

Back
Top Bottom