Brasileirão 2014 - sauce won again! Bastard! - Congrats Cruzeiro!

The_Special_One

I like Unicorns
17 August 2007
Cascais
Estoril | Knicks
The Brazilian League, usually called Brasileirão is, "the most difficult national championship to win because it is so wide open" in Rogério Ceni's words. In some ways São Paulo keeper is right. In Italy, England or Spain there are 3 or 4 teams clearly above the others. In Brazil is different. Everyone can win.
So I decided to open a thread dedicated to the Brasileirão. I know we have a few brazilian friends around here and I think some others enjoy this great league.

Atlético Mineiro, Atlético Paranaense, Botafogo, Coritiba, Cruzeiro, Figueirense, Flamengo, Fluminense, Goiás, Grémio, Internacional, Ipatinga, Náutico, Palmeiras, Portuguesa, Santos, São Paulo, Sport, Vasco da Gama, Vitória.
Now let's bet lads.

Last edited:
Re: Brasileirão 2008

Used to watch the Brazilian League a couple of years ago.

When is the new season starting?

Season started last night Abhi.

Fixture 1
Saturday results:
Vitória 0-2 Cruzeiro
São Paulo 0-1 Grêmio
Náutico 2-1 Goiás

Today we will have:
Ipatinga - Atlético Paranaense
Coritiba - Palmeiras
Botafogo - Sport
Internacional - Vasco
Atlético Mineiro - Fluminense
Portuguesa - Figueirense
Flamengo - Santos

Until the transfer window opens this championship gonna be awesome.
You can expect one of the most balanced leagues in years.

But I guess the window is opening soon right?

So every club will lose 3-4 important players, and level will go down as usual, I do hate that,
but one thing I realized over the years, every season by September some new talented players shows up from places no one expect.
Its defo a shaky unpredictable competition and each year the fans are enjoying it more even with transfers problems.

But I think Palmeiras are favourites this season, even being hard to predict who they will loose, because they have money and probably will sign loads of players.

We (Cruzeiro) maybe loosing Marcelo Moreno, apparently everyone wants this guy, I've seen rumours of Man Utd, Real Madrid, Shaktar.
Maybe we loose Wagner, our best player by far, to France, our Keeper to Italy and possibly some more players so I think we are off title race :(

I was watching Brasileirao 3 or 4 years ago. At that time, Corinthinas was great with Tevez, Jo and Ricardinho.

Which team is the best at this time?

Watched the Figurense - Deportes (?) match. Was one hell of a match. 5-5!

But I guess the window is opening soon right?
Transfer window in Europe opens 1st July. Some Brazilian rising stars are expecting to go to Europe.

Which team is the best at this time?
Probably Palmeiras. They have good players, they have money, they have good conditions of work, etc. But, as I said before, this league is so wide open. Teams such as São Paulo, Flamengo or Cruzeiro are very strong too.

Watched the Figurense - Deportes (?) match. Was one hell of a match. 5-5!
You watched Portuguesa – Figueirense. What a match wasn’t it? Unfortunately I didn’t watched the game.
I watched São Paulo and Palmeiras matches. The favorites have lost their matches which proves my theory. This league is so unpredictable. Great game by Coritiba. The newcomers beat Palmeiras 2-0.

Fixture 1
Náutico 2-1 Goiás
São Paulo 0-1 Grêmio
Vitória 0-2 Cruzeiro
Ipatinga 0-1 Atlético Paranaense
Coritiba 2-0 Palmeiras
Internacional 1-0 Vasco da Gama
Botafogo 2-0 Sport
Atlético Mineiro 0-0 Fluminense
Portuguesa 5-5 Figueirense
Flamengo 3-1 Santos

Who are the defending champions?

São Paulo. However this year they don't seem as strong as they were in the past. Nevertheless, they are in the battle. If they win this season they will be the first club to win the Brasileirão three times followed, trichampions.

I watched Palmeiras and Cruzeiro game :)
Coritiba played one hell of a match I agree, 2nd goal was brilliant.
but is a long competition and I'm still beting on Palmeiras.

and the defending champions are São Paulo, they have won the last two, something very unusual here, no one won it three times in a row.

Sauce, it's true that Marcelo Moreno is going to Manchester United? I have listen something about it in Globo. Unfortunately I never saw him playing.

Shaktar are coming strong after him, they already made two offers, the last one 7M Euros, but he denied, I think he wants to move to a bigger league.

Manchester United, Real Madrid and other clubs already showed interest but nothing concrete.

I think he suits more EPL than La Liga, but don't expect a big impact to whoever get him.

He is a good CF, very hard working, good header, moves a lot and force the opponent defenders.
But he is not that clinical yet, although he have good numbers, he misses a lot of easy chances, score some very hard ones really inconsistent finishing, and he is no that technical to La Liga game.
Since last year he improved a lot and honestly surprised me, I think he is a good buy.

Thanks Sauce. I need to check some Cruzeiro games. You were very strong in Mineirão 2008 (5-0 against Atlético Mineiro) and I expect you can challenge Paulistas and Cariocas.

Thanks Sauce. I need to check some Cruzeiro games. You were very strong in Mineirão 2008 (5-0 against Atlético Mineiro) and I expect you can challenge Paulistas and Cariocas.

Whoa, nice avatar man. Is that Aline Morais?

btw, Roma is also after Marcelo Moreno now, according to globo.com

we've got to remember that the teams that still playing Copa Libertadores or Copa do Brasil aren't giving attention to the league...

cmon sauce dont be so negative..i trully think cruzeiro has a good shot at the championship..evan if we loose moreno..im sure jonathas, jaja or another player will take his place just fine..
the BIG problem would be to lose wagner..hes totally indispensable.

btw guys, i think u missed talking about the team that for me is the strongest team in this championship: Internacional
i do think they come to this championship stronger than palmeiras or anyone..they have the best attacking couple in my opinion with nilmar and fernandao, and also have great substitute players such as iarley.
they also have a great "maestro" in Alex, specially if he can keep his helth. their defence is as solid as u can get, indio is a great CB , sorondo and orozco a fairly good to.
their keeper Clemer is shaky, but its just a matter of time for the raising star of their top prospect keeper Renan starts shining as the owner of their number 1 shirt.

my head says inter will win, my heart? well offcouser it says cruzeiro...

but i would definatly be happy enouhg if we get a libertadores spot(top 4) and see our rivals atletico mineiro get regalated , specially in their 100th anniversery.

VAAMOS
VAAMOS
CRUZEIROOO

I hate to say this but you have all forgotten about SC Internacional they have a strong team with players like Nilmar and Fernandão that suites perfectly for a long competition such as the league, I hate to say this because my team is Grêmio FBPA and they are our biggest rivals, even though I don't want them to be champions they are the favorites in my opinion

Well I never really trusted our attack even last year when we had the best numbers, but imo the reason for that high numbers was the crazy game style, not the players.

And for the season we lost Alecsandro and Roni, not that they were that good, but we did not replaced them.

This season I tought Moreno and Guilherme wouldn't be good enough, but Moreno improved a lot his finishing,
and Guilherme still a inconsistent player, he is also improving in some aspects but I still don't trust him as Moreno.

So I think one more striker, or even two, would be great, like Leandro Amaral for example, one of the best strikers around,
Perellas should try experienced players instead of this young prospects that will be sold every transfer window.

About Inter don't get me wrong I do rate them and believe they can make it along with Flamengo, Fluminense, São Paulo and maybe us.
[not in the order I posted it:-pp]

This year almost every game is "losable" we don't have anyone like América-RN last year.

The only reason I think Palmeiras will win is their money, not their coach, cause apparently they want to make a strong squad and a squad win long competitions.

Edit: Well big news: Keirrison will stay in Coritiba till December. :-pp Palmeiras go down a few points in my list

Last edited:

Fixture 2
Vasco da Gama 3-1 Portuguesa
Sport 0-0 Vitória
Cruzeiro 1-0 Botafogo
Grêmio 0-0 Flamengo
Goiás 1-1 Atlético Mineiro
Fluminense 0-2 Náutico
Atlético Paranaense 1-1 São Paulo
Santos 4-0 Ipatinga
Figueirense 2-1 Coritiba
Palmeiras 2-1 Internacional

Grêmio played so much better than Flamengo... Shame Bruno made his best match thus far =/

We lost to Nautico at home, damn!
But it was with the reserves, just 17, 18 yrs old players.

But don't be fooled, today's Libertadores match against São Paulo will be a different story, the team will be complete with the return of Thiago Silva and Dario Conca. Hopefully Flu will advance to the semifinals!

We lost to Nautico at home, damn!
But it was with the reserves, just 17, 18 yrs old players.

But don't be fooled, today's Libertadores match against São Paulo will be a different story, the team will be complete with the return of Thiago Silva and Dario Conca. Hopefully Flu will advance to the semifinals!

i hope that too!
i hate sao paulo....

GO FLU!

Big match for Santos tonight, can they beat America by 2 or more goals ? I think America will get through.

...And we went through to the semifinals :mrgreen:

So happy about it! Now we have to beat the toughest side of the competition to proceed to the finals.

Santos couldn't make it. Cabañas is class!

Back
Top Bottom