WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just got home, went to get the mail outside and WHOA!! my pes 2008 is here, ok i am tired had a long day... school and work but imma get me something to eat, then fireup my ps3, hey jflores, i challenge u to a game tonight!!!! lol

EDIT: Wow gotta admit, the intro is wack!

Last edited:
Just had some fun games online, but the defenders are pissing me off.
I had a flat back four and turned the side-backs into centre-backs, and also spaced them out.
But when my opponent played balls out wide they all ran in inappropriate directions, leaving space for attackers.
Anyone got some tips on how to set them up in the formation screen?
I'm ok at defending on the park, but there must be a way to make them hold their line.

To be honest guys I have just about got over the fact that Pes2008 is just awful in so many ways, but my main worry is Konami going down the EA route of years of poor games (but with good sales for a while as Konami lives off of their previous reputation).

As such this might be the start of the end of PES as an attempt at anything like a serious simulation of football. Cheap goals from awful goalies, 150MPH cross field balls, and goals scored from 50yards out etc... just isn't my idea of a enjoyable gaming experience. Maybe some people will love this arcade version of football but it would be a real shame for Konami to go down that route.

No doubt I'll be told to STFU, stop moaning etc. (the normal highly intelligent level of 'debate' around these parts) but is it so hard for people to accept that a lot of real PES fans might be less than happy this year?

I wonder how many PES fans will be massively sceptical about the hype about next years game from the likes of certain people on Evo Web, IGN, WENB etc.?

I know :(
Wing-play is again by far the most effective way to play, and i find it hard to make my defenders take up the right positions.
Ah well, i exploit it just as much as anyone :)

so i just played my first game, i used Newcastle UTD and got trashed 0-3 by Ac Milan, a nice Pirlo Free kick and one from Ronaldo and Inzaghi, no slowdowns or nothing, well i guess cus i am using a U.S ps3, installing the game now....

I know :(
Wing-play is again by far the most effective way to play, and i find it hard to make my defenders take up the right positions.
Ah well, i exploit it just as much as anyone :)
It's funny how PES conditions you, I watched my brother-in-law try to play the "other" football game for the first 10/20 times, and I realised from watching him that I was exactly the same. Finger permanently on sprint no matter what player you select, no attacking moves but wing-play, trying to cut-back every time you get the ball on the side of the area, triple-tapping cross to try and get a deflected own goal... He was losing every game and the more you said "try taking your finger off sprint and attacking down the middle once in a while", the more he was groaning like a teenager, "WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO, IT'S NOT RIGHT, SHIT GAME"... :)

I do it in Football Manager as well, all I try to get my team to do is play down the wings. Terrible, Konami the subliminal messagers... ;)

I love to play through the middle because it's the kind of football i like to watch.
I have good games versus the cpu doing this, but online and multiplayer games are frantic wing-play sprint fests which is unrealisting and boring, but the easiest way to play.

The world chamions and champions league winners used 442 effectively, but in PES the midfield is an arid wasteland.

It's funny people being all apologist for PES2008 by saying it's the first bad game, first backward step, first declining version of the franchise, for me the franchise has been declining since about PES3 due to lack of innovation/improvement in the master league.....

Last edited:
PES5 was a worthy attempt at simulation I thought.
I would say the decline began from PES6 gameplay-wise.
Obviously feature-wise the decline has been permanent.

Without resorting to "because they're idiots" - I wonder why they take simple features out though?

Simplest thing that comes to mind is the kit changing stuff. They implemented that shirt/shorts/socks combo thing and people were like, wow, this is great! A surprising little change. Then they took it out and made it the same as it ever was, and now you can't choose kits at all. It makes no sense, if they're upgrading a game the base code is the same, why would you go out of your way to remove stuff like that?

The only possible reason that comes to mind is that they didn't have time to make those little kit graphics of the shirts/shorts/socks, but come on, I know those faces are amazing but you've got to devote some talent to the little things...

I admit that the game has many flaws and it's far from perfect. But it still holds it's own with it's solid gameplay. I really hope Seabass has started working on next year's version and delivers accordingly.

We shall see.

Hey Vokal_guy, tomorrow night I'll go online and play against you. I hope the online has been fixed.

I have to get some shut eye in the meantime.

Peace!

i am online and i am playing my first game and this idiot keeps pausing the game every time the ball is out... don't even get me started on the lags

It's funny people being all apologist for PES2008 by saying it's the first bad game, first backward step, first declining version of the franchise, for me the franchise has been declining since about PES3 due to lack of innovation/improvement in the master league.....

I kinda agree with the lack of innovation in the masterleague etc since pes3. Pes3 im guessing was in line with the we7international (ntsc japanese version) game which like most of the winning elevens was much better than the later released pro evolution (pal)versions. And infact we7int, was one of my all time fav versions of the konami/seabass games.

Although i think we7int was one of the best titles, i do disagree that the the franchise has been on a total decline... since there is little doubt to me that jlwe10cc (Winning Eleven 10 JLeague Club Championship) is the best game of the series to date..infact the best football simulation on any system ive played to date... Yes pes2008 on ps3 is worse (dont know about the pes2008 for ps2 as i havent played it) and yes i like it better than fifa2008 on ps3..
It may be on the ps2, and lack some of the animations (well alot of them) of pes2008, but its the ultimate we/pes simulation. Jlwe10cc also has a great masterleague..
Although u cant start in a division 2 (can only do this for the japanese league), u can start out in a first league (eg. serie a), and qualify for all the major competitions in the world depending on what place you come, and it includes major cup comps etc, but to my amazement also the world club challenge, where the best teams of each continent play eachother, eg. milan representing europe, and wow.. they have Adelaide united representing australia's top team..
I think, apart from not having a serie b etc, its a great masterleague.. better than previous versions..

oh also.. ive noticed in we10jlcc (since ive been playing it non stop after seeing a disapointing pes2008 on ps3) that the keeps are so much more realistic than previous versions, running styles are much better than pes2008, and there are no more CUT-BACK GOALS... well there are, but much harder to do than in lets say pes6 or we10 where u could do it almost 100% with certainty of goal..

well to summarise, i think after playing pes2008 on ps3, and all the previous pes/we's on ps2 (excluding pes2008 for ps2), we10jlcc is the best version seabass has ever developed (2nd was we7int).. and infact is the the no.1 footy sim on any system to date.. even fifa2008 on ps3 which i think was a good attempt..

cheers,
steve

Flores, like Junka suggests you have the newest version!
That means that the problem is not that you have an older version. It should be that your Amercan console has not that emotion chip, so a good chance that is the problem. PES 2008 seems to have problems with it in the European versions I guess.

I just want to say that I received my PS3 copy today. I have played in most stadiums and have not experienced any slowdowns on gameplay or replays. The game runs smooth as a baby's bottom and I am having a blast playing it. I have a 42' LCD Samsung TV. Note, that I haven't even stored the game's data on the HDD yet. I guess I am one of the lucky ones, however it could be the TV's. Who knows..All I know is that I cannot put the game down. The gameplay is slower than the 360 demo and very satisfying.

The only thing I am having trouble with at the moment is the PS3 Trigger buttons. They feel very uncomfortable and unnatural.

That's all for now.

Back to some more playing fun!
;-)

Han I have amercan console and I have played in most stadiums and have not experienced any slowdowns on gameplay or replays too
This makes me wonder :-k :-k

WOOOO NOW I KNOW US PS3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

so i just played my first game, i used Newcastle UTD and got trashed 0-3 by Ac Milan, a nice Pirlo Free kick and one from Ronaldo and Inzaghi, no slowdowns or nothing, well i guess cus i am using a U.S ps3, installing the game now....

I just got my copy...US PS3 btw

NO slowdown at all...plays amazingly well

fucking haters...Never trust online fan boys!

Last edited:
Really? wow! no wonder. I hope that this is the reason for my smooth gameplay copy. I really do for everyone's sake that has this game. I tell you, the PS3 HDMI graphics of this game are not out of this world, but are very impressive and just enough for me to enjoy. The only downside I am having problems with right now is the goalie dropping balls in front of goal.

Loving the game though.
about the goalies try and press triangle right at the moment when the opposition player is about to shoot is a bit different this time around. if you dont press triangle the goakeeper will rebound the ball in his net or to a striker nearby.

Any news on Konami patch, I see there is no mention of any problems on their site, not that I expected them to apologize.. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, maybe they will put it out quietly somewhere? I tried to play again but I must be one of the unlucky ones, it's just as bad on all my Tvs LCD or CRT... The fact it hurts your eyes after a while is the real killer..

Yeah that's fine but if in doing so you berate PES as if it just jizzed on your pillow then I'm gonna give you a funny eye if you're back this time next year licking said jizz.

There is method to this madness.

What you are asking people to do is to be loyal to a video game.

You can't be loyal to a damn video game. It's just that...a game. Talking bad about it isn't going to hurt its feelings.

What you need to realize is that all this negativity you are hearing just might get Konami on their toes (I doubt it judging by how they are going now), hear all the advice that fans are dishing out and come back with a much better game. Constructive criticism is a very good thing.

badgerman said:
I will argue this to the grave.

Seabob down the street might have said that it was the base for next-gen versions but that would have been nothing more than promotional spiel.

It's not true, ever.

(la la la)

Ill, again sorry, I'll see your "La La La" argument and raise you with a "do ba da ba dee boop". So there! :D

Shocking! PES and your PS3 back and get a full refund? I hope it breaks mine.

It broke mine as well, not only was the game full of framerate problems and slowdown, it actually fucked my PS3 after 13 days !!!

I took it back, got a refund for my PS3, then bought another and got a free game and Blue Ray Movie. And another £10 on my Game Loyalty card.

So it's kind-of confirmed that the European PS3 causes slowdowns due to the emotionship... Konami already knows it, even before I called them to tell about this. They also said the are pretty sure they have isolated they problem, so that is good news. I can't help to think this emotion chip did the damage...

I'll probably start one, like a survey, something like:

PES 2008 Playstation 3 Slowdown Survey

Pre-condition: Install the game on the HD.

GAME
- PES 2008 Game Region: Europe ( Holland )
- PS3 Edition: (20 GB / 60 GB / 80 GB / 40 GB); (Asia / Europe / USA / Australia / Others) 60 GB Europe
- Firmware Number: ? 1.93
- Free Space in HD left: ? No idea: More then enough.

SLOWDOWN
Far Camera Not in use

Wide Camera
- Slowdown during Corners/Many Players in Screen? slightly
- Slowdown during Replays? severe
- Slowdown during General Play? no
- Which Stadiums? Arena, did not try all stadiums
- Other Slowdown Condition? no

Someone with the game could try using this?

I think the problem of your questions is that most need to do a lot of try-out on the PS3 to answer ( like howmuch disk is used or the stadiums with lag )
That is probably the reason for the lack of response. I did enter my answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom