WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh God.

I've played the game for about an hour. So far I've played five games, all of them on Top Player. It's been quite difficult to adapt to PES's gameplay after playing FIFA for a month, but since Konami are still using 95% of the old-gen gameplay, it won't take too long.

Alright. I've noticed the game speed is just as quick as last year's double speed option. The pace is insane. I can't believe Seabass has ever watched a football match.

I haven't scored a single goal yet, but I've conceded quite a few - I'd say about five. Well, out of those five, the goalkeepers are to blame in two or three. They're just crap. They won't catch powerless shots or headers (I've conceded one after a corner that even a 6 year-old boy would have caught). Then, if the shots are powerful, the goalkeepers will just help the ball to go in and then blame the defenders.

Everyone has agreed FIFA's response times aren't good, but to be honest this year's PES aren't brilliant either. When you are under pressure or an opponent is getting closer to your player, no matter what you press, the game will do nothing. This has happened to me twice - I press the shoot button and my player manages to get the ball stolen after 1 or 2 seconds because the game didn't let him do anything. Oh well.

Well, there's more. Though I installed the game when I first launched it and turned the stadium effects off, the game still plays like a low quality .gif. When playing in Wide it's just too bad to be true. It feels like it's playing at 5 fps. What the fuck, Konami?

I'm going to play a bit more, but I'm not impressed at all.

I've just uploaded a video (poor quality) to show what I'm talking about with the CPU delaying button response (see Miguel's post above for a better idea of what I mean).

CLICK HERE

England v Turkey, I'm England. When I get less than a foot away from the guy, I press stab-tackle. Nothing happens. The Turkish guy turns, runs off with the ball, and then my player stab-tackles.

You can make an excuse, you can say the Turkish player was talented and dragged the ball out of the way at the right time, but he didn't - he didn't perform a trick, he just started running away while I didn't do anything, despite pressing the button. He was moving slowly with the ball, I should have easily been able to get my foot to it, but he only reacts to my button-pressing when there's absolutely no danger of him touching it.

I mean, just look at the momentum of John Terry, he's going past the player and not even looking at the ball despite the fact that I'm "pointing" towards him, not pressing sprint, and only pressing stab-tackle when I'm close enough. There is nothing else you can do as a human player to stab-tackle that ball, and the game decides whether to let you, or not.

What a load of shit. Sorry, but single-player is plagued with this and multiplayer is the same as always, offline and online. Outrageous.

Last edited:
I hate the game.
I've been looking forward to it for months, It's the only game I'm obsessive about, but this game sucks a huge cock.
If the PS2 version is shit, I will be depressed for a whole year.

Does anyone know how to load a photo for player faces from a PC using a USB?

Everytime i go to load it says 'There is no saved data'

Ive asked my missus to pick me a copy up whilst shopping, I cant tempt not trying it, i had a go Sunday, but I need to test it again.

Well I have inserted a couple of kits now.

The key is the try and get the colour as flat as possible but that isn'y easy :lol:

unitedkq7.png

There is some hope at least.

keep up the good work m8:)

I thought the comentary was good, but in masterleague it's superb champion giving his 2 pennys at the beginning and end of matches is very good.

Its a shame about lawro though!

Bloody Hell!

All this negative posts about the game are really depressing me. Thank Goodness I have Ratchet&Clank,Conan,The Orange box and Halo to keep me busy. And later on, Assasins Creed and COD4 should extend my occupation some more.

Bloody Hell!

All this negative posts about the game are really depressing me. Thank Goodness I have Ratchet&Clank,Conan,The Orange box and Halo to keep me busy. And later on, Assasins Creed and COD4 should extend my occupation some more.

have u ordered the game yet?

Btw i am sure of a couple of things: the Jap version of WE is gonna be better and the euro2008 of Fifa is also gonna be better. WE is always more balanced and I am sure we'll have plenty of stadia and no slowdown, HB studios which usually develops EA champions league games is pretty good at making good tweaks and they'll work on the response issue.

I wanna keep positive but so far both PES and FIFa are nothing short of disappointing in their own ways.

P.S.
And give me a bloody next gen rugby game ffs.

I took my copy back and swapped discs the other must have been faulty. played the last 2hrs without crashing or freezin. It is a decent game despite it's flaws. I agree with jack, the cpu cheats are still there in all their glory so I'll be spending most time multiplayer and online(when they sort out the david blaine disappearing ball and torvil and dean ice skating crap). But at least it's playable for now, could've and should've been a lot better.

In other fora people have reported that the pc version crashes so i guess there must be some problems. or maybe they got the famous "beta version".

How much better is WE2008 expected to be? I don't want to get my fingers burnt again, I honestly can't believe this game is that bad, i'm not into OTT comments to gain notoriety, but PES2008 after more hours of gameplay only shows me its negatives

Last edited:
My feeling is that is gonna be a solid improvement.

Did anyone asked SeaBass whether WE is gonna be different?

Anyway this year they release WE2007 america version, than the Club championship than PES 2008 next gen and now in a month WE 2008 next gen and they are also working on the Wii version (and maybe i forgot the Korean version).

It is an awful amount of versions i guess, it would be about time to make it more rational and have a world wide version????

Last edited:
Hi guys, Ieatfanboys here, hi to Jack, winston, charlie and everyone. Jack I love the fact your impressions started off so positive and gradually degraded into realising the truth, which is that the game needs to be ripped apart and rebuilt from scratch. (paraphrasing winston there) My own impressions of the game followed this trend in exactly the same way, at first when I got the full game on Wednesday (pc version) I was quite impressed, but by now (friday) im already contemplating uninstalling it.

I remember people assuring us Teamvision would be an end to cpu cheating, come on, lets be realistic here, the game engine is 98% the same as PES6, teamvision is a gimmick, i havent noticed it at all and if its there on any level, it doesnt provide much consolation when i see my player standing behind a defender trying to anally violate him, "no i wont make an intelligent run im quite happy standing here behind an opposition player, OH, actually i will make a run, at completely the wrong time so there is no chance i can receive the ball, keep running like forest gump until im 30 yards offside and then make absolutely no effort to get back."

Even if we2008 is an improvement, thats all it will be, it will be a few tacked on animations, with the same antiquated, flawed game engine.

Dont even get me started on the game modes, master league, editing facilities etc. the only reason i can think of allowing this game to take up the space on my hard drive is because ive never had pes on the pc before and am interested to see how far the patching can take it. If I was a console user or especially a ps3 user id be sending an anthrax letter to konami headquarters right now. I bought it from shop to as well so only £17, but it didnt stop me being pissed off today when i received the legit copy that when i tried to play a network game i was greeted with NETWORK ERROR, brilliant, just fantastic, money well spent.

How funny is it that there is no untucked shirts though, that guy who was going on about it the whole time got so much stick from Thomasgoal and he was right all along ahah, another inexplicable omission from the crack smokers at konami.

Oh and in case im banned again id like to say to the PES fanboys, pull your heads out of your asses. This moment is a mixture of dissapointment and pleasure for me, because although im gutted at the absolutely shambolic pile of shit that konami have served up in pes2008, at least all the people who had the guts to doubt the game and konami in general have now been justified, especially with seabass coming out and basically admitting the game is shit himself.

To the people who said dont judge it on the screenshots, to the people who said dont judge it on the leipzig impressions, to the people who said dont judge it on the gameplay footage, to the people who said dont judge it on the demo, YOU WERE ALL WRONG.

Apologies for the length of this post but it is my first one for a long time, and probably my last for a good while longer.

Konami working on a PES 2008 patch for both online and offline modes

A UK publication decided to call up Konami UK's office sneakily posing as a customer to ask them what they were planning to do in terms of PES 2008's framerate problems. A member of staff reportedly told them that they were working on a patch which will seek to address both offline and online play issues, although no timeframe was given for the release of such a patch.

:applause::applause::applause::applause: NOKAMI you can do it!!\\:o/

[

As someone said on WENB before the article was taken down, the only way for PES to progress is if they rip it all down and start again. And they won't. So say hello to crap football games for the next ten years. :([/QUOTE]

dont agree with you here jack - there is no need to change the core mechanics of the game. that is what has made us all fall in love with pro since the very first ISS PRO. they def need a new engine, and to evolve the game mechanics - I think saying they need to start again is taking things to the extreme.

pro's gameplay with fifa's kits, smoothness and options is pretty near to my perfect idea of a football games for 2008. pro's mechanics are still - although far from perfect - second to none in the football game market.

Beatts

is the eyetoy worth buying ?

can u connect it to the pc and the ps3 at the same time and edit the picture before saving it to the ps3 ?

pro's gameplay with fifa's kits, smoothness and options is pretty near to my perfect idea of a football games for 2008. pro's mechanics are still - although far from perfect - second to none in the football game market.
Not in my opinion - not any more, anyway. But we're all different. :)

In my eyes, FIFA 08 has fantastic gameplay (including manual passing, which pisses all over the passing in PES2008 as far as I'm concerned - not magnetic passes to the other player's feet as if you were aiming for him) - it's only let down by the reaction times. I have far more fun playing FIFA 08 this year, even though EA have made a bit of a balls-up of the career as well as Konami this time around (it's great that you can be so many teams, something I've wanted in Konami for years and years, but by removing the playoffs it's not much good playing in a lower-league).

PES has far too many unrealistic items added in the PSone days to be considered a good football game for 2007/2008 in my opinion. I've said before (and linked to videos), when you pass the ball is "sucked" into the ground and runs across a rail. And, when you pass, the rail isn't always set from you to your target - it's sometimes set from you to a CPU player, rather than a CPU player actually intercepting your pass himself.

This doesn't happen in FIFA next-gen, which was redesigned two years ago specifically for next-gen consoles. You may not like the game but the physics engine, and the engine that decides where passes/crosses/shots will go, is far superior.

There's tons of cheats in PES(2008) that the game needs to refer to when it's in trouble, otherwise every game would finish with ludicrous scorelines (which it does now anyway) - now this is what annoys me, people say "SEABASS IS A GENIUS"... So why does he have to resort to such heavy scripting? Yes, all games have scripting, but it is so blatant and so repetitive in PES that you can't miss it. Even FIFA has CPU cheating, when players can turn on a sixpence while yours are more delayed, but PES has bucketloads more.

The online leagues function in FIFA 08 have me playing a football game nearly every night, something that I haven't done with PES for years.

But anyway, all of this aside - bear in mind that if they did rip PES's gameplay up and start again, the same team who programmed the game ten years ago would be programming it again. So it would still feel the same because it's the same people making it - but in starting from scratch they would see more ways to improve, to streamline things into memory, to produce new ways for the CPU to play against you without resorting to cheating (which could be left out - WAHEY).

But they have to produce WE2008 yet, and they still make PS2 games as well, so they won't have time to start again. So it won't happen. So it's a pointless debate anyway...

Last edited:
Konami working on a PES 2008 patch for both online and offline modes

A UK publication decided to call up Konami UK's office sneakily posing as a customer to ask them what they were planning to do in terms of PES 2008's framerate problems. A member of staff reportedly told them that they were working on a patch which will seek to address both offline and online play issues, although no timeframe was given for the release of such a patch.

:applause::applause::applause::applause: NOKAMI you can do it!!\\:o/
Source please?

Not in my opinion - not any more, anyway. But we're all different. :)

In my eyes, FIFA 08 has fantastic gameplay (including manual passing, which pisses all over the passing in PES2008 as far as I'm concerned - not magnetic passes to the other player's feet as if you were aiming for him) - it's only let down by the reaction times. I have far more fun playing FIFA 08 this year, even though EA have made a bit of a balls-up of the career as well as Konami this time around (it's great that you can be so many teams, something I've wanted in Konami for years and years, but by removing the playoffs it's not much good playing in a lower-league).

PES has far too many unrealistic items added in the PSone days to be considered a good football game for 2007/2008 in my opinion. I've said before (and linked to videos), when you pass the ball is "sucked" into the ground and runs across a rail. And, when you pass, the rail isn't always set from you to your target - it's sometimes set from you to a CPU player, rather than a CPU player actually intercepting your pass himself.

This doesn't happen in FIFA next-gen, which was redesigned two years ago specifically for next-gen consoles. You may not like the game but the physics engine, and the engine that decides where passes/crosses/shots will go, is far superior.

There's tons of cheats in PES(2008) that the game needs to refer to when it's in trouble, otherwise every game would finish with ludicrous scorelines (which it does now anyway) - now this is what annoys me, people say "SEABASS IS A GENIUS"... So why does he have to resort to such heavy scripting? Yes, all games have scripting, but it is so blatant and so repetitive in PES that you can't miss it. Even FIFA has CPU cheating, when players can turn on a sixpence while yours are more delayed, but PES has bucketloads more.

The online leagues function in FIFA 08 have me playing a football game nearly every night, something that I haven't done with PES for years.

But anyway, all of this aside - bear in mind that if they did rip PES's gameplay up and start again, the same team who programmed the game ten years ago would be programming it again. So it would still feel the same because it's the same people making it - but in starting from scratch they would see more ways to improve, to streamline things into memory, to produce new ways for the CPU to play against you without resorting to cheating (which could be left out - WAHEY).

But they have to produce WE2008 yet, and they still make PS2 games as well, so they won't have time to start again. So it won't happen. So it's a pointless debate anyway...

This is amazing. this is a coin op game now? wtHeck?
I loved winning eleven for it being so classy now its pure cheese.

I just played my first and last game online.
I won 3-2, but it should have been 10-10.
All you have to do is run in a diagonal line, any line infact, and defenders part like the Red sea.
Defenders LOVE to leave hectares of space on the wings, and the keepers wtf.

I actually enjoyed playing the cpu for some reason (i never have before).
But multiplayer and online games are batshit-crazy goalfests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom