WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well there is no framerate or slowdown problems on 360. Haven't witnessed any. Runs so smooth.

Was just going through the Playlist Editor, not sure if i should say this but i actually like a couple of them tracks :o

Curiosity got the better of me and I decided to buy PES2008 for PS3.

And boy, what a surprise! I am genuinely taken aback by the game. Seabass has undoubtedly surpassed himself this time.

First off, the notorious slow-down that many have mentioned. It is utterly horrendous. I don't care that I have an 8 year old, 21 inch CRT tv, no other PS3 game I've played has any slowdown at all but with PES2008, it's ever-present. It's like playing a current PC game on a 5 year old PC.

I've never seen slow-down like this on a console game before. It's absolutely catastrophic! Seabass apparently said he thought the slowdown on PS3 was "not that bad". Listen, ShitBasstard, it's a fucking atrocity. Konami and Seabass should publicly apologise for this pathetic, unfinished mess. No wonder the demo was never released...it's such a fucking massive embarassment.

As for the so called gameplay....every single cheat has been carried forward from the previous incarnation. The all-new TeamVision? Fuck off! There's absolutely nothing new here. It's EXACTLY THE SAME as last year, identical cpu cheats...I can scarcely believe that they simply copied every single cpu cheat. What a fucking joke!

The scritped passing is beyond a joke now. I don't like FIFA08 but, my god, PES2008 really makes FIFA look like a decent game.

I'm glad I bought this game so I am in a position where I can, with authority, slate this pile of shite.

Innovation? Absolutely NONE WHATSOEVER! This game is basically a VERY BAD PORT of PES6 to PS3 but with loads of features left out. It's gone backwards, no doubt about that.

Physics? :lmao: One second it's quick, then slow, then super-quick, then chronically slow....it's an inconsistent, scripted disaster. So bad that it's really funny. You have to play this game to appreciate how bad it is.

As for the minor revamp of the ML....as expected, all so weak with such a lack of thought and appreciation of what's required. These guys at Konami are a bunch of cocks that know nothing about football. Maybe they should go write a fairy dance game.

The commentary is actually reasonably good. That apart, this is the worst PES game imaginable, even surpassing the dire PES6 which at least had more features and wasn't smothered by endless slow-down.

Well done ShitBasstard for cheering me up. Whenever I'm feeling down, all I need to do is pop PES2008 into my PS3 and I will be rolling around with laughter.

Gameplay: 1/10
Graphics: -1/10
Innovation: -3/10
Sound: 4/10
Options: -1/10
Laughter value: 10/10
Overall: :lol:/:lmao:

Last edited:
ive bin playin pes for a good straight 2 days now and i gotta say its growin on me. it really is quality now. for me the gameplay has saved this game and i havent even learnt how to use the kit and face scanning feature. does anyone know if it will e possible to patch this game?

Curiosity got the better of me and I decided to buy PES2008 for PS3.

And boy, what a surprise! I am genuinely taken aback by the game. Seabass has undoubtedly surpassed himself this time.

First off, the notorious slow-down that many have mentioned. It is utterly horrendous. I don't care that I have an 8 year old, 21 inch CRT tv, no other PS3 game I've played has any slowdown at all but with PES2008, it's ever-present. It's like playing a current PC game on a 5 year old PC.

I've never seen slow-down like this on a console game before. It's absolutely catastrophic! Seabass apparently said he thought the slowdown on PS3 was "not that bad". Listen, ShitBasstard, it's a fucking atrocity. Konami and Seabass should publicly apologise for this pathetic, unfinished mess. No wonder the demo was never released...it's such a fucking massive embarassment.

As for the so called gameplay....every single cheat has been carried forward from the previous incarnation. The all-new TeamVision? Fuck off! There's absolutely nothing new here. It's EXACTLY THE SAME as last year, identical cpu cheats...I can scarcely believe that they simply copied every single cpu cheat. What a fucking joke!

The scritped passing is beyond a joke now. I don't like FIFA08 but, my god, PES2008 really makes FIFA look like a decent game.

I'm glad I bought this game so I am in a position where I can, with authority, slate this pile of shite.

Innovation? Absolutely NONE WHATSOEVER! This game is basically a VERY BAD PORT of PES6 to PS3 but with loads of features left out. It's gone backwards, no doubt about that.

Physics? :lmao: One second it's quick, then slow, then super-quick, then chronically slow....it's an inconsistent, scripted disaster. So bad that it's really funny. You have to play this game to appreciate how bad it is.

As for the minor revamp of the ML....as expected, all so weak with such a lack of thought and appreciation of what's required. These guys at Konami are a bunch of cocks that know nothing about football. Maybe they should go write a fairy dance game.

The commentary is actually reasonably good. That apart, this is the worst PES game imaginable, even surpassing the dire PES6 which at least had more features and wasn't smothered by endless slow-down.

Well done ShitBasstard for cheering me up. Whenever I'm feeling down, all I need to do is pop PES2008 into my PS3 and I will be rolling around with laughter.

Gameplay: 1/10
Graphics: -1/10
Innovation: -3/10
Sound: 4/10
Options: -1/10
Laughter value: 10/10
Overall: :lol:/:lmao:

how do you really feel about pes2008

Just played 3 game at Bernebeau(sp?) licensed team with only minor issues in wide view.

Loving the game. The patch with certainly help but bo major slowdoen issues after installing game on HDD.

Love it!

Winston - no way is the game that bad. And no i am not looking through tinted glasses. I ahev the PS3 version & its fine on my machine in the worst stadium for slowdown in the game

Winston, what changes are there to the ML apart from 20-team leagues?
Why do you ask that? You want him to go on with is idiotic post?
You can't take him serious do you? He has read all posts about the problems and he was already negative before. Still he bought the worst of the PES 2008 versions ( the PS3 version ) to be able to bitch even more.
Look, beeing critical is okay and you even may rate the game lower than 6/10 but he was way over the top with it.

The gameplay is awesome, the slowdown is minimal (I haven't played in all the stadiums yet) but I feel let down.

You can't take him serious do you? He has read all posts about the problems and he was already negative before. Still he bought the worst of the PES 2008 versions ( the PS3 version ) to be able to bitch even more.
Look, beeing critical is okay and you even may rate the game lower than 6/10 but he was way over the top with it.
I don't regard it as idiotic, over the top maybe but A) it's his opinion and B) I'm not happy with the way PES is going so I'm inclined to believe him. If you look in the other sections of the forum, the specific PS3/360 forums at the top of the index, a lot of people are unhappy - more so than in previous years. I see people, fanboys (including people I know), outraged.

But as for Winston, put it like this; he will happily slate FIFA and he will happily slate PES, so he's unbiased and I'd like to know what is new in the ML. Over the top he may be but either way, slowdown in this day and age is unacceptable, and for every person who doesn't notice it, there's a person who does. That deserves a million OTT complaints, in my opinion. If I was Sony or Microsoft, I would be having a word with Konami and telling them to give Seabass the chop. It's an insult.

Last edited:

Only played a couple of matches and gave up so didn't see anything else new...I suspect there's nothing apart from the static pictures of the old man, the dog and the pub. In terms of the all-important leagues and cup structures, it's 2 leagues of 20 and that's it. Not even an FA Cup for all 40 teams that I could see, just a D2 cup :lol:...just like real life.

I could hardly believe it when I saw every single cpu cheat reveal intself so quickly, most critically the ones where you can's control you player and he goes off on that weird zig-zag run or slows down in order that he can't get to the ball....all the ball defelctions going straight to cpu is even worse than PES6. CPU team gets the usual turbo boost before HT and FT just as your guys become disabled to permit extra cpu goals. The refs are unbelieveably bad wwith 100% bias in favour of cpu team. Clean tackles when you slide about 3 yards in front on the cpu player and play the ball and still a foul is called...so bad it's untrue. Just list all the horrible things in PES6...they're all here again but now with added slowdown and not just in crowded boxes...it's literally all over the pitch.

Do not buy this game Jack, it's a masterpiece of shit.

I don't regard it as idiotic, over the top maybe but A) it's his opinion and B) I'm not happy with the way PES is going so I'm inclined to believe him. If you look in the other sections of the forum, the specific PS3/360 forums at the top of the index, a lot of people are unhappy - more so than in previous years. I see people, fanboys (including people I know), outraged.

But as for Winston, put it like this; he will happily slate FIFA and he will happily slate PES, so he's unbiased and I'd like to know what is new in the ML. Over the top he may be but either way, slowdown in this day and age is unacceptable, and for every person who doesn't notice it, there's a person who does. That deserves a million OTT complaints, in my opinion. If I was Sony or Microsoft, I would be having a word with Konami and telling them to give Seabass the chop. It's an insult.
But all he said was discussed before and not all of this was agreed.
He said Teamvision isn't there, but it is. I 've clearly seen it; others have also seen it. He said Seabass said the slowdown was not that worse. In fact, Seabass said he was SHOCKED when he saw it. I can go on this way but I only want to point out that Winston just only got another of his attacks of superbitching and that's why I called his post idiotic.
EDIT: Just read Winston's post above where he said he only played a couple of matches ( post # 18562 ):
If he plays only a couple of matches, how can he see Teamvision is not working??!! I rest my case... ;)

Last edited:

And I will make no apology for my posts. My opinion is that this game is atrocious. That is well within the rules of the forum.

You already have resorted to describing my words as idiotic which I regard as a personal attack, something that used to be against the rules.

I rate this game a :lol:.

I'd say he refers to the rewamped menues (all the same options, only sorted differently so you need to look around for a while...).

And of course the Team ranking points that stop you from buying star players when you are a low-rated team.

That's about it I think. At the same time I _think_ they've removed the ability to match kits in Ml yourself when playing matches (read it before, haven't checked it).

No more challenge training, no more selecting ball type in training (blue Demo PES ball is there which looks very bad). Creating your own team in ML is boring as heck since you can't give them a cool kit made by yourself with 12 shirt templates to choose from.

Ballspin bugs, throw-in bugs. It's amazing they were allowed to charge money for this.

Also nothing new from previous PES gameplay. chenged yes, but shots are basically PES5 again (after PES6 made shots fly over with a tap on the button), passing is the normal scripted mess that goes ever which way and for every 5 passes you make 1 goes where you didn't intend it.

Playing with fixed cursor reveals that your teammates are still dumb idiots, playing with Barca (top player) and they have problems getting 4 passes in a row together, and they miss those obvious pass chances where a simple throughball would have given a 1-on-1 with the goalie. Not to mention when their idiocy in defence makes them try and dribble (instead of passing to the midfielder who has 20m of free space) only to loose the ball.

I can't really detect much more intelligence than PES6 with fixed cursor with Barca. At first you are hopeing that your teammates might actually be able to finally read the play better so that they pass you when you are on the wing with loads of space, but they instead do some weird pass to someone who has players hanging on their backs, and you are eventually reduced to hammering R2 like a moron to try and force them to pass to you.

Really, I don't understand how they can sell this. The gameplay mechanics is exactly the same save for some slightly changed R2 dribbling. If it plays almost the same as previous PES, does it really deserve the same grades as them, or does it infact deserve0/10 for trying to appear as a new game when it clearly hasn't changed besides taking some things back to PES5 since PES6 messed them up?

Also I read that Seabass is thinking of ways to not use R2 and L2. God have mercy, can this game have less depth?

The only thing I can't really slate is the graphics, nothing mindblowing but certainly not as bad as everyone make them out to be, the lighting is quite accurate and sometimes you get that slight "photorealistic" feel when you see the ball moving on the grass and how the light interacts with the surface (on "High" details obviously).

But seriously, this is as arcade as a game can become. Just squeeze this into an arcade machine, and provide a d-pad and 8 buttons, and you can play it to it's full potential. Atleast FIFA requires analog sticks and some feeling when passing and shooting, and you need to focus and concentrate when aiming and passing. It requires something from you. PES requires nothing, just hammer those buttons and see what the game decides to do. Sure some people find it entertaining, pinball can be fun too, but it is impossible to try and pass it off as realism or simulation, or even as having any kind of depth for the player.

EDIT: Also they have decided to change how much curl you can get on Freekicks from PES6 it seems. Now players hardly get any curl on freekicks, only occasionally do they get alot of sidespin. Focus is very much on topspin.

So forget trying to do this with Ronaldinho: (2:27 in the video) http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2773735247911110742&q=ronaldinho

Ohh yeah, and no "Play Again" feature in Training either. Why did they remove that awesome feature?

Last edited:
Han, just so I get a balanced opinion... ;) What changes do you see to the ML?

EDIT: Well there's a great post above me (thanks for that trance_allstar - I only wish you worked in the games journalism industry so Seabass would hear anything other than "you're so great, your cock must be massive, like, the size of a house - NO, THE TITANIC!") but you can still answer if you can be bothered talking to a FIFA fan. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom