WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've played 5 or 6 games now and so far I am not impressed.

Notes:

+Slowdown has been exaggerated
+Slower than the 360 demo
+I keep getting beat
+I like the commentary
-I need to get used to the PS3 controller
-Refs are far too strict
-Goalkeepers are awful
-Games are always high scoring
-Tearing
-Edit mode is next to useless, hairs/beards etc. take ages to load
-Doesn't look as good as the 360 demo up close

Last edited:
kamy100, what do you think about the defending? Is it very difficult to defend? Do defenders go AWOL? Also, what do you think of the pace of the game, is it too quick? End to end stuff?

For me defending is fine. I have played 4 games in the international cup as England:

England 1-0 Ivory Coast
England 0-0 Turkey
England 2-0 Columbia

England 2-1 Czech Republic

The AI defenders were much better than PES6, although couple of times they seem to push up and leave space in behind which I exploited but then again I suppose they do this in real life. I need to play more really to be able to say definitively what defending is like, but first impressions are ok.

Pace of the gameplay is fine, it is deffo not very very fast and it is not to slow, in my opinion the balance is right.

Like I said if graphics, editing, proper leagues are what you want the PES is not for you, if however you want great gameplay then PES in definately for you.

Like I said if graphics, editing, proper leagues are what you want the PES is not for you, if however you want great gameplay then PES in definately for you.
I don't think you can say that when hardcore fans are talking about how easy it is to blast a shot at the goalkeeper and watch him deflect it into the net... There is no fact of the matter, you like it or you don't, but as far as I'm concerned any good gameplay elements are ruined by the fact that goalkeepers couldn't catch a cold.

If u wanna talk about defending u gotta play on line and see how it is like.

But maybe me and JB are the only ones who saw this poor goalkeeping, nobody else mentioned it so far.

Konami working full strength to fix crippling online PES lag

Konami has posted an online notification when gamers enter the PES 2008 lobby revealing that the publisher has uncovered "issues which can affect the online gameplay quality of PES 2008" and is working "full strength to find a solution as quickly as possible". Currently PS3 PES 2008 is unplayable with gamers reporting "the ball pinging about uncontrollably and players randomly disappearing and reappearing."

News Source: pro-g

I live in the US. Will I be able to play anyone in Europe on Xbox 360?
No, the game is region-locked and so the game you buy will be different from the game Europeans buy. You'll only be able to play people with the same version of the game.

No, the game is region-locked and so the game you buy will be different from the game Europeans buy. You'll only be able to play people with the same version of the game.

So if I order PES from europe I can play europeans? Also will it work on my 360?

Thanks in advance.

Hi everybody,

I don't post in here much but I do read it quite a lot,so I thought I'd chip in with my 2 penneth. I got the 360 version yesterday (have a ps3 too,but went for the 360 version cos most of my mates have a 360) and I thought I'd give you a bit of feedback.

I've not posted this on the 360 board cos most people seem to be here!

I like it. My mate who got it same time as me likes it too. The editing features are pretty poor,I won't go into what you CAN'T do too much,cos I aint got an hour to type!

Forget the names,I don't mind changing them,at least it's better than on Pro Evo 1! I can live without proper badges (but why leave it out?) I can live without a proper kit editor (but once again,why take away the ability to create our own images,and why only 8 photo kit shots?? lol) You can't see the badges on the view I use,so it's only the odd replay that it affects.

The thing that REALLY pisses me off is the Master League. Why give me 20 editable teams,and 20 slots in divison 2 - Finally giving me the chance to take the mighty Wednesday into the Premier League and to european glory - AND THEN NOT LET ME USE THOSE TEAMS IN THE MASTER LEAGUE??? NNNNNGHH! Someone at konami must be on glue! What other possible use do those teams have?? If your fave team aint in the game,then you only need a couple of teams free to edit them in,so it can't be that....

The only use they can be is to create the second tier of either Serie A,La Liga,The Championship etc. And you know,I'm just sad enough to edit it all to be the Championship,cos a couple of weeks work to make a ML that I'll play in till next October seems to be a fair deal to me!

But it's not in.... It is though if you get a ps2,so the whole thing makes no sense at all,unless it's the aforementioned glue theory.

SO that's the thing that annoys me,it just spoils the single player games for me,just as it has the potential to be the best ML yet. I'd love a patch,but I bet we don't get one.

On the pitch it's very good. Slower than the demo (on wide,not checked any others) lots of nice new touches that me and my mate kept noticing through playing. Shooting feels like it has more power behind to now,you can give it the full can of beans without the ball flying into the stands. It feels good to play,and very enjoyable. I can't fault the way the game plays at all.

(Some of the running animations look a bit shit sometimes,but i've only noticed it a couple of times)

In all I really like it,I can get past all the negatives,because I know I'll be playing it till the next one comes out,because it's fun to play,and really that's all I want from a game,that I enjoy playing it. I'd be willing to bet that I play this more than any other game too,even more than Halo 3!

So there's my view,sorry if it's a bit long,but there's a bit of negativity towards it on here,and I'm genuinely enjoying the game,and I think lots of other people will too!

See you on live hopefully!

(By the way,I also had FIFA 08,and it's quite good. I can see why it appeals to people cos it looks the nuts (aside from the fact that nobody looks like they're supposed to) and it plays a good game of football too. I'd advise anyone to at least rent it and give it a chance,you might prefer it to this. I just prefer Pro Evo that's all!)

Ta

So if I order PES from europe I can play europeans? Also will it work on my 360?

Thanks in advance.

I'm afraid not. Not only does the region code prevent you from playing others who have a game with a different region, but your xbox is also locked to a single region, in your case USA. So you can only play games that are from the USA (or atleast matches your xbox's region code). Europe is a different region, and so your xbox won't play those games.

Rafau - The PS3 asian and Japanese WE 2008 games will be region free.

I pretty sure the 360 versions for both Asian and Japanese will be region locked though. Japanese 100% as there is not one Japanese 360 game that is region free.

Jack - are you sure about PES 2008 being region locked when it comes to xbox live multi-player. I was always under the impression that xbox live was global with all its games.

Someone else noticed the bad keepers:

"What's more, goalkeeper handling is a little suspect at times, especially when it comes to parrying stinging shots", eurogamer review.

Good review, pretty much what i also think, good game for those who prefers dribbling and running with the likes of Ronaldo/dhino and the one man kinda game. But defending in multiplayer on line is gonna be really really difficult.

"PES 2008's entertaining match improvements, exhilarating action and solid additions mean it just about scrapes another 8, though at no point does it come even close to flirting with higher scores. It's fast, fluid, fun and physical, an improved, revamped version of PES 6 if you like. If that's what you're looking for from the next iteration of the series, then you won't be disappointed. If not, then I think you can probably work the rest out for yourself..."

Agreed!!!!

Last edited:
For me defending is fine. I have played 4 games in the international cup as England:

England 1-0 Ivory Coast
England 0-0 Turkey
England 2-0 Columbia

England 2-1 Czech Republic

The AI defenders were much better than PES6, although couple of times they seem to push up and leave space in behind which I exploited but then again I suppose they do this in real life. I need to play more really to be able to say definitively what defending is like, but first impressions are ok.

Pace of the gameplay is fine, it is deffo not very very fast and it is not to slow, in my opinion the balance is right.

kamy,

before an international cup match begins, does it allow you to select the stadium and grass texture or does it select automatically for you (like all the previous pes versions) ??

if anyone knows the answer feel free

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom