WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread (Last Update 10/10/07)

I find all this talk about the speed of the game to be quite confusing. When I play PS2 PES6 on my PS3 on a Samsung 40" LCD tv the pace of the game is a lot faster than when I play exactly the same game on my brothers PS2 on his little 28" SDTV. It just runs smoother and faster on my TV, simple as that.

I also have a friend that after playing the XBox360 demo of PES2008 said that he thought it was much slower than PES6 on the XBox360 and felt a lot more like PES5 i terms of pace (which is a good thing). Unfortunately I don't know what sort of tv he was using but I think I remember him saying that he has a 38" LCD TV.

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what the official release gives us on the PS3 and Xbox360.

http://www.gamer.nl/doc/42401/Pro-Evolution-Soccer-2008-X360

gives pes 2008 360 8 points

Pros:
-Still soccer paradise
-Players are graphicly and gametechnically good
-Edit mode is back

Cons:
-Where is the real development?
-Graphics good be better
-Teamvision not noticable

they are critical ,wich is good
and they still prais the awsome gameplay:D

IGN gives the game a 10 for gameplay !

fifa kiddo's go home

Dude that guy at IGN regional office always gives pes 10 and always trash fifa. Wait for the eurogamer review which is more balanced (provided it is not written by tom bramwell).

"It feels a much faster game this year, pacey dribbling looks to be the best way to get goals. Ive had some issues with framerate and slowdown but not enough to ruin my enjoyment of the game. The new diving feature is a bit controversial but I like it as long as its not overused in online play. Its an improved game over PES6 in my opinion and I'd definitely recommend everyone to buy it."

Exactly what i don't like, people going coast to coast easily. Not for me this year.

And they all agree teamvision was some PR invention.

Last edited:

Despite the fact that this thread is full of bollocks i`m gonna post this. My m8 (owner of a couple gameshops) just called me and he is getting the game tomorrow morning in stock and i can pick the game up afther my soccergame even though the game WON`T and can`t be sold this weekend!!! I will keep you guys posted!!

Greetings Elite

Last edited:

Despite the fact that this thread is full of bollocks i`m gonna post this. My m8 (owner of a couple gameshops) just called me and he is getting the game tomorrow morning in stock and i can pick the game up afther my soccergame even though the game WON`T and can`t be sold this weekend!!! I will keep you guys posted!!

Greetings Elite

awsome dude:)
ur talking about the PS3 version right?
(i expect my 360 version also 2morow)

Greetings Elite

Thanks for coming back! Looking forward to your impressions...

Was just reading WENB and the comments from Mclean. The response from WENB shows why some people are overly negative towards them. McLean gave a pretty balanced opinion highlighting the negatives aswell as the positives and confirmed what a lot of us were worried about, speed and arcadey feel/scores. Anyway how does WENB close this post of? With a "An extremely positive take on the game so far from Europe's no.1 PES player".

Uhh, no it isn't. Its a balanced take that highlights both the negative and positive but is ultimately a positive. Its no "extremely positive take". Now Im not having a go at WENB as I think they are doing a great job and have already stated my understanding for them having a more positive stance towards the game. However it does show, and explain, why people have had an overly negative reaction to their news/posts/etc. They are clearly hyping the game up, as when there is a bit of critisism they post messages of shock and when there is a balanced opinion they hype it up as only positive. Thats whats annoying people.

impression from a dude who has the game
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=204507910&blogID=320143171

Well it finally arrived after what seemed like the longest wait imaginable - Pro Evolution Soccer 2008.

First off let me get the bad stuff out of the way.

1) I don't like the new replays, they seemed jumpy and were jittering all over the place. However this isn't a massive problem - for me its about the game itself, the better the presentation (replays/commentary) is the more enjoyable the all-round experience but I often skip the replays anyway.

2) Keeper Mistakes - this is more of a potential concern. I played probably around 8 matches and had two goals scored where the keeper shouldve saved it. For the first a long range effort hit the palms of the keeper and deflected into the goal and the second one the shot actually spilled through his hands and trickled over the goal line. Now I'm all for realism and have often said the keepers in PES seem to have a superhuman grip on the ball but I really hope this doesn't happen too often. Twice in eight games is just about acceptable in my opinion.

I think really the above were my only major concerns. So let's move on to the good stuff.

1) Long free kicks work at last! Its fairly easy to float in a cross and get a header on the end of it. Finally! In the old games they seemed a waste of time as the only option was to play it short.

2) Long goal kicks don't immediately surrender possession - yay! Its now a lot more possible for your players to header on or take down and control goal kicks.

3) The new animations are great - like the fact that when two players jump into each other trying to head the ball its now possible for them to both be knocked away stumbling. Saw some new foul animations - making everything look a lot more realistic.

4) Slide tackles are now a lot shorter - meaning the animation - so you really have to time your tackles, go in too early and you won't slide into your opponents path as in previous games; you will stop short and the opposition will saunter past - leaving you on your ass.

5) The commentary isn't too bad! Now Brooking has gone it all seems a bit more professional - Mark Lawrenson's sarcasm can be heard dripping from each sentence. Jon Champion is also a step up in my opinion.

6) Seemingly none of the old tricks work - this has to be a good thing. If you're running alongside a defender and press back to turn, nine times out of ten he will stick a foot out and tackle you. The pace of play is different, the game feels the same speed but you need to think about your options more, assess your passes etc.

7) The AI is a big step up. The computer isn't as predictable as before and I often found myself caught out when it did something I wasn't expecting. Everything feels a lot more individual - every player feels different to control. It sounds odd to finally say it but its true. After all this time Andy Johnson feels different to Mark Viduka. Johnson gliding past the last defender and slotting home - Viduka bundling past the last line of defence and smashing the ball home.

I haven't had the inclination to try diving yet - it requires a press of L1 L2 R2 all at the same time. I haven't had the opportunity or the manual dexterity to give it a shot!

So overall a big improvement - albeit not the next gen perfection I was expecting. But get rid of the stuttering replays and this may have been the greatest footie game so far on the home consoles.

Gregory Horror Show Rating: 9/10

Last edited:

Anyone know if Puerta is in the Sevilla squad?

No thanks lad :) I will def. post my impressions! And I will try not to wear my pink pes glasses ;) But seriousley I tried Fifa but it just ain`t my game :)
Ik heb je een PM gestuurd over je beoordeling van het spel. Over welke zaken we hier nog geen mening over hebben gehoord, misschien wil je daar naar kijken? :)

impression from a dude who has the game
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=204507910&blogID=320143171

Well it finally arrived after what seemed like the longest wait imaginable - Pro Evolution Soccer 2008.

First off let me get the bad stuff out of the way.

1) I don't like the new replays, they seemed jumpy and were jittering all over the place. However this isn't a massive problem - for me its about the game itself, the better the presentation (replays/commentary) is the more enjoyable the all-round experience but I often skip the replays anyway.

2) Keeper Mistakes - this is more of a potential concern. I played probably around 8 matches and had two goals scored where the keeper shouldve saved it. For the first a long range effort hit the palms of the keeper and deflected into the goal and the second one the shot actually spilled through his hands and trickled over the goal line. Now I'm all for realism and have often said the keepers in PES seem to have a superhuman grip on the ball but I really hope this doesn't happen too often. Twice in eight games is just about acceptable in my opinion.

I think really the above were my only major concerns. So let's move on to the good stuff.

1) Long free kicks work at last! Its fairly easy to float in a cross and get a header on the end of it. Finally! In the old games they seemed a waste of time as the only option was to play it short.

2) Long goal kicks don't immediately surrender possession - yay! Its now a lot more possible for your players to header on or take down and control goal kicks.

3) The new animations are great - like the fact that when two players jump into each other trying to head the ball its now possible for them to both be knocked away stumbling. Saw some new foul animations - making everything look a lot more realistic.

4) Slide tackles are now a lot shorter - meaning the animation - so you really have to time your tackles, go in too early and you won't slide into your opponents path as in previous games; you will stop short and the opposition will saunter past - leaving you on your ass.

5) The commentary isn't too bad! Now Brooking has gone it all seems a bit more professional - Mark Lawrenson's sarcasm can be heard dripping from each sentence. Jon Champion is also a step up in my opinion.

6) Seemingly none of the old tricks work - this has to be a good thing. If you're running alongside a defender and press back to turn, nine times out of ten he will stick a foot out and tackle you. The pace of play is different, the game feels the same speed but you need to think about your options more, assess your passes etc.

7) The AI is a big step up. The computer isn't as predictable as before and I often found myself caught out when it did something I wasn't expecting. Everything feels a lot more individual - every player feels different to control. It sounds odd to finally say it but its true. After all this time Andy Johnson feels different to Mark Viduka. Johnson gliding past the last defender and slotting home - Viduka bundling past the last line of defence and smashing the ball home.

I haven't had the inclination to try diving yet - it requires a press of L1 L2 R2 all at the same time. I haven't had the opportunity or the manual dexterity to give it a shot!

So overall a big improvement - albeit not the next gen perfection I was expecting. But get rid of the stuttering replays and this may have been the greatest footie game so far on the home consoles.

Gregory Horror Show Rating: 9/10

For me it`s also all about the game and i don`t care about editing, master league or replays. After reading this review i`m all excited!

With al;l due respect, I find the "it's all about gameplay" comments an excuse. Video games have been around for many years, we shouldn't have to settle for just gameplay. People are hiding behind their disappointment when they say all this gameplay malarky. Just my opinion.

But he gave the game 10/10 for gameplay - perfection - nothing can be improved upon.

This majority of posts in this thread may be useless guff but there's a small percentage which highlight the numerous ways that the very fundamentals of the gameplay can be overhauled to hugely improve it, not to mention the near endless list of smaller details that really should be collated and listed...except it would take days to do because there as so many.

PES gameplay perfect? That reviewer is a cock.

10/10 mean anything between 9.5 and 10, it's just to simplify it.

9/10 means anything from 8.5 to 9.4

Guys i will have the game for ps3 in one hour!

Tell me how to upload photos and videos...

With al;l due respect, I find the "it's all about gameplay" comments an excuse. Video games have been around for many years, we shouldn't have to settle for just gameplay. People are hiding behind their disappointment when they say all this gameplay malarky. Just my opinion.

Well I play games for the gameplay, if the gameplay is amazing then i will play it, its a game, gameplay is the factor, having nice graphics just adds to it, PES2008 graphics are alright they aint exactly crap are they, it will do for now for me anyway.

I havent even got the game, for all I know I might get the game and it looks much better than the pictures etc who knows, I doubt it though, probs be a bit better than the old 360 version, but that will be new to the PS3 users.

Well I play games for the gameplay, if the gameplay is amazing then i will play it, its a game, gameplay is the factor, having nice graphics just adds to it, PES2008 graphics are alright they aint exactly crap are they, it will do for now for me anyway.

I havent even got the game, for all I know I might get the game and it looks much better than the pictures etc who knows, I doubt it though, probs be a bit better than the old 360 version, but that will be new to the PS3 users.

How often do you play Commodore 64 games? N64 games? Because the gameplay is still great from games from those era's, just the graphics are outdated. I agree with you, gameplay is the main thing and the graphics are an add-on really. But if all these PES fans keep saying it's just about gameplay, why not go back to the old PES's when the gameplay was at its best? Because they want the next-gen experience (current gen, whatever) and with PES, they aren't getting it. So why "make do" with PES 2008 and not play an older PES if it's all about gameplay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom