WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread (Last Update 10/10/07)

Here is a review of IGN:

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/828/828327p1.html

7.0 Presentation
More official teams than before but the Premier League still feels fake. How bothered you are by this is entirely down to personal taste.

8.0 Graphics
Visually sharp with superb animation, let down by the clunky crowd and occasional drop in frame-rate.

7.0 Sound
The commentary is decent enough, as is the in-match chants and crowd noise, but the menu music is awful unless you have a penchant for Euro pap.

10 Gameplay
Nothing comes close to PES in terms of the way it plays and how connected to your team and players you feel during a game. Absolutely magnificent.

9.5 Lasting Appeal
The single-player game will last months. The multiplayer – both on- and off-line – will take over your life for the next 12 months.

9.2 Outstanding OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

9.2 ;)

OK I have received a “warning” for daring to critique WNEB. Perhaps the tone of my comments has been a problem but what of the substance? Certain people are running an enterprise in which they give the community ‘inside’ information and that information and their claims consistently turn out to be almost completely wrong. So some of us then question how or why those people could be so consistently wrong; are they simply ill informed (and perhaps should admit that they are?) or is there a more sinister and mendacious reason behind their activities (have they perhaps acted in bad faith?). And for daring to question the wisdom of the WNEB people we are in someway acting out of order?

What is even more interesting is the way in which the WNEB team censor the more intelligent and critical comments on their own blog and now also refuse to engage with the wider community. I do wonder why personally. Finally if I were trying to do something for the community I would be totally embarrassed to have been so wrong for so long, but that’s just me perhaps?

Ok that's all from me on this subject.

"The frame-rate drops when the screen gets really busy, usually during a quick clearance when the box is flooded with players or, occasionally, during a replay. But, when you’re actually stuck into the action, it’s likely you won’t really notice or indeed care. Of course, some players will think that a drop in frame-rate on a machine as powerful as PS3 is an absolute travesty and, in some respects, they’d be right. But if a flaw as incidental as this prevented said players from buying PES 2008 altogether, they’d be missing out on the most realistic, intelligent and enjoyable football experience on console yet.#

Sounds really good :)
The only thing that really worried me was the slowdown so now im all glad again ... ign is good when it comes to review they are not biased ,and whould for sure have told us if they didnt like the game

Last edited:

I think the most worrying thing for me on the frame rate drop, is the fact it is not new. If it had been me instead of Seahimrun, the very first thing I would have said to the team on the next gen would have been "No frame rate drop.. No stutter... No pause when the ball crosses the line"
... followed by Oi' ML creators your all fired, Ive got the lads from Football Manager in to sort your sorry arses...

hmm decent review but they didn't mention anything about ML and online play. I think if those were mentioned it would have probably bought the score down a bit to something between 8-9.

9.2 Outstanding OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

So how do they get an 9.2 score when they a; dont average it and b; only use half points for the seperate sections.

This sums the game up, in pretty much all ways:
Indeed, playing next-gen Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 is a warming, blissfully familiar experience that will make you wonder if you've accidentally slipped the old version of the game into the drive.

Last edited:

I didn't read that. :|

Since when is it "blissfully familiar" to realise you've just spent £40 on something you already had?

These places are incredible, I don't mind them pointing out what's good but as someone said above, they don't seem to mention a lot of things, and even then the bad things they do mention (i.e. "it's the same game") they say are actually good things. You get the feeling that if they say something Seabass doesn't like then they won't get the game next year.

Last edited:

Yeah thats what I noticed with the OPM review. "What was the biggest wish/hope (or something like that) for next gen pes". Their anwser was that it wouldnt change. Well it sure hasnt!

Was looking at all the ps3 reviews and pes8 is, accoridng to ignuk, the best game available for the ps3, with HL2 orange box only being 0.3 points higher for the 360. They really need to get a grip and remember that game scores of 9 and higher should be reserved for games that are the pinnacle of their genre and are nearly perfect in every way. I agree with the scores fifa has recieved averaging around the 8. I think thats a very good game but it still can do with improvement. Resulting in an 8. Games that have a very high quality overall like HL2 OB, Bioshock, etc deserve the good scores as they are very very good in all aspects.

I think everybody in here can agree that pes by no means is a very very good game in every aspect (graphics, sound, animation, modes, etc). Yet it gets reviewed because the reviewer is "in love" as they state with the game.

Last edited:

Yeah thats what I noticed with the OPM review. "What was the biggest wish/hope (or something like that) for next gen pes". Their anwser was that it wouldnt change. Well it sure hasnt!

Was looking at all the ps3 reviews and pes8 is, accoridng to ignuk, the best game available for the ps3, with HL2 orange box only being 0.3 points higher for the 360. They really need to get a grip and remember that game scores of 9 and higher should be reserved for games that are the pinnacle of their genre and are nearly perfect in every way. I agree with the scores fifa has recieved averaging around the 8. I think thats a very good game but it still can do with improvement. Resulting in an 8. Games that have a very high quality overall like HL2 OB, Bioshock, etc deserve the good scores as they are very very good in all aspects.

I think everybody in here can agree that pes by no means is a very very good game in every aspect (graphics, sound, animation, modes, etc). Yet it gets reviewed because the reviewer is "in love" as they state with the game.

yeah its kind of like that guy who has a fat ugly girlfriend, but she is great in bed and there best friends, if you tell him what you think of her, he will kick your ass(deservdely so) but that is love baby... its blind, hahah thats probably a bad example, because the girl is a knockout on the inside, where pro evo needs some work on itself

That's UK IGN (regional office) which is traditionally pesbiased. Wait for the real IGN review.

Still funny one review finds it shameful the other finds it almost perfect gameplaywise.

Last edited:

yeah its kind of like that guy who has a fat ugly girlfriend, but she is great in bed and there best friends, if you tell him what you think of her, he will kick your ass(deservdely so) but that is love baby... its blind, hahah thats probably a bad example, because the girl is a knockout on the inside, where pro evo needs some work on itself

And then you have the shallow guy who can't see the beauty in a person if she doesn't look like a supermodel. They end up playing FIFA and convince themself they are happy with that.

And then you have the shallow guy who can't see the beauty in a person if she doesn't look like a supermodel. They end up playing FIFA and convince themself they are happy with that.

This analogy is completely pointless and needs to be stopped. Reducing the games to women looses the finer details, and it is the details that makes or breaks a game for me. Just the fact that FIFA has analog support puts it way ahead in my book. :)

IGN UK reviews (BTW we all agree pes6 on the 360 was crap.....)

PES6 360 PS3 PES 2008

7.8 Presentation 7
7.1 Graphics 8
7.5 Sound 7
8.7 GamePlay 10
8.6 Lasting Appeal 9.5

39,7 TOTAL SUM 41,5

7,94 AVERAGE 8,3

BUT MISTERIUOSLY...........

8.4 Overall 9.2

Their overall score is not an average

No thats true, but as i said i find it amazing that they then rate games in tenths.

As Gomito has started the analogies again ill use it as an excuse to repost mine :D

Pes is the average looking girlfriend who is really good at doing the same position over and over and at a really fast pace. However she was average looking to begin with, now she's dogly with a nice pedicure.

Fifa on the otherhand is the new sexy younger girl who may move slower but is open to multiple positions (even ones youve never heard of) and given enough time spent with her will allow you to "stick it anywhere". However her toes could do with a pedicure.

Last edited:

wow 564 pages and around 400 of them have just been ppl complaning and sayin how shite PES is, even tho not a single person on here bar maybe 1 has it.. This forum has turned into a bunch of bollocks..:roll::nono:

your talking to the wrong guy, i love pro evo/we, fifa08 is good but has as many faults as pro evo. neither are perfect, both are enjoyable, if you cant see that in both, then your the one who is blind.

wow 564 pages and around 400 of them have just been ppl complaning and sayin how shite PES is, even tho not a single person on here bar maybe 1 has it.. This forum has turned into a bunch of bollocks..:roll::nono:

im refering to the demo on xbox 360, it was horrible

bunch of bollocks??? that's the funniest thing in this thread

Gameplay 10
this is al what i care about,
but i am waiting for a gamespot review
next month im getting ready for Famitsu WE2008 score;)

BTW anyone here knows irc wel,can understand this info:)
<[-JuNka-]> .xbox dhavid
<crunph> XBox Live gamerscore for dhavid is currently 17071, last seen playing PES2008.
(yes means the user dhavid has played the game)
here is the gamercard where u can see he played PES2008
http://card.mygamercard.net/ES/sig/dhavid.jpg

from what i heard from dhavid,the game is good and he enjoys it a lot.
Its much and much better compared to the 360 demo,very good AI and keepers are very good and new animations
The 360 version has no ingame slowdowns, ONLY from replay,but very little;)

Last edited:

"The frame-rate drops when the screen gets really busy, usually during a quick clearance when the box is flooded with players or, occasionally, during a replay. But, when you’re actually stuck into the action, it’s likely you won’t really notice or indeed care. Of course, some players will think that a drop in frame-rate on a machine as powerful as PS3 is an absolute travesty and, in some respects, they’d be right. But if a flaw as incidental as this prevented said players from buying PES 2008 altogether, they’d be missing out on the most realistic, intelligent and enjoyable football experience on console yet.#

Sounds really good :)
The only thing that really worried me was the slowdown so now im all glad again ... ign is good when it comes to review they are not biased ,and whould for sure have told us if they didnt like the game

well now i am very curious if they discuss the slowdown-issue on the 360 just as detailed. I wonder if it is better on 360.

Are these magazines/websites scared to mention the negatives or something. The IGN review is a rubbish review. honestly I remember when edge once reviewed games with no scores so you had to judge the game on the actual review itself.

This review is pretty poor. No mention of the quicker speed, no mention of the shitty ML. No mention of lack of online leagues etc.

BTW anyone here knows irc wel,can understand this info:)
<[-JuNka-]> .xbox dhavid
<crunph> XBox Live gamerscore for dhavid is currently 17071, last seen playing PES2008.
(yes means the user dhavid has played the game)
here is the gamercard where u can see he played PES2008
http://card.mygamercard.net/ES/sig/dhavid.jpg

from what i heard from dhavid,the game is good and he enjoys it a lot.
Its much and much better compared to the 360 demo,very good AI and keepers are very good and new animations
The 360 version has no ingame slowdowns, ONLY from replay,but very little;)

good to hear.. then i'll jump in for the 360 version (hate slowdown as i said!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom