WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread (Last Update 10/10/07)

That is GREAT news. Pity we have to wait ANOTHER year but as they say; the best things come to those who wait.
If there's more teams and some kind of career mode (either an enhanced ML or an enhanced Fantasista mode) then this time next year I will be making love to Seabass and telling him all is forgiven.

See, I'm not a hater, I'm a lover.

If there's more teams and some kind of career mode (either an enhanced ML or an enhanced Fantasista mode) then this time next year I will be making love to Seabass and telling him all is forgiven.

See, I'm not a hater, I'm a lover.

Haha, me too! We do need a new career mode and more leagues. ESPECIALLY lower league teams for the Sheffield Weds, Derby County and Tranmere Rovers supporters of this world.

For what?

Criticising the beloved PES.

Come on give me a break.

*punch in the face* that's it for ya...

Read my previous statements carefully please and stop acting like an angry dog who barks at anyone just for sake of barking.

Last edited:

For the constantly disheartened at the lack of changes in PES (like myself), read these articles.

Fuck me, are things about to change?

celebrate.jpg

Read. Very interesting.
The query for Seabass now is: can you give us PES2009 before EURO2008?

Because we know there is a better technology for our beloved game now, and we want it now :)

I don't want to wait 1 year from now.

just playing the pro evo demo now, and for the first time iv'e put it on to regular level, and it seems abit slower and not as frustrating....for some reason it still feels hard to play (perhaps it's just me)

regardless, i'm still anticapating pes2008

Thanks for that interview Jack.
It certainly suggests that the people who are criticizing PES2008 are right.
Damn corporate business, why not wait a few months and bring what will be PES2009 out as PES2008????
Am i being biased if i say that Seabass is aware that there is not enough evolution and that there will be a revolution next year (i read between the lines a major overhaul in the developing team of PES).

Basically Seabass has realised that the PES 6 and PES 2008 "next gen" are a bit of a joke considering the capabilities of the PS3/360 consoles. Consumers want more than what Konami have been offering. They are very positive interviews for me. :)

Remembering Pes 1, Pes 2 and Pes 3 evolution story I'm not really surprised that this year's PES is not what we've expected.

Remembering Pes 1, Pes 2 and Pes 3 evolution story I'm not really surprised that this year's PES is not what we've expected.

Very true. When i first bought the ps2 PES1 was out. However, Konami didn't make any real changes to 'next gen' then and i was playing the last incarnation, iss pro evo 2 from ps1 until PES2 came out on ps2.

With this interview Konami unveiled real PES2008 identity.

I think that a very bad PES2008's sales performance would permit an early release of a new PES2009.

So boycott guys boycott! ;)

I fucking loved PES 1, 3 and 5. It all went pear-shaped with 6 though . . .

I bought a brand new PS3 together with Fifa 08 just yesterday... and after many hours of playing I returned Fifa and got my money back... I hope PES will not disappoint me... but we will see on that

I bought a brand new PS3 together with Fifa 08 just yesterday... and after many hours of playing I returned Fifa and got my money back... I hope PES will not disappoint me... but we will see on that

FIFA08 is not for all.

I'm joking, really... don't insult me please ;)

It seems that with the interview, this thread has calmed down a bit. :)

Nice to read the interview. Finally someone had the balls to ask Seabass why the game is so similar to PS2 versions. Awesome to see that we may finally have a revolution next year. I know for one thing, that if Konami stop being lazy, and actually work for something new, we'll probably have the best game ever!! Bring on PES2009 :p

seabass interview

Shingo 'Seabass' Takatsuka is a living soccer legend. The mastermind behind the exceptional Pro Evolution Soccer series has been creating our favourite game of footy for years now, but 2008 signals a milestone for the long-running soccer series, with PS3 and Wii versions of the game now completing a full next gen line-up.

So it was with great pleasure we sat down with Seabass at the Pro Evo Finals currently being held in Seville to get the lowdown on how the series has evolved in its move onto PS3, his vision for how the online modes of the game will continue to grow, the thorny issue of integrating simulation (or diving) into gameplay and how he plans a complete and radical overhaul for the series in 2009.

Advertisement:
Here's what we discovered.

This is the first Pro Evolution Soccer on PS3 - are you pleased with what you've achieved and how do you see the series evolving on PS3?

Seabass: Well I'm satisfied in that in the time frame we had, we were able to finish the code and release it on time, but that's only really within that time frame. When I look at the capacity of what the PS3 can do, I feel very strongly that there's loads of things that I wanted to do, but I couldn't do them in this version.

As to the future, well it's not just about PS3 actually, but it's more about the mentality of the development team and I want to change the mentality of the team to be renewed and changed to focus on all next-gen platforms. We've already started operations on this.

How do you see the online version of the series, how has that changed in 2008 and how do you see it developing in subsequent versions of PES?

Seabass: Well for this year the online mode for all platforms is one versus one and in that aspect you may be a little unsatisfied by this. But when you play the game online you'll have a totally different experience. Up to last year on the PS2 for example, we were up to two versus two but if we proceeded to five versus five or six versus six, I wouldn't have been happy because the experience you would have had would be a totally different experience to the game you play offline.

Therefore what we did is change the system so that in this version you had a much closer playing experience to the offline version provided you have a good internet connection. The 'play feel' you get is almost like you're playing the offline version. It was a little bit different in the 360 version last year, but this is even more different than in this year's PS3 version.

This year's next gen versions still seem very much based on the PS2 version of the game. Will we see a big overhaul in graphics and game engine over the next couple of years in the next gen versions?

Seabass: Well I can already promise you that next year's version of PES will have a lot more new features as you would expect because we're already working on these new things right now. With the release of the PS3 we now have all the basics of the next gen at a starting stage finally. Now I don't have to worry about creating the basic parts of the next gen versions for next year, meaning I have already been able to start working on new features. Now I'm able to promise new things and a complete overhaul in every aspect.

We haven't seen many changes in PES's game modes for a while - are you planning new game modes for next year's version?

Seabass: For the game modes I understand that we haven't added many new game modes which is quite problematic for us, even within the team. But actually all the new modes which we are going to put in the game for next season are already finished. Obviously I'd like to be able to tell you what these are, but you'll understand I can't tell you about the new modes for next season, when we haven't even released PES 2008 yet!
But it's not just the new modes which are important, but changes to the actually gameplay are even more crucial, so I don't want to forget about that aspect as well.

One of the new features of the game this year is diving. Can you tell us a little about that? It has provoked some controversy amongst the fans especially with the ability to use it in online games

Seabass: Well diving is something you do see in real football and anything I see in real football I do like to implement in our game. This diving feature is not something that just popped up a couple of months ago and something we just decided to chuck in. We have been experimenting with this a long time and we did a lot of work balancing things out when we put in this feature. You might think that diving would really affect gameplay and of course it does to a certain extent, however you can't always dive and get a penalty, in fact you're more likely to get a yellow card from the referee.

If I can give you a hint, diving is best used in certain situations where even if you had not dived, the shot might have gone in. Then it's more obvious the ref will probably not give you a yellow card but give you a penalty. You have to work out the situation, if you're one on one with the keeper and it looks as if you're going to score and you're tackled from behind, then is probably the best time to use the dive. When your player wobbles as he's tackled that's the time to use the dive as you'll have a higher percentage chance of earning a penalty.

Has the DualShock 3 pad made much of an impact on development and will that succeed DualShock 2 as the best way of controlling PES?

Seabass: Well the DualShock 3, the biggest improvement that they've probably made is re-introducing rumble and as you know PES has never made use of rumble, so in that sense it's not very interesting for me. What's more important is that i want to make PES more precise in terms of movement with the D-pad and make the button configuration simpler, using less buttons and that's more of a priority when I look at DualShock 3.

When you compare 360 and PS3 versions of PES, which do you think is the better version in terms of control?

Seabass: Well firstly there's absolutely no difference in terms of the code between the PS3 and 360 versions. If you're asking about the controller I can only give you my personal opinion. I am really bad at using the 360 controller and I make a lot more missed passes and mistakes using the 360 controller, so I like the PS3 controller more. However a lot of my friends prefer the 360 controller so it's really personal preference, but there's absolutely no difference in the code between the two versions.

-----------------

its always like this, when a console is new only the 2nd version of the game for that console is more close to perfect. pes2009 will be THE GAME.

Especially about the on-line mode plays almost as good as offline will make a lot of people happy. :)

I guess we have to take what little positives we can from Seasaw and given the way he's crowed about big changes in the past that turned out to be the smallest of tweaks or implementations, I'll take his words with a pinch of salt for now. It's also funny him saying most of these are already done, I take it that's the things they have taken out over the last three years... It also seams funny that were always looking forward to and talking about next years installment before the release of this years, even Seanoevil is doing it now... I can' think of another title where that happens to the extent it does with Pes, it's almost like a get out clause... yeah! it's not what you wanted but next year, wow!! you just wait...

Very honest interview, future seems more promising.

P.S.
And finally the "ps3 leading version legend" has vanished forever.

Well i look forward to PES 2009 and look forward to seeing what Seabass has to deliver. :)

Definitely interesting about a complete overhaul its certainly long overdue imo. :)

BTW SeaBass is gonna give his PR team an heart attack by releasing this interview right before the game ships!

I guess we have to take what little positives we can from Seasaw and given the way he's crowed about big changes in the past that turned out to be the smallest of tweaks or implementations, I'll take his words with a pinch of salt for now.
I can understand your cautioness but read again what he said here:
Seabass: For the game modes I understand that we haven't added many new game modes which is quite problematic for us, even within the team. But actually all the new modes which we are going to put in the game for next season are already finished
See what I mean? This is no pinch of salt, this is concrete! He can promise it, because it is already finished!
It's also funny him saying most of these are already done, I take it that's the things they have taken out over the last three years...
"a complete overhaul" looks like it is not something old to put back...
It means you clean up with the old stuff and make new things...
It also seams funny that were always looking forward to and talking about next years installment before the release of this years, even Seanoevil is doing it now... I can' think of another title where that happens to the extent it does with Pes, it's almost like a get out clause... yeah! it's not what you wanted but next year, wow!! you just wait...
I think he feels he has to be open now with the improved FIFA at the back of his mind... Looks like EA did PES-fans a big favor because Konami now feels they must show us they will improve things...

.....and i want Kaka on the cover for PES 2009 :o
but it have a feeling there gonna try to rls the game early(before EURO 2008)...then no Kaka cover ofcourse:(

It is also likely that with the Wii success (especially in japan) they had to spend a lot of time and energy in making that version excellent. and from what i saw the wii version looks excellent.

And i am glad i haven't bought a ps3 to play pes this year, in a year time with the first real next gen pes 09 is gonna be cheaper (hopefully) and with few more decent games (hopefully again).

Last edited:

See?! Just keep positive and you get what you want, but you have to be a bit patient ;)

"See"? Those interviews just prove that the people boycotting PES are right. It's still not next gen, 2 years after the release of the Xbox360.

"See"? Those interviews just prove that the people boycotting PES are right. It's still not next gen, 2 years after the release of the Xbox360.

Let's put it this way: pes5 was the best pes in the PS2 era, than we have a 2 year transition to next gen and pes09 is gonna be the beginning of the new king. I mean a painful transition but most likely necessary to experiment/getting to know the new console/ reading the feedback etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom