WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread (Last Update 09/27/07)

Ruliweb: We'd like to know the release date on the Korean version.
Seabass: I can't tell you right now, but I know that it will be simultaneously released as the Japanese version. But for Korean users, we included subtitles, players' names and commentary in English in Japanese version.

Ruliweb: Do all versions (PS3, Xbox 360, PS2) include English?
Seabass: All include English. As for Blu-Ray, since it has a lot of room, we think it's a good idea to release the multi-language version in the future.

F*ck yeahh:):)
awsome, this made my day
gonna get WE2008 for sure now

About master league, I would say its new, but still not new, well didnt PES2 or 3 or something have 3 divisions of a good amount of teams.

What I would like is something like 20 in the top league for each 4 sets, and then a 2nd division for each of 24 atleast, then maybe add a third in the one your in of 20 or 24, that would be ok, then have a league cup of just teams in your division, aswell as one with all leagues from that in, or something, like the one with all teams would be able to get into europe. Something.

I liked master league before, so 20 teams is alright for me, obviosuly it could be much better, but I have always found master league fun.

Seabass: I can't tell you right now, but I know that it will be simultaneously released as the Japanese version. But for Korean users, we included subtitles, players' names and commentary in English in Japanese version.

Seabass: All include English. As for Blu-Ray, since it has a lot of room, we think it's a good idea to release the multi-language version in the future.

F*ck yeahh:):)
awsome, this made my day
gonna get WE2008 for sure now

Damn right brother :D

About master league, I would say its new, but still not new, well didnt PES2 or 3 or something have 3 divisions of a good amount of teams.

What I would like is something like 20 in the top league for each 4 sets, and then a 2nd division for each of 24 atleast, then maybe add a third in the one your in of 20 or 24, that would be ok, then have a league cup of just teams in your division, aswell as one with all leagues from that in, or something, like the one with all teams would be able to get into europe. Something.

I liked master league before, so 20 teams is alright for me, obviosuly it could be much better, but I have always found master league fun.

The whole game's league structure needs to be overhauled, Each country needs at least 1 lower league.

Seabass interview by Ruliweb (Thanks WENB)

Ruliweb: It could be said that now is sort of a transition period to the next-gen consoles. With all the changes in game development environment (for the next-gen), were there any difficulties in developing the game?

Takatsuka "Seabass" Shingo: As you mentioned, there were numerous difficulties during the transition from PS1 to PS2. This time is no different, for there are many technical aspects that were not present before. It's not as hard as it used to be, because we've amassed know-hows for a long time. Still, there are some difficult parts due to the switch to the next-gen.

Ruliweb: Unlike previous series, this year's title includes the year. Would the forthcoming series all include years in the title?

Seabass: Opinions in Konami seem to advocate the change to include the years. So we plan on sticking to this change.

Ruliweb: Winning Eleven 2008 will be released both for PS3 and Xbox360. Since both consoles differ in hardwares, we'd presume that there should be some differences in any form between the two versions. What do you say?

Seabass: It will be released not only for PS3 and Xbox360, but for PS2 as well. The graphics for each version might differ, for each console has its own video power. AI for PS2 is not completely the same. But we've studied and tried hard, so that the gameplay won't be vastly different. These differences aside, however, there are no other differences among all versions.

Ruliweb: In online play, would you be able to watch a match of other players?

Seabass: No. We'll try to get it implemented for next installment.

Ruliweb: Winning Eleven 2008 seems quite different from previous series in terms of overall atmosphere and interface. What is the biggest change?

Seabass: We had designed the series so far from a Japanese' point of view. For this version, we developed the game, with more international, universal views in the back of our mind.

Ruliweb: This is the 11th installment of the series. But it has become more and more popular over time. Why do you think it is?

Seabass: I think the fact that it's a game you can play together with people is the reason behind its popularity. Also, improvements in AI and graphics with each new series were probably why.

Ruliweb: We saw some of the newly-added motions. How many more were added?

Seabass: It's tough to give you an exact number but quite a few more were added. I also think with more motions in, game balance has gotten better and there are more to enjoy in the game. Also, with the addition of motions, we developed the game based on the principle that football is not something you play alone but also something that you have to consider opponents' movements.

Ruliweb: We'd like to know why not all the national and Premiership teams are licensed.

Seabass: I'm sorry, but it's something I cannot directly talk about. But I'd like you to understand that it is never a financial reason. (laugh)

Ruliweb: Would you consider implementing Sega's Football Manager-style in the Master League?

Seabass: We plan to do so, little by little. I reckon it'll end up turning into something like it ultimately.

Ruliweb: How many teams are there in a league in Master League Mode?

Seabass: It might later be possible to add many kinds of leagues, like how it's done with European Champions League, but there are 20 teams in a league this time around. As the series goes on, I think it'd become closer and closer to the reality.

Ruliweb: During the gameplay in previous installments, when the radar was placed on the bottom of the screen, it was sometimes hard to see what's going on under the radar. Would this be improved?

Seabass: It got improved a bit, but if it is still not satisfactory, I'm very sorry.

Ruliweb: I was told that AI was also improved. Would you be able to give specific examples on how much of an improvement has been made?

Seabass: For example, in a match against computer, one-pass (?) won't work. So where passes are made or how they are made changed a lot, in order to reflect the reality.

Ruliweb: The one AI that was rather disappointing has been goalkeeper's AI. How much better is it?

Seabass: Goalkeeper's motions evolved a lot. We adjusted goalkeeper's AI. I think gamers would find it be quite satisfying this time around. If keepers are too good, game would become too difficult.

Ruliweb: Do you plan to add coach's appearances or his goal celebrations?

Seabass: You can see a coach and subs in the bench in 2008. There are no coach's goal celebrations but in a (normal) goal celebration, you can sometimes see a child in the stand.

Ruliweb: In previous versions, the time when you make a shot and a goal seemed to be a bit out-of-sync, would they be in sync on this one?

Seabass: They are.

Ruliweb: Would there be a diving?

Seabass: There is, on this Winning Eleven 2008. For example, if you press L1, L2 during dribble, player will roll down on the pitch. But it won't just trigger it by pressing on it randomly. Refs are also designed to factor in the overall flow of the game and the situation when diving happens.

Ruliweb: When deciding stats of a player, what do you consider the most?

Seabass: We don't decide based on one match. We look at many matches and get the averages and apply justly.

Ruliweb: Have you received any complaints from a player or national football association due to stats set for some players and teams?

Seabass: So far, we haven't received any. (laugh)

Ruliweb: Do you plan on adding a ball sound in sound settings? When turning up the volume to the max to get the real-match feel, the ball sound has been louder than crowd's noise, like... say, volleyball.

Seabass: We improved on that part. Just because you record a real ball kicking sound and put it in the game doesn't make it sound real. You have to find the sound that is closest to the ball. We've tried to match the reality as closely as we could. Also, there is an option where you can control the ball sound.

Ruliweb: Are you satisfied with the ball physics? I heard that you were even studying physics circa Winning Eleven 7. How did you apply the ball physics in the game?

Seabass: I'm still not satisfied. We plan to tune up the ball physics even more to match the reality in the future. I've been steadily studying physics. Right now, I'm focusing more on movements of players. With books and videos, I'm studying human vision movement. As of now, instead of completely applying real human movements to the game, we're concentrating more on improved controls, in order to make it more game-like, or finding a right mix of game and the reality. We're trying to pursue the path where controlling feels like NES and smoothness of screen flows like PS3.

Ruliweb: Demo version seems to have a bit long a loading time. Since PS3 could let users install the game on the hard drive, how much can loading time be shorten? And if PS3 version allows installation on the hard drive, how would you shorten the loading time for Xbox 360 version?

Seabass: Since the game is not complete yet, I wouldn't be able to tell you exactly. But loading time is something that we try to make it as short as possible. As for PS3, game can be partially installed on the hard drive for a quicker loading time. As for Xbox 360, partial install wouldn't be possible due to the policy. However, since it's the second installment for the console, we can't say for sure that it will necessarily have a longer loading time than PS3 at the moment.

Ruliweb: The game will be released in almost any platform possible. Is there any difficulty in doing so?

Seabass: To be frank, there isn't any specially-added difficulty just because we're releasing it for all the platforms. The game is being developed on a PC and and we port it to each different console. So there is not too much trouble in doing it.

Ruliweb: Would Winning Eleven 2008 be the last one for PS2?

Seabass: It won't be the last one. When PS2 was out, for 2-3 years we had PS1 versions. Just like it, we'll have more PS2 versions in the future. I think this time, it will be longer than 2-3 years.

Ruliweb: New and improved PSP just got released. Will the PSP version in the future include the voice commentary?

Seabass: Our team got to see the new PSP just yesterday. So we can't say it for sure. However, AI and online mode have been improved to the standard of PS2.

Ruliweb: Wii version was also announced. Would a user put the controller around the foot? Or just use the classic controller?

Seabass: It won't be put around the foot just yet. Since Wii version is being developed by a different producer, I can't say anything in detail. We plan to announce more details on it this winter.

Seabass: All include English. As for Blu-ray, since it has a lot of room, we think it's a good idea to release the multi-language version in the future.

Ruliweb: Like Fifa Online, is there any plan to make it available online-only?

Seabass: Our team is thinking about it a lot, but I can't disclose anything on that here yet.

Ruliweb: Please leave a message to Ruliweb visitors.

Seabass: I sincerely thank you all for enjoying Winning Eleven. I think with this year's new version, it will be more fun. Enjoy it with your friends.

So there we go my friends. Yess!! The Japansese version will have the English option! That makes my life so much easier. Interesting that the Wii version has a different producer!?! So many interesting points unveiled in that interview with regards to the game and what to expect. I hope you enjoyed that and don't forget to send in your questions for our main man Erik Hansson from Level7 who is gonna meet Seabass on Thursday!

Best Regards,

Suffwan

I've made a PESFan suggestion on this topic. Please vote if you glad Euphoria engine. ;)
It's an extremely interesting and promising technology, when next year Backbreaker will be out, finally we'll be able to try it on a sport game! :) I can't wait.

Voted :)

I've made a PESFan suggestion on this topic. Please vote if you glad Euphoria engine. ;)
It's an extremely interesting and promising technology, when next year Backbreaker will be out, finally we'll be able to try it on a sport game! :) I can't wait.

I'll vote later.

It turns out that I've already voted.

Damn right brother :D

I thinks ditto.

Last edited:

Pace looks better but as long as they keep the perfect passing on the feet it will never feel real.

...and if the passing is not perfect, you may say it is too scripted ;)

Oh damn, just came to me.. can someone (if the guys from winningelevenblog dont see this)please make sure this question is brought forward to seabass:

Q. Why on earth did the we10+ versions get rid of the fantastic option to be able to change a combination of socks,shorts,and shirts, as was in we9LE (i think it was also available in we9, we8jl - but cant remember). Why did konami get rid of something that was obviously something 100% of the fans approved of..

A. ?????? (thisll be interesting - maybe a really bad editing team / or game testing team who missed the ommission)

Ruliweb: Do you plan to add coach's appearances or his goal celebrations?
Seabass: You can see a coach and subs in the bench in 2008. There are no coach's goal celebrations but in a (normal) goal celebration, you can sometimes see a child in the stand.

A child?! Really?....Excellent!

Once again the interview makes for unpleasant reading. He really seems more and more clueless with every passing interview.

Nothing new in ML? Really, I thought 20 teams in division 2 was new alone, I must be playing a different version mine only has 8 :(

Aswell as all the other fancy crap, with popularity and shite, the only reason players came was because of your Wefa ranking, now it should be how popular your team is and how good it is, two factors.

I dont mind, as long as I play :D
One way or another i certainly will be getting my £29.99 worth with this "improved" ML mode. ;)

The grass at Estádio da Luz is a LOT greener. And the stadium shadows on the ground look awful... :/ It looks like f*cked up grass instead of a shadow.
You can change the grass, but yes the shadows look strange on this video.

Last edited:

I say we hire Jack Bauer (not evo web JB) to kidnap Seabass, he'll get proper answers out of him!

Can you imagine Jack Bauer alone in a room with Seabass?!

By the time their finished Seabass will be speaking English!

:lol:

Believe me, I would be Seabass's worst nightmare after five years of no lower-league teams. I can see lots of rope and electricals...

I can see it now!

My dream is failing passes on my own :)

It's worth remembering that in this game we are supposed to be controlling the superstars of world football - kaka, ronaldo, messi, ronaldinho - these guys are pro footballers who can accurately make 99% of the intended passes (obviously less for longer balls)...IMHO switching to 100% manual passes would disturb thye flow of the game and lead to a higher percentage (an unrealistic percenage) of moves breaking down. therefore negatively changing the game experience. maybe there is a happy medium - an equilibrium of passing style!..but for me i like the way you can ping passes around naturally.

i'd rather see othe areas improved first ie. the shooting and all the off field options that have been removed - and as always, THE GOAL NETS!!!

It's worth remembering that in this game we are supposed to be controlling the superstars of world football - kaka, ronaldo, messi, ronaldinho - these guys are pro footballers who can accurately make 99% of the intended passes (obviously less for longer balls)...IMHO switching to 100% manual passes would disturb thye flow of the game and lead to a higher percentage (an unrealistic percenage) of moves breaking down. therefore negatively changing the game experience. maybe there is a happy medium - an equilibrium of passing style!..but for me i like the way you can ping passes around naturally.

i'd rather see othe areas improved first ie. the shooting and all the off field options that have been removed - and as always, THE GOAL NETS!!!
You obviously dont account for the fact that if we had manual passes (proper ones at that) we could judge the power and direction for ourselves... thats what Kaka and all these world superstars do and people call PES realistic when it doesnt have such a feature?

Yes, but probably you can admit we need some high degree of control on mid-long passes (a switch manual/auto at least).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom