WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread (Last Update 09/27/07)

The thing that annoys me most about this form of cpu cheat is that PES relies so heavily on them. Of course, the usual argument will come that the cpu cannot out-think a human so it needs to cheat in order to compete but, even if that were true, that does mean it is not crap.

They talk about Teamvision, the all-new, next-gen AI model, yet the game is still full of these cpu cheats. I don't see anything new in that.

Of course, programming the AI is probably the most demanding aspect of the game but their solution is to use more and more cpu cheats and I will not be giving them any praise for such a solution. They make £millions from the game so they can take the criticism too.

I agree with you, although I have seen less of the annoyances from the AI in PES2008. The AI feels alot smarter and does less stupid things like miss pass opportunituies etc.

My big grief is mostly with the physics and the way the players should adhere to the same laws as real humans.

Some will probably say that they don't want PES to be a simulation. Yet for me, seeing realistic player models of real-life humans running about like they have rockets in their hinies, breaking the laws of physics (and not just small stuff, that would be impossible to erradicate, but really big stuff that isn't just mildly exaggerated but way over the limit for reality) just looks weird.

And I feel it has gotten worse. PES4 was way too fast in many ways, and players just moved in ways humans don't (obviously most moves might have been motion-captured from real humans, so in that case it is how moves flow and link that is wrong). But PES5 is still my fav of the games. Players feel just right, never really do anything that real humans couldn't. Most of the time when they turn 90 degrees with the ball they do that slow animation where they move the ball to the side and then take a few steps to slow down and absorb the speed they had, before moving on. I'd rather the players take longer time to do something, than doing it faster than is actually possible.

PES6 and PES2008 though just aren't right. PES6 had goalkeepers during freekicks skipping sideways faster than they could run normally. PES2008 is overall too fast when comparing to real humans, which I feel is the only way to look at it.

I would be glad to help

I'd like to join you on this ;)

Cheers mates. ;)

Now to find 30-100 experienced programmers who will do whatever I tell them. \\:o/

Last edited:

Aparently Gianluigi Buffon and Cristiano Ronaldo will appear in Italian and Portuguese cover of the game. :)

sjees crist....when the hell there gonna get a good Babels face.
He seems very kiddie and chubby like.....and in real life he has a long face not that chubby.....sjeessss
pro_evolution_soccer_2008_pes_pc_action_pcaction_de_PCA_021.jpg

Dude... It`s a MOVIE. Do you know what gameplay movies can do without the right compression?.................. And do you really think that the gameplay would be THAT fast?

Umm yes i have the pes 2008 demo on 360 and its THAT fucking fast

nah man be real its not that fast like in that vid:)

TVG Review of Fifa 08:

"Another area where the title still falls down is its failure to make one player seem different from the next. Other than basic abilities and attributes such as pace, playing with Ronaldhino still feels irritatingly similar to playing with Mark Viduka. This is something that the FIFA series has continuously fallen down on since its very first game in the early to mid nineties. I guess some things will never change."

This will always be fifa's downfall and the reason why pes will always be better.

TVG Review of Fifa 08:

"Another area where the title still falls down is its failure to make one player seem different from the next. Other than basic abilities and attributes such as pace, playing with Ronaldhino still feels irritatingly similar to playing with Mark Viduka. This is something that the FIFA series has continuously fallen down on since its very first game in the early to mid nineties. I guess some things will never change."

This will always be fifa's downfall and the reason why pes will always be better.

Or you could play FIFA and realise that its still a great game, and there are enough differences between players to make use of the better ones.

One thing PES falls down on, is the fact that you could be running with Henry, who we all know is fantastically quick, and then the CPU Makelele (not so quick) will leg it past you, steal the ball and then burst down the wing or something. So having differences between players really doesn't matter very much anyway.

One thing PES falls down on, is the fact that you could be running with Henry, who we all know is fantastically quick, and then the CPU Makelele (not so quick) will leg it past you, steal the ball and then burst down the wing or something. So having differences between players really doesn't matter very much anyway.

Doesn't happen in 2008.

TVG Review of Fifa 08:

I disagree not everyone so good and lifelike but the two players mentioned in article are miles apart in game you cant even compare.

They just sent me an email with a price change for my pre-order but it was a price reduction which I can't complain about. I hope that helps!
OK, thanks.

Hopefuly Shopto.net will still have the price as £29.99 when it is being dispatched.

BTW, liv21, when did contact you to confirm your order for the preordered game?

In all fairness I would probably think it was okay, but only if the speed (or the animation, whatever makes it appear so blindingly fast) is fixed, and if it was harder (I can play the demo on the top difficulty and win every game - and I'm one of those guys who play single-player, so it does matter).

Last edited:

Mate I got that from a lot of guys who I work with. Many of them bought Fifa to keep them occupied until PES hits, and they've been impressed.

But they played PES 2008 on the 360 recently and loved it, after seriously having doubts about it. Personally I thinks its people who have played PES all their life trying to play Fifa 08 in a different way, then going back to their roots by playing PES. There's that instant connection with the series.

What plataform do you have at home Adonis?

TVG Review of Fifa 08:

this is just bullshit. playing with ronaldinho or messi feels superb. what a bullshit

Aparently Gianluigi Buffon and Cristiano Ronaldo will appear in Italian and Portuguese cover of the game. :)

yup this is the one

i've seen this cover on tv and on game stores promoting the game

8612bkp7.jpg

What plataform do you have at home Adonis?

Do you mean what consoles I own? PS3 and Wii mate. If you mean what version of PES 2008, all of them next week ;)

something new about PS3 demo???? why the images of the PS3 & xbox versions are better than pc Images........ look the pcaction images and the ps3 playscope images.....

something new about PS3 demo???? why the images of the PS3 & xbox versions are better than pc Images........ look the pcaction images and the ps3 playscope images.....

Yeh I spotted that too.

Spoke to the PC Action guys and they are playing PES on a monster PC. Clearly the console versions will look better, they have that extra sharpness and polish to them.

Mate I got that from a lot of guys who I work with. Many of them bought Fifa to keep them occupied until PES hits, and they've been impressed.

But they played PES 2008 on the 360 recently and loved it, after seriously having doubts about it. Personally I thinks its people who have played PES all their life trying to play Fifa 08 in a different way, then going back to their roots by playing PES. There's that instant connection with the series.

Spot on.

got FIFA on thursday - at first, thought it was great. Was assuming that after a few hours i'd be able to play the way i wanted, as we do when starting with a news PES. But 30+ hours later, i can't help think it's actually quite a one-trick pony. Every teams plays the same, players only differ in height and speed with no personality - played liv-barc and ronalidinho was like roy keane on speed with his tackling and harrying! And every team defends like a rubber band around them - no defender ever drops position.

Whisper it but i've got some sympathy now with konami - if they built a new engine, they could lose the viscerality, the intensity that the current pes engine has and that FIFa is desperate to acquire. The worst thing about FIFA is that at times it "looks" exactly like football, but rarely "feels" like it and justr isn;t that much fun. I've got respect and admiration for the FIFA attempt this year, but i'm starting to wonder whether the game will ever truly find it's soul.

Waiting for pes 2008 i suppose - hoping that those who say extended play leads to joy and wonderment are speaking the educated truth. As i see it, the simple fact is this: if pes added even just 16 direction movement and a bit of manual passing, it would soar far beyond FIFA again (not a pes fanboy, really wanted FIFA to kick pes's arse this year to liven up seabass and just cos want a good football game, no matter who's it is).

FIFA feels like a supermodel - when you see in paper you want them, but in close, their pretty empty. You marry pes. You want it's kids. It feels right......

I was going to write a load of stuff myself,but this guy said it all for me...

Got FIFA on Friday, have been playing it all weekend, and to be honest I really liked it at first. But then the more I played it,the more I wanted it to play like Pro Evo...

SO now I'm playing the Pro Evo demo, cursing myself that I keep pressing the wrong buttons that I've been using for FIFA!

EA are getting closer and closer, but there's one thing they aint got right yet, and that's how much fun it is to play Pro Evo!

It'd be teams, and that would include the unplayable ones that you saw in PES6 when doing that qualifying mode(can't remember it's name as I never played the thing). There's only going to be a handul of new playable teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom