WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread (Last Update 09/27/07)

wow!! i can´t see inprovemnents!!
for me, the game still has a unreallystic FAST pace...
the passes are very fast!!
specially the long balls!!
i play the demo in 360 ysterday for 4 hours and i really like the new skills... it´s more responsive and the animations is much more beautiful when you are dribling than PES6!!
i love the new way to protect the ball!!! really nice, but:
WTF Konami made with the passes in this game!???
they retired the slow and higher long balls using the R2 (RT in 360)!!!
now, all long balls are veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery fast and not higher!!!
totally unrealistic!!!
there´s no way to play a game with long balls to yours center forwards chalenges like most small teams do in real life!!
there is only the traditional fast pace passes way to play!!!
too bad konami!!
we, football lovers want a REAL SIMULATION of the beautiful game!!!!!

Yeah, I don't see anything in the latest videos that make me think there's any substantial improvements. The first thing that strikes me is it's laughably fast, I honestly thought it was on fast-forward. The game does not flow like real football and is never particularly convincing. The main problem is that it is so reminiscent of PES6...there's nothing new to get me excited.

It's disappointing. I've been playing FIFA08 for the last couple of days and am left wondering why some people are getting so excited by it. It's OK, has some nice touches, but still piss-poor at times and the physics is a bit of a mess.

It looks like yet another year with 2 unsatisfactory football games.

What a joke that ball selection. Another let down added to the 15 stadium fact.... :lmao:

look, i dont think anyone cares about what u have to say.. If PES is so unrealistic and crap then dont buy.. I couldnt care less if i was the only one with PES, its what i love to play.. Go back to ur Fifa thread and go suck off a few of ur fellow companions!
Jeez, this is a WE/PES thread for christs sake, not a come in fifa fanboys and start bitchin about everything thread..

I Couldn`t agree more even though you could have said it in a different way :). Please keep this thread clean with we/pes news. I respect Plan M his opinion but it`s starting to piss me off.

There are some nice teamgeist balls there but it could use a bit more variety.

StayingPower, Plan M is allowed to post but he is marked with Fifa on every front (Avatar, below username, signature) so I have no reason to believe anything he says. Plus, he hasn't even played the actual game.

Well, half the forum have those avatars. ;) I think what people are trying to say by having them is EA have made a fantastic game and the ball is now in Konami's court. After all, no one here is a 'Fifa fanboy', it's a Pro Evo forum. People just want the best footy game, for some it's Fifa and for others it's Pro Evo. :)

For me realsim= fun, arcade=boredom in 2 weeks.

Thanks TG, just watched the clips, less and less impressed, visually it looks mora cartoony than 360.

I will concur that the thing that hurts PES the most is the simplicity of it. Simplicity itself isn't bad, but in the case of PES I already am tired of the demo. The fact that you need no finesse or thought when passing is so depressing for me personally, I don't get anything out of it. Simply aiming the stick in a general direction (of only 8) and pressing the pass button is as far from the real deal as you can come in my opinion.

I know I sound like a broken record, and I respect people who like PES for what it is. I am not trying to cheapen your PES experience, I have enjoyed it for many years myself. :)

I guess I am just depressed that PES hasn't taken the steps I want. FIFA are ont eh right path, but I tried the manual passing in FIFA, and it still felt like I had no control. I would aim where I wanted the ball to go, yet it wouldn't go there. The point of analog aiming is to have it very intuitive, where it is predictable (and it also needs to be high resolution, because over distances of 20m or more, even 32 directions has a big error margin (several meters). I have still the reference from ISS98, where I after not playing it for years could pick it up and strike perfect longpasses. Obviously the curl function helps since you can correct slight missaims by giving it a nice curled arch.

Right now I have no football game to enjoy.

My dream would be a game where I could get the ball just outside the penalty area, and choose to semi-chip it into the far corner, by myself judging the height needed, and the power needed, and round it off with a quick aftertouch curl (which would only be available a very short while after the ball leaves the boot so as to not be a function you can abuse to easily correct misaims).

But with PES right now we have the choice of a shot, or a lob. I want something in between, and there I am, not being able to do what can be done in real life.

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RGGnyL9adc

That is lower than a PES L1 chip, but more lofted and slower than a shot or controlled shot (it is sort of the same strike as a :circle: longpass, but since those are 8 directions they are useless anyways unless you are standing perfectly so that you will hit the goal when aiming perfectly 45 degrees diagonally). If they gave us a chance to manually choose from a analog height range (for example by the tilt of the analog stick, where the tilt is started to measure from 50% tilt to 100% full tilt (angle) of the stick.

As always stats would prohibit mechanicaly perfect results all the time.

I just don't understand why a game cannot give me the same choices as in real life, where I can customize the power, height, direction and curl of the ball to get it where I want (if I am skilled with the stick and the player I control is skilled to execute what i want well enough).

In comparison PES is extremely arcade, because they scale down reality to 8 directions and a button press with only a general power bar.

Some (most?) people are satisfied, but I want the same logic and possibilities as in real football. It really depresses me that I need to go back to ISS98 to get somewhat that (though it lacks in the height control department somewhat, but far less than PES).

Last edited:

when the demo for PS3 finally comes out, can only people in Europe get it? is it multi region? or can we create another account like in xbox live's case

I will concur that the thing that hurts PES the most is the simplicity of it. Simplicity itself isn't bad, but in the case of PES I already am tired of the demo. The fact that you need no finesse or thought when passing is so depressing for me personally, I don't get anything out of it. Simply aiming the stick in a general direction (of only 8) and pressing the pass button is as far from the real deal as you can come in my opinion.

I know I sound like a broken record, and I respect people who like PES for what it is. I am not trying to cheapen your PES experience, I have enjoyed it for many years myself. :)

I guess I am just depressed that PES hasn't taken the steps I want. FIFA are ont eh right path, but I tried the manual passing in FIFA, and it still felt like I had no control. I would aim where I wanted the ball to go, yet it wouldn't go there. The point of analog aiming is to have it very intuitive, where it is predictable (and it also needs to be high resolution, because over distances of 20m or more, even 32 directions has a big error margin (several meters). I have still the reference from ISS98, where I after not playing it for years could pick it up and strike perfect longpasses. Obviously the curl function helps since you can correct slight missaims by giving it a nice curled arch.

My dream would be a game where I could get the ball just outside the penalty area, and choose to semi-chip it into the far corner, by myself judging the height needed, and the power needed, and round it off with a quick aftertouch curl (which would only be available a very short while after the ball leaves the boot so as to not be a function you can abuse to easily correct misaims).

But with PES right now we have the choice of a shot, or a lob. I want something in between, and there I am, not being able to do what can be done in real life.

That is lower than a PES L1 chip, but more lofted and slower than a shot or controlled shot (it is sort of the same strike as a :circle: longpass, but since those are 8 directions they are useless anyways unless you are standing perfectly so that you will hit the goal when aiming perfectly 45 degrees diagonally). If they gave us a chance to manually choose from a analog height range (for example by the tilt of the analog stick, where the tilt is started to measure from 50% tilt to 100% full tilt (angle) of the stick.

I just don't understand why a game cannot give me the same choices as in real life, where I can customize the power, height, direction and curl of the ball to get it where I want (if I am skilled with the stick and the player I control is skilled to execute what i want well enough).

In comparison PES is extremely arcade, because they scale down reality to 8 directions and a button press with only a general power bar.

Some (most?) people are satisfied, but I want the same logic and possibilities as in real football. It really depresses me that I need to go back to ISS98 to get somewhat that (though it lacks in the height control department somewhat, but far less than PES).

That video showed me that Fifa 08 emulates real soccer

My thoughts entirely.

I'd given up interest in PS and this thread a few weeks ago after hearing the Leipzig reports, seeing the videos and realising that PES2008 was just PES6 ported to PS3.

I turned my interests to FIFA08, with the promise of full manual passing and shooting, but the reality is a let down.

I find myself returning to the PES thread in the hope that perhaps, now the demos are released, PES is in fact the big improvement we hoped for. Alas, it is not.

Somehow, deep in my gut, I still have more faith in Seabass being capable of delivering the more realistic physics. Seeing PES2008 does not add strength to that hope, and I suspect I'll be here this time, next year, with the same hope for a break-though, but being left feeling "not again....still the same old crap".

Please, someone get the Football Kingdom programmers to rekindle that game and push it forward. This genre of game badly needs some new blood with true gameplay at the heart of it's philosophy, not script.

That video showed me that Fifa 08 emulates real soccer

i´m really like the fifa08 demo, but i still think that trance is right!!
there isn't a soccer game that give the player 100% fredom to do what he wants to do!!!andthisis very bad becausei have 100% sure that this new consoles has the power to do this!!!
i'm still hoping to see a pass system like footbal kingdom for exemple!!!
i would love to see a mix of these 3 games...:
- fast and responsive skill system (fast and simple dribles like cuts and others), strategy system and size field and player faces from pes2008 demo and camera angles and options from we

- pass system and nets from football kigdom

- more high (difficult)skills (like flip flap and others), pace of game, animation, shooting, graphics, licenses and overall presentation from fifa08

- and about AI and physics (most important thing in football games) a mix of this games. like all this games have amazing AI teammates and sometimes very bad!!!

this will be perfect to me!!!!!!!!!

just give this 3 teams that works in this games and let me coordenate them!!!
then all of us will have the perfect soccer game!!!
just kidding!!!:lmao::lmao:

Last edited:

But mate, in PES you have 2 types of lobs. You can actually do that kind of lob in the video. Normal lob is :l1: + :square: and the lob you want is :r1: + :square: (it is lower than the normal lob and faster just like the vid).

But mate, in PES you have 2 types of lobs. You can actually do that kind of lob in the video. Normal lob is :l1: + :square: and the lob you want is :r1: + :square: (it is lower than the normal lob and faster just like the vid).

AH! Beat me to it mate, was gonna add the same thing.

I gotta say after playing fifa for quite a few hours it becomes alittle one dimentional.

Thats not to say its a bad game, shooting is very good and passing is pretty crisp. It's just missing that spark that I get from playing PES.

So I am now quite optimistic that pes will at least tide me over till next year when hopefully we will see some real improvements.

Granted I havent played PES 2008 yet and granted that the Fifa demo differs to the final product but after playing the fifa demo I dont see and or understand how that game is realistic.

The pace of the game is slightly to slow for me, THE PLAYERS PUSH THE BALL AND DON'T PASS IT, when the players do simple 'passes' the ball bounces EVERY SINGLE TIME, thats not real. The ball still floats, player individuality isnt present in any way shape or form. Yes they deserve some credit for listening to the fans and being proactive in 'improving' their game but lets no forget that this is the 4th or 5th next gen Fifa attempt in the next generation vs PES' 2nd attempt and and the end of the day that counts for something whether people like it or not.

And for people to dismiss a 9/10 review from OPM is crazy.

People can spin this post in any direction they choose to.

Bought FIFA too. It is a great game and EA certainly have come a long way but just like in PES, it has a number of downsides too:

-Faces and bodies look Resident Evil like, player likeness is non-existent
-Response times are better, but players still have a sluggish feel
-I dont feel like I'm controlling the players, maybe I need some time getting used to it
Overall, tis a good game, but I miss the PES feeling. You can actually dictate a game how you want to in PES and have so much more satisfaction in PES when scoring. I really hope that 2008 is not as bad as it seems....
This is all imo, so please don't flame me yet. Oh yeah, I'd like the fanboy t-shirt in size M please.:d:d

I agree with you FreMM. The game is good but I miss the feel that I have in PES sofar. But I only have played about 20 games in the retail-version, so maybe I have to get used to it.

I think I played about 90-100 games now Han, and I still feel somethings not right. I don't mean the little things ( Roma's Mancini is white and Del Piero looks looks like a leprechaun with a Stallone complex) but the overall "feel" just isn't right. For me, that's very important and no matter how good FIFA is, that almost ruins the FIFA experience. Same goes for PES, no matter how bad or little updated as it may be, the "feel" of the game (for me personally) makes up for a lot.But Konami really do have get their finger out, because they are falling behind, there's no denying that.

Last edited:

Bought FIFA too. It is a great game and EA certainly have come a long way but just like in PES, it has a number of downsides too:

-Faces and bodies look Resident Evil like, player likeness is non-existent
-Response times are better, but players still have a sluggish feel
-I dont feel like I'm controlling the players, maybe I need some time getting used to it
Overall, tis a good game, but I miss the PES feeling. You can actually dictate a game how you want to in PES and have so much more satisfaction in PES when scoring. I really hope that 2008 is not as bad as it seems....
This is all imo, so please don't flame me yet. Oh yeah, I'd like the fanboy t-shirt in size M please.:d:d

I totally agree with you.

There is just no question about that, you want TOTAL control? You want pes.

I agree it looks not as polished as fifa but the gameplay OVERALL is still alot better.

No can we plz discus pes since this is a PES thread. Fifa fanboys who likes to make stupid jokes, there is a fifa thread where you can bash pes all day long.

my bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom