WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread (Last Update 09/19/07)

Gonna be lucky if I even get to play the demo at this rate - Xbox Live has gone into meltdown. Never known it to be this slow before - the whole internet must be ruddy downloading it.

Can you change the level (top player etc) or is it fixed?
You can change the level.

I have it on top player, and I've just ran from defence to attack without a single player closing me down. They all run to the goalie. I shoot, I score. Six goals in five games. I'm gutted.

has someone managed to setup a two-player match on the demo?

I heard that player stats are the same as in JLWE2007CC is that true? Adriano shot acc 80?

Requesting some stats :
Portugal - C.Ronaldo, Quaresma, Nani
Brazil - Kaka, Ronaldinho, Adriano, Ronaldo , Robinho, Daniel Alves
France - Henry, Ribery, Nasri, Saha
Argentina - Tevez, Messi, Aguero
Spain - Torres, Villa, Ramos, Cesc
Turkey - Nuri Sahin

Thanks in advance.

You can change the level.

I have it on top player, and I've just ran from defence to attack without a single player closing me down. They all run to the goalie. I shoot, I score. Six goals in five games. I'm gutted.

Surely thats evidence that its an earlier build because this hasn't been mentioned in any of the previews from TGS.

TGS videos

Surely thats evidence that its an earlier build because this hasn't been mentioned in any of the previews from TGS.
Yeah, I'm convinced it's an early build. There's some really weird bugs, the screen flashes for no reason occasionally.

I would be very suprised if the japanese version is that quick. I think that is the one major difference we will see between the two games.

I'm not goint to abuse you, but you have to admit; you've played a near finished version of Fifa, and only this demo for PES (which is probably similar to the Leipzig demo which people didn't like too much)

Fair play to you for saying you enjoyed the gameplay in PES 2008 though.

I think people shouldn't jump the gun yet, both FINAL versions will have their merits, although admittedly its as plain as anything that Fifa wins on gameplay modes and amount of improvements since last year's iterations*

*see I put my best word in at the end

Well I've played two more matches, and yes I enjoyed them, it's a fun game, but to me it's fun because it's simple, and easy and arcade (yes that "a" word that many cannot accept ;)) To me it isn't in any way realistic, in no way is it a simulation of football, but that doesn't have to be seen as a terrible thing for fans of PES to accept, I'm having fun with the demo, it's a nice distraction until I go to Malaysia, but this and Fifa just cannot compare for me :)

Edit: oh and there are huuuuuuuuuuge amounts of slowdown, stutter all over the place, every time the whistle blows it stutters, surely that can't be intended right?

I don't understand why companies release demo with the intention of giving people an insight only for the demo to be nothing like the retail version. Do they play the demo themselves before releasing it?

Oh and can anyone give me any example of this teamvision gubbins to look out for? The AI seems the same as the last PS2 version I played so no idea what I should be looking out for :(

Saw the youtube video that TG posted. Were there Adidas boots on the Leipzig demo?

Sloooooooooooooooooooooooow download!

Oh and can anyone give me any example of this teamvision gubbins to look out for? The AI seems the same as the last PS2 version I played so no idea what I should be looking out for :(

First Impressions: We go hands on with Seabass's 360 magnum opus

The big new feature for PES this year, is the much vaunted Teamvision which monitors your players' movements and forces you to adopt your strategy on-the-fly. Although a much more exhaustive play will be required to fully evaluate this major new development, the lads seemed to display more intelligent movement and passing.

It felt like Turkey were also forced to change their gameplan to cope with our more expansive carnival football, as they retreated down the pitch and tried to hit us on the break.

More scouting reports certainly required on this one, but it certainly seems as if Teamvision will result in a much more dynamic and responsive game.

Probably isn't in the demo to any great extent.

Saw the youtube video that TG posted. Were there Adidas boots on the Leipzig demo?
No. That would indicate it's a newer version.

In which case... Holy shit. I'm glad Han likes it and I'm glad if you like it, but personally... I'm winning every game on top-player, and I'm shit at games. They don't close you down. And the speed... And the glass pitch physics... I'm really shocked.

I actually prefer PES6, and I hated PES6. This can't be the final version, surely.

But whatever floats your boat!

No. That would indicate it's a newer version.

In which case... Holy shit. I'm glad Han likes it and I'm glad if you like it, but personally... I'm winning every game on top-player, and I'm shit at games. They don't close you down. And the speed... And the glass pitch physics... I'm really shocked.

I actually prefer PES6, and I hated PES6. This can't be the final version, surely.

But whatever floats your boat!

What this means is that no one is going to be dissappointed with the final game, it can only come as a pleasant surprise now after crappy showings at GC and with this new demo on Live.

First Impressions: We go hands on with Seabass's 360 magnum opus

The big new feature for PES this year, is the much vaunted Teamvision which monitors your players' movements and forces you to adopt your strategy on-the-fly. Although a much more exhaustive play will be required to fully evaluate this major new development, the lads seemed to display more intelligent movement and passing.

It felt like Turkey were also forced to change their gameplan to cope with our more expansive carnival football, as they retreated down the pitch and tried to hit us on the break.

More scouting reports certainly required on this one, but it certainly seems as if Teamvision will result in a much more dynamic and responsive game.

Probably isn't in the demo to any great extent.

Errr it's the only new feature of this version that's actually pertinent to the onfield game of football in this PES and it's not in the demo? That's really stupid :)

Does seem stupid but not really gonna tell a great deal from a 5 minute game are you?

Well from one half of a match in Fifa08 many of us have learned a vast amount of positive things (and yes some have learned that they really hate it which is their right), the Fifa demo shows a lot of things about the full game......

Well from one half of a match in Fifa08 many of us have learned a vast amount of positive things (and yes some have learned that they really hate it which is their right), the Fifa demo shows a lot of things about the full game......

Fair point, at the same time though recent previews have been very positive and people shouldn't forget that.

I agree, ive always understood the teamvision AI to be more about the ML with it adjusting the way it plays according to your previous matches. And a 5min friendly match will never show the true extent to the tactical level. As its a 2half demo, maybe someone can use the standard setup for the first half, and then radically change it for the second. If its ingame (instead of between games ala ML, as i was under the impression) then you should be able to see some difference.

If the Adidas boots are in the demo then it's the latest (and probably near final) build from TGS.

Guys i played the game and its awesome!
Better faces, better crowd, better nets, better grass, slower pace (yes not quicker for me), slower player turns and dribbles, hard to score in top player mode, bench people with coach, the ref whistles, you can hear players suffer from a challenge!

The game is miles better than the fifa08 demo i played. Fifa makes you tired and bored after 3-4 minutes. But pro2008 doesnt! And this is not arcade, this is football...

I agree, ive always understood the teamvision AI to be more about the ML with it adjusting the way it plays according to your previous matches. And a 5min friendly match will never show the true extent to the tactical level. As its a 2half demo, maybe someone can use the standard setup for the first half, and then radically change it for the second. If its ingame (instead of between games ala ML, as i was under the impression) then you should be able to see some difference.

Well in 4 mins of the Fifa demo we've seen adaptive AI, everything from covering positions when players move out of their own position, wingers swapping over, changes of attack/defense if the AI is 1 up or 1 down, etc. etc.

Thats it. After playing fifa i tried pes demo. WTF? this is so called nextgen PES? You gotta be kidding me. It fells VERY VERY scripted especially when you pass. Animations are no where near next gen as well. It fells like robots are playing not humans. Its way easy to score, even on top player mode ... there is no defense whatsoever.Graphics are the same as in PES6 and game pace is way to fast for my liking.

And this comes from PES fan.

Last edited:

Playstation Official Magazine are reviewing the game now and I should get mine in the post before the release date which I think is the 26th.

Ive heard the keepers are crap and i dont like to hear that the keepers are crap.

No seriously.

Well in 4 mins of the Fifa demo we've seen adaptive AI, everything from covering positions when players move out of their own position, wingers swapping over, changes of attack/defense if the AI is 1 up or 1 down, etc. etc.

Yeah i know, but this is a konami game we are talking about, so much of what they say is bullshit. The second half option is a good test i think, the more cynical among us think the teamvision name is just a name to make it sound like they have done something.

But if its the more longterm ai, which i thought it was, then you wouldnt see it in a single match as it, supposedly, learns from your previous games.

Either way i dont think its on par with fifa, even before playing the demo. Oh and i only just recently "got" your Neo sig. Game? yes! Simulation? Hell No!

On the Francophone website WEarePES, all think it's PES6 in the first look and after see all details, great gameplay and now all enjoy really the game.

exemple this great review from BlinkGT (in French)

Bon alors, je viens de tester PES 2008.

Ce que tout l'monde attendait de cette version 360, c'est surtout une claque graphique et des animations bandantes par rapport à la version 360 de PES6 qu'était loin d'être transcendante, on avait été déçu à l'époque pour le premier opus sur console next-gen. Un contenu bâclé, une animation limite, une vitesse supra-lente, une fluidité hâchée, toutes ces déceptions qui ont fait que PES6 était sûrement l'un des Pro Evo les moins réussis depuis le 1er. Même si cela nous a pas empêché de prendre énormément de plaisir dessus grâce à un gameplay aux oignons.

En lançant la démo de PES 2008, la première question que je me suis posée était de savoir si les devs de Konami s'étaient enfin sorti les doigts de l'arrière-train pour nous pondre un PES digne de la série.

A première vue, ils l'ont fait pour les menus. On a enfin le droit à un habillage kitsch propre aux jeux next-gen, des menus clairs et une musique entraînante. On a le choix entre 6 équipes nationales (France, Brésil, Espagne, Argentine, Portugal, Turquie), toutes les difficultés de jeu et 2 mi-temps complètes. Contrairement à Fifa 08, on a le droit à un bon gros match complet, sans être frustré de quitter le jeu au bout de 45 mn, et sans avoir cette impression de démission Mourinho style. Messieurs de chez EA, un match de foot dure 90 minutes, hein.

Je décide donc de faire dans l'originalité et de lancer un bon vieux France-Brésil des familles, en décidant de titulariser Anelka à la place de Saha alias l'homme en toncar.
Après un temps de chargement beaucoup moins bandant que celui d'la concurrence, ma première impression arrive : mais merde là, c'est à PES6 que je joue ou quoi ? Ils ont osé se foutre de notre gueule une année de plus ? Car franchement, à première vue, quasiment aucune différence graphique par rapport à l'opus précédent. Je décide donc d'aller faire un tour dans le menu ralenti dès le coup d'envoi pour voir ce qu'il en est au niveau de la modélisation des visages. Et là, gros soulagement, c'est magnifique. Tous les joueurs de l'EDF sont très bien modélisés, sauf peut-être Sagnol qui doit pas avoir beaucoup d'amis du côté de la firme japonaise tant ces derniers donnent l'impression de lui filer une tête de lemming chaque année.
Mais le plus impressionant se trouve du côté brésilien avec un Kaka parfaitement modélisé, un étron de très grande qualité, on s'approche du photo-réalisme. Que dire de Robinho, Silva et toute la clique, du grand art, rien à voir avec les tronches d'ET des joueurs EA bouffés par un éclairage abusé.
Un PES6 de loin donc, mais un vrai PES 2008 de près, ça fait toujours plaisir.

Au niveau de l'animation, très peu de différence avec PES6 en ce qui concerne les cut-scenes. J'ai eu le malheur de marquer un but avec Henry et d'avoir le droit à sa légendaire démonstration de joie à la Fowler, mais après avoir sniffé le rail de coke (les PESeux sauront de quoi j'parle).
Mais le bond en avant se trouve au niveau de l'animation ingame, avec des gestes d'application des joueurs à chaque passe/tir, des plats du pied marqués, des passes en rupture, un joueur qui arrête le ballon pour tirer son CF, les animations sont propres à chaque joueur (la démarche boiteuse d'Abidal, les petits pas rapides de C.Ronaldo, etc...), etc...C'est pas révolutionnaire, mais ces petits ajouts donnent vraiment une impression de réalisme en plein jeu, et c'est ce qu'on demande à PES.

Mais le véritable atout des PES, ce qui fait qu'il reste LE jeu de foot des amoureux du ballon rond, c'est le gameplay. Et c'est là que se situe la grosse différence par rapport à PES6.
Le jeu est beaucoup plus rapide que son prédecesseur, les passes s'enchainent très vite, les une-deux sont instincifs, les transversales prennent enfin la largeur du terrain, il faut millimiétrer les passes en profondeur, et les attaquants peuvent enfin frapper direct au but quand on leur demande, sans contrôler le ballon.
Mais ce qui m'a le plus plu, c'est la liberté de jeu exceptionnelle : fini les joueurs sur les rails, fini les joueurs attirés par le ballon, on fait c'qu'on veut d'notre équipe. En l'espace de 3 matchs j'ai pu faire des actions littéralement bandantes à une touche de balle, avec des joueurs qui frappent le ballon quand tu leur demandes, des frappes au but convaincantes à condition d'être bien démarqué, des contacts réalistes dont la violence se fait ressentir par les cris des joueurs et le bruit des chocs lors des duels musclés.
La physique de la balle est comme toujours excellente, le poids du cuir se fait bien ressentir, le ballon est complètement détaché des pieds des joueurs.

J'suis vraiment comblé par le gameplay de ce PES 2008, les matchs sur le Live s'annoncent énormes, tout comme ceux en solo même si j'ai pas eu l'temps de voir comment réagissait l'IA à chaque action, notamment le nouveau système TeamVision. Même si pour le moment ça m'a l'air d'être du tout bon, surtout au niveau des déplacements/appels de balle des coéquipiers, les possibilités de passes sont nombreuses. L'impression de fluidité du jeu est énorme, du gros travail à ce niveau cette année de la part de Konami.

PES restera à mon avis LE jeu de foot de cette fin d'année, rien qu'au niveau du gameplay il démonte littéralement Fifa, même si ce dernier n'est pas mauvais. Tu rajoutes à ça un mode edit complet, les nouvelles licences, le Live (1vs1 malheureusement), ça fait un PES à acheter pour tous les fans de la série. J'avais quelques appréhensions dernièrement quant à la qualité de ce PES 2008 mais là j'suis vraiment soulagé.

RDV sur le Live !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom