WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread (Last Update 08/25/07)

Ace Consciousness has recieved an infraction for offensive posting. Lets move on and stop commenting/quoting his post.

If anyone wants any other shakeycam vids cleaning up let me know it's a piece of piss to do :)

no they wont ... they are testing online mode at the moment, after that it goes gold maybe and will be released in october, not september ;)

release date october

but which day ? that is the question

like i said, many shops/stores in germany say 16th october ... also ThomasGoal said largest store in France or so (most famous videogames store in France maybe, dont know) say 16th october!!! of course i wouldnt say its official date for release now ... we will see

Last edited:

I bet they are not waiting for transfers' deadline and development still is a month away to completion...

I would like to comment on my main concern when watching the videos posted on WENB and here, maybe some of you who attended to Leipzig may clarify on this..: There is something about the gameplay that just doesn't fit, and It's that the ball seems to be "on rails" when it is passed to the different teammates. Might be a problem related to video quality, but It seems as if It was a bowling ball travelling over a perfectly flat, wooden surface.

However I have read on an spanish site that published a preview on Aug. 21st, that the ball indeed rolls better and even bounces slightly when dribbling to reflect grass imperfections...

Can anyone here comment on this?

It was also interesting to read on that site that the input lag on the 360 has been removed and there is much more responsiveness... Again, any comments?

Another thing I have liked very much, is that the ball doesn't seem to have a preassigned target like on previous versions, I mean you can see the ball bouncing freely and away from any nearby player's trajectory in the vids. There is even a badly controlled pass that bounces away from the player (brazilian human), and the ball is not "glued" to the player... This a great improvement to gameplay IMO. In PES6, you could loose the ball in the same way, but It was all an animation you were watching.

I bet they are not waiting for transfers' deadline and development still is a month away to completion...

I bet you are right. Most of the major transfer business is done*, any players moving before Friday could be easily edited by
players or updated online.

I've popped Adam an email, or maybe he'll come on here but hopefully PES releases a little bit earlier this year, given the, AHEM cough, competition...

*Unless Mr Abramovich decides to spend £85 Million on Ronaldinho!

I would like to comment on my main concern when watching the videos posted on WENB and here, maybe some of you who attended to Leipzig may clarify on this..: There is something about the gameplay that just doesn't fit, and It's that the ball seems to be "on rails" when it is passed to the different teammates. Might be a problem related to video quality, but It seems as if It was a bowling ball travelling over a perfectly flat, wooden surface.

However I have read on an spanish site that published a preview on Aug. 21st, that the ball indeed rolls better and even bounces slightly when dribbling to reflect grass imperfections...

It was also interesting to read on that site that the input lag on the 360 has been removed and there is much more responsiveness... Again, any comments?

Another thing I have liked very much, is that the ball doesn't seem to have a preassigned target like on previous versions, I mean you can see the ball bouncing freely and away from any nearby player's trajectory in the vids. There is even a badly controlled pass that bounces away from the player (brazilian human), and the ball is not "glued" to the player... This a great improvement to gameplay IMO. In PES6, you could loose the ball in the same way, but It was all an animation you were watching.

yes i played it @gc and i have to admit that the ball "runs weird" when its passed to teammates, like you said it feels like the ball is on rails ... but i think this demo is an early version, there will be changes (like Adonis said, they played a better version @press centre)

Last edited:

yes i played it @gc and i have to admit that the ball "runs weird" when its passed to teammates, like you said it feels like the ball is on rails

Damn rails!
Why Konami doesnt remove it once at all?! :spid:

guys, just wanted to know.... will pes 2008 run at 1080p on ps3 and/or 360??? thinking of going out and buying a new 46" full hd samsung today...

guys, just wanted to know.... will pes 2008 run at 1080p on ps3 and/or 360??? thinking of going out and buying a new 46" full hd samsung today...

You lucky bugger! I have a lovely Samsung 40-incher but it only takes 1080i, but then again most games up until now only manage 720. I think (I am not 100% certain) that the PS3/360 version will be 720 too. But don't qoute me on that.

PES6 also had that passing behavior. The ball is struck so that it is rolling completely flat against the surface without any big bounces.

PES5 had a much more bouncy ball when passing.

Basically, KOANMI seems to have designed 2 separate behaviors for passing.

Long range: The ball will get some air when struck (leaves the ground), and then bounces a few times at it travels.

Short range: The ball will be played rolling on the ground, and it will not get any bouncing at all (with the exception of a "bump simulation" which basically makes the ball jitter up and down irregularily on the ground, without "bouncing" in the true sense.

In my video here you can see this "Short Pass Bouncing": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVk28_cY9b0

The problem is that, with PES6 and also PES2008 it seems, KONAMI changed the distances for when a pass is considered short-range and long-range.

In PES5, you had players strike "short-range" type passes (no bouncing) when they were quite close to eachother and the distance the pass was to travel was not longer than 8-12m (~30ft).

With PES6, they suddenly made the short-pass behavior (no bouncing, only the poorly programmed "jittering") also apply to very long passes, like 25+ meters. This makes for some very weird looking passes as you say, since in real-life, when the ball is struck that hard, it will almost definately get some amount air-time no matter how you strike it (when you strike the ball looser, the ball's own weight will be more influential than when you apply more power.

It does resemble a bowling strike when you watch it from a long distance (where you can't see the textures of the ball rotating to indicate that it is rolling on the ground, so it sort of looks like it is sliding or hovering along the ground completely flat against the surface, sort of lifeless.

I thought PES5 was great with the way passes bounced and behaved. PES6 I hated because of the passing among things.

Last edited:

A flat screen big tv is starting to look pretty tasty but the whole HD/full HD/HD ready thing drives my mental. Aren't all TV's HD ready? They can display it, at least. And an SD TV-signal looks like a sheeps carcass on an HD tv.

Last edited:

A flat screen big tv is starting to look pretty tasty but the whole HD/full HD/HD ready thing drives my mental. Aren't all TV's HD ready? They can display it, at least. And an SD TV-signal looks like a sheeps carcass on an HD tv.

All new HDTVs are 'HD ready'.

'HD ready' which means they can take a HD signal via HDMI or component and display it at 720p. The more expensive you get, the bigger the display resolution becomes (720p->1080i->1080p). The best HDTV display 1080p (real HD).

All HDTV can display a SD-TV signal, which looks abit poo... but alot of this is down to SDTV MPEGing, when tv signals went digital they downgraded the quality of the picture. You'l notice this more on non-mainstream sky channels. With the drop in quality, they can fit another phone in bet channel in the bandwidth.

My TV only does 1080i (blu-ray is 1080p) and its rear projection. I have to replace the bulb every few years but I dont get screen burn. Plasmas and lcds get screen burn and fade, but you dont replace parts, just the whole thing but they last longer.

PS2 can do hi-res with some games, mainly US and japanese as HD seems to get taken out of pal releases. PS3 will scale and filter all your PS2 games to hi-res... they look great.

Last edited:

To be classified as a HD-Ready TV the TV needs to be able to display SD - 720p - 1080i. To be classified as a Full HD tv the tv needs to be able to display all of the previous resolutions as well as 1080p. Full HD.

Ace Consciousness has recieved an infraction for offensive posting. Lets move on and stop commenting/quoting his post.

Well done. That was the dumbest post I have read yet. To call Singapore 3rd world just shows how completely retarded some people are and also points out the poor secondary education system in the United States! :applause:\\:o/:lol:

Bilal, thanks for repeating his comment then, and adding a random insult of your own.

btw, "full HD" is a bullshit invention of marketing people to get people to replace their TVs, (yet again), I have a 1080i LCD which is just brilliant, and won't be upgrading for at least 5-6 years, unless they bring in 3D telly?! Besides, unless your screen is bigger than 46 inches, you can't even notice the difference between 1080 i and p.

Thanks for "sort of" clearing that up for me, Black Sheep and Mumpleaser(?!). It's really off topic, but if anyone could recommend me a good PS3 HD TV which won't get me bankrupt it would be much appreciated.

btw, "full HD" is a bullshit invention of marketing people to get people to replace their TVs, (yet again), I have a 1080i LCD which is just brilliant, and won't be upgrading for at least 5-6 years, unless they bring in 3D telly?! Besides, unless your screen is bigger than 46 inches, you can't even notice the difference between 1080 i and p.

'HD ready' was the marketing term to get rid of the "HD" TVs that couldnt do real HD as it was meant to be. They needed to make millions of 720p tv in order to push the price down for 1080 plasmas, so 'hdready' was born and the masses followed and purchased 720 hd ready tv in droves.... they are now finding out 1080p was the original real deal, so 'Full HD' is just a term that doesnt include the halfway house that is 720.

Your right tho, 1080i and 1080p cant hardly be told apart.

If anyone is gettig a HDTV, look for contrast ratio (the more the better), inputs (HDMI, pref more than one) and resolution (1080).

It should be noted that game developers loose a massive amount of memory making games in 1080. Dont be shocked that most games stay in 720.

@ISSLANDER: A HDTV bargain if your in europe is Sony KDS-55A2000, altho this has been discontinued in the UK. Despite being rear projection (about a foot thick) it puts out an amazing picture and can be had for about a grand, actually seen it for £600 at one point. Actually if anyone knows if this can be had cheap on the continent, this tv really rocks.

Last edited:

Disturbing news from WENB:

"Bitter Sweet PES 2008 News

I received confirmation today of information that I had known about for a few days now. It is disappointing for the fans but something I am sure will be rectified next season. PES 2008 will only play as 1 vs. 1 online. Although most fans were hoping for at least a 2 vs. 2 online mode, unfortunately we will probably have to wait until next year for that feature. EA Sports is flaunting FIFA '08's massive online play capabilities that are sure to make it a hit but I believe that Konami will get it right for next year.

On a brighter note, Konami has the exclusive rights to some Swedish clubs that will be filled with place-holders in FIFA '08!!! Shock, Gasp, Horror! FIFA missing out on licenses?! How could this be? Well it seems that the guys at Konami are starting to pull of some shrewd licensing deals that will give EA a taste of their own medicine. C'mon Konami, start saving the pennies for that exclusive Premiership deal in 2010!"

Makes me annoyed that I won't be able to join forces with my brother in England but it's not the end of the world.

Bilal, thanks for repeating his comment then, and adding a random insult of your own.

sorry to continue the offtopic:
i->interlaced: every second line is missing per frame. first frame lines 1,3,5 are shown, second frame 2,4,6 are shown.
p->progressive: full frames are displayed.

as LCD/Plasma TVs don't have lines, they show full frames. Missing lines have to be interpolated ("de-interlaced"). builtin de-interlacers are to slow (when using fast moving material, e.g. games) to calculate the missing lines. sometimes you get some kind of tearing.
-> you get a better picture on LCDs/Plasmas when using a progressive signal. I prefer 720p to 1080i. Most games stiil use 720p, do not support 1080p (more pixels need to be calculated, same problem as running a PC game in HighRes)

1080p/24 ("Full HD") -> important to play BlueRay/HD-DVD in top quality
Problem:
NTSC uses 30(60)fps/interlaced (60Hz)
PAL uses 25(50)fps/interlaced (50Hz)
Movies are recorded with 24fps. What can be done to fit a movie in the different formats?
PAL:
a movie is shown with 25fps. that means it runs faster.
NTSC:
3/2 pulldown: the first frame is shown 2*, the second one 3*, the third 2*, and so on.
1 sec movie has 24 frames ("pictures"). 12 frames are shown 2* -> 24 frames, 12 frames are shown 3* -> 36 -> now we have 60 frames (which is 2*30)
-> when you convert a 24 frame movie into a 60Hz NTSC signal, you'll get some kind of stuttering.
So with a 1080p/24 TV/player you can watch a movie without speeding up(PAL) or 3/2 pull down/stuttering (NTSC)

-> those TVs are still too expensive and there are yet too mush bottlenecks (A/V Receiver has to support 1080p/24, disks have to support 1080p, ...)

Hope this helps

Any more news on the kit editing yet?
Or any pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom