WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread (Last Update 08/25/07)

Earth shatteringly deep discussion by you there, almost as wonderful as "PES is god's gift to games end of story".......

PES looks and feels like real football? Not a chance, Fifa looks, feels and sounds like real football. PES looks and feels like an arcade version of football, not that there's anything wrong with that for a quick blast but there's little depth to the game, certainly not in terms of career mode/ML.

Why are you here? Isn't there a FIFA thread for you somewhere?

.. and who cares if its like pes6. Pes6 on ps2 was actually a great game, minus some of the so called cheating some of you constantly bring up. Further, it was enhanced with the next 2 versions, we10jl and then jlwe2007cc.. and there's little doubt that this new pes2008 will be a similar game with the addition of national teams, not to mention a few minor fixes. A pes6.1 is better than a totally revamped and possibly fked up all-new pes etc.. People say the pes/we engine is all too old and washed up etc, yet its still the best engine to date.. .. no.. no.. its the best engine to date..

I do agree that there are a few mistakes konami make in regards to new versions, eg leaving things out, or making things worse..but they can easily go back n fix em, cause they havnt changed things too much or gone too far..
.. but Im still in favour of konami doing the slight fixes every year, and building upon a great game.. stick with the winning formula if u ask me as long as they make a better version each year, im happy...

we7int was my fav.. and infact i wasnt a fan of we8 (and the pes versions surrounding that one), but looking back now, no version is better than jlwe2007cc,and pes2008 should be an improved version of this.. so why people are all so negative astounds me..

it seems that you are a little fan of this jlwecc07 ... i forgot to mention that i only play multiplayer (online, many offline tournaments etc)

maybe you understand that not all of us want to play that pes6 again (with slight improvement) ... last year there was a huge difference between pes6-demo on ps2 (!!!) @gc and fully version of pes6 (yes you wont believe me, but they changed the gameplay to fully version, seemed that the demo was very old), hope for all "only ps2-users" this will happen again (maybe doesnt regard you aussiepesfan :))

Last edited:

Earth shatteringly deep discussion by you there, almost as wonderful as "PES is god's gift to games end of story".......

PES looks and feels like real football? Not a chance, Fifa looks, feels and sounds like real football. PES looks and feels like an arcade version of football, not that there's anything wrong with that for a quick blast but there's little depth to the game, certainly not in terms of career mode/ML.

We all have different views how real football is played i guess. For me, i think we/pes plays and looks like real football. The most recent fifa08 demo footage of germany v england looked great for the part (player movement especially off the ball), but the critical thing in any football game is ..yes.. the movement of the football. WE/PES is the only game ive played that does this well. There is still something not right about the 'ball on a string' movement of fifa. It just doesnt feel like real football.. it looks ok for the part, but then u soon see the cracks appear...

I think if u had a world wide poll on what the best soccer 'simulation' is.. itd be konami's efforts..

and little depth..hahah what version u been playing.. well its your opinion, but yeah what ever floats your boat i suppose... just as long as im not one of the mates you forcefeed fifa too..

Last edited:

The thing that always sets PES way above FIFA for me is the feel of the game. It is not the scoring of goals or the tricks or any of that stuff. It's just that passing the ball is a pleasure in itself. You feel the player kick the ball, you feel the next player receive the ball.

FIFA has always been totally lacking in that area. You cannot feel the ball in any way whatsoever. The ball and the players just float around in a meaningless mess that provides no form of satisfaction for the player at all.

And the people that are saying that FIFA is graphically better I really can't see what is 'better'. The player models are so bad it's frightening. They don't look like real people and are in my opinion not any where near as lifelike as their PES counterparts.

If FIFA08 is better than PES2008 I will buy it and that will be that. But I am almost 100% sure that won't happen.

I've said this a few times, I'll say it again. I'd like to get every whiny "PES is arcade, doesn't feel like Football, FIFA08 will rock" guy in here into a room with a copy os PES6 and play against them all. I bet many of you suck at it. And you can't even perceive it. That's why you don't like PES. Thats why you can't understand why most of us here say that PES feels right, feels like football. You don't understand that which you do not master.
Actually I think id be alright at PES6 against you. So not really a fair test that would show im crap at a game.

If it was for the scripting in the CPU's favour, the awful collision detection and the Dodgy AI Cheating then yes PES would feel closer to real football than FIFA currently does with 07... but whats to say FIFA 08 wont be more realistic this year? Nothing....

Why are you here? Isn't there a FIFA thread for you somewhere?

I'm here for the same reason I came here four years ago, to discuss PES/WE.

Are you trying to make out that the fact that (right now on the evidence available), I believe Fifa 08 will be superior to PES2008 in the areas that are relevant to me, I somehow don't have the right to converse in PES threads anymore? :lmao:

and little depth..hahah what version u been playing..

What version? Hmm let me see now, ISS on PS1, PES 1, PES 2, PES 3, PES 4 and PES 5 on PS2 and I believe all the WE's since WE 6

And no there is little depth in PES/WE when it comes to playing singleplayer in the master league (which is the only mode I have any interest in playing).

I've said this a few times, I'll say it again. I'd like to get every whiny "PES is arcade, doesn't feel like Football, FIFA08 will rock" guy in here into a room with a copy os PES6 and play against them all. I bet many of you suck at it. And you can't even perceive it. That's why you don't like PES. Thats why you can't understand why most of us here say that PES feels right, feels like football. You don't understand that which you do not master.

Man you'r seriously pissed off :mrgreen::mrgreen:

it seems that you are a little fan of this jlwecc07 ... i forgot to mention that i only play multiplayer (online, many offline tournaments etc)

maybe you understand that not all of us want to play that pes6 again (with slight improvement) ... last year there was a huge difference between pes6-demo on ps2 (!!!) @gc and fully version of pes6 (yes you wont believe me, but they changed the gameplay to fully version, seemed that the demo was very old), hope for all "only ps2-users" this will happen again (maybe doesnt regard you aussiepesfan :))

hahah yes.. a big fan of jlwe2007cc.. but thats only cause its konami's best effort to this day :) and for me the best football sim out there..
And yeah i dont play online, i just play multiplayer, and masterleague or friendlies.. but yeah, my point was that pes2008 should be as good if not better than jlwe2007cc...

I'm here for the same reason I came here four years ago, to discuss PES/WE.

Are you trying to make out that the fact that (right now on the evidence available), I believe Fifa 08 will be superior to PES2008 in the areas that are relevant to me, I somehow don't have the right to converse in PES threads anymore? :lmao:

What version? Hmm let me see now, ISS on PS1, PES 1, PES 2, PES 3, PES 4 and PES 5 on PS2 and I believe all the WE's since WE 6

And no there is little depth in PES/WE when it comes to playing singleplayer in the master league (which is the only mode I have any interest in playing).

hmmm depth?? i guess we are talking about different things..
i think youre refering to longitivity (how long before you get bored).. since you refer to certain modes. Im talking about in-game depth, eg football gameplay..
There is so much to this game, and no match is the same. There is so much variety in this game that i guess that in itself increases longitivity..

This thread is really painfull.

Its full of Fifa fans saying how great Fifa is. Please! There is a whole Fifa thread, just to talk about how good or bad Fifa. There is also the Fifa VS PES thread to compare the two....

But no, people continually post how on the next-gen PES thread that Fifa 'feels' better without playing it, on a PES2008 thread, this is just ridiculous.

Despite its flaws, PES6 and especially its later improvements in 2007JL and 2007CC is still the best playing football game on the market today.

Despite PES2008 commiting the henious crime of looking like PES6, it still won best game at GC2007, best game includes best football game, despite the looks.

Last edited:

This thread is really painfull.

Its full of Fifa fan boys saying how great Fifa is. Please! There is a whole Fifa thread, just to talk about how good or bad Fifa. There is also the Fifa VS PES thread to compare the two....

But no, people continually post how on the next-gen PES thread that Fifa 'feels' better without playing it, on a PES2008 thread, this is just ridiculous.

Despite its flaws, PES6 and especially its later improvements in 2007JL and 2007CC is still the best playing football game on the market today.

Despite PES2008 commiting the henious crime of looking like PES6, it still won best game at GC2007, best game includes best football game.

I totally agree with most of the end part of your message. I dont mind the fifa talk though, even though there is a comparison thread. It keeps things interesting.. and besided ive always wondered and been interested in why certain people love fifa and what they see in the game - whilst ive hated all that fifa has produced to date, and continue being a seabass fanboy ;)
What i cant understand is that so many people here diss seabass, yet he's the one who has given us the best videgaming football experience to date..

Cant we all just get along? :)

hmmm depth?? i guess we are talking about different things..
i think youre refering to longitivity (how long before you get bored).. since you refer to certain modes. Im talking about in-game depth, eg football gameplay..
There is so much to this game, and no match is the same. There is so much variety in this game that i guess that in itself increases longitivity..

No I'm talking about depth, depth is what a game requires (for me) to have longevity, PES' ML lacks depth and thus lacks longevity.

In the ML I can get promoted once, win the cup, win the league title, win the 2 other cups, that's it, no job movement, lack of variety in teams faced due to lack of teams.....

In Fifa's career mode I can (if I choose) start as a League 2 team, get them promoted 3 times, win numerous cups, qualify for Europe, win European cups, then if I get bored of that I can bugger off to America, or Australia, or Mexico or Spain or any of the other leagues in the game.

If PES2008 had fantasia mode I'd be well up for that, that is a mode (from what it sounds) that has depth and longevity in spades, when PES has that again sign me up :)

THIS IS MADNESS!

SPARTA.jpg

:lol:

No I'm talking about depth, depth is what a game requires (for me) to have longevity, PES' ML lacks depth and thus lacks longevity.

In the ML I can get promoted once, win the cup, win the league title, win the 2 other cups, that's it, no job movement, lack of variety in teams faced due to lack of teams.....

In Fifa's career mode I can (if I choose) start as a League 2 team, get them promoted 3 times, win numerous cups, qualify for Europe, win European cups, then if I get bored of that I can bugger off to America, or Australia, or Mexico or Spain or any of the other leagues in the game.

If PES2008 had fantasia mode I'd be well up for that, that is a mode (from what it sounds) that has depth and longevity in spades, when PES has that again sign me up :)

oh ok.. i was looking at depth in terms of gameplay, but yeah, i do agree with you points on the other type of depth. ML structure of pes/we is its weak point and needs to be fixed. period.

oh ok.. i was looking at depth in terms of gameplay, but yeah, i do agree with you points on the other type of depth. ML structure of pes/we is its weak point and needs to be fixed. period.

I agree that the depth of gameplay is horrible.

THe feel of the game is good, I have to say. Just striking passes can be very rewarding feel-wise. There is proper emphasis in animations so you feel the player striking the ball and receiving it etc.

Problem is, that after 4 years of daily PES, I am sick and tired of just pressing the pass-button. I want to aim myself, I want to power it myself, I want to be responsible for alot more than just pressing a direction and then the pass-button. It is boring and doesn't take any skill on your part. The game handles way too much for you. It was fun for a surprisingly long time for me, but now it is just getting old.

If I can aim myself however, then it won't get old, because I am in charge of so many deep analog systems (aim, power) that it won't get repetitive. I want to feel good everytime I pull off a pass, and the only way that is going to happen is if I need skill to aim and power it properly.

That would be fun, a PES game where you can actually feel proud of playing 0-0 against Barca, just becuase you kept your concentration and managed to play a great passing-game to keep them from getting possession all the time.

After watching many videos of both games (I gave for the first time a great attention to FIFA 08 this year). I think I'll remain on PES.
On my first view of FIFA 08 I was really impressed by the Next Gen graphics, the animations and the great FIFA atmosphere.
But after watching good players playing on both. FIFA have their eternal poor AI and "deja vu" impressions when wathing 2 different games.
In PES2008, I saw lot of different phases during a same game. So I still can wait for next year true Next Gen version playing with a more "complete" PES6 because I love this game.
I play always with friends and online so I really don't care about how scripted is the CPU.
And when I see Human VS Human on both games you can clearly see that the AI is improved in PES which is not the case for FIFA.

For me FIFA 08 is the perfect game for the players who love playing career modes and Human vs CPU games with its licences.

FIFA will always be FIFA (with it's big graphics and animations improvments)
PES will always be PES (with it's minor improvments BUT LEGENDARY gameplay)

Forget it. ;)

I would at this point settle for analog aim for longpasses, but KONAMI might not even have implemented that.

Now that is one feature that doesn't require any gameplay alterations at all. All they need to do is so that the game understands where you are aiming with the analog stick, and sends the ball in that direction, rather than converting your analog stick input into one of only 8 directions.

They tried implementing 360 MOVEMENTS, which they apparantly weren't happy with (go figure, that isn't really a feature you can half-ass late in the process, you need to design turn-animations etc after it properly). But again, just making the aim analog doesn't require any changing basically, so if they don't get it done soon I am going to go apeshit.

Great shame... :puke:

On a your previous post I've been happy to read you allowed a light aftertouch hypothesis... :D
We had some posts on pesfan forum on this topic (remember?)
Happy to hear it.

Last edited:

We will be able too.... once the PES Fanboys stop coming into the FIFA thread ramming how SHIT FIFA is down our throats. And also when some people who just LOVE FIFA come in here and start a war.

We are all different, we all like different things... e.g. TG = 100% PS3 and 0% Xbox... me? if its possible im 33% PS3 20% Wii and 47% Xbox 360 :)

I like both games, they both give me something different. If someone doesnt like one of them then fine! So long as they post a good quality post about it I dont mind, a Flame war on the other hand is pathetic!

after the release of pes 2008 the next best thing to look forward to is cod4(my favorite shooter),and then going to newyear there is HOME , the virtual meetingplace for ps3 gamers.
I imagine in HOME there is a peshouse where the pesfans can have a chat or give there edited optionfiles for downloading.
it would not take long before virtual caracters with fifaliscensed T shirts apear on the scene to say what a lousy game pes is ,and praise there uberfifagame.
at that time i imagine the virtual caracters being able to perform as in a TEKKEN game,and kick the fifafanboys out of the peshouse.

What I really would like to see on the PS3 version of PES2008 is our edited kits etc being seen online. I mean I have a really good OF at the moment (PS2 PES6) that has all premier league kits/badges done but as soon as I go online the default OF kicks in and it looks awful again! I understand that the player stats and even liknesses need to be default online but surely the badges/flags/kits can be kept?

I don't mean that the person I am playing against should see my creations but I should be able to see it surely?

I agree when it comes to kits for sure! but obviously Stats should go back to default to stop the Lame Ass cheaters!

for me that is also what i want,but i think its good when your oponent doe not see your kit,or when letters are excluded.
there would be to many abusive or commercial tekst.
imagine fifafanboys with the the tekst on there shirt"pes sucks" or "buy fifa".

lol always diggin at FIFA players I see :) thats what starts wars!!

Anyways yes written on stuff could indeed cause a huge number of problems.

for me that is also what i want,but i think its good when your oponent doe not see your kit,or when letters are excluded.
there would be to many abusive or commercial tekst.
imagine fifafanboys with the the tekst on there shirt"pes sucks" or "buy fifa".
That would be really pathetic, and why are they playing PES 2008 then?

That would be really pathetic, and why are they playing PES 2008 then?
People who think like that will do a lot illogical things :)

If they can make it so that you allone can see your edited teams it will be a good solution... or make an option that you choose whether you can see the other guys kits or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom