WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread (Last Update 08/22/07)

I've seen all the videos and screens.

It looks OK. Not anything spectacular, but ok. The grass looks great from a distance, and the flow of the game is not bad. (Although in Fifa 08, both the pitch and the flow of the game seem YEARS AHEAD of PES2008)

The crowds look terrible in celebration cutscenes...etc. The crowd audio and atmosphere is terrible. The GAME IN MOTION IS VERY OVER-RATED. I just can't believe the number of contacts, magazine prevews and articles that kept saying, "You have to see the game in motion to believe it". All i saw was a slightly improved PES6 in-motion.

The angular "8-axis" look of the game is very annoying. It makes the entire game look current-gen in its movement. Fifa08 doesn't have 360 movement, but the AMAZING animations and player movement seems very life-like.

To sum up:

- Not enough time spent on a variety of normal animations.
- Hardly next-gen crowd audio and graphics.
- Dominant angular play.
- AI cheating (or trying to make game difficult in a wrong way) obvious with star players usually losing very easy chances.
- Too many cut passes.
- Good grass.
- Poor sounds (Ball passing, crowds, players...etc)

On the other hand:

- I am very impressed with Fifa's graphics, and player animations. The natural fluidity of movement involving the entire body... unbelievable. The selling point would be the gameplay. If it even approaches PES4's gameplay, that's it and I'm getting it.
- Also on Fifa08, the tricks require star players and analogue stick combos to pull off. They need proper timing and could be stopped anytime during the animation, and can be combined together. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. One complaint is they are very quick. I'd rather the animation was slightly slower; more beautiful and realistic.

The problem with Fifa is the way you score goals, and how the scored goals look. That's it. If they can fix that, then i guess no more WE/PES for me. My guess is -unfortunately- they won't.

BEST PES2008 GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE:
http://www.game1.nl/gamevideos/vide...Evolution-Soccer-2008---GC-2007-Gameplay.html

BEST FIFA08 GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE:
http://rapidshare.de/files/37861132/Fifa08.zip

I guess I'll have to admit that the way PES progresses is similar to that of a poor family-funded company. I'm really not 100% sure WE/PES will be the best game this year.

And no more "contact talk" for me. I've seen the game in motion, and I CAN believe it.

Last word: If the PC version of PES2008 looks anything like the Xbox360, I'm updating my hardware and getting the game.

whats the rar password for the fifa vid?

i bet seabass did not go to leipzig becoz he would be ashamed of his own game :p lol and he said that he is not going coz '' he wants to complete the game '' :D

I bet the dude did turn up, then crawled away in shame

I, like most people am not overly impressed with the videos, but I don't think FIFA is a viable alternative gameplay-wise yet.
I don't play football games in single-player so maybe I wouln't feel this way if I did.
But having played all the FIFA and PES games in multiplayer up to this point FIFA needs to improve by a distance not possible in just one year imo.

jonestm we will see mate, I seriously think EA are making the right noises this time around. I am not a fanboy of either game and I as a consumer and games player want the best that EITHER developer can come up with.... Hell ill even buy both games as I have started doing Since FIFA 06...

lol perhaps he could re-startup Anco... the guys behind Kick Off? Kick Off Evolution Soccer.... its good honest! and Next Gen!

I am a bit disappointed about Konami's "presentation".
Just see what EA does. That is really a presentation.
I remember that Konami and the people with the beta has/had a NDA, but where was that for? We expected them to announce something we were not allowed to know, but the only thing they said was that Konami will make a Wii version. I don't expect any announcements anymore because that should have been made at the press-day. Only thing people can do is ask smart questions at the Konami-representatives who are daily at 4 PM at the PES stand.
I think most questions will be answered with "I don't know "...

Last edited:

djdoc, EA always make the right noises, but yes, we will see.
I, also, am no fanboy.

where are the wenb guys? haven't updated the blog for quite a while now
getting impatient, need news and vids.

Seabass has a small team, they got alot more work done when the game was PlayStation exclusive.

I think taking PES multiformat has damaged the progress of the series.

lol perhaps he could re-startup Anco... the guys behind Kick Off? Kick Off Evolution Soccer.... its good honest! and Next Gen!

Keep Seabass far from Kick Off or he give us an update! ;)

nothing wrong with looking and playing like pes 6,its a great game.
there is always evolution in the pes series,but it never destroys the great gameplay,bad commentary they changed it,the nets also,shirt can be untucked.
i hope seabass never leaves the d-pad control,if it aint broken dont fix it.
i want evolution not revolution.

and with all the extra revenue he couldnt add a few staff?

Also just noticed the feature of big no black loading screen at throw ins etc. They are there after all but it still resets players potisions. So players just magically appear.

where are the wenb guys? haven't updated the blog for quite a while now
getting impatient, need news and vids.

you wont get any news about the game (we dont know yet) @GC Leipzig

there is only a playable demo-version, thats it ;) maybe some new vids from wenb or other guys, nothing more

Last edited:

thats true alster.

We know nothing more about ml and online features. We just have a running demo and no news. Thats piss poor.

I always think Konami manage in a very poor way Communications issues...

Why are there soo many fucking fan boys on here ? How can people talk about graphics when we haven't seen the game in proper HD ? We've seen a game @ %75 FFS, it's not like i is 90%, then we could react like how half the people are on here.

Not being funny but everybody said the same last year when footage was first shown for PES6 on 360. HD footage is not gonna make a huge difference. some people need to just accept the graphics are not the leap forward we was all hoping it would be.

the grafics and animtaions looks better but the gameplay is the same shit!

In 07 i hated to score a goal cause it allways felt scripted and the same.The passes,shoots,crosses....are all scripted.

Another thing that i hate in fifa is the there are no difference between the player stats. In PES you can run with Martins or Henry and you feel his speed and acceleration in compare to viduka who have more body balance. In fifa i feel no difference between Henry and Trezegeut. I dont feel the better technic(Zidane) of a player or the better (long) pass ability and so on....

...and the videos shows me the same game like fifa 2005-2007. It looks great but dont have a realistic gameplayfeeling.

so when you were feeling that great speed with henry or martins, were you also feeling those cheating ai bastards coming right back at you, and nibbling at you???

this was my main gripe, its why im looking so forward to fifa, just the fact that when you beat a defender, he's beaten, it IS possible to feel speed with henry or martins, not like in pro evo 6 where the catchup bias is the biggest joke ever.

in my opinion you got that completely wrong. you feel no speed whatsoever on pro evo 6, if you break clear with henry, your gonna be caught, no matter who the defender is!

roll on monday!

Off-topic, the most frustrating game I've ever played (with PES's ML a close second, which caused the demolition of two pads) is Virtua Tennis 3 on the 360.

This is absolutely true, I played Nathan Blake in the first round of a tournament, first to four sets wins. I went three sets up, nice and easy, could have done it blindfolded, then all of a sudden he starts hitting balls like a cannon shoots cannonballs. BANG, 3-1. BANG, 3-2. BANG, 3-3. Didn't stand a fucking chance, talk about rubber-band AI. And as if to demonstrate that to the letter of the word, in the final set, every single time I scored he scored. 15-0. 15-15. 30-15. 30-30. 40-30. Deuce.

It continued into the deuce - advantage me, deuce, advantage me, deuce - until FIFTEEN deuces later, he got the advantage, and then powered the ball past me. 40 minutes of my life wasted.

I thought to myself, if I keep this anger inside me, I'm going to get cancer. So I picked up a few blank CDs and smashed them to smithereens. And I've not played the game since.

i have this game, maybe yours is harder coz you have this guy nathan blake in yours?????

in mine i have james blake, and can beat him easily without him scoring a point, on hardest difficulty.

this is probably the biggest game i have ever seen in terms of learning curve. i hated it so badly when i first played it, it took me two weeks, then i loved it, i had to go back onto the official xbox forums, and take back all my this game is garbage posts, lol.!

I would remember to some people that PES IS gameplay (above all).
So, the core of the evolution would be placed on gameplay not on untucked shirts or the whistle's referee.

Probably is evolving gameplay too much difficult?

yeah i think news regarding new features will be presented next month at the tokyo games event as it is much closer to the release date of the game.

:lmao:

I can tell you this, i'm not a fan boy. I'm not going around saying FIFA is shit or PES is shit ect. Do you expect the game to devolop from 0% too 25% ? 25% to 50% ? 50% to 75% ? I can tell you for free that I do. So i'm expecting things to be sorted out from 75% to 100%. I never said rapidly change, people are going on like the graphics look like something from the PS2, where as it doesn't just needs to be sharpened and fine tuned. And the other day I was bored so I played the demo and then played the complete version of PES6. There are diffrences, you will notice them and demo's are at what ? 90 % ? 95 %? So if change can happen from theer then change can happen from now untill the release of PES.

The point here is the game comes out in Oct, we are almost in Sept and the game is at 75%, how much time does that leave not much, the game we see WILL be the game that is released, I can only imagine that a few kits? music? faces? will be added nothing else.

I hope FIFA allows the goalkeeper to be sent off this year,
that has always annoyed me.

I would remember to some people that PES IS gameplay (above all).
So, the core of the evolution would be placed on gameplay not on untucked shirts or the whistle's referee.

Probably is evolving gameplay too much difficult?

Oh, so completely different shooting (balls no longer sky over the bar unless you're crap), tricks, players that make runs immediately after passing, teamvision AI, quicker direction change...

none of this is seen as a gameplay evolution to you?

Les aficionados de la série le savent bien : comme tous les grands crus, un Pro Evolution Soccer s'apprécie sur la durée, au moins les quelques mois nécessaires à sa maturation, à sa péremption parfois. D'affinage en affinage, les qualités et les limites de chaque nouvelle version ne sont pas forcément flagrantes, malgré les années de pratique. Autrement dit, il serait bien hasardeux d'oser un verdict en seulement quelques parties sur un stand pris d'assaut et une réalisation loin d'être bouclée (75% d'après l'écriteau), malgré une sortie toujours attendue pour mi-octobre. Voilà pourquoi il s'agira surtout de "sensations" sur cette mouture Next Gen, en croisant les doigts pour voir débarquer une version preview plus avancée dans les prochaines semaines. La santé mentale de la rédaction est à ce prix.

Cliquez sur l'image pour l'agrandir
Comme toute bonne réactualisation sportive, Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 se déclinera sur une multitude de plates-formes, de la PS3 à la DS, sans oublier la PS2, la Xbox 360, la DS ou le PC. Notre attention s'est évidemment portée sur la version nouvelle-génération, censée tirer parti de la présumée puissance des machines dernier cri. Censée, car il faut bien reconnaître au premier coup d'oeil que l'écart entre la simulation de Konami et les autres réactualisations du même type se fait de plus en plus sensible à chaque saison qui passe. La modélisation a pourtant gagné en XP depuis Pro Evolution Soccer 6 sur Xbox 360, du moins pour les stars des six équipes nationales réunies pour les besoins de la démo. Force est de concéder qu'un Carlos Tevez ou un Cristiano Ronaldo sont plus vrais que nature, l'un avec sa corpulence de bull-dog qui semble doubler son tour d'épaule, l'autre avec son élégance balle au pied qui attise toutes les passions.
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (X360)
Mais pour tout ce qui se rapporte au terrain, au public, et plus globalement aux détails graphiques ainsi qu'à la cohérence de l'ensemble, Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 semble perdre du terrain sur d'autres disciplines et même sur son concurrent direct. Les joueurs ont encore l'air de Playmobils perdus sur une pelouse, quand bien même les animations hyper-détaillées, la marque de PES, viendraient aussitôt nous rappeler où se portent les efforts tatillons des graphistes. Bien sûr, on peut toujours se contenter d'une nouvelle interface, bien moins discrète quelle que soit la version, peut-être pour satisfaire tous ceux qui n'auraient pas encore flambé pour une télé HD. Mais on ne pourra pas indéfiniment se contenter de détails, comme ce focus sur le banc de touche durant le jeu en pause, quand chaque nouveauté sort au prix fort.

La Bombonera

Evidemment, l'apport d'un PES évolué, se juge bien au-delà des banales considérations graphiques, et tant que le gameplay restera la référence en matière de foot, et plus généralement de sport virtuel, le succès et l'adoption des nouvelles versions sont assurés. La balise Achtung est de sortie, couleur locale, car la vérité de quelques matchs n'est jamais forcément la même que celle de douze saisons passées à peaufiner et affronter des formations calibrées à la zone de pressing près. L'apprentissage douloureux de la défense à la mode PES 6 nous l'a trop rappelé. Les sensations, manette en main, sont pourtant bonnes, évidemment familières, mais assez prometteuses dans l'ensemble. Les animations des joueurs sont devenues plus amples, notamment dans leurs courses, plus marquées, comme si les crampons mordaient vraiment la pelouse. Les déplacements plus soudains laissent deviner des dribbles encore plus tranchants. Plus globalement, le jeu a gagné en souplesse et en vivacité quand on repense à la version Xbox 360 de Pro Evolution Soccer 6, au tempo plus mesuré. De là à dire qu'il faut déjà s'attendre à un festival, rien n'est moins sûr, car les défenses et les gardiens semblent pour l'heure au point, au
moins sur nos parties. Peut-être est-ce un effet déformant lié à nos premières minutes, mais on a même cru voir des joueurs se placer sciemment sur la ligne de passe, pour mieux anticiper et repartir tambour battant. Sans doute s'agit-il d'un des premiers effets des nouveaux scripts de l'I.A., baptisés "Teamvision", et censés s'adapter aux tactiques préférentielles de certains joueurs. A voir sur le long terme. Dans tous les cas, ce Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 réserve de bonnes sensations qu'il nous tarde de confirmer, même si, rappelons-le, ces détails paraîtront insignifiants à ceux pour qui PES n'est pas devenu une religion officieuse.

En ce qui concerne les nouvelles possibilités, Konami a d'ores et déjà promis une multitude de nouveaux dribbles, et notamment le crochet en talonnade de Didier Drogba, star et partenaire du jeu. La feinte de frappe est d'ailleurs gérée totalement différemment sur les versions Next Gen, puisque le joueur stoppe à présent sa course, sans forcément repartir dans l'autre sens. Il sera également possible de déterminer soi-même la composition du mur, notamment le nombre de joueurs. Les arrêts de jeu semblent d'ailleurs avoir fait l'objet d'un meilleur traitement : fini les écrans noirs à la moindre faute, on peut profiter d'un court laps de temps durant lesquels les joueurs se replacent pour essayer de jouer rapidement le coup et prendre la défense à revers. L'arbitre semble d'ailleurs un peu moins porté sur le sifflet. Il faudra le vérifier là encore au fil des matchs, mais bon nombre de contacts assez virils n'ont pas été sanctionnés, peut-être pour laisser profiter des nouvelles animations de chutes et autres tirages de maillot. La sortie de Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 est attendue pour mi-octobre en Europe.

SOURCE : GAMEKULT

It's in French so if you can translate it...
And Gamekult testers are good football games players so I can trust them
as they tested FIFA08 (I posted this article on the FIFA Thread)

AI Cheating... stiffness of players? thats not evolution

If PES annoyed me as much as it clearly does some people on this thread I wouldn't buy it and stick to games I do enjoy.

AI Cheating... stiffness of players? thats not evolution

Apart from shots automatically being put wide sometime if someone's in the way I enver see any AI cheating, there's alot of times when things just go my way in PES.

You must be lazy when you're playing PES, hence why you prefer FIFA, because it's a slow knock around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom