WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread (Last Update 08/22/07)

This is our beloved game

WE6
winningeleven_01302003-18.jpg

WE9
world-soccer-winning-eleven-9-international-20050901080459469.jpg

PES2008
6b0dq1z.jpg
[/QUOTE]

The game will always look like this it might get slightly better and sharper graphics over time but it will always look like this.

The game when you play it will never look like this etc.
proevolutionsoccer611501281239.jpg

Ppl have been over hyping game shots that have clearly been rendered or from the Intro vid etc. Taken from camera angles that are clearly unplayable zoomed to the max.

Now the gameplay videos are out everyone is bitching of course it was going to look like PES 6 on the Xbox 360.
The game looks fine and in 2 years time we will have the proper next gen version but its still going to look very similar to the game we all love to play but again be slightly sharper and have wonderful graphics.

Game looks fine for the first version on the PS3.
Just wait until you see PES 2010, like PES3 the changes will be fantastic but until then try to enjoy.

Repeating this i think the ppl complaining expecting something special from the first version on the PS3 are morons.

First versions of any game on a new console are usually shit look at all the EA sports titles that always come out straight away including Fifa.
PES on the PS2 was the worst game ever.

They dont have the technology to make a great game straight away.
It was 2-3 years until Pes 3 before Konami released a truly next gen title on the PS2 in Europe.

The Nets do look better tho lol.

1) Why the double post?
2) Come 2010, Fifa will have surpassed PES/WE if both companies keep moving on the same rate.
3) You don't need to wait till 2010 for quantum leaps. As soon as next-gen consoles were out, most -if not all- game companies completely reworked their titles into next-gen format, except those who couldn't afford it.
4) And yes the new nets do look fabulous ;)

It's gonna be good. In fact, great. But not even close to the greatness we wanted or expected.

Last edited:

Towards dissappointed heads, like someone else said, trust me its at least 91% Knee-jerk reactions and 9% reasonable thinking (no pun intended). i've been there and trust me almost everytime, i found out its me overacting to circumstances, especially with early pes vids..lol (pes4, pes5, even pes6)...... personally i'll reserve judgements till i've played it but i think with what i've seen, i definately will be getting the game as soon as humanly possible along with fifa08 even if it also looks like(gameplay wise) not a lot has changed regarding that as well except added modes, teams etc, but having played UCL, i can be certain thats not a reason for suicide, as long as the BUMP!!! and other minor issues's been sorted..... so that means two footy games to enjoyingly devoure come october, when i get fed up with minor niggles one has to offer, i'll be sure to pop the other in for compensation..:lol:

I know what you mean, it is easy to overreact.

But I know that for me personally, I am not overreacting, so to speak.

- Goalkeepers still do overhanded stupid-looking saves rather than using their "proper" hand (GC Official KONAMI video with C Ronaldo striking a freekick, the goalkeeper does it).

- Pace and tempo. I am not sure if this is just a trend, but both the FIFA08 and PES2008 videos all show the game being quicker than real life. In some respects I think they are accurate. FIFA showing Ronaldinho doing tricks for example; I have seen him do the elastico in matches, and his foot-movement is really quick. But in FIFA the transitions and overall tempo is too quick, everything he does is lightning fast, not justt he quick moves so to speak. There is no tempo variations that accentuate the quicker moves. Tempo needs to be maybe 70-80% of what it currently is. Since it is a game, atleast make it too slow rather than too fast (after all, there is an upper limit for human movements, but we can slow them down gradually in tempo until we aren't moving at all).

- Nets are way too springy, as mentioned. I mean, how hard is it to just shoot a real ball in a real net, and replicate that completely. It takes 1 second to see that the nets in PES2008 are way too springy, since the ball leaves them almost as quickly as they went in, which doesn't make any sense (if they were a brick wall or made or rubber maybe). They look good overall so why this aspect is lost beats me.

- The passing. After 4-5 years of this, I am almost completely tired of the automatic passing. The ball is auto-aimed at your teammates, and the power is beyond your control. Why are we settling this in a sport where everything is about how accurately you can aim and kick the ball? ISS had the right idea, and that was 10 years ago. Football Kingdom had the same idea, and that didn't last. Why should the passing be on a level where a 3-year old can play the game? I wonder how long before Halo forces automatic aim so as to be easy to pick up for 10-year olds.

- Penalties. Still no power bar (as seen in videos of the game), and no news of analog aim on penalties. WHich means they will be as pointless and skill-less as before. It's up to PES2008 to decide if Ronaldo will blow it wide just to piss you off.

- The "standing-still super shot". It was introduced in PES6. Why is it still there? I'd like to see anyone get that amount of power on a shot where you are completely stationary and just pulling back the leg. Power needs to be scaled down to somewhere like 70% of what it currently is (In PES6 it was actually even harder than some shots when you were running and shoting powerfully, which I suppose is further evidence how balloony and weak PES6 shots were at times).

- Overall tricks. This one is not confirmed yet. But I seriously hope they have made it possible to execute the Matthews feint while slow running (you couldn't do the drop-shoulder then in PES6, and the Matthwes feint is just a variation of that, which is perfect for doing while slowrunning before feinting and moving quickly in a direction). Also the Elastico needs to be possible when standing still, which PES6 disabled. You know, Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDEK48il4xM

Just off the top of my head.

Also if the elastico and moves like that are still hardcoded I am going to go mad. If I want to create myself as a player, I want to have all the tricks and such available to me when I create him. THat goes for all variations of drop-shoulders aswell. There are like 6 variations in the game, with different combinations forhow the player executes the feint (outside or inside with different combos), yet when you create a player in PES6 he is just randomly assigned with one animation. Do KONAMI think that if they set the elastico "free" someone will assign it to every player in the game or what?
Same goes for new moves like the "Heel Rush" of Drogba and Ronaldo (think that is the name).

So, I'm not happy yet. If this game cannot even implement some of the basic gameplay features that ISS98 had for the Nintendo64, I'm not going to become too excited.

Last edited:

Does anyone know how does the "next-gen" PES 2008 compare with the recently out PS2 J-League Winning Eleven purely in terms of gameplay? Thank you.

I'm not a regular poster here or anything, but I do peruse these forums for news around this time of year, and am appreciative of the effort people around here make to get the latest scoop on the PES franchise. I've been playing the games since PES1 on the PS2.

I've just seen those videos and I have to agree with the general consensus of 'underwhelmed'. I won't comment on gameplay, because as always with PES, it's all about 'feel'. You have to play the game to really understand the nuances and improvements. However, the one thing I can comment on are the animations, which look, in a word, horrendous. I've never seen a human being run like the players on the PES2008 clips. The sprint animation still look like the players are skating on ice, and the movement still looks heavily based with in the '8-axis' dimension. There doesn't seem to be any style of movement unique to the more recognisable players. In the Brazil clips, Kaka moves just like Robinho. People who watch football know this shouldn't be so. There's also two passing animations which seem heavily prevalent in the videos. One is some sort of strange toe-punt, usually a ground pass over a long distance. The other is the dreaded outside of the boot animation which bugged me no end since PES4. I also have problem with look of the games tempo. Hopeully it's just an anomaly in the transfer of the video, but the pace of the game looks just too fast.

I realise all of the above are animation gripes, but for the last for years it's been these same animation problems in the PES series that really spoil the immersiveness of playing a football match. Ii was hoping the next generation of games would get it right. That they don't seem to have been rectified at all worries me, because its likely means that Seabass and co. actually think they have it right.

This is our beloved game

Ppl have been over hyping game shots that have clearly been rendered or from the Intro vid etc. Taken from camera angles that are clearly unplayable zoomed to the max.

Now the gameplay videos are out everyone is bitching of course it was going to look like PES 6 on the Xbox 360.
The game looks fine and in 2 years time we will have the proper next gen version but its still going to look very similar to the game we all love to play but again be slightly sharper and have wonderful graphics.

Game looks fine for the first version on the PS3.
Just wait until you see PES 2010, like PES3 the changes will be fantastic but until then try to enjoy.

Repeating this i think the ppl complaining expecting something special from the first version on the PS3 are morons.

First versions of any game on a new console are usually shit look at all the EA sports titles that always come out straight away including Fifa.
PES on the PS2 was the worst game ever.

They dont have the technology to make a great game straight away.
It was 2-3 years until Pes 3 before Konami released a truly next gen title on the PS2 in Europe.

The Nets do look better tho lol.
I understand your reaction but if you were to check other next gen sports games you'd realise that it didn't take long to adapt very well to the next systems.For instance NBA 2K7 looks magnificient and plays amazingly.The animations are so natural and lifelike it's amazing to see the level this game has reached so quickly.It's not the perfect game but for me it's not really far from it.In terms of gameplay I'll have to see but in terms of animations ,I'm with Trance here I feel gutted the way they all look.I'm also sick of those directions,no control ,....
Weren't they supposed to be no more loading screens for free kicks ? I really feel let down by Konami (as always ;) )

throw-ins are still taken miles away from the sideline......the fuck? are you serious seabass? a death threat is coming your way sunshine, keep up the good work

Tha players moves look so so shit :( omg.. like robots !!! and look like PES 6 for PS2
WHERE IS NEXT GEN MOVES ???
FIFA look much better : http://www.gamespot.com/video/938663/6177283/videoplayerpop?rgroup=leipzig07_videos#
That is next gen moves !!
FUC* first time in my life i sea that :( FIFA LOOK BETTER .
I hope that shit moves is Because the game is only 75 % complet :(

Last edited:

Guys,

1. Is there 360 movement in pes?
2. What about penalties? Have they changed that or do they use same old system. You shoot and script decide how powerful ball will fly and where(over the goal, beside the goal or in the goal)?
3. Can you send all of your players in penalty area when taking corner kick (Like in real life)?
4. Do the long through passes have power bar (is it working)?
5. Can you move goalkeeper when freekick(I know they implemented this since PES 5 -> but never worked. Just hold triangle button and nothing happens)?
6. Can send your player(that your are not controlling) forward when attacking like in Fifa?

Thanks

They do that flick over head like 4 times... realism?

That mechanic alone will break fifa08.

I'm still going to pick it up but im not going to exploit it like that.

They do that flick over head like 4 times... realism?

That mechanic alone will break fifa08.

I'm still going to pick it up but im not going to exploit it like that.

you can choose not to pull of those tricks.

the video does look nice.

the player models don't seem as hunched an monkey like which is good too.

they just need to fix a few things within the gameplay.

it's like dr pepper. try it, you might just like it.

My very first game was Wining Eleven 9 and that gameplay was amazing even better than PES6. I asked my friends to come over to play and they were amamazed. The first thing i said before we played was, " You have to try this game it's wayyyyyy better than FIFA", but now that I've seen both FIFA 08 and PES2008 it looks like FIFA is catching up. But thats jsut videos, before i judge it I have to play it.

People say this EVERY year: "FIFA is going to be MUCH better now. Finally FIFA will be better than PES". FIFA usually feels great the first time, and then it's all downhill, while PES only gets better the more you play it. I felt a bit disappointed the first time I played both PES5 and PES6, but that didn't last very long. When I start playing PES2008, I will know that I have to be a bit patient before I finally see the light.

PES gameplay has lots and lots of depth. That's what makes the game so good. You can't just watch some 2 minute videos of people playing it for the first time and think you've seen what its all about.

So you're right about playing it before judging it.

2. What about penalties? Have they changed that or do they use same old system. You shoot and script decide how powerful ball will fly and where(over the goal, beside the goal or in the goal)?

Same old shit, even Fifa has a proper system for that......

Video here of same old shitty penalties in PES 2008: http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=155707

In Fifa I can blast it, place it, chip it delicately down the middle of the goal and make the keeper look stupid

you can choose not to pull of those tricks.

the video does look nice.

the player models don't seem as hunched an monkey like which is good too.

they just need to fix a few things within the gameplay.

it's like dr pepper. try it, you might just like it.

I Know i don't mate but it's not me im worried about there are already ALOT of cheap pes6 players out there and i think with this trick system the online play will be a joke.

I mean why have all that awesome player movement if it ends up being irrelevant.

Best thing they could have done is kept the skill moves to simple feints and stepovers.

EDIT: I love DrPepper!

I Know i don't mate but it's not me im worried about there are already ALOT of cheap pes6 players out there and i think with this trick system the online play will be a joke.

I mean why have all that awesome player movement if it ends up being irrelevant.

Best thing they could have done is kept the skill moves to simple feints and stepovers.

EDIT: I love DrPepper!

yeh i know what you mean, but you can play people like me and have a good game without the silly tricks. :)

I'm not a regular poster here or anything, but I do peruse these forums for news around this time of year, and am appreciative of the effort people around here make to get the latest scoop on the PES franchise. I've been playing the games since PES1 on the PS2.

I've just seen those videos and I have to agree with the general consensus of 'underwhelmed'. I won't comment on gameplay, because as always with PES, it's all about 'feel'. You have to play the game to really understand the nuances and improvements. However, the one thing I can comment on are the animations, which look, in a word, horrendous. I've never seen a human being run like the players on the PES2008 clips. The sprint animation still look like the players are skating on ice, and the movement still looks heavily based with in the '8-axis' dimension. There doesn't seem to be any style of movement unique to the more recognisable players. In the Brazil clips, Kaka moves just like Robinho. People who watch football know this shouldn't be so. There's also two passing animations which seem heavily prevalent in the videos. One is some sort of strange toe-punt, usually a ground pass over a long distance. The other is the dreaded outside of the boot animation which bugged me no end since PES4. I also have problem with look of the games tempo. Hopeully it's just an anomaly in the transfer of the video, but the pace of the game looks just too fast.

I realise all of the above are animation gripes, but for the last for years it's been these same animation problems in the PES series that really spoil the immersiveness of playing a football match. Ii was hoping the next generation of games would get it right. That they don't seem to have been rectified at all worries me, because its likely means that Seabass and co. actually think they have it right.

i totally agree with you!!!!!!!
animations are terrible!!!!
very disapointing!!!!!
and the game seems so damn fast!!!
why konami!?? why!???
it´s more robotic than ever!!!
and everybody was saying that the game in motion was amazing realistic because of the new animation system!??:shock:
too bad!!!

OMG look that : http://www.jeuxvideo.tv/pro-evolution-soccer-2008-video-42284.html

That is look like PES 6 .. all is like PES 6...
LEASE KOMANI :(

i totally agree with you!!!!!!!
animations are terrible!!!!
very disapointing!!!!!
and the game seems so damn fast!!!
why konami!?? why!???
it´s more robotic than ever!!!
and everybody was saying that the game in motion was amazing realistic because of the new animation system!??:shock:
too bad!!!

I m8 all that is truth#-o:cry:

Last edited:

"People say this every year FIFA08 will beat PES08."

Correct. But this time around more people are saying it. Even after they saw gameplay videos.

Remember: results in the past are no guarantee for the present. PES is the new Fifa. Fifa is the new evolution.

Viva revolution!

i agree, the movement of pes looks just as bad as it did last year. sure gameplay is better but the movement and animations look akward and very unnatural.

im leaning towards fifa for the fist time since 1997 road to world cup.

im getting pain in my balls looking at the pes videos this year :(
I can't believe konami is putting that tiny amount of effort to
create a great soccergame. I think they could have used the power of
xbox360 and playstation 3 much better to make it a worthy opponent of the new fifa.

wow, i cant believe to read this in a PES forum. Something is changing.

In fact i think this is going to be good to the Pes series. Next year Seabass must work hard or Konami will lose the pole position.

This year the decision seems harder than ever. I hope both demos are released. Im not gonna buy if i cant test it.

look closely in that video i think its lampard the way he is following the ball without it simply awsome

sorry no fifa for me

winning eleven all the way :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom