Uefa Europa League 2013/2014

I was hoping Juve x Benfica would be the final of this year, as they are the best teams in the semi-finals.

Anyway, looking forward to a great clash :)

I was looking forward, beside the obvious fact that my team is on a semi-final of Europa League, to see how Jorge Jesus would play against a 3-1-4-2 team with high percentage of possession (which is not very normal for that system. It's normally used for a more direct type of game, counter-attacking game). Benfica entered very well on the game, even beside the goal. We play wider and directly that we normally play. With less (deliberately) possession and much less position switching. Dominated the game for 25/30 minutes, had a few good changes. The plan seemed to be working very well. But then, Juve took control. They were patience and Conte recognized that A. Gomes wasn't comfortable playing at DMF and was a bit nervous. Of the various absentees (Vidal, Gaitán, Fejsa, Salvio), Fejsa was the one that was needed most. Benfica only have a true DMF (in him). The whole scheme is different with him on the pitch. Enzo Pérez has a lot more freedom. Benfica since the half hour mark could not take control of the game anymore. Juve play the possession game very well, with some deadly through balls and cross. Benfica lost his fire/intensity on the second half (we are not used to play so many minutes without the ball). Fatigue started to creep in, running too much without the ball plus those "go all in" counters clearly took a tool on the legs.

The fair result probably should be a tie. Good goal by Tévez, great technique, with a bit of luck. Awesome goal by Lima! The last ten minutes, both teams lost their tactical discipline and there were a few very dangerous chances for both sides. Overall was a very good game.

PS: I'm not usually to complain about the Ref. It's normally just an excuse, in my view. In the course of a game there a lot of tough decisions and you have to give the ref the benefit of doubt, and other times the ref doesn't have the best view. But the penalty of Cáceres on Enzo Pérez was outrageous. He has a clear view of the challenge, is super close (3/4 metres), Cáceres clearly moves his hip towards Enzo. The contact was so clear. Nothing in Enzo movement seemed suggested he was diving for the ref to be fooled by it.

Juventus in the final is better for marketing, etc, so yes, the referee was VERY biased.

With Gaitan, Fejsa and Lima in the starting eleven we have a good chance in the 2nd leg, hope they can all play...

May be biased but I don't think Caceres' challenge on Pérez was a penalty. There was contact, yes, but Pérez was looking for it himself.

Caceres did make the penalty move, but Pérez had no chance of finishing that dribble even if Caceres stood still there was no space, he knew that and went anyway because he wanted that contact with Caceres for the penalty.

That's why I don't think it's a penalty, but the referee was terrible in that game anyway, that is for sure!

Here is the video (the one you posted is offline).

It's was a good game, Juventus had all the chances to win the match in the second half but are attack is terrible. Benfica used the fewer chances they had and scored, which is better.

But a draw would be more representative on how the match was played by both sides imo.

Looking forward to the game next week, hope it's an amazing match, and again, I wish this game was the final as they are the best teams. Too bad it's the semifinal and one of them will not lift the trophy for sure now.

Last edited:
The football mafia is trying hard to get Juventus to the Final.

Now they're trying to take Enzo Perez out of the 2nd leg, because of an alleged elbow on Chiellini.

Juve made a complaint and the UEFA disciplinary committee made a lightning fast decision to hold the meeting tomorrow to review it and now Benfica has less than 24 hours to present and defend their case, which is FAR from the norm.

Juve are clearly the better team, they don't need this sort of sh*t...

Edit: apparently Juve also made a complaint about this because they found it offensive:

osK8xhj.jpg

A banner to honor the Torino team that died on a plane crash in '49 after a friendly game with Benfica. Because of this Benfica will be issued a fine by UEFA.

Really Juve? REALLY? Pathetic...

Too many backstage moves already, I've lost all hope of going through.

Last edited:
I don't think it was meant as something with a positive message. Why would they remember that at exactly that match? If it was very near the fourth of may, I could have understood it, but it wasn't.

Too bad they forgot to suspend Tevez after what he did against Neto (Fiorentina). It would have been good for us, since he scored the so important go in Luz stadium.

Someone is trying to help the old lady crossing the street, lol.

I don't think it was meant as something with a positive message. Why would they remember that at exactly that match? If it was very near the fourth of may, I could have understood it, but it wasn't.

Are you kidding? Obviously that gesture would have much more impact in that game, because it would be followed in Italy. 2 weeks before the date of the tragedy is too much?
Is this in ANY way provocative?!

How in the world is that offensive to Juve?

The Benfica fans did that because Torino fans would be watching of course.

Are you kidding? Obviously that gesture would have much more impact in that game, because it would be followed in Italy. 2 weeks before the date of the tragedy is too much?
Is this in ANY way provocative?!

There was no need to put those banners in that particular day, but I agree that Juve didn't had to make a official complain to UEFA as that's just stupid and useless. I bet the idiot who made the official complain is the same person who encourages the club to have players like Tevez and Pogba, haha.

Too bad they forgot to suspend Tevez after what he did against Neto (Fiorentina). It would have been good for us, since he scored the so important go in Luz stadium.

Someone is trying to help the old lady crossing the street, lol.

On that you are totally right, he should even have been banned in my opinion, I even made a post here that night about it, that was not a normal football tackle, that could ended Neto's career or even worst.

But you should be glad Tevez is playing, he is horrible and never scores important goals, that one in the last match was the exception of the rule. If it wasn't for him we would be in the Champions League right now, haha.

Daniel, I don't think Tevez is THAT bad... you're just used to great forwards ;) Before the game I was aware he had a long run without european goals and I 'knew' he would break it against us... That kind of thing always happens with us..

About the banners, maybe Juve fans thought they were provocative..but I can guarantee you they weren't. Torino tragedy is remembered lots of times in Benfica forum's, communities, etc... There's even a request to Benfica board to invite them to Eusebio Cup (pre season tournment) instead of the big teams we have been inviting. The crash happened returning from Lisbon...
And since it was not offensive to Juventus in any way, and concerning a tragedy, I thought it was a very 'low' move from Juventus... Nobody cares about the fine... But we don't see such friendly things in football very often, and when we see some good examples in football, there's always someone small enough to demote people from doing it.

Anyway, about the game...I understand it's very important for both Juventus and Benfica. I thought that it was a nice first leg (considering Benfica had some physical problems and there was no Salvio, Gaitan, Fejsa and Silvio), even with that referee error (in my opinion). I expect an exciting 2nd leg, and if you go through (as it is expected) I'll congratulate you for sure... But why have this side games? Let's see who's the best on the pitch... no need for this, honestly.

The banners have a reasonable explanation. It's something that marked both cities, and a Benfica-Torino official match it's something that probably won't happened in many years. In my view, it's an innocent gesture, and a commendable one. Only some very stupid people would take that as on offensive or as a provocation.

As for the "background noise", I'm really worried. Portuguese teams (and others from smaller countries) have a history of being cheated on UEFA competitions. 2 seasons ago, we have been robbed against Chelsea in CL 4-finals. Just hope the ref isn't a "homer".

Daniel, I don't think Tevez is THAT bad... you're just used to great forwards ;) Before the game I was aware he had a long run without european goals and I 'knew' he would break it against us... That kind of thing always happens with us..

About the banners, maybe Juve fans thought they were provocative..but I can guarantee you they weren't. Torino tragedy is remembered lots of times in Benfica forum's, communities, etc... There's even a request to Benfica board to invite them to Eusebio Cup (pre season tournment) instead of the big teams we have been inviting. The crash happened returning from Lisbon...
And since it was not offensive to Juventus in any way, and concerning a tragedy, I thought it was a very 'low' move from Juventus... Nobody cares about the fine... But we don't see such friendly things in football very often, and when we see some good examples in football, there's always someone small enough to demote people from doing it.

Anyway, about the game...I understand it's very important for both Juventus and Benfica. I thought that it was a nice first leg (considering Benfica had some physical problems and there was no Salvio, Gaitan, Fejsa and Silvio), even with that referee error (in my opinion). I expect an exciting 2nd leg, and if you go through (as it is expected) I'll congratulate you for sure... But why have this side games? Let's see who's the best on the pitch... no need for this, honestly.

I agree with you in everything, I didn't know about all this involvement Benfica has on the Torino tragedy 'till today so thanks for the info, and I too hate this 'side games' too bad we the fans can do anything about it :/

The first game was a good match, I already commented about it but let me say one more time that Tevez is terrible, believe me I watch every single Juve match and I can tell. In the common info and media videos they show the best of him, the reality is a lot different. He made a HORRENDOUS season in the UCL-UEL (have in mind that this was the reason why we bought him) and in Serie A scoring mostly non-important goals and losing important ones ALL the time (but nobody ever mentions this in the media as would make his image worst, they need to sell t-shirts and all that moneytalk bs, you know the drill).

He was mainly bought to score in the UCL and help take us far in that competition, in the Serie A we had already proven everything and did not need new CFs to do that again this year to be really honest. So ZERO goals in the UCL playing all the games, great investment. :RANT:

It's true we are used to have top scores and all, and that is the problem, he is not that and as a person he is a piece of crap, that Neto foul speaks for itself. Juventus has a history of great CFs and right now were are living a shameful period, even Llorente being kinda good that is all I can really say about him, he is 'kinda good', nothing more at the moment. Giovinco is an amazing player but he is not a CF, he plays behind the real CF so it's not up to him to fix this problem.

To resume, as I said last season and will repeat for the next one: BRING IMMOBILE BACK.

When I said that last season the guys said he was not ready, only scored 5 goals and all, well just take a look now, simply top scorer of the league.

I hope the second match is a great game and I will to congratulate Benfica if they pass, imo they are the greatest thing in Portugal football-wise so if they pass I even hope they win the cup.

Let's hope all this crap behind the scenes does not spoil the game :)

The banners have a reasonable explanation. It's something that marked both cities, and a Benfica-Torino official match it's something that probably won't happened in many years. In my view, it's an innocent gesture, and a commendable one. Only some very stupid people would take that as on offensive or as a provocation.

As for the "background noise", I'm really worried. Portuguese teams (and others from smaller countries) have a history of being cheated on UEFA competitions. 2 seasons ago, we have been robbed against Chelsea in CL 4-finals. Just hope the ref isn't a "homer".

I hope for the same, let's hope everything runs normally and the backstage crap stays out of it.

juventus could have got immobile, berardi or icardi last summer (know easier said than done though). they are a too huge club to treat a player like tevez like a talisman. that's sad. apart from him, I think they have a great squad and a very good coach.

Very well said Kanouté.

Immobile is still part ours, they opted to let him play on loan one more season and invest everything on Tevez.

I said that was a terrible idea before it was even confirmed, most people though it was great, but also most people are stupid so... that's that.

Last edited:
Great post Daniel!

Well, in fact, I fear Giovinco the most..but he'll probably not be on the starting XI. I think Luisão shows his best against forwards like Llorente and struggle against quick and skilful like Giovinco.. But we'll see...

About Torino, it's not like Benfica fans support Torino... but both clubs have this connection and Benfica is a traditional club. We would do the same with any other italian team. Like Celtic usually... They also remembered Miklos Feher when they faced Benfica.

About the match itself, I'm sure it will be a great game. I enjoyed Juventus a lot...specially on how you started your counter attacks. Looked like a machine, I think you're very strong tactically. And that was nice to watch.. I felt you weren't all that creative on the offensive end, depending a lot on Pirlo's vision and passes (as your wingers were very cautious getting forward), but I'm expecting a lot more from you playing at home now.

The match will be a great one, I'm sure. Both teams have great tactical prowess, and both will look to dominate the midfield. So that will make for an entertaining match.

Juve had a tough game on Monday. Rainy pitch, coming from behind and barely rested any of the probable starting XI. So I think if Benfica forced a high tempo game, maybe some tiredness of Juve's players will be noticeable.

Just hope that this off-the-field BS does not impact the game. Juve does not need that to win the game.

As for Juventus' strikers. I never so the great things that everyone talked about Tévez. He is a solid player, but has many "holes" in his game, besides his character and sometimes lack of professionalism. Llorente lacks pace and mobility to be a top class striker. He is solid, though. Vucinić's best days are over. He was never a CF, his best years at Roma as playing from the left wing. Immobile, I didn't follow the Serie A this year, but you don't score that many goals as a fluke. Juve should give him a try, but still, in my opinion, need to buy another striker.

The thing that pissed me off in the first leg was the fact that Juventus kept doing the same thing over and over again and... it always worked, we couldn't stop them. Looked like playing FIFA online against someone exploiting the game's bugs.

We must do a better job pressing the receiver of that first pass.

Also, there were many times that Juve were awarded free kicks near midfield and some Benfica players turned their backs to the ball while retreating when Pirlo was near the ball, which is pretty f*cking stupid, a few times he made some very dangerous through passes that caused a lot of trouble.

The guy he's with is posing in a Juventus kit from Platini's era, don't look for conspicaries.

No need to be posting more stuff like that... let's wait for tomorrow's decision. There's always space for conspiracies, as there would be if Benfica was returning to european finals after a while, being Eusebio (rip) UEFA's president. Off course Platini is rooting for Juventus, and I don't care as long as UEFA remains neutral. They weren't neutral on game analysis on their website which title after our 2-1 win was "Juventus just one goal away from the final".
But as I said before, the match is played on the field and let's expect a nice game, hopefully with no controversial decisions.

Back
Top Bottom