Uefa Europa League 2013/2014

It wasn't a difficult match to handle at all. There was barely any diving, especially not near or in the box. Most fouls were tactical ones, small fouls, nothing major. The game wasn't overly aggressive. It was a typical southern European match. Can't understand why they haven't chosen an Italian or a French ref that are used to this type of clash.

We aren't complain about the overall referring, but by missing two clear penalties (which after reading most of the international press, the majority seemed to agree on the mistakes of the ref), plus the hand ball that in my opinion is a 50/50 call, so I personally not complaining on that. Say what you will, but that changes the game.

Just because in other countries refs don´t pull the whistle so much, doesn´t make them right. Rules are rules, but sadly every ref is suposed to have a discipline level. Problem sometimes is they can´t keep the same level for the whole match and then these kind of mistakes happen. Referees are still very affraid of deciding matches with penalty decisions. If the foul on Gaitan was made in the midfield, I bet everything it would have been called and with a yellow card to the defender. The way he just jumps into Gaitan from behind is more then enough to call it.
And about being always portuguese complaining, yes its true, because we are right! I remember a few years ago, Arbeloa could make eleven fouls, stoping Portugal counters, before he saw the first yellow card. In the last World Cup, Portugal launched Ronaldo, and the last Brasilian defender stops the ball intentionally with the hand, like a true goalkeeper, in the midfield. He had no chance to reach the ball or even to catch Ronaldo, only the keeper to beat. Yellow card. Enough said.

This happens to many teams, including big teams too. The stupid thing is saying we can´t complain.

Not all, but I see few Benfica opportunity to score, but they did not.
Beto (Portuguese GK) kill Benfica, not the ref, next time I think Cardozo don't run during 30 secondes for waiting to see the goalkeeper move to shoot a penalty.

Last edited:
What is the purpose of these extra officials behind the goal if they can't even judge that a goalkeeper is miles off his line before a penalty is a taken?

Not all, but I see few Benfica opportunity to score, but they did not.
Beto (Portuguese GK) kill Benfica, not the ref, next time I think Cardozo don't run during 30 secondes for waiting to see the goalkeeper move to shoot a penalty.

Did we miss lots of chances? Yes.

Did the referees miss two clear penaltys that would mean 2nd yellows to Sevilla players? Yes.

Did Beto only save Cardozo's penalty because he was 2 metres ahead of his line? Yes.

Beto CHEATED, that's why he "killed" Benfica.

Almost all goalkeepers do that and it's rarely sanctioned by the referees...

But says Platini, mafia, antiportuguese etc... don't be idiot
Platini cheated so well, France and Italians clubs are so good in European cups :P

Last edited:
NCgXg0Ck.gif

Badly taken penalty my ass, he'd never reach it if he didn't come out of his line...

Cool view ! Great save btw I notice more retakes(pen) given when players run into the box during the ball being kicked.Penalties shootouts are just cruel . I rather lose a goal down then lose on shoot outs.

I agree that some of those fouls would certainly have been given outside the box.
This happens in almost every match (you only have to look at what happens when there is a corner kick).

Something very good would be that each and everything of those "small" fouls were given by all refs in every match.

What bothers me most is all the stuff about Platini and maffia. It seems that for some people every time their team looses, there is a conspiracy....

Benfica deserve some European silverware after last years final (much more impressive than this one) and after the last one...thing is that this year (and last year) they shot themsleves in the foot.

All the fuss about Beto's movement wouldn't have been necessary if their forwards had scored.

About Beto:he is far from man of the match. He had a shocking first half. His second half was better....he is not a very good GK.

Did we miss lots of chances? Yes.

Did the referees miss two clear penaltys that would mean 2nd yellows to Sevilla players? Yes.

Did Beto only save Cardozo's penalty because he was 2 metres ahead of his line? Yes.

Beto CHEATED, that's why he "killed" Benfica.

The last point is the key one. All the other points are matters of opinion, the ref "could have" called fouls, he "could have" given a yellow card, but it's subjective. However there is no doubt about the keeper being off his line during the shootout and there is no room for doubt about that being illegal (even if Snipe now wants the rules re-written so a keeper can stand right infront of the spot). It all adds up to shocking negligence on the part of the ref/assistants. It's a penalty shootout not a counter attack from a corner or a melee at a free kick, everything happens in the space of 10-12 meters and there can be no obstructed view.

Yes Benfica should have won the game in normal time, yes their strikers were poor, but as long as refs get such basic things wrong they leave themselves open to huge criticism.

As for Platini, I don't think he is inherently corrupt, but sheer stupidity of the man causes problems. He should be impartial as the head of the European game, when asked about who will win the CL he should say banal platitudes like, "There are lots of strong teams and there could be 4-5 winners" instead of "I hope Juventus surprise people (or words to that effect)". When it comes to picking a host for Euro 2016 he should have been far more diplomatic, his rash words screwed up any chance of Turkey wanting to host it and now we will have this non-tournament for 2020, when the logical thing would have been for Turkey to get 2016 and France to get 2020. He shouldnt say stuff about FFP when his son is on the board of PSG/Qatar it's a massive conflict of interest and he should have ensured that FFP was handled by someone else and not commented on it. All this stuff leaves him so open to accusations of nepotism and cronyism. I look at Platini and then at Blatter and I would rather another 10 years of Blatter than Platini.

Well, but aren't the rules supposed to be followed?

I may be biased because I am a goalkeeper (amateur though) but shouldn't rules be followed by players who are taking penalties too? Keepers decide in advance where they will go because if you wait until ball is kicked you are already too late. When players slow down before kicking the ball they do that so that they are able to see where keeper intents to go and than send the ball in other side. As long as players keep cheating when they take penalties I am absolutely for that keepers are allowed to make step or two from the line. Rules should be followed for both sides, not just one.

Then one more reason to repeat the penalty. Isn´t it what happens if the attacker doesn´t follow the rules? You guys are giving even more reasons for benfica fans to complain.

The last point is the key one. All the other points are matters of opinion, the ref "could have" called fouls, he "could have" given a yellow card, but it's subjective. However there is no doubt about the keeper being off his line during the shootout and there is no room for doubt about that being illegal (even if Snipe now wants the rules re-written so a keeper can stand right infront of the spot). It all adds up to shocking negligence on the part of the ref/assistants. It's a penalty shootout not a counter attack from a corner or a melee at a free kick, everything happens in the space of 10-12 meters and there can be no obstructed view.

Don't be ridiculous, I never wrote something like that. I agree with all of you, he may have jumped too far away from the line, but why were two of Benfica's strikers able to score, while two others weren't? Because their penalties where much better, not because of a different goalie movement pattern.

Saying that the striker should score despite the GK cheating is a rather pointless discussion. The rules are there for some reason. Just remember that.

@cuky. I'm GK myself (well was). And the rule is pretty clear. The strikers can do stop when they want as long as they don't "fake" a shot. That's the only thing that matters. You are only trying to read his hip anyway.

@gerd talking about we shoot ourselves in the foot when there was 2 penalties to be awarded plus the Beto thing is quite amazing. Guess if Belgium get out of the WC after missing several chances with an outrageous penalty in the minute 95 that the ref missed you would say: "tough luck! You should’ve done better".

And the entire mafia/Platini thing is something that some people said in the heat of the moment. Off course there's no connection with this game. But we all know that big countries and/or traditional powerhouses usually get the "benefit of the doubt" when comes to the refs decisions. Happens all the time, and people who deny it maybe should "review the tape" with open eyes.

Spain is bigger than Portugal. Their federation as more influence on UEFA. But I'm not saying they have influence on this match. Just talking on general terms.

I´ve grown up watching football since a kid and the feelings slowly gets into our skin, that Portugal has to play way better, not just good enough, because usually we don´t play only against 11. Fact is we are considered arrogant players and fans, and that alone is enough to blur some referees mentality towards a game. I already gave to examples here on the forum. It comes to mind the decisive penalty that Ricardo Carvalho didn´t comit on Henry years ago; the awarded penalty from a handball by Abel Xavier, actually it was handball, but very arguable, ball in arm, so we are still wandering if it was the other way around, would have been awarded a penalty to that powerfull national France those days? It comes to mind Portugal against Netherlands, where Boulahrouz injured Ronaldo with a very dangerous high tackle, but doesn´t get sent off; it comes to mind Portugal against Japan, where João Pinto goes hard on the ball, but the japanese player puts himself in the way (very similar to the penalty not awarded against Lima) wich results in direct red card to João Pinto, of course players got on the nerve and reacted badly, wich resulted in a bunch of big punishes from Fifa to several Portugal players...

Sooo, yes, I keep feeling that Portugal is the "Ugly Ducking Story" from Europe.

Last edited:
What about it? He´s an agressive player. Probably spent the match stopping players with fouls. Second yellow card. Nothing special there in my opinion.
I defend that every foul should be called, not just the serious ones. That was not a very serious foul, but it was a foul and the yellow card is the result of other situations acumulated. Anyway, like I said, he should had been sent off earlier.

Now that I remember properly, that was a very atipical match. Lots of cards, several sent offs... Players lost their temper and also the referee couldn´t cope with that. If the referee had stopped a couple situations earlier, the players knew they coudn´t be too harsh.

Last edited:
Hmm hard to judge that, but if you see the extended highlights, in the second repetition, the arm really looks to hit his face, also there´s a clear intention of disturbing Figo´s run with the arm. Like I said, hard to judge but there´s the idea that he did hit him. The question debated here, is not if someone simulated a foul or not. The main question is why referees don´t whistle or book in clear agressive situations.

Last edited:
Ivanov wasn't in control of that match, that's why it resulted in a festival of cards. There's a reason the match is nicknamed 'The battle of Nürnberg'.

Back
Top Bottom