UEFA Euro Men 2024

Well it was all a bit underwhelming again. Let's be honest we may have finished group winners but hardly convincingly.

I have heard some lame excuses through the media and fans over the last few days, like "we will improve as the tournament progresses" or "we don't want to peak too early" whatever they do, they need to have their shit sorted for the next stage.

They may have stumbled to the more favourable side of the draw, but how they have performed in this group, any team is going to be a challenge.

Also what's this I hear about the fans singing some chant based on Springsteen's dancing in the dark? From what I can see it's more like, fumbling for the light switch in the dark.

Very disapointing about my danes. Where are the dynamite.

And england, well that's southgate football.

Last group matches today, on wednesday. I read on german dazn social media post that only one team of these 4 nations: germany, spain, france and portugal, can reach the final because of the tournament mode tree.

So I could bet germany or spain will be champion of the Euro.
But like I said in my first post, I had all my wishes and crossed fingers for italy. Because of the serie a champion these season is one of my favorites and 5 players are from Inter, in this italy squad.

Moving forward he should start but if he’s not doing much and Palmer is playing better then Saka should be dropped. Now we’re in the knockouts we don’t really have time to wait for someone to drastically improve.
Personally, I think we need to Start Mainoo as I’ve previously mentioned. Not because he’s a Utd player but just because he provides a calmness, can cover well, has a knack of keeping the ball in difficult situations and he can also find a pass and even score should the opportunity arise.
I do completely agree with this. They've accomplished more in the few minutes they were on tonight then the players they replaced. If they had more time to settle in this game it could've been a much different outcome. Bringing on Gordon with 4 minutes to go was a trademark Southgate piss take.

Last group matches today, on wednesday. I read on german dazn social media post that only one team of these 4 nations: germany, spain, france and portugal, can reach the final because of the tournament mode tree.

But like I said in my first post, I had all my wishes and crossed fingers for italy. Because of the serie a champion these season is one of my favorites and 5 players are from Inter, in this italy squad.
Yeah and Italy and Belgium are on paper the fancied sides to reach the final from this bracket, yet Italy haven't exactly looked like defending champions and Belgium are inconsistent too. Austria are the ones to keep an eye on here and could pull a Greece/Croatia and reach the final.

I can't even consider England in this conversation at the moment.

Yeah and Italy and Belgium are on paper the fancied sides to reach the final from this bracket, yet Italy haven't exactly looked like defending champions and Belgium are inconsistent too. Austria are the ones to keep an eye on here and could pull a Greece/Croatia and reach the final.

I can't even consider England in this conversation at the moment.
I'm not sure about austria. The play good and have an well expierenced and known manager. But the players are not so much expierenced I would say.
Let us be to surprise by them.

I do completely agree with this. They've accomplished more in the few minutes they were on tonight then the players they replaced. If they had more time to settle in this game it could've been a much different outcome. Bringing on Gordon with 4 minutes to go was a trademark Southgate piss take.

Sometimes a player is so pissed off with only getting the last 5 minutes it fires him up. Seen a last 5 min sub impact the same many times. This time it did nothing though other than infuriate the public.

Group C and D aren't really interesting to watch, with the exception of Austria. This team could be a major dark horse of this tournament after their fantastic win over the Netherlands. The opponents of Austria in Round of 16 might be easier. If they got Turkiye, Austria could easily win just like what happened in the last friendly. However, the quarterfinal is the most tricky one because the opponents for this stage were possibly Group E winners (there's a further upsets in this group due to the all four teams having tied on points going into the last match, which means there's still a chance Belgium will crash out).

England and France will obviously met in the Final, but given their mediocre performances in the group stage, I think they won't go further beyond. I think Germany or Spain will be the real winner of this Euro.

Very disapointing about my danes. Where are the dynamite.

And england, well that's southgate football.

Oh good news, as I bet on teams pre-tournament and adjusted since. I win like 450 if Spain win it. 200 if Germany win, 200 if Portugal win. One risk right now. I lose about 600 if England win it. Guess what? I'm not scared of that happening :)

If they need England to bang in 3 or more goals, I think they might be a bit fucked :D
Called it, absolute shit show. Best thing about the game was me sacking off the 1st half after 20 mins to go and make a nice steak. As others have said, unless Southgate rings the changes to the first 11 and makes subs early, I can see us going out the next round.

Had a thought today listening to a podcast that was trying to put a positive spin on England's performance so far.

In fairness, if a time-traveller told you a month ago - without you having to watch any of the absolutely horrendous football - that we'd win the group stage, I think most people would be happy (as opposed to the actual feeling of having achieved that, which is sheer embarrassment - like a snooker player tripping over a loose bit of carpet and potting the match-winning ball by accident).

The thought I had was a bit of a "thought exercise" - I obviously don't think this will actually happen, but:

If England shakily drew every game from now on 0-0, including the final, and won each game on penalties... Would we (the English) feel proud?

Every year up until now, I'd have said "obviously, what a stupid question"... Probably because I'd be imagining really hard-fought, defensive performances (as opposed to completely imagination-less, fearful fumble-ball).

Now, I think I'd just be absolutely mortified, forever, and I'd honestly rather see us get knocked out ASAP so I can enjoy what's left of an otherwise great tournament as a whole. How can you be proud of a turd?

Either way, I've never hated football so much as when I watch this side. I've been a big fan of Southgate in recent years, but there's no excusing this absolute shite.

If England shakily drew every game from now on 0-0, including the final, and won each game on penalties... Would we (the English) feel proud?

Every year up until now, I'd have said "obviously, what a stupid question"... Probably because I'd be imagining really hard-fought, defensive performances (as opposed to completely imagination-less, fearful fumble-ball).

Now, I think I'd just be absolutely mortified, forever, and I'd honestly rather see us get knocked out ASAP so I can enjoy what's left of an otherwise great tournament as a whole. How can you be proud of a turd?
Thought exactly the same thing earlier today...if (that's a very big if :D) England did manage to scrape through an entire tournament I would probably celebrate in the moment. Next day though I could see myself thinking "We won playing utterly turgid / boring / lethargic / defensive / negative (delete as appropriate) football, not really something to be proud of". I guess in my mind if England did win a tournament, I'd assumed we would've played decent football do win it

Thought exactly the same thing earlier today...if (that's a very big if :D) England did manage to scrape through an entire tournament I would probably celebrate in the moment. Next day though I could see myself thinking "We won playing utterly turgid / boring / lethargic / defensive / negative (delete as appropriate) football, not really something to be proud of". I guess in my mind if England did win a tournament, I'd assumed we would've played decent football do win it
I don’t think it’s all doom and gloom. I think in the knockout stages we’re going to be forced to change the way we’re playing. Coasting though the group stages is a lot different than being faced with elimination. So hopefully it will force us to play better or it’s home time.

What a horrible game today from Portugal. Grandpa Ronaldo was worse than Kane, that is, more of a post than a post, hahaha.
Guys, what a beautiful player this Khvicha Kvaratskhelia from Georgia is.

I don't think I ever understand toxic mentality, agresivity and lack of sportsmanship from Turkey. I don't get it, they have such a good football skills but no matter who is an opponent they always perform like that:((

With both France and Belgium failing to finish first in their groups, things are getting very interesting for the Round of 16 of this Euro. They had to face each other in the Round of 16, with the winner possibility facing Portugal and Germany/Spain!
On the other side, a struggling English and Italian side had to overcome the likes of Romania, Austria, Turkiye, and Switzerland.
All four Group E teams are tied on points after both games ended draw, with Ukraine being the victims of this rare "Group of Death" thanks to head-to-head goal differences (Romania +1, Belgium +1, Slovakia -1, Ukraine -2).
Would be very interesting if the underdogs like Austria managed to reach the Final and repeat what Greece did in 2004 by winning the whole thing.

The rules are now so pedantic and inconsistent that VAR is causing more of a mess than it's supposed to clear up. Georgia's penalty essentially comes down to "thou shall not have any contact with any player of any kind in the box" - The most crowded & intense area where contact is inevitable of some kind, thus it should be looked at pragmatically.

If contact was good enough to give Georgia a penalty then it must apply to Ronaldo's shirt pull which had less to do with competitive intent and was clearly dirty play yet ignored? No wonder Ronaldo was furious, not surprising from him but on this occasion he had every right to be.

What are we all predicting for advancement? Any wild predictions?

Here’s what I’ve gone for:

Switzerland v Italy >>> Switzerland 🤔

England v Slovakia >>> England

Romania v Netherlands >>> Netherlands

Austria v Turkey >>> Austria

Germany v Denmark >>> Germany

Spain v Georgia >>> Spain

France v Belgium >>> Belgium 😲

Portugal v Slovenia >>> Portugal

Edit: Changed my mind with The Switzerland Italy match.

Last edited:
My predictions :)

Switzerland v Italy >>> Italy

Romania v Netherlands >>> Romania (rooting hard for the Romanians here! this is more of a "heart" prediction, lol)

Austria v Turkey >>> Turkey

Spain v Georgia >>> Spain (although I'm rooting for Georgia!!)

France v Belgium >>> France

My predictions :)

Switzerland v Italy >>> Italy

Romania v Netherlands >>> Romania (rooting hard for the Romanians here! this is more of a "heart" prediction, lol)

Austria v Turkey >>> Turkey

Spain v Georgia >>> Spain (although I'm rooting for Georgia!!)

France v Belgium >>> France

I was back and forth over Switzerland v Italy but I went for Switzerland in the end. I’m not even sure why, just a feeling.

Here's my Round of 16 predictions of the Euro. Anything is still possible for the underdogs. Will be updated soon for the quarterfinals and semifinals.
-Switzerland vs Italy = Italy
-England vs Slovakia = England (They had a mediocre performance in the group stage, but will bounce back in the KOs)
-Romania vs Netherlands = Netherlands (Although I'm rooting for Romania!!!)
-Austria vs Turkey = Austria
-Germany vs Denmark = Germany (Obviously)
-Spain vs Georgia = Spain (Obviously)
-France vs Belgium = France (A tough matchup, given the mediocre performance for both teams in the group stage, but I'm rooting for France)
-Portugal vs Slovenia = Portugal (Obviously, but last time both sides met each other, Slovenians had won 2-0 and Portugal must not underestimate them)

I would also remember that if this prediction came true, the quarterfinal of this Euro will be a rematches (3 previous Euro Finals and a rematch of the group game):
-Spain vs Germany (Euro 2008 Final)
-Portugal vs France (Euro 2016 Final)
-Italy vs England (Euro 2020 Final)
-Netherlands vs Austria (Group D game of this Euro, plus it will be held in the same stadium)

Here's my Round of 16 predictions of the Euro. Anything is still possible for the underdogs. Will be updated soon for the quarterfinals and semifinals.
-Switzerland vs Italy = Italy
-England vs Slovakia = England (They had a mediocre performance in the group stage, but will bounce back in the KOs)
-Romania vs Netherlands = Netherlands (Although I'm rooting for Romania!!!)
-Austria vs Turkey = Austria
-Germany vs Denmark = Germany (Obviously)
-Spain vs Georgia = Spain (Obviously)
-France vs Belgium = France (A tough matchup, given the mediocre performance for both teams in the group stage, but I'm rooting for France)
-Portugal vs Slovenia = Portugal (Obviously, but last time both sides met each other, Slovenians had won 2-0 and Portugal must not underestimate them)

I would also remember that if this prediction came true, the quarterfinal of this Euro will be a rematches (3 previous Euro Finals and a rematch of the group game):
-Spain vs Germany (Euro 2008 Final)
-Portugal vs France (Euro 2016 Final)
-Italy vs England (Euro 2020 Final)
-Netherlands vs Austria (Group D game of this Euro, plus it will be held in the same stadium)

I agree with England bouncing back. I mean they have to right? It would be a national catastrophe if we got eliminated by Slovakia.

I think we will have some very tough clashes that no one expects, such as Spain and Italy.

*Switzerland v Italy >> very difficult (but I'll take Switzerland)
*England v Slovakia >> I have no idea, I just put England, because someone has to pass, but Slovakia can pass too
*Romania v Netherlands >> Netherlands
*Austria v Turkey >> Austria
*Germany v Denmark >> Germany
*Spain v Georgia >> very difficult (but I'll take Spain) - Rooting for Georgia!
*France v Belgium >> I have no idea, I just put France, because someone has to pass
*Portugal v Slovenia >> very difficult (but I'll take Portugal)

PS: Don't be surprised if they pass: Slovakia, Georgia and Slovenia... Some well balanced games

Back
Top Bottom