UEFA Euro 2008

After playing some matches vs the CPU last night I am not too impressed by the way the human-team must defend. The problem is that attackers are far more agile than in FIFA 08 ( because of the better response ) and that makes that the game is a little in un-balance. It is difficult to defend when an attacker is 1 vs 1 with your defender. As defender you only have the option to keep the attacker in front of you. Tackling or sliding in these situations is out of the question, because then the attacker makes a lightning quick sidestep and your defender is beaten, even the more as most defenders turn slowly in these situations. The only way of tackling is when your defender runs alongside with the attacker; then you can barge the attacker off the ball, but you are not always in the situation to do that.
All of this was already the case in FIFA 08, but it has been worsened because of the higher response in UEFA 2008.

I might miss some kind of way to tackle/sliding well, so if you guys has advices, please let me know :)
I know about jostling, but that makes not much difference, as the problem arises as you step in and tackle...

Last edited:
I just cannot wait to play a full game of this. I really wanna know how good it is and if I'l like it!

After playing some matches vs the CPU last night I am not too impressed by the way human-team must defend. The problem is that attackers are far more agile than in FIFA 08 ( because of the better response ) and that makes that the game is a little in un-balance. It is difficult to defend when an attacker is 1 vs 1 with your defender. As defender you only have the option to keep the attacker in front of you. Tackling or sliding in these situations is out of the question, because then the attacker makes a lightning quick sidestep and your defender is beaten, even the more as most defenders turn slowly in these situations. The only way of tackling is when your defender runs alongside with the attacker; then you can barge the attacker off the ball, but you are not always in the situation to do that.
All of this was already the case in FIFA 08, but it has been worsened because of the higher response in UEFA 2008.

I might miss some kind of way to tackle/sliding well, so if you guys has advices, please let me know :)
I know about jostling, but that makes not much difference, as the problem arises as you step in and tackle...

Han.

Interested to hear your thoughts as I am having difficulty defending in the demo.

However, the way you have described it sounds just like real life footy so isn't that good?!

After playing some matches vs the CPU last night I am not too impressed by the way human-team must defend. The problem is that attackers are far more agile than in FIFA 08 ( because of the better response ) and that makes that the game is a little in un-balance. It is difficult to defend when an attacker is 1 vs 1 with your defender. As defender you only have the option to keep the attacker in front of you. Tackling or sliding in these situations is out of the question, because then the attacker makes a lightning quick sidestep and your defender is beaten, even the more as most defenders turn slowly in these situations. The only way of tackling is when your defender runs alongside with the attacker; then you can barge the attacker off the ball, but you are not always in the situation to do that.

Must admit, I played a few demo matches with my mate and I found it awkward trying to tackle the forwards. I'm used to Han's negative posts about EA football games but I think he does have a point here. The forwards can turn a BIT too easily with the ball meaning it's far too easy to evade tackles, especially slide tackles.

Must admit, I played a few demo matches with my mate and I found it awkward trying to tackle the forwards. I'm used to Han's negative posts about EA football games but I think he does have a point here. The forwards can turn a BIT too easily with the ball meaning it's far too easy to evade tackles, especially slide tackles.

That is one of my biggest fears. I liked how in FIFA things were pretty balanced and was really hard to get past defenders. In FIFA, most of the times you know that if you have the position, you may win the ball when tackling. I thought they would continue this way, but playing the EURO demo I found it wrong from the first time. I really hope FIFA 09 goes again into the balance... Anyway i hope to get the game soon and try it myself, though I don't expect too much out of it. Surely if I could blend FIFA and EURO together the result would be... FIFA 09??

this game is better than the demo

and better than fifa 08 guys

its not to fast at all... sometimes its very slow and build up as just as good as fifa 08

After playing some matches vs the CPU last night I am not too impressed by the way the human-team must defend. The problem is that attackers are far more agile than in FIFA 08 ( because of the better response ) and that makes that the game is a little in un-balance. It is difficult to defend when an attacker is 1 vs 1 with your defender. As defender you only have the option to keep the attacker in front of you. Tackling or sliding in these situations is out of the question, because then the attacker makes a lightning quick sidestep and your defender is beaten, even the more as most defenders turn slowly in these situations. The only way of tackling is when your defender runs alongside with the attacker; then you can barge the attacker off the ball, but you are not always in the situation to do that.

I agree with you, that defending is a little bit harder than in FIFA because of the increased speed/directness.
But so far I can't see an unbalance.

When defending 1 vs 1, I usually jostle to keep the position, and then make an attack by pressing "x" in the right moment. Sliding tacklings indeed need to be placed very carefully, just in real football.

Turning it the way round, when I am attacking, I don't feel that it's too easy to walk through the defense, at least on higher difficulties.

I'm used to Han's negative posts about EA football games but I think he does have a point here.
LOL :D Just do a search to all my posts in this topic and you might be surprised! Apart from that, why should I buy the game if I am always negative towards EA football games. ;)

I agree with you, that defending is a little bit harder than in FIFA because of the increased speed/directness.
But so far I can't see an unbalance.

When defending 1 vs 1, I usually jostle to keep the position, and then make an attack by pressing "x" in the right moment. Sliding tacklings indeed need to be placed very carefully, just in real football.

Turning it the way round, when I am attacking, I don't feel that it's too easy to walk through the defense, at least on higher difficulties.
Well, the unbalance is that timing is VERY critical for making a tackle. The difficulty-degree for getting that right is much higher than making a dribble with an attacker.

People need to try walking through the defense against a human player, because that was an issue in the demo. Bitter just said that some guy did it against him online, and Bitter is a good player.

Dont worry, all players have more agility but with a realistic level, so if you use pressing and stay with your defender on his feet you can get the ball! I have told you guys i use most of Time greece with a allover Power of 75! And its not impossible to win. only it needs more tactical playing!But i use Pressin and often its not Foul...and thats good the Referee is superb! So the game stys fluid not every tackle a Freekick, only from behind fouls, and when you dont go "to the ball"!
When i take france its earier...but good midfielders or defenders often are involved in attacks, so a great Team can be killed when it looses the ball by going forward! One good counter ....and you can get the Goal...like in real footbal!

People need to try walking through the defense against a human player, because that was an issue in the demo. Bitter just said that some guy did it against him online, and Bitter is a good player.

he ran through me like i have never seen before

but it was more shock factor than anything...

henry is super fast so don't let him run at you sort of thing

have not had the problem since

This game improves on the demo in almost every aspect.

I am pleased that the passing and running speed has been toned down a bit but I am disappointed with the reaction times. They are still a slight improvement on Fifa08 but not near as good as they were in the demo. After a few games I already experienced that same irritating feeling I had after I had played so many games of FIFA. The UEFA demo felt as such a relief.

I wish the final game would have had it's current (slightly slower) pace AND the same reaction times as the demo.

Did anyone notice the replays on the ps3 version? They look like they are displayed in 15 frames per second, very choppy.

Dont worry, all players have more agility but with a realistic level, so if you use pressing and stay with your defender on his feet you can get the ball! I have told you guys i use most of Time greece with a allover Power of 75! And its not impossible to win. only it needs more tactical playing!But i use Pressin and often its not Foul...and thats good the Referee is superb! So the game stys fluid not every tackle a Freekick, only from behind fouls, and when you dont go "to the ball"!
When i take france its earier...but good midfielders or defenders often are involved in attacks, so a great Team can be killed when it looses the ball by going forward! One good counter ....and you can get the Goal...like in real footbal!
Okay, true, but that means that all other mentalities ( strategies ) apart from pressing do not work that well. Only pressing and counter. Don't you find that a limitation? It means that this is a point for improvement for future games. You should be able to counter your tactics/strategies toward different opponents and there should not be only one good strategy.

Last edited:
I am pleased that the passing and running speed has been toned down a bit but I am disappointed with the reaction times. They are still a slight improvement on Fifa08 but not near as good as they were in the demo. After a few games I already experienced that same irritating feeling I had after I had played so many games of FIFA. The UEFA demo felt as such a relief.
Oh fuck no, please.

That's the one thing I don't want, I genuinely don't care too much about the speed but if the reactions are the same as FIFA 08 then there really is no point...

Don't think so Han:

"After a few games I already experienced that same irritating feeling I had after I had played so many games"

You don't get that in the demo, which he says himself.

"I wish the final game would have had it's current (slightly slower) pace AND the same reaction times as the demo"

Don't think so Han:

"After a few games I already experienced that same irritating feeling I had after I had played so many games"

You don't get that in the demo, which he says himself.

"I wish the final game would have had it's current (slightly slower) pace AND the same reaction times as the demo"

Yeah, I agree with JB's interpretation.

However, no-one else has mentioned this so.......

Anybody heard anything from Seabass lately?

Not yet. He's still trying to remove that wet kipper I threw at him last October out of his mouth.

Re: a few supposed negatives in Euro 2008.

An attacker 1 on 1 with a defender at international level football will always hold a massive advantage. The defender will always struggle and it actually sounds realistic to me.

The talk about the full game being a little less responsive is a slight worry. But we will always get the doom merchants and the fact that EA pointed out themselves that they wanted to address this issue due to complaints with FIFA 08 would make me feel that some are being a little too critical too quick. I hope so anyway!!

Back
Top Bottom