UEFA Euro 2008

well after i read the start of the second paragraph i gave up

Let's get this out the way - over the past couple of years, the PES franchise has found itself in stasis, with last year's Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 showing all the signs of a series that has fast run out of ideas. Yes, it still plays one of the meanest games of football, but it's becoming an increasingly weak crutch to lean on when its nearest rival FIFA continues to embrace the current generation of hardware with such endearing conviction.

Like i said to Bitter earlier why dont they get PES/Fifa/Football fans to do the reviews instead of a guy that reviews every genre possible? In most of these reviews i bet they dont even change the difficulty level of it

its a joke and im fast becoming sick of shitty game reviewers

I never ever listen to em. Im the one who buys the game, Im the one who decides if I like it. End of

I have 2 questions for the person who got the game today please answer them

What is C.Ronaldo's rating ?

and is there be a pro for online ?

I am from Austria, and I got it from a little software store

I am sure, they have been shipped to the other countries as well, but they might not release them until the 14th

Skylight,

I'd be interested to know if you play the full Euro08 qualifying campaign mode, are you stuck with the real qualifying groups (eg. England's group is always Croatia, Russia, Israel, Macedonia & Andorra) or can you choose to randomise the teams?

Also, how is it to play against the really weak nations like Faroes? Are they really rubbish or do they do lots of perfect passing and perfect defending just like any other better nation?

Thank you.

I'm having trouble watching the GamerTV video someone posted from YouTube then posted the higher quality version of.. got the latest DivX Player with the latest Codecs as far as I know and no joy.. any ideas?

I'm having trouble watching the GamerTV video someone posted from YouTube then posted the higher quality version of.. got the latest DivX Player with the latest Codecs as far as I know and no joy.. any ideas?

Google for VLC Player. It can play almost every format.

Really looking forward to this game! Just a couple of more days now...

that IGN review is very weak. The guy hardly talks about the actual gameplay. It was the same in there FIFA 08 review. honestly I wonder how long the guy actually played the game for.

7.5 graphics. Okay if that is true can someone tell me what they gave PES2008 on the graphcs score.

that IGN review is very weak. The guy hardly talks about the actual gameplay. It was the same in there FIFA 08 review. honestly I wonder how long the guy actually played the game for.

7.5 graphics. Okay if that is true can someone tell me what they gave PES2008 on the graphcs score.
8.0, and they gave the game as a whole 9.2:
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/828/828666p2.html

What a joke, it's because there are IGN abdoards in PES... They are so biased, they gave Fifa 08 7.7...

i was thinking of buying euro08, but today i competely changed my mind, it was great fun playing against cpu, but when i proudly showed the demo to my 2 mates, so that we could experience the game against human, honestly i was so disapointed, & reminded me the reasen i sold fifa08 & other fifa games, coz playing with friends it gets boring & repetitiv very quick.
for me as i love playing turnament with my mates, i have to admit fifa games never give me the same statisfaction that i get when playing pes with friends, no mater how fifa games improve, it will always have that fifa feel to it.
maybe some of u don't agree with me fine, thats ur opinion, and that's mine & my mates opinion.
(note; i am not talking about online as we all know it is a mess)
i don't know maybe we are spoild by playing pes evo for years, possible the best multiplayer game i ever experience in my long gaming cariere;) really that's where pro evo shine, no metter which version or cousel u play it, u ll always have fun & never get bored of it, u have total control of the game and u will have different experience in every match even though proevo08 was big disappointment it still fun multi.
i know maybe its not te right time to be negativ, as i know some of u are really looking faword to get this game, but i had to take that out of my chest as i was waiting to get it my self.

i was thinking of buying euro08, but today i competely changed my mind, it was great fun playing against cpu, but when i proudly showed the demo to my 2 mates, so that we could experience the game against human, honestly i was so disapointed, & reminded me the reasen i sold fifa08 & other fifa games, coz playing with friends it gets boring & repetitiv very quick.
for me as i love playing turnament with my mates, i have to admit fifa games never give me the same statisfaction that i get when playing pes with friends, no mater how fifa games improve, it will always have that fifa feel to it.
maybe some of u don't agree with me fine, thats ur opinion, and that's mine & my mates opinion.
(note; i am not talking about online as we all know it is a mess)
i don't know maybe we are spoild by playing pes evo for years, possible the best multiplayer game i ever experience in my long gaming cariere;) really that's where pro evo shine, no metter which version or cousel u play it, u ll always have fun & never get bored of it, u have total control of the game and u will have different experience in every match even though proevo08 was big disappointment it still fun multi.
i know maybe its not te right time to be negativ, as i know some of u are really looking faword to get this game, but i had to take that out of my chest as i was waiting to get it my self.

where u from ? if england how could u get the game early aka 2day

not gonna argue

I'm smart; you're dumb. I'm big; you're small. I'm right, you're wrong. And there's nothing you can do about it

Over the last few days I have been in 2 minds to to get this game or not. I had it on pre-order with ShopTo but I canceled it today just incase I defiantly dont want it. I just really dont know what to do! the demo is great but will it be worth the money plus GTA is just around the corner

First post, hi all!

Of course you need this game, otherwise you're not going to be playing the best football game on the market for the next six months!!!

Think how much fun you've had since PES or FIFA 08 came out. Now imagine that same time period without having the new best game.

Your choice mate, just curious though - how can you already make a decision on your enjoyment of a game before actually playing it? As we found out with FIFA08 the final build was quite a bit different than the demo.
Also, what exactly is "that fifa feel"? - can you explain what you mean by that? Seriously, I thought 08 played nothing like FIFA anymore and the Euro demo actually felt more like PES.

Over the last few days I have been in 2 minds to to get this game or not. I had it on pre-order with ShopTo but I canceled it today just incase I defiantly dont want it. I just really dont know what to do! the demo is great but will it be worth the money plus GTA is just around the corner

I did the exact same thing today (yesterday now), canceled my pre-order with shopto, I'd surely get it if it was priced like GT5P. Dont know what to do here. Maybe wait for more reviews from guys around here...

Your choice mate, just curious though - how can you already make a decision on your enjoyment of a game before actually playing it? As we found out with FIFA08 the final build was quite a bit different than the demo.
Also, what exactly is "that fifa feel"? - can you explain what you mean by that? Seriously, I thought 08 played nothing like FIFA anymore and the Euro demo actually felt more like PES.

Nothing feels like PES except the responsivness. Fifa always had the "fifa feel"; repetitiveness, exploits, etc. Euro 2008 is responsive, but Players move around like feather weights, all having super agility like Bruce lee. The passing feels good, but the shooting animation looks awkward. Ball physics i think is spot on. But when i see the same goals, saves, etc happening every game after a while i lose all interest. This always happens to me with Fifa btw, first impression is "WHOA" but later it gets dull and it goes on the shelf. Can't see myself buying this add to that the price. If it was GT5P price like someone said i would've considered it but really can't see myself forkin' out full price for half a game.

Skylight,

I'd be interested to know if you play the full Euro08 qualifying campaign mode, are you stuck with the real qualifying groups (eg. England's group is always Croatia, Russia, Israel, Macedonia & Andorra) or can you choose to randomise the teams?

Also, how is it to play against the really weak nations like Faroes? Are they really rubbish or do they do lots of perfect passing and perfect defending just like any other better nation?

Thank you.

you can play qualifying and/or the Euro tournament and choose to play the default teams, or randomize it as you like
so everything is possible :DD

sorry, haven't played enough against weak teams to give an opinion about this

ok, here are some more thoughts (some you might already know from the demo):

first of all I would like to say, that I am a former PES player, who want's a football game to be as real as possible
that's why I changed over to FIFA 08 this year

EURO 2008 makes another step in the right direction

the gameplay is faster and more accurate, physics are perfect
sometimes, I get the feeling, that players turn and move a little bit too fast, but it never gets arcadeish or PES 2008 like :DD

Shooting has been improved and it is a lot easier to score shots from the distance, which is good in my opinion, as it was impossible to score from some positions in FIFA 08

fighting for heading positions also is more intense now, as you can move and jostle a lot more
CPU defenders even miss the ball if you jostle, which leads to many new situations

stadium atmosphere has been tuned a bit (flags in the crowed), but there is still room for improvement
same goes for the sound
more chants would be nice

I like the cut scenes, but the might not please everybody, so an option to control there frequency would have been nice

no 5 vs 5 online, which I don't miss too much, as think it had too many flaws

captain you country is a nice expansion of be a pro
you can create your own player or choose an pro, and start a career in the national team of your choice
there are always three other teammates, which you indirectly fight by gaining a higher rating
I created myself, and played one match for my homecountry
scored the only goal in the first match (as a defender)
it was a great feeling :DD

battle of nations works as follows: you are once allowed to choose a country you represent
when being connected to the EA servers, for every match you participate, you will earn points
no matter what team you play, ratings will be added to the country you chose in the beginning
ratings will be based on your performance, the strenght of your team and the opponents team as well as the difficulty
time will tell if this works out as planned

same goes for the new tournament mode which I couldn't test so far

some additions to what I said yesterday:
on semi-pro the game is still a little bit too easy for experienced players
you will be able to walk trough the defense even when playing Austria ;))
this changes on the higher difficulties, as the defense is a lot more aggressive

as semi-pro is the default difficulity, that's not a bad thing in my opinion
it was to hard in FIFA for beginners

in a nutshell: EURO 2008 gameplay wise is the best football game ever. Period.

The downside: I can't wait to play club teams with the improved gameplay
hope I don't go crazy until FIFA 09:DD

Nothing feels like PES except the responsivness. Fifa always had the "fifa feel"; repetitiveness, exploits, etc. Euro 2008 is responsive, but Players move around like feather weights, all having super agility like Bruce lee. The passing feels good, but the shooting animation looks awkward. Ball physics i think is spot on. But when i see the same goals, saves, etc happening every game after a while i lose all interest. This always happens to me with Fifa btw, first impression is "WHOA" but later it gets dull and it goes on the shelf. Can't see myself buying this add to that the price. If it was GT5P price like someone said i would've considered it but really can't see myself forkin' out full price for half a game.

I think FIFA 08 was the true PES 2008 when it gets to "that football feeling"
I agree, that the price could have been a little bit less, but considering I am not able to play FIFA 08 any more after playing EURO, I will sell it and therefore be able to get EURO relatively cheap

True about Fifa 08. I kinda liked that weightness it had of the players. Don't understand why they went lighter on Euro 2008. Or maybe its just me?

:lmao: PES fanboy!!! :r1

:BY:

Skylight said:
fighting for heading positions also is more intense now, as you can move and jostle a lot more
CPU defenders even miss the ball if you jostle, which leads to many new situations
This new jostling system looks good in the demo and sounds like they've kept it. As Skylight says I bet you get some good situations, where you play a long ball for example and then your striker jostles with the defender causing the defender to miss the ball :)).
Skylight said:
this changes on the higher difficulties, as the defense is a lot more aggressive
That sounds good, agressive is hopefully the right word there, that's what I want from higher difficulty levels - the CPU will actually come and challenge you and actually want to get the ball off you. Rather than just waiting for you to misplace a pass / shot and regain possession.

Overall, this sounds incredible, I really can't wait :)).

lol. Oh c'mon now. I really do miss some good things about PES. Like struggling to control lesser skilled players and such. Don't like seeing all players equally agile. Also how every match feels different from the other.

See, I would say it does on FIFA. Playing against Barcelona is very different to playing against, say, Getafe. There is so much less space on the pitch when you play against Barca as they work harder and close the space down and press you.

Just watched the higher quality G.TV review vid again, I really think this game looks spot on, I think they have slowed the game from the demo, as Jamie says, and it looks pretty spot on :)).

Back
Top Bottom