UEFA Euro 2008

Compared with FIFA08, Euro08 has removed nearly all the teams but added a few minor European nations, removed the management career mode but added a much smaller Euro08 campaign mode, removed the excellent 5v5 on-line but added the completely uninteresting "battle of the nations" . They've made minor tweaks to the gameplay to make it slightly more responsive, so I don't see justification for anything above 8/10. Why should they be praised for making a much smaller game?

GT5 Prologue, albeit I don't like it, costs £25 (£17 at on-line shops). Seems like a reasonable price for half a game. Euro08 should be priced accordingly. Time for an avatar update...

To think we all used to say "it's all about the gameplay"... ;))

It shouldn't be full-price, obviously. I would say £25-£30. But I'll buy it because, unlike all the WEs and PESs, in my opinion, this has BIG gameplay changes as opposed to little ones. I waited years to play with Tranmere and when I finally got them in FIFA 08, they were so much worse than playing with Premier League teams (where there's lots of stadia, lots and lots of commentary lines and the reaction times are slightly better), I actually don't care any more if they're in FIFA 09 or not. So I've learnt my lesson and I don't care if I have to play with Penguin United, as long as the gameplay is good.

It's not all about gameplay. If Euro08 had Commodore 64 gfx, you would be spewing. If you really had to play with Penguin Utd, you'd be saying "wtf is wrong with EA?".

Most importantly for me, 5v5 on-line IS gameplay. It's really all I want from the gameplay. I want as little AI intervention as possible...I want 11v11 with no real AI other than the need to be dealing with each players' attributes.

Guys, I'd love to see the game lower priced as well but the reality is EA isn't doing this simply so for our enjoyment and entertainment $:mrgreen:$
If it was simply FIFA 08 dressed down as a Euro game then I think we would have a serious gripe but obviously they put some work into this and their team of programmers, designers, producers, artists and testers likely didn't offer to do it for less pay cuz it's only Euro ;-)
The way I look at it it is I'm willing to pay regular price for every installment of a game that makes significant improvements over it's predecessor - cripes I can't be the only one here who spent a small fortune religiously purchasing every WE/PES/WE Intl/J-League/WE Liveware game that Konami put out over the last 8 years or so and many of those were worse than the game that came before them (with PES 08 finally putting me off that addiction) :puke:

It's not all about gameplay. If Euro08 had Commodore 64 gfx, you would be spewing. If you really had to play with Penguin Utd, you'd be saying "wtf is wrong with EA?".
I would, definitely, but my Tranmere experience would come back to haunt me and I'd be grateful for having a game where you can play fantastic stuff online, realistic passing and well-worked goals, with the improved reaction times which are desperately needed. So I would get on with it and love the online league we do. I rented PES2008 for this week and the difference is immense, it just shows how far games have come. So I am just grateful at this point in time - although when it's FIFA 09 time I'll be expecting more from them again.

Most importantly for me, 5v5 on-line IS gameplay. It's really all I want from the gameplay. I want as little AI intervention as possible...I want 11v11 with no real AI other than the need to be dealing with each players' attributes.
Can't argue with that. I didn't enjoy 5v5 myself, I can see why others did though. But on this I agree 100% with Bitter, even though it is ridiculous.

they are looking to achieve 11v11 by the next worldcup and they probably know what will or won't work right now

look at 5v5 on fifa 08, it still has problems

until they get 5v5 right there is no point moving to the next step, this is probably being worked on ready for fifa 09, and a fixed, more smooth 5v5 on fifa 09, is as much as i can expect

as for euro 08, i can understand them not implementing it in this version, although 2v2 would of been a nice addition

EA does this all the time. The game really wouldn't be worth the 50-60 dollars once it comes to the states. It's a shame that they can't simply have features in their regular game that has all the official tournaments, including as many countries as possible.

I know, I know, then it would be pointless to market their special EURO or World Cup editions. Too bad it can't be like FIFA 1998 World to the World Cup. =(

as much as i am disappointed at there not being 5v5 or atleast 2v2 online on this game

i still feel they have done enough to capture what this game is intended to do

be a uefa euro 2008 game based on the real event and will be a nice stop gap until fifa 09

as for the price, yes i do agree it could of been £30 and well worth it but as someone made valid points, look at what konami have shifted out over the years and look at how many changes they have made over the previous titles

now look at the changes from fifa 08 to euro 08, there is quite alot of changes in this version compared to fifa 08

ok fifa 08 is a more complete game, but you should be thankful they are not screwing you over like konami do with each installment. imagine they passed euro 08 off as fifa 09.

fifa 09 will atleast have 5v5, and i have full faith it is going to be the best football game to play

as it is now euro 08 is what it is (based on a tournament) and playing a better responsed game online even at 1v1 will be fresh air, as on fifa 08 it is few or far between not only because of the "so called" response issues of fifa 08 but any sign of connection issues "lag" it makes it so much harder

euro 08 should help with these problems and for that alone it should be good enough for online play, not to mention the knockout tournaments and clever way they have implemented the point system to help make better fairer players online

as for offline, i think it will be the first game i will actually play offline, fifa 08 i have not played offline

but euro 08 looks to have enough to fill my boots, be a pro is a dream to play and captain your country is going to be something else

you should all be thankful that you have a taster to what to expect on the road towards fifa 09, as with these improvements added to a full online gaming experience will be just great.

I agree Bitter, EA could just as easily done a Konami and released a game with barely any changes and still made a lot of money from it, but they took the time to actually improve the game -- no complaints from me.

Hello chaps,

I just downloaded the game for the PS3 and think it's great!

I bought Fifa08 and whilst I did enjoy that i just found the change from Pes2008 (PS2) a bit too much to feel comfortable with.

Can I ask for some advice please. I have always played Pro Evo on the default long view, so is there anyway I can replicate something similar in this ??

The Dynamic and Tele mode seem a bit too flat and side-on, whilst the Broadcast view seems like i'm watching from a blimp! Can the angle be changed or can you zoom in and out? (if not on the demo at least on the finished game)

thanking you.

No angle changing in the final game I'm afraid, something that's been lacking for years now. The cameras you get in the demo are the cameras you get in the final product.

Did we know something about the Netherlands license? And will the rest of the european teams (San Marino or the Faroe Islands for example) licensed too? (real kits and so on...)
Did we know anything about that issues?

There's a few teams who aren't licensed due to Konami having the exclusive license. Netherlands is one of those teams, Wales is as well I think?

Nothing EA can do about it though because they're exclusive licenses.

I guess it’s Scotland. But thanks for your answer. It’s a shame to play an official licensed tournament without every team fully licensed.

By the way… hope to see you online playing Everybody’s Golf Jack :)

Last edited:
Yup, it's become increasing clear that they've dropped 5v5 for Euro08. The current reviews of the full game make no mention of it, so it's clearly not in.

The only thing that kept me playing the otherwise piss-poor FIFA08 was 5v5 on-line.

So, I've cancelled my pre-order for Euro08. Fuck EA. Unbelievable cunts. It's almost beyond belief that they'd go so far in their quest to copy Konami that they'd adopt the samre cunt-filled strategy of dropping good features from their games. What a bunch of wankers.

:LOL: I love this post & can't stop reading it. Brilliant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are people going for Gameplay (with the voucher and cheaper price) or ShopTo (who usually get games to you before release day and are very reliable)?

Gameplay sounds good with it being £5 cheaper but are they good at delivering to you before release day?

Gameplay for me are 50/50. Some games do, some games don't. I want it guaranteeing so I'll order off ShopTo.

(Or at least I would, if the guy who runs my local game shop didn't know me and wouldn't be selling me the game on Tuesday or Wednesday :D)

just played "be a pro" for the first time, how good is that.....absolutely love it!!! konami are so far behind with their ideas it's scary

The more I play this demo the more I don't like it... I think I actually prefer Fifa 08.

The more I play this demo the more I don't like it... I think I actually prefer Fifa 08.

Care to elaborate? genuinely interested...........went back to FIFA - noticed that it felt meatier, but AI not as dynamic.....

Somehow feel that in going for faster response times some of the weightiness that i enjoyed of FIFA has gone.....

Wonder if improving response times is the reason behind passing no longer being 360 degrees (or whatever it was) and now just 8 directions....i.e. couldn't compute faster response and free passing at same time (maybe in time for FIFA 09)

I don't really have a problem with the response times in Fifa, I think it's realistic if anything.

When you play football, you don't pass/shoot/tackle exactly when you decide you want to, you do when you can reach the ball/have set yourself etc. When you have to plan ahead, more strategy is brought into the game which I like, I don't want a game where everything is done on the fly with no gameplan or tactics, it seems like that approach is the best one on Euro...

I don't really have a problem with the response times in Fifa, I think it's realistic if anything.

When you play football, you don't pass/shoot/tackle exactly when you decide you want to, you do when you can reach the ball/have set yourself etc. When you have to plan ahead, more strategy is brought into the game which I like, I don't want a game where everything is done on the fly with no gameplan or tactics, it seems like that approach is the best one on Euro...
It's not so much offline that's the problem, it's online. There will always be a lag online but there will be less now because of the response tweak - so online will be a different ball game completely.

Back
Top Bottom