UEFA Euro 2008

I just finished playing my first ten or so games with Euro 08 and I do think it's an improvement.

Trees (the metaphorical ones) were my biggest gripe and they're MASSIVELY improved on this version. So much so that I went with manual passing from my second game through the end and, because players will move to balls, it really made (IMO) full manual gameplay viable. Loved that.

They did not fix the "play on" glitch. I ended doing my very best CW imitation, and manged to fell three Germans in one sequence (but let them keep the ball) and no one got booked.

That sucks.

Also it does play (IMO) about 15% too fast. It's not necessarily "arcadey" but it's awfully darn close.

You'd think with Euro being a "best of the best" tournament, the player models might be a bit more accurate (have you seen Trezeguet?!)

Overall, it's a definite improvement, and if FIFA 09 continues to improve then we might well look at FIFA 08 as the first nail in the PES coffin.

With fewer and fewer folks making PCs their gaming platform of choice, and more folks taking up with consoles, the license factor is going to be increasingly huge IF the gameplay improvements hold up.

If, OTOH, they go with typical EA gameplan of adding flash and textures and graphical "wows" at the expense of gameplay, then the battle for football dominance between PES and FIFA might still end up on PES's side...

99% of the guys here think the opposite way about those through passes... :)

Yes...BUT i am playing his on a tiny non-widescreen TV.

Makes a MASSIVE difference (Seriously) to gameplay speed and general play. Although I love the graphics on my HDTV, I keep the 360 on my little one for fifa and now euro...it made fifa 50 times better with more realistic CPU play and build up speed...seriously the difference was that big.

EG. On the euro demo, myself and several mates of mine WITH Fifa 08 agree that the play is in general SLOWER than F08. I only think the power you can put on the ball is greater..which leads to the ball ping-ponging around which makes it seem super fast and arcadey. The running, although faster...makes no difference because IMO they have increased the size of the pitch. Playing it on a small non-widescreen TV, the pace is perfect, although when I played this on my HDTV, i saw the pacey issues you guys have. Just go out and buy a shit TV. Really the only way to play football games :DD

BTW I believe Jack made quite a detailed post regarding the speed difference on TV's with some conclusions...so refer to his post for reasons why I feel this way.

This is interesting, from the newly released Euro 2008 Factsheet.....

eurospecskm9.jpg

Now why would the PS3 version be for more players both online and offline? Something I'm missing?

Here's the full PDF for download: http://www.mediafire.com/?bz2htmdfjkm

This is interesting, from the newly released Euro 2008 Factsheet.....

eurospecskm9.jpg

Now why would the PS3 version be for more players both online and offline? Something I'm missing?

Here's the full PDF for download: http://www.mediafire.com/?bz2htmdfjkm

14 on-line on PS3?! Does that mean 7 v 7 ?!

Could it be that having a PS3 is finally worthwhile?

Blimey, it's released next week, I still haven't pre-ordered it!

supercancel was spot on in pes and i used to use it to let the ball run across my body, while the opposition ran towards the ball... if i allowed the scripted run of my player to continue, the opponent would tackle me

but using supercancel , i would take full control of the man and stop his scripted run and it was perfect in this type of situation

also for when forwards make there scripted runs away from the ball, i used it to run back to the ball before the defender

this is a neccesaty, and does involve some quick thinking and is sorely missed in fifa and euro

Yeah I agree, I used super cancel a lot as well, it was very useful for a lot of things; Getting to the ball in front of an attacker (when defending), putting a defender in a better position, getting the ball ahead of a defender (when attacking), letting the ball go out of play, letting the ball run on into space instead of the player stopping it and running with it, shot feints, when you change your mind about shooting/passing... It was such a good thing to do and it made you a lot better if you could master it.
It would be very good to have in any football game...

Oh great, there's a difference between the PS3 and 360 versions. Which means I can't pre-order until I find out what the difference is.

Hurry up and spill the beans EA.

The gameplay on both is the same, so that's all that matters to me really.
If it is 7v7 on PS3 that just gives you more chance of there being at least one twat who will score own goals/piss about/ball hog/pause the game... It happens a lot on Fifa as it is.

I also think that the graphik is better on the 360. I compared both and it seems that the colours on the 360 are better (also the pitch)

Oh great, there's a difference between the PS3 and 360 versions. Which means I can't pre-order until I find out what the difference is.

Hurry up and spill the beans EA.

And play online tournies with randoms? If you wanna play with the Evo Web lot it has to be the 360 version.

Anyway I'm sure it realtes to how many people on the same console. The 360 can only have 4 while the PS3 can have more as far as I'm aware and them it's just doubled for console v console games. The likely hood of 7 people on one console is very rare as is 4 in most cases so I can't see it making any difference.

Last edited:
You can have eight pads connected to a PS3 at once, I've seen an old PES running on it with eight players. Player five has lights 1+4 lit (1+4 = 5), player six has 2+4 lit (2+4 = 6), etc... Not sure if you can do that on a 360, but saying that, as JayD said, you're not going to have eight mates around at once very often.

It's just the online bit that worries me. 1-14 compared to 1-8.

You can have eight pads connected to a PS3 at once, I've seen an old PES running on it with eight players. Player five has lights 1+4 lit (1+4 = 5), player six has 2+4 lit (2+4 = 6), etc... Not sure if you can do that on a 360, but saying that, as JayD said, you're not going to have eight mates around at once very often.

It's just the online bit that worries me. 1-14 compared to 1-8.

The fact that it's doubled from the offline amount definitely sugeests it's just max at one console against another.

You could in theory have a 7v7 (maybe 8v8) match on Fifa on PS3 online, if both players had 8 pads and a load of mates round because you can play with guests on the same console.

I'm pretty sure that's what it would mean anyway, it is unlikely that you even have 2 people on the same console let alone 8, and even then, 8 sixaxis controllers for PS3 would cost around £240 (about £30 each)...

Xbox Live is too good for EA to let the inferior PSN have more online players (at different consoles) playing at a time...

I went off PES becuase it was becoming Arcadey

and now in Fifa have made a new instalment thats gone completely the opposite way to the realism we had in 08

we all know PES at it best was scripted and you could pass around the pitch with one hand, Euro is a big step in that same direction for me and that is very bad for people who like the realism of Fifa 08

Fifa08 = realistic ???

It's funny to read those sentecies...

In Fifa08 responsiveness is ridicolous, goals from long range impossible to score, headers won by 1,50 cm players against 1,90 cm defenders, keepers too strong in certain situations and poor on crosses and high balls, defenders that don't kick the ball away in danger situations ecc ecc ecc

Is that REAL foottball ??

I don't think so.

Euro 08 is better in every single aspect..and if you play against a human you could fight in midfield and at the same time you could perform great skills in order to beat defenders and score incredible goals (there is much variety of shooting and offence situations).

p.s: sorry for my english (i'm from italy)

In Fifa08 responsiveness is ridicolous, goals from long range impossible to score, headers won by 1,50 cm players against 1,90 cm defenders, keepers too strong in certain situations and poor on crosses and high balls, defenders that don't kick the ball away in danger situations ecc ecc ecc

1. Goals from long range are pretty easy actually, I've scored plenty.

2. Keepers in PES can have the ball morph through their chest and into the net, is that realistic?

3. Compared to PES Fifa is extremely realistic, sure it's not as 100% realistic as it could be but it's moving in the right direction, unlike PES.

It will be an interesting couple of years. PES has had a kick in the bollocks and FIFA has been given lots of support for having improved the gameplay so much.

Just out of interest, does anybody know how well WE did in Japan? I have no idea if they saw it as a disgrace (the same as Europe did as a whole) or as another brilliant game...

Jack I not sure what the people thought but it still got good magazine reviews. The PS3 version didnt sell that great though. People still seem happy to stay with the PS2 game.

Interesting, I wonder if that's because it was considered the better game or if it's because the PS3 isn't going down too well?

Back
Top Bottom