UEFA Euro 2008

I've spent the afternoon playing PES2008 - shock horror. After playing the Euro 08 demo I couldn't go back to playing FIFA with it's shocking reaction times (and button-presses being completely ignored on occasion). So I rented PES2008 from Blockbuster, to give me something to play until Euro 08 comes out in two weeks.

I won't go on about how bad the game is because it'll just start a fanboy war (and this turns into a positive post at the end, read on). All I'll say is that I've got it for a week but I won't be playing it again after today, it is shockingly bad IMO. But I have actually gained some positivity from renting the game.

The one and only thing I like about the game (excluding the referees who are practically perfect), is the shooting. Not so much the mechanics of it, but the fact that you can score some pretty great goals. Bear in mind the last time I played PES2008 was the day after it came out, so I'm not going to know any exploits or "sweet spots", but I had a shot as I was running into the side of the box - from a position that would always lead to a save and a corner in FIFA 08, guaranteed - and it actually went into the net. The keeper dived low, I shot high, and his outstretched hand couldn't get to it.

It felt completely natural, I took a good shot and it went in, as it would in real life, but in FIFA it's always saved. It made me realise, like a smack in the face, that the shooting in FIFA is a bit wonky. Well, not so much the shooting, but the goalkeepers, who are either pulling off wondersaves or facing the crowd behind them and sticking their arse out. In FIFA it's the same save from the same situation practically (if not literally) 100% of the time.

As I say, I really dislike the rest of the game - sticky-feet passing, poor teammate AI and the ridiculous speed of the game. But having played it for an hour or two, I decided to put the Euro 08 demo in for a quick comparison.

The speed felt just right (obviously it feels too fast after playing FIFA, and it is too fast I'm sure, but after playing PES it didn't feel unrealistic at all), the passing was neat and crisp - but what shocked me the most?

I scored exactly the same goal that I'd just scored in PES.

I ran into the box from the side, ran back just a bit to widen the angle, then did the shot that would always result in a corner on FIFA. The keeper dived low but with his hands up, the shot went high, and it was a goal.

It felt completely natural and 100% realistic. It just felt so sweet to hit a shot that fooled the goalkeeper, and even more so because you knew that was something that wouldn't have happened before.

People will say "but what if you score ten per game" - bear in mind the way that algorithms work, things are stretched the longer the timespan of a game is. So in a two-minute half the game is going to encourage goals, otherwise every game would be 0-0 when you only have 120 seconds to score. Increase that to a five-minute half or longer and things will change, if the game has been programmed correctly (and of course that's not guaranteed, but I am quietly hopeful).

I'm so looking forward to the game now after the feeling I got when scoring that goal. I want to say "it was just like scoring in the old PES games" but it wasn't - it felt absolutely organic. It was better.

EDIT: Shortly after this I played a FIFA league match and conceded two goals within ten minutes, both goals being the same goal I concede almost every game. Shot hits the post, keeper lies down, defenders stand around and watch as the rebound is tapped into an empty net.

I officially hate FIFA 08 now and I cannot wait to get rid of it.

Last edited:
I've been playing PES2008 too and it's not as bad as I used to think. I just got a new computer so I can run it at full LOD with no slowdown, and with the championship patch I'm actually having fun in ML.

Speed at right balance for me its certainly not at the levels of Laurel and Hardy PES speed.

But i feel you should be able to have option on game speed you prefer. :))

I'm excited for the euro 2004 scenario mode. Hopefully euro 2004 kits will be available as well. I'd like to play with Zidane. anyone know more about this mode.

Scenario mode will feature classic matchups using current players, for example it may include England v Germany Semi Final from Euro 96 but the players on both sides will be the current England and German squads, that's how it was done in UCL.

I've spent the afternoon playing PES2008 - shock horror. After playing the Euro 08 demo I couldn't go back to playing FIFA with it's shocking reaction times (and button-presses being completely ignored on occasion). So I rented PES2008 from Blockbuster, to give me something to play until Euro 08 comes out in two weeks.

I won't go on about how bad the game is because it'll just start a fanboy war (and this turns into a positive post at the end, read on). All I'll say is that I've got it for a week but I won't be playing it again after today, it is shockingly bad IMO. But I have actually gained some positivity from renting the game.

The one and only thing I like about the game (excluding the referees who are practically perfect), is the shooting. Not so much the mechanics of it, but the fact that you can score some pretty great goals. Bear in mind the last time I played PES2008 was the day after it came out, so I'm not going to know any exploits or "sweet spots", but I had a shot as I was running into the side of the box - from a position that would always lead to a save and a corner in FIFA 08, guaranteed - and it actually went into the net. The keeper dived low, I shot high, and his outstretched hand couldn't get to it.

It felt completely natural, I took a good shot and it went in, as it would in real life, but in FIFA it's always saved. It made me realise, like a smack in the face, that the shooting in FIFA is a bit wonky. Well, not so much the shooting, but the goalkeepers, who are either pulling off wondersaves or facing the crowd behind them and sticking their arse out. In FIFA it's the same save from the same situation practically (if not literally) 100% of the time.

As I say, I really dislike the rest of the game - sticky-feet passing, poor teammate AI and the ridiculous speed of the game. But having played it for an hour or two, I decided to put the Euro 08 demo in for a quick comparison.

The speed felt just right (obviously it feels too fast after playing FIFA, and it is too fast I'm sure, but after playing PES it didn't feel unrealistic at all), the passing was neat and crisp - but what shocked me the most?

I scored exactly the same goal that I'd just scored in PES.

I ran into the box from the side, ran back just a bit to widen the angle, then did the shot that would always result in a corner on FIFA. The keeper dived low but with his hands up, the shot went high, and it was a goal.

It felt completely natural and 100% realistic. It just felt so sweet to hit a shot that fooled the goalkeeper, and even more so because you knew that was something that wouldn't have happened before.

People will say "but what if you score ten per game" - bear in mind the way that algorithms work, things are stretched the longer the timespan of a game is. So in a two-minute half the game is going to encourage goals, otherwise every game would be 0-0 when you only have 120 seconds to score. Increase that to a five-minute half or longer and things will change, if the game has been programmed correctly (and of course that's not guaranteed, but I am quietly hopeful).

I'm so looking forward to the game now after the feeling I got when scoring that goal. I want to say "it was just like scoring in the old PES games" but it wasn't - it felt absolutely organic. It was better.

EDIT: Shortly after this I played a FIFA league match and conceded two goals within ten minutes, both goals being the same goal I concede almost every game. Shot hits the post, keeper lies down, defenders stand around and watch as the rebound is tapped into an empty net.

I officially hate FIFA 08 now and I cannot wait to get rid of it.

Fantastic post :))

LOL at jack.. you change your mind so much, hahahha
Let me just comment on this because I'm sick of hearing it now, no offence...

PES2008 I have always thought was crap, nothing has changed there.

FIFA 08 I loved up until the point where you know the game's faults inside out - happens with every game.

The Euro 08 demo I have always loved, nothing has changed there, except now I appreciate the shooting as well as the response times. But when I know all of the game's faults I will hate it - but it won't matter because FIFA 09 will be out. :)

I agree with Jacks post, ready to move to Euro (but a month after you guys..., hopefully when its released in the US I can get my spot back in the league :w00t::oooh::DANCE:)

Just had something very realistic happen to me on the demo:
I had the ball with Anelka, noticed Henry in space behind (about 25 yards out) and passed it to him, with Henry I whacked it first time and it flew into the near corner at pace, I thought it was a keeper mistake but when I looked at the replay I noticed that the ball curved a lot and the keeper went towards the wrong side, then the momentum meant he couldn't get over quick enough to the side where the ball swerved to save the shot.
Looked very realistic.

Just had something very realistic happen to me on the demo:
I had the ball with Anelka, noticed Henry in space behind (about 25 yards out) and passed it to him, with Henry I whacked it first time and it flew into the near corner at pace, I thought it was a keeper mistake but when I looked at the replay I noticed that the ball curved a lot and the keeper went towards the wrong side, then the momentum meant he couldn't get over quick enough to the side where the ball swerved to save the shot.
Looked very realistic.
Would have loved to have seen that.

If that happens to anyone else, take a video (or post a link to something similar if you know of one) - that sounds brilliant.

I was thinking of using my phone to take a video, but decided against it because the quality would have been crap.

It was very impressive to say the least, never seen anything like that before in a football game.

I finally got to try Euro 2008, and this game definitely addressed my gripes about FIFA08. The response is great, the ball feels like it has some weight to it, the players motion feels crisp. The game feels brilliant, and it's only a demo!

Once I can exchange my PS3, I will definitely want to invest in this game since I could never get into FIFA!

Going from EURO 2008 and then finally also trying the PES2008 demo, man, it only lasted 2 games, then I had to delete it. Sad really since I LOVED WE/PES games.

EURO, man, this game is fun, looks great and just plays awesome!

Exact same thing happened to me the other day Rob. Took a long first time shot with Henry and it FLEW into the corner but the keeper didn't move. I though "oh here we go crap keepers again" but watched the replay and the ball literally curved at the last minute into the corner . It was going straight so wrong footed the keeper. After that I have to say I almost came.

I now play the demo on everything manual except shooting on Semi and it's amazing. It becomes so much more difficult and you have to build your attacks more because not every pass is perfect.

how often are you playing it oli

Exact same thing happened to me the other day Rob. Took a long first time shot with Henry and it FLEW into the corner but the keeper didn't move. I though "oh here we go crap keepers again" but watched the replay and the ball literally curved at the last minute into the corner . It was going straight so wrong footed the keeper. After that I have to say I almost came.

I now play the demo on everything manual except shooting on Semi and it's amazing. It becomes so much more difficult and you have to build your attacks more because not every pass is perfect.

I just can't play the demo anymore. It's like a great tease. Can't wait for the game so i can play full 10 min halves with everything on manual.

..one other minor thing I've noticed, playing _lots_ o' matches with Euro 08 now, is that the "jostle" seems a bit improved.

With FIFA 08, "jostling" for headers was (for me) simply holding LT and moving towards the ball. I've found myself _overrunning_ quite a few balls with that mentality in Euro 08. That's a nice twist, making jostling a bit more of a chess game.

The other thing that I've noticed is that for a Euro competition (I mean, every defender is considered the best their country has to offer) is that the marking on defense seems to be particularly ass poor. I've had the CPU score more than a few goals against me where my guys just abandon their marking of the striker.

It's still too fast, but I don't think I'll ever tire of that brilliant confetti, nor the fact that as soon as Euro 08 comes out in the States, my "house rules" can finally move to all manual games.

(BTW...the "play on" bug not being sorted is still absolute crap, which, on a related note, I seem to be having far more "serious" injuries in Euro 08 - injuries where players _have_ to come off. If this is really the case, and the play on bug continues, that could really suck...)

Cheers.

Scenario mode will feature classic matchups using current players, for example it may include England v Germany Semi Final from Euro 96 but the players on both sides will be the current England and German squads, that's how it was done in UCL.
They should just call it scenario mode then, I think that is both a let down and dumb

i'm the same as jack

bought pes2008 on release date.....then got rid after a few weeks because i just couldn't handle how fast it was

bought fifa 08, absolutely loved it....played it all the time until i downloaded and played the euro 2008 demo.....now fifa 08 has been sold on ebay and i play the demo to death....just waiting impatiently now for euro 2008

also two weeks ago i bought pro evo 2008 again on ebay to give it another chance....sold it two days ago ha ha.....awful game!!

To me Euro 2008 demo is a huge step in the right direction. Sure it's possibly too easy but how can anyone make a judgement on the difficulty of the game when they've only played it on semi-pro - clearly the full version has immense potential.

The point is that, yes, Fifa 08 is an unbelievably accurate simulation of football (albeit with some flaws) but who really wants that? I'd rather have a fun game that allows me to use my reading of the game to the best possible advantage through a responsive control system and accurate passing - that's why I played 6 PES games (yes of course I am biased but who isn't).

If we concede that EA aren't going to achieve perfection in their gameplay in Fifa 09, I'd rather they worked from a game that was too easy (yet fulfilled the above criteria) than one that was too hard and, effectively, too boring. There's nothing worse than a so called 'simulation' that doesn't allow you to simulate your own thoughts!

They need to keep this responsiveness, keep the passing accuracy and split the tricks into 2 tiers - ones which require the analog stick (ie very flashy expert ones that we hardly ever see (eh flip flaps etc) and ones which can be activated much more easily (ie through standard left analogue stick movement and shoulder button ala PES). It seems ridiculous that stepovers are so hard to perform and BF feints, which are only ever pulled off very quickly as a means of escaping a challenge, require such a complex button tap.

Anyway - as rightly said in an earlier post, they're effectively plagiarising PES but that's surely a good thing - why on earth would any of us even be on an 'evo' web forum if it wasn't?!

Yeah that is very annoying on Fifa, as are the same few commentary lines they use for when advantage is played...

Why not play the advantage? Keep the game alive!

Maybe we don't see it enough Martin, that's the thing!

Last edited:
Why not play the advantage? Keep the game alive!

methinks you're kidding jack, but I'll play along.

It should "play on" but it should return to book the offending player at the next natural stoppage (as all quality footy games have done for years).

Otherwise the game can (cough, CW, cough) turn into a "scorched earth" defense, where you just fell every attacker and then lay off a bit with the next nearest defender, killing their attack and allowing your own defenders time to recover. However, because you never took possession, you never get booked.

If you mean me, then "no."

Though I wish sometimes I did... ;)

The commentary in the Euro 08 demo is terrible, but I expect commentary is something that one would reasonably expect to be greatly improved in the full game, with a larger library of phrases....(particularly given a far fewer number of teams)

Back
Top Bottom