UEFA Euro 2008

Im 30 year old.:D And im so pissed cause i ll have to wait more than a month after the european release to get my game!!!! WTF!!! Why all this time???? Fu#$ usa console....

i am also with the guys who are excited and liking this game..

i find it isn't as quick as people are making out, you can slow the play down with your passing build up, and it can also feel like there are different tempos to this game

i.e play against someone who wants to hit you, pes style (attack attack), and you can kill his game by playing build up and hit him on the break

it can work both ways and i quite like it

shooting with the finese buttons is just great, i am using semi and i am hitting them from all angles and even chipping the keeper with them

it feels so right shooting, as if i was hitting ball myself you have so much more control over it i think

I think you're right there, Bitter. I've been able to play both styles of play (slow, patient build-up and a fast-paced counter) on Euro much better than 08. The slower build-up feels better in Euro than in 08, even with the slightly faster gameplay also.

I think you're right there, Bitter. I've been able to play both styles of play (slow, patient build-up and a fast-paced counter) on Euro much better than 08. The slower build-up feels better in Euro than in 08, even with the slightly faster gameplay also.

Yeah you can build up, but there isn't any reason since players aren't closing down and gaps between defenders are very big. Both are huge flaws and ruining otherwise pretty nice game.

If it would offer more teams and playing I would prolly still buy it and hope that in hardest skilllevels and against good opponents they would do those things better. But since it's just about Euro teams and I think it's more or less moneymilking I won't.

It's a Euro tourny,hence Euro teams! and all the negative comments for an unfinished work,that makes sense,ofcourse it does!;))

The ones being negative are the FIFA 08 league's "Top Boys"

I wonder if they are worried of losing there crowns? :oooh:

i was 2nd in top lge this season just gone, and i am up there again this season..

and i am not being negative, so that blows that one out of the water

lol sorry cammey :BY:

Negativety? People overhere are very forgiving if they see something they dont like in UEFA 2008.

I'm not :TWIST:.

I don't like the regular single-player mode at all...too much reliance of PES style cpu cheats, albeit they are more subtle than PES had become.

However, the be-a-pro mode is great fun and a great boon for the single-player side of the game. I'm now genuinely looking forward to playing "Captain your country".

And that's not to mention the real beauty of the game, the excellent on-line play. FIFA08 5v5 was great but improved responses in Euro08 will make it even better.

JackBauer said:
Only two weeks to go from this Friday

Cool!! It hadn't registered with me that it's so close to release.

It's a Euro tourny,hence Euro teams! and all the negative comments for an unfinished work,that makes sense,ofcourse it does!;))

Well it's about Euro 2008, but it doesn't mean it couldn't be about lets say, African Nations as well... I'm so bored that other continents are so missrepresented in these games. And I'm european, who love european football.

And about unfinished work, should every1 just say "it's great game" or "it's just demo, everything will be fine in the final release". Sorry but if something is bad in demo you can't be sure that it will be good in final game. Demo is marketing piece of game and since it's already quite close to release the isn't much of what to do before release. And surely they can't make big tweaking for gameplay, but just some adjustments.

As soon as they will move over to 11vs11 onlinegaming, then these kind of things which I mentioned won't matter. Till then, those does a lot.

Maybe it seems that I don't like the game. But I do. The thing is prefer Fifa in terms of simulation. That's a fun game, but to me there a huge flaws in the core gameplay now that make my eyes hurt when I play. Specially things related to space, skill and pace.

About Space: A lot of people have already mentioned the absurd distance between lines, the lack of players closing down the opponents and the easyness of winning the wing because defenses just don't cover the space effectively.

About pace: People says it's only 6% faster "so it's not that much". "Fifa was only a tad slower", etc... But the pace of the game is not only the speed at which you can run, but the sum of pin-point passing, too effective through balls, space (as covered in the previous paragraph) and lack of skill to make effective dribbles. The reality is that there's been a huge change of pace in the game, even if only achieved by small increases in all the areas.

About skill: The game is too forgiving. Passing is almost perfect even if you're not facing at all your target, even if you pass to someone who is at your back and your player couldn't see. Long passing feels nice, but it's too accurate. Through passes are too easy to do. Yes, in Fifa were all straight, but were harder to pull off, you had to find the right moment and space and have a little luck, but it could be mastered. That doesn't mean to hit a thorugh ball everytime. In real life, through balls are hardly effective most of the time. Dribbling doesn't require any timing, you could just change direction like a mad men and you player will have the ball glued to the feet, and won't loose balance, and he won't even be pushed. Players can be tackled, but can't be only pushed. Concluding, there's little skill involved in the core mechanics.

The result is that build up is an option, and as a fan/player/spectator of football I strongly feel it shouldn't be an option, but a must. And when you can do what you want almost everytime without punishment, then there's no reward. Fifa had too much punishment, but this one has no reward.

Ask yourself if while playing this game you have once thought: "I would do a through pass here between defenders, but I know that my player, who happens to be a strong but low skilled full back, has very low passing stats and will most probably fail the pass, so I better do a short and secure pass to a closer midfielder". And how many times you did the pass anyway and how many times you succeeded.

Cheers, I'm 33.

Last edited:
Maybe it seems that I don't like the game. But I do. The thing is prefer Fifa in terms of simulation. That's a fun game, but to me there a huge flaws in the core gameplay now that make my eyes hurt when I play. Specially things related to space, skill and pace.

About Space: A lot of people have already mentioned the absurd distance between lines, the lack of players closing down the opponents and the easyness of winning the wing because defenses just don't cover the space effectively.

About pace: People says it's only 6% faster "so it's not that much". "Fifa was only a tad slower", etc... But the pace of the game is not only the speed at which you can run, but the sum of pin-point passing, too effective through balls, space (as covered in the previous paragraph) and lack of skill to make effective dribbles. The reality is that there's been a huge change of pace in the game, even if only achieved by small increases in all the areas.

About skill: The game is too forgiving. Passing is almost perfect even if you're not facing at all your target, even if you pass to someone who is at your back and your player couldn't see. Long passing feels nice, but it's too accurate. Through passes are too easy to do. Yes, in Fifa were all straight, but were harder to pull off, you had to find the right moment and space and have a little luck, but it could be mastered. That doesn't mean to hit a thorugh ball everytime. In real life, through balls are hardly effective most of the time. Dribbling doesn't require any timing, you could just change direction like a mad men and you player will have the ball glued to the feet, and won't loose balance, and he won't even be pushed. Players can be tackled, but can't be only pushed. Concluding, there's little skill involved in the core mechanics.

The result is that build up is an option, and as a fan/player/spectator of football I strongly feel it shouldn't be an option, but a must. And when you can do what you want almost everytime without punishment, then there's no reward. Fifa had too much punishment, but this one has no reward.

Cheers, I'm 33.

please come back to us when you play on pro or world class

can anyone remember the time difference between fifa 08 demo and the final release?

was it a similar time frame to euro 08 demo to the final release?

as there was a noticable improvement from the fifa demo to the final release

edit: ok the fifa demo was on the 13th september, and the final release was Sep 28

so a similar time scale as the euro 08 demo, and look at the gameplay tweak difference between the fifa demo to the final release..

Last edited:
please come back to us when you play on pro or world class

As mentioned you can always compare FIFA 08 semi-pro and see the diffrence.

And otherwise it should be EA's job to convince us those things are ok in higher skilllevels(give option to choose harder skilllevel or otherwise convince us) not our job to just trust blindly(in this case hope) those things are good.

Very good post drekkard and I agree on every point.

as there was a noticable improvement from the fifa demo to the final release[/S]
edit: ok the fifa demo was on the 13th september, and the final release was Sep 28

so a similar time scale as the euro 08 demo, and look at the gameplay tweak difference between the fifa demo to the final release..

I did play the demo, but can't remember anything so drastic happening.

for one, the difficult setting was altered, and the speed of the game was slightly altered, speeded up a little if i remember correctly?

can anyone confirm?

besides that, i have read a few times that there is no midfield battle on euro 08, and big gaps in defence etc which makes it easy to attack

i think that once you can adjust the teams mentality (currently you cannot), this will help both of those issues

on fifa 08, if you play a deep back line and dont have closing down turned on, that can leave big gaps in the midfield and space for attackers to pick the ball up in front of your back line

if you set your team to full pitch team press and high line, this will squeeze the back 4 and get all players to press , which stops all the space, but does leave gaps in behind etc

i think these once in the final build of euro 08, will help

As mentioned you can always compare FIFA 08 semi-pro and see the diffrence.

And otherwise it should be EA's job to convince us those things are ok in higher skilllevels(give option to choose harder skilllevel or otherwise convince us) not our job to just trust blindly(in this case hope) those things are good.

Very good post drekkard and I agree on every point.

I did play the demo, but can't remember anything so drastic happening.

yes its harder on fifa semi pro cause the shit repsonse times make the game harder..... i dont like something i consider a bug and or glitch or poorly implemented feature to be considered good defending AI....

I see the points drekkard mentioned, too. But we still can not say how the higher difficulties are balanced.

For a rewarding single player experience you can switch to manual, it should be harder/more rewarding to pass/cross/shoot then.
In a multi player match you have to play against fair mates who also use manual...

I really enjoy the demo, but we have to wait for the full version to do a review:
- how balanced is the game when you play longer matches/higher difficulties (I've won one game 7:1) ?
- do different players/teams really feel different ?

what I can see from the demo:
- ball physics improved
- AI improved
- animations improved

I'd say the future's looking at least brighter then it did last year....

I've just seen this on Wikipedia:

# 53 national teams, although The Netherlands are absent.
# Realistic National Coaches for all teams

1) How unrealistic... no Holland. If it means 53 national teams, does this include Montenegro, who actually couldn't qualify for EURO 2008 as Serbia took the place of Serbia and Montenegro?

2) Is it McClaren or Capello? If it's McClaren... please, please, please have his umbrella!

I really enjoy the demo, but we have to wait for the full version to do a review:
- how balanced is the game when you play longer matches/higher difficulties (I've won one game 7:1) ?
- do different players/teams really feel different ?

I suggest you to replace all the star players from the France starting eleven and put in the shittiest players available, now sit back and watch the difference..

1) How unrealistic... no Holland. If it means 53 national teams, does this include Montenegro, who actually couldn't qualify for EURO 2008 as Serbia took the place of Serbia and Montenegro?

It's 52 not 53, and Holland, Iceland, Wales, Faroe Islands will probably be in there just unlicensed.

2) Is it McClaren or Capello? If it's McClaren... please, please, please have his umbrella!

It's McClaren, as seen in trailers.

I've not got the demo yet, but I'm gonna look at your reviews before buying it on April 11th. I think that's the release date.

Though all the comments here are saying it's good so I'm likely to get it! I loved Euro 2004.

1) Licencing issues always come up with Holland, pain in the arse. Though I'd like to think they'd not be able to get away with Euro 2008 and not have Holland in there at all, surely?

2) McLaren apparantly.

Back
Top Bottom