UEFA Euro 2008

I read on here the other day about somebody stating that there were no puddles on the PS3 and that the faces would make the game better. I argued that faces wouldn't make the game better but he came back with it would be more realistic. Fair enough but not that big a deal (to me anyway).
So speaking of realistic, who has seen big puddles on pitches in real life stand out like they do on the 360 version? Down the parks maybe but not watching on the TV.
The puddles look bloody stupid on the 360 demo and I hope they don't make it to the full release on the PS3. Happy to have the weather effects but lets be honest, they do look daft.

I read on here the other day about somebody stating that there were no puddles on the PS3 and that the faces would make the game better. I argued that faces wouldn't make the game better but he came back with it would be more realistic. Fair enough but not that big a deal (to me anyway).
So speaking of realistic, who has seen big puddles on pitches in real life stand out like they do on the 360 version? Down the parks maybe but not watching on the TV.
The puddles look bloody stupid on the 360 demo and I hope they don't make it to the full release on the PS3. Happy to have the weather effects but lets be honest, they do look daft.

I feel exactly the same - the puddles look ridiculous. Any top stadium now would not have puddles like that.

The fact this game plays more like pro evo is no bad thing....fifa's presentation and pro's original (not this terrible next gen incarnation) gameplay equals - for me - the holy grail of football games. I will buy this and fifa 09 just to support EA for innovating in the football game market. the benchmark appears to have been raised again and konami are now even further behind.

I hope they answer the challenge.

All EA need to do now the core gameplay mechanics are eraching are truly enjoyable level is sort the bl00dy net animations!:((:((:((:((:((:((:((:((

nets seem perfect to me

Burnley v Barnsley saturday gone,mud puddles and shit everywhere,can't you just enjoy the game son?

I feel exactly the same - the puddles look ridiculous. Any top stadium now would not have puddles like that.
Is the Wankdorf Stadium that advanced a stadium? (That's not being nasty, I genuinely don't know)

Bear in mind Euro 2008 is being hosted in Austria & Switzerland, not Japan with super-drainage-fields and robo-hoovers.

- Responsiveness: When people talk about reaction times, I assume they talk about button responsiveness. Reaction times in this game are overdone and very unrealistic (more later) but responsiveness of the controls is very good.

Now for the negatives. I'm really disappointed about all these things:

- Gameplay: They have broken gameplay in my oppinion. You can run and dribble all around, there's no skill involved in dribbling, tricks are supereasy to do, through passing is too effective and it's not necessary at all to build up play. I've played CPU & Humans (some of my friends don't fit in "human" category) and this game will turn into a scoring fest. I score 3 or more goals evey time I want, being the cpu or humans.
The game is too unbalanced towards offensive game. Also, there is too much space between lines in the teams. You pass to your striker and he's only challenged by the full back, I don't see the density of players I liked in fifa 08 and my feeling is just that, players receive and have too much space around them in every situation.

- Physics: Ball physics are good, but body challenges are dramatically missing. There's almost no contact. You can't pressure your opponent, you simply tackle or run behind your opponent. When a big full back is about to be run by a fast player, you can't play the physical contact at all, you can't push from behind, when you press "tackle" button, your player can be 1 inch off the opponent and do nothing (dribbling is too easy even in small spaces). Maybe you don't win the ball, but AT LEAST by positioning in front of a player you should be a threat to his possession. In this demo, it's uber easy to go throught defenders unchallenged.

- Pace: Definitely too fast. Mainly because the combination of different factors: players can run too much, absolut lack of physical contact, too fast reactions and perfect-passing.

- Positioning: Players were perfect in position in fifa 08, now they're quite dumb. Playing the cpu, you simply pass around and finally find the winger free. It's SUPER easy to break defenses and find holes. There's not much skill involved. That's been one of my biggest disappointments with the game.

- Passing: Too precise. Even if the target is 30 meters away or between opponents, you simply press "pass" and it's done. It deeply affects gameplay in a bad way, because not much skill is involved. Passing from your full back to your striker is too easy. Oh, and thet'es still too much scripting in the passing routines, even in full manual.

- Shooting: Too easy to score screamers. Most shots are dangerous even if you were unbalanced, moving or so... Fiufa 08 was more punishing with this details and I liked how the ball could go really off target (even to the corner flag) if you were unbalanced or with a player with low shooting stats. The shooting in this game reminds me a lot of the one in pes6.

- Difficulty: People often talk about difficulty in general. There's 2 different things: difficulty of the gameplay and AI. The AI in this game is similar to fifsa 08 with a few tweaks. CPU now can do long passes, miss some passes, have some loose balls, etc... But the difficulty of gameplay realtes to how difficult is to do what you want in the game. In fifa, difficulty was high (also because of some control problems) but it felt rewarding. In Euro, difficulty is very very low. Even if you play against a friend, you can pass, pass and shoot as you want. I don't get all the people talking about how difficult is to score. I (and my friends) score lots of goals evey time. Sometimes we don't score, but the experience is very similar to pes6 in terms of goals scored.

Finally, mention the many graphical glitches and bugs. But it's a demo and they can improve that.

CONCLUSION: I think this is the game all pes fans were waiting pes 2008 to be. Even me. It's a fun game about football. Of course reaction times and responsiveness was a problem in fifa 08, but in Euro, I think they've overdone it and I don't like how the game requires less skill to play. You can simply pass, pass and shoot. I think it's a step back in terms of simulation and I really hope fifa 09 turns to be slower, more difficult, more based on skill, even if it's not as fun as this one.

You have hit the nail on the head and have put into words why i was saying its to fast and easy

And as i said before this is more PES than Fifa

You see this sort of comment gets on my nerves... The 360 came 1st and Konami should have taken FULL advantage of that...

I know your a Sony man but come on PES2008 performed BETTER on the 360 than PS3 mate. Its only the controller people have issues with.

PES 5 was far superior on the original XBOX too.

Cammey, on this one im not so sure, The controller on Xbox 1 made the game awkward to play IMO, The graphics were sharper and more detailed Granted BUT the pitches were so sharp and LINEY if you like that it hurt my eyes like fuck!

You see this sort of comment gets on my nerves... The 360 came 1st and Konami should have taken FULL advantage of that...

I know your a Sony man but come on PES2008 performed BETTER on the 360 than PS3 mate. Its only the controller people have issues with.

I know the 360 came first, and I would've been entirely shocked if the PS3 version was even remotely as good as the 360 version of 2008.

But how many times have PES games appeared on PS consoles versus other manufacturers consoles?

I would've expected Konami to stick to what they know.

Burnley v Barnsley saturday gone,mud puddles and shit everywhere,can't you just enjoy the game son?

I do enjoy the game mate. That's my point. Puddles look stupid in the game. That's all.
If they make it to the PS3, so be it. I will still enjoy.

Oh by the way when you play online you are gonna see alot of goals ala PES (now we have ultra fast reaction times from players) from crosses and cutbacks becuase its far to easy to get down the wings and cross or move into the box and cut it back

Is the Wankdorf Stadium that advanced a stadium? (That's not being nasty, I genuinely don't know)

Bear in mind Euro 2008 is being hosted in Austria & Switzerland, not Japan with super-drainage-fields and robo-hoovers.

It's a brand new, state of the art stadium, so I'd expect the drainage to be top-class, especially considering it's going to be part of an international FIFA-sanctioned tournament.

as i said one the first day i played it

this is how pes should of been!

and this pisses all over the pes garden

if pes fan boys cannot enjoy this, then god help them..

if konami made this, the pes fan boys would be creaming there pants

Today my friend came to play on the demo.
He is a big PES fan, and he was impressed.
He really like the game... and he says it was the best soccer game he played ever.

I went off PES becuase it was becoming Arcadey

and now in Fifa have made a new instalment thats gone completely the opposite way to the realism we had in 08

we all know PES at it best was scripted and you could pass around the pitch with one hand, Euro is a big step in that same direction for me and that is very bad for people who like the realism of Fifa 08

I went off PES becuase it was becoming Arcadey

and now in Fifa have made a new instalment thats gone completely the opposite way to the realism we had in 08

i wldn't worry

fifa 09 will probably be the best game you have ever played

EA are not soft, they have produced fifa 08 which has paved the way now

euro 08 is done by a different development team, i am not saying fifa and uefa teams don't help eachother or use ideas and work already done

but i think they are being produced seperate, which is obvious in the way euro 08 has played

i reckon it is intended to be fun, and not as serious as fifa 08

fifa 09 will rock your socks, i cannot see them taking a step back now they have blown the football gaming community open with fifa 08

fifa 09 will most likely be a more refinded 08 with better reaction times etc, oh and the player models like euro 08 etc

This guy seems to know what he is talking about :) it seems EA are getting closer and closer to producing something thats like real football.

How can you say its more real when you can bomb down the pitch in about 5 seconds and turn players like your a Maradonna/Ronaldo hybrid

i wldn't worry

fifa 09 will probably be the best game you have ever played

EA are not soft, they have produced fifa 08 which has paved the way now

euro 08 is done by a different development team, i am not saying fifa and uefa teams don't help eachother or use ideas and work already done

but i think they are being produced seperate, which is obvious in the way euro 08 has played

i reckon it is intended to be fun, and not as serious as fifa 08

fifa 09 will rock your socks, i cannot see them taking a step back now they have blown the football gaming community open with fifa 08

I agree its good fun to play and i enjoy it, but its just not realistic :))

Thats only on a SEMI PRO demo... I reckon they must have fucked the difficulties up and made Amateur and Semi Pro REALLY EASY and Pro upwards will be more realistic and Harder!

Yeah I agree. Playing against a mate of mine last night, I think I scored about 1 goal in about 10 games.

This is no one NEAR as arcadey as PES imo.

Yeah I agree. Playing against a mate of mine last night, I think I scored about 1 goal in about 10 games.

This is no one NEAR as arcadey as PES imo.
Thank you for confirming what I've already said about ten times. :)

Against the CPU on semi-pro it is poor, and so is FIFA. This should be common knowledge. Against a human with two great teams it's a lot, lot harder because the difficulty level doesn't come into play any more - easiest example of this is the goalkeepers, they play like they're playing for their lives against another person.

I have said so many times now that im not playing the CPU im playing humans

We were taking turns in attacking like basketball becuase the passes are that pinpoint and fast you cant get near the ball. And dribbling is even worse becuase the all players can turn on a sixpence

easiest example of this is the goalkeepers, they play like they're playing for their lives against another person.
lol isnt it just!! I played a mate on this yesterday and couldnt score for about 4 to 5 matches... then I started to move the ball across the pitch and stretched his GERMAN defence... I scored about 4 goals yesterday in about 10 games! Now thats a good sign for me if the CPU can play realistic football on Pro or World Class difficulty!

People saying about players being so good at passing and shooting, turning with the ball etc, remember these players play for France and Germany for a reason ;)

Back
Top Bottom