UEFA Euro 2008

I scored 3 screamers in one game out of 20 games the only other time I scored out the box was 2 times in those other 20 games...

if you have 10 yards in front of you its far easier to let off a long shot tht has a possibility of flying in much like fifa 08 if under pressure everything becomes harder the only thing I think he was trying to say was in fifa 08 you could seriously miss big time in euro 2008 it seems it goes 10 yards wide and tht means its easier to aim for goal...

to prove my point here some goals i scored from distance...

all in the same game and only had 2 goals other than these beauties in 20 games...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sQoxVnCJKGo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KeB9h-2W98A
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5mIPA2mUwpo

if theres no 1 closing u down it could mean goal...

I've tried different control configurations, assited and full manual. My main concernings with the game are not the controller, but how the game is designed and the resulting end-to-end gameplay is too much for me combined with the lack of defensive skills (tactically weaker than fifa 08, defensive positioning doesn't pay off, too much space between lines in the teams).

I would sacrifice half of the improved reaction times, a lot of the accuracy in passing and shooting and return to a high-density midfield experience.

Btw, I think I've scored about 1 goal from outside the box in 50-60 games in the demo (but I am getting better and I get closer and closer when I'm in a good position). But then on the other hand I am on everyting fully manual. I guess you guys who complain about scoring is too easy is on assisted or semi?

I really can't belive how anyone can choose to play with (semi-)assisted when you can choose manual. It does make the game harder to master, but it is much more rewarding when you have learnt how to. I thought everyone wanted more freedom - still a lot of people choose not to have that freedom. Why?

To me that's more realistic though, Henry isn't going to miss by 30 yards very often is he? I can understand no player is perfect but come on, this is a demo of France v Germany, it's not going to be a slow and defensive game with the strikers mishitting all their shots!

Well, I will disagree with you here. I've seen a lot of henry this year, to my disgrace. He was great in the past and maybe when he was at arsenal he was like that, but this year I've seen Henry failing a LOT of shots, some of them very wide when being unbalanced. The thing is shooting from distance should be difficult. Not only to score, but to shoot on target. In real life most of the shots go wide and in the demo I find it easy to find the target and sometimes score.

Btw, I think I've scored about 1 goal from outside the box in 50-60 games in the demo (but I am getting better and I get closer and closer when I'm in a good position). But then on the other hand I am on everyting fully manual. I guess you guys who complain about scoring is too easy is on assisted or semi?

I really can't belive how anyone can choose to play with (semi-)assisted when you can choose manual. It does make the game harder to master, but it is much more rewarding when you have learnt how to. I thought everyone wanted more freedom - still a lot of people choose not to have that freedom. Why?

yeah that is 100% of the reason if EA just forced you to use manual there would be insane amounts of complaints over the difficulty of this game LOl

Manaul is so hard to score withb so yeah most people will be playing on assisted

semi is also hard to score on but much easier than manual....

Well, you got a point here, really. My last comments were about "semi" configuration. I really prefer manual, but I think "semi" should be more difficult and involve more skill rather than just pushing the button. In manual, anyway, if you shoot straight with 3/4 power, you will often find the target and sometimes score with good players.

Well, I will disagree with you here. I've seen a lot of henry this year, to my disgrace. He was great in the past and maybe when he was at arsenal he was like that, but this year I've seen Henry failing a LOT of shots, some of them very wide when being unbalanced. The thing is shooting from distance should be difficult. Not only to score, but to shoot on target. In real life most of the shots go wide and in the demo I find it easy to find the target and sometimes score.
key word there been off balance he is under pressure no ?

or not under pressure like that insane finish vs celtic...

off balance to me means ur under pressure side by side with a defender or are actually off balance not just running in at goal with no defenders at you and unleashing a beautie which is how most of the goals from range are scored in euro 2008 the latter... it won't be as mad when ur playing a human player...

when I played my m8's on it yesterdau this was the case much harder to unleash shots as they know they need to apply pressure not like the cpu who runs away giving you gaps and opportunities

Don't have much complaining about shooting. I do feel FIFA 08 shooting better and I'm still wondering why they can't make boot/foot being in righ direction compared to what kind of curve ball is getting.

The demo is easy and you can do pretty much everything you want because there is no pressure from the cpu. EA is trying to please other range of players with this demo(younger crowds?, more pes fans?), obviously the harder levels will be challenging (would be a dumb move from EA to dismantle the fan base they've created with fifa 08).

I think the game feels SO much faster is because the demo is so fucking short, (thanks EA you tight cunts, could have at least been a full game 4 mins halves surely?!), that we are all rushing play to try and make something happen, therefore it feels like there is less build up and literally just running and a lot of attacking? Just my thoughts...

Are many peeps playing this on the pc?,just i think the game has some potential for once ,it just looks crap!,almost as bad as fifa 08 did ,i have everything turned up full, AA and all that crap turned up and it still looks like an amiga game (altho i wish it was sometimes ((SWOS FTW)).I am a huge PES fanboy btw just feel let down by the last few versions of the game,really hoping this game can deliver but are us pc owners getting some sort of crappy version just to appeal to the so called masses that have crap pc's?

That's exactly what you're getting mate. It uses a different engine on the 360/PS3, developed completely differently, and is actually a great game. The PC version (along with the PS2 version and most likely a PSP version as well) is the same game it was 3-4 years ago.

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

Are you sure it's not Cissé ?
It's happening at least once per game with him.
:LOL:

I've tried different control configurations, assited and full manual. My main concernings with the game are not the controller, but how the game is designed and the resulting end-to-end gameplay is too much for me combined with the lack of defensive skills (tactically weaker than fifa 08, defensive positioning doesn't pay off, too much space between lines in the teams).

I would sacrifice half of the improved reaction times, a lot of the accuracy in passing and shooting and return to a high-density midfield experience.

My main concern too. Football = midfield. And this plays more like PES. Always so much space to run forward.

That's exactly what you're getting mate. It uses a different engine on the 360/PS3, developed completely differently, and is actually a great game. The PC version (along with the PS2 version and most likely a PSP version as well) is the same game it was 3-4 years ago.

Argh!!!,why are they doing this?,it must be down to the fact that wow has 10mil subsrcibers and 9 mil coudn't run this,makes me sick,give us next gen EA!!!

You money grabbing ,ripping off the kids ,pop idol of the games world fucks!!

Alright then, I've been playing a bit more, and its back to positives again.

The shooting is vastly improved from F08, it must be said.

And it is an auto-win game cause it has Tyldsley as commentator.

Do you know, the more I play the demo, the more tempted I am to get PES2008 on the cheap purely for the reaction times. I know I would hate the game, I've played the demo often enough to know, but it's so nice having the player do what you want as soon as you press the button. And I can't wait another month.

I think watching two experienced players play this in a few months' time would be amazing, defences throwing people over and being tricked by well-timed dummies. Once you know how to control everything and you play against someone who gives you no easy ride, it will be brilliant. No excuses for losing a game with the reaction times now. Just great.

Reaction times would be great if human controlled defenders had the same kind of reactions and had actual physic power. I played again tonight with a friend and I just teared apart his defenders in the old pes style, with power through balls and easy shots. I scored in all matches more than 1 goal. Maybe he's bad at the game (he really is) but I'm still concerned about the unbalance between offense and defense.

Well Drekkard I think your posts are fantastically in-depth and I can't disagree with you - not because I feel the same but because it's obvious you're giving the game a fair chance and that you're seeing a lot wrong with it. I agree with some of what you say but disagree with some as well, I think the game is a definite improvement but I'm not silly enough to think there is nothing that could be improved. As I've mentioned, the referees let you get away with murder online in FIFA 08 - it's not fun having your team hacked down when they're 1-on-1 every game - and it seems like EA think this is fair enough and not deserving of a red card.

I can say though, I've played someone who is reasonably poor at the game and someone who is pretty great at the game, and (in the latter matches especially) the games were hard-fought scrappy affairs, usually 0-0s, and the defenders had the physical presence of tanks. It seemed a lot more physical to me than most FIFA 08 matches.

A brief example of what I mean; in FIFA you'd find a player running with the ball and a defender running next to him, tracking him, but actually doing nothing. Just running and following. In this, in my matches with a good player of the game, the defenders just bounce the striker away and knock the ball to a midfielder.

I will admit some of the matches were end-to-end attacking football fests with no extensive build-up play - but this is because we were getting pissed off with how quickly the half finishes. When it's a good player versus a good player, it's very hard trying to score in the time you get. In my experience at least.

Last edited:
I've given my opinion a fair few pages ago Han. To summarise; on semi-pro you can't really comment about the opposition AI IMO, you can say "it's easier than FIFA on semi-pro" but remember the FIFA 08 demo? It was on semi-pro and it was fucking impossible. Joe Booth made a statement that the difficulty levels in the final game would be far better, and they were (bar the CPU cheating on World Class and above). Semi-pro was much easier, professional became the "new semi-pro" if you see what I mean. So it may all change before final release. But human v human the game switches to a "realistic" difficulty setting and the stats take over. The game is then perfect defensively (you can really bundle players over with your shoulder charges, it feels exactly like it should), with my only worries being the goalkeepers being so damn good and the referees being so lenient on leg-breaking tackles, yet again. I think the reactions are great, the speed is a bit too fast but with it being an international tournament I think it should be a bit faster and an acceptable sacrifice for the sake of the reactions.Against the computer the demo isn't amazing, you're given as much space as you want. But against another person I think it's great - disappointing but I've given up on playing the CPU now in football games, I think it's just too hard to get right.
I agree with your point about the opposition. As long as it is on semi-pro it is too easy and who can tell how the higher levels will be and indeed, who knows how different the real version is, compared with the demo. I cannot comment on the demo against humans, as my friends from my age consider themselfs too old for gaming ( remember I am 55 :) ). The first thing I noticed was the disappearence of the button lag ( which was there in FIFA 08, although some people denied that when the game was just released. Now people suddenly all noticed it ;) ) I am curious about the defense in the real version, as this is a weak point. The attack is too strong, just like the case is in PES 2008. What I discovered is that there must be some kind of learning element in the AI. Looks like the opposition improves a bit when you played some games and try to win with the same strategy all the time...

- Animations: They were very good in fifa 08, but now there are more and better animations. Thumbs up!
- Responsiveness: When people talk about reaction times, I assume they talk about button responsiveness. Reaction times in this game are overdone and very unrealistic (more later) but responsiveness of the controls is very good.
- Passing/Crossing: Long passes are better than ever and an actual threat. Crosses seem to be more easy to control even in full manual settings.
- Shooting: No more "finesse" easy shots from outisde the area is the main thing here for me. More about shooting in the negatives list.
- Weather: it's in the game. We're still to see the different ways in which affect the gameplay.
Now for the negatives. I'm really disappointed about all these things:

- Gameplay: They have broken gameplay in my oppinion. You can run and dribble all around, there's no skill involved in dribbling, tricks are supereasy to do, through passing is too effective and it's not necessary at all to build up play. I've played CPU & Humans (some of my friends don't fit in "human" category) and this game will turn into a scoring fest. I score 3 or more goals evey time I want, being the cpu or humans.
The game is too unbalanced towards offensive game. Also, there is too much space between lines in the teams. You pass to your striker and he's only challenged by the full back, I don't see the density of players I liked in fifa 08 and my feeling is just that, players receive and have too much space around them in every situation.

- Physics: Ball physics are good, but body challenges are dramatically missing. There's almost no contact. You can't pressure your opponent, you simply tackle or run behind your opponent. When a big full back is about to be run by a fast player, you can't play the physical contact at all, you can't push from behind, when you press "tackle" button, your player can be 1 inch off the opponent and do nothing (dribbling is too easy even in small spaces). Maybe you don't win the ball, but AT LEAST by positioning in front of a player you should be a threat to his possession. In this demo, it's uber easy to go throught defenders unchallenged.

- Pace: Definitely too fast. Mainly because the combination of different factors: players can run too much, absolut lack of physical contact, too fast reactions and perfect-passing.

- Positioning: Players were perfect in position in fifa 08, now they're quite dumb. Playing the cpu, you simply pass around and finally find the winger free. It's SUPER easy to break defenses and find holes. There's not much skill involved. That's been one of my biggest disappointments with the game.

- Passing: Too precise. Even if the target is 30 meters away or between opponents, you simply press "pass" and it's done. It deeply affects gameplay in a bad way, because not much skill is involved. Passing from your full back to your striker is too easy. Oh, and thet'es still too much scripting in the passing routines, even in full manual.

- Shooting: Too easy to score screamers. Most shots are dangerous even if you were unbalanced, moving or so... Fiufa 08 was more punishing with this details and I liked how the ball could go really off target (even to the corner flag) if you were unbalanced or with a player with low shooting stats. The shooting in this game reminds me a lot of the one in pes6.

- Difficulty: People often talk about difficulty in general. There's 2 different things: difficulty of the gameplay and AI. The AI in this game is similar to fifsa 08 with a few tweaks. CPU now can do long passes, miss some passes, have some loose balls, etc... But the difficulty of gameplay realtes to how difficult is to do what you want in the game. In fifa, difficulty was high (also because of some control problems) but it felt rewarding. In Euro, difficulty is very very low. Even if you play against a friend, you can pass, pass and shoot as you want. I don't get all the people talking about how difficult is to score. I (and my friends) score lots of goals evey time. Sometimes we don't score, but the experience is very similar to pes6 in terms of goals scored.

- "Stars": There's something I specifically dislike, and it's the "star" players. I hate when in a game a star player is like a superhero able to score from everywhere and running through everybody. This game is a bit (too much) like that. Henry or Anelka can do what they want, almost unstoppable,if you are skilled. I hate when people says "now I can feel Henry moving like the real Henry". That's bullshit. What they want is simply a superplayer that scores a lot, snhoots screamers from 30 meters and is faster than anyone. But reality is NOT like that, star players can do this things once every 10 attempts, to say something. Even the best player in the world has more chances to fail than to succeed. So, I don't like the fact that you play Henry or Anelka and shoot from outside the area and most of the times the ball goes to target independantly oof your position, defenders, balance, etc... It's overdone in my oppinion.

Finally, mention the many graphical glitches and bugs. But it's a demo and they can improve that.

CONCLUSION: I think this is the game all pes fans were waiting pes 2008 to be. Even me. It's a fun game about football. Of course reaction times and responsiveness was a problem in fifa 08, but in Euro, I think they've overdone it and I don't like how the game requires less skill to play. You can simply pass, pass and shoot. I think it's a step back in terms of simulation and I really hope fifa 09 turns to be slower, more difficult, more based on skill, even if it's not as fun as this one.
Drekkard, I agree on a lot of points. As you can see in my reaction on Jack's post, I also find the balance wrong towards defenders and indeed the game is too easy. I disagree on the pace. You can regulate the speed by building up more, not using the sprint-button. You can make it very pacey by playing the ball direct or deep all the time. About positioning: I expect you can set this in the final version, by usning a pressing strategy, as long as strategy-settings are there in the final release, that is...

Last edited:
As I've mentioned, the referees let you get away with murder online in FIFA 08 - it's not fun having your team hacked down when they're 1-on-1 every game - and it seems like EA think this is fair enough and not deserving of a red card.

That's not only true but also shocking considering those "Fair play" adboards all around... :blush: I have to say that sliding tackles are the best ones I've seen in a game.

I can say though, I've played someone who is reasonably poor at the game and someone who is pretty great at the game, and (in the latter matches especially) the games were hard-fought scrappy affairs, usually 0-0s, and the defenders had the physical presence of tanks. It seemed a lot more physical to me than most FIFA 08 matches.

Happy to hear that from you, and I'm anxious to test the final build with skilled players and I really hope a lot of games end up 0-0. The bad thing is I'm a PS3 player, so it's really difficult to find good people like you to play against.

Oh, and by the way, I already found the triple cross too accurate and powerful in fifa but I see it's still the same, most of the times it goes to a striker to score in the keeper's area without any skill involved.

On the good side, I mentioned before the animations, but indeed everytime I play I find new ones, they really have worked that area (a mention to the goalkeepers passing the ball with the hand). :BLINK:

The annoying part is that if Konami werent so much up Sonys arse then we would be playing PES games that played like the PES of old right now instead we still have to wait another year and a half for PES 2010 because they ignored the Xbox 360

OK, BAP mode rules :COOL:. The CPU AI has been improved which is superb, as it means this mode really works. That last game I was Gallas and got a 9.8 rating. We won 1-0, scored a superb team goal which Anelka finished off, I think about half the France team had a touch of the ball in the build up, including me :)). We also put together some quality moves, and had very little threat from the Germans. Guess that's because it's only on semi-pro though ;)).

I do agree that BAP is much better this time around. The AI and response makes this really work but also the stats that seem to reflect good on how you actually play. Played one game as Ribery on the wing. I had a horrible first half. Bad passing and hardly did anything right:LOL: I got a 3.5 score at halftime and the score was 0-0. 2 mins in to the second half I got a fantastic pass from Ben Arfa and I scored a pretty decent goal, hitting it in the far post. After that my build-up play was better and even won some tackles. Finished with a assist to Benzema with through pass and ended with a 9.8 score:DD A really awarding game mode that will be a bigger hit this time around for sure!

To me that's more realistic though, Henry isn't going to miss by 30 yards very often is he? I can understand no player is perfect but come on, this is a demo of France v Germany, it's not going to be a slow and defensive game with the strikers mishitting all their shots!

The "celebrate how you want" feature seems to be something EA wanted to focus on with Euro 08 and that may be the reason they have made the game so easy to score on + the issues on the difficult level on Fifa 08 demo. Other than that I think you make good points about the demo and I think those who backs away from the game because of the demo may make a mistake. That being said, I still love the demo and I can hardly wait for the full game. Hope to see you guys on live come April :ACHOO:..sorry:)

The fact this game plays more like pro evo is no bad thing....fifa's presentation and pro's original (not this terrible next gen incarnation) gameplay equals - for me - the holy grail of football games. I will buy this and fifa 09 just to support EA for innovating in the football game market. the benchmark appears to have been raised again and konami are now even further behind.

I hope they answer the challenge.

All EA need to do now the core gameplay mechanics are eraching are truly enjoyable level is sort the bl00dy net animations!:((:((:((:((:((:((:((:((

Back
Top Bottom