UEFA Euro 2008

Ok impressions time.

Of course the Demo is on Semi Pro so the fact is its easy to get through the opposition defence and score a goal. Having said that the way the players move is excellent! response times have quickened up from FIFA 08 as has the pace of the game. All in all it makes for a FAR less frustrating experience. Graphics have been sharpened up from FIFA 08 and the player models appear to look better than FIFA 08... The problem is the player Faces still look shocking with the exception of Franck Ribery. They appear to have refined the shooting and passing system, its more responsive in general and in the case of the shooting I find with Semi Auto shooting I can now hit the target more often than I could on FIFA 08. Ball physics also have been sharpened up, the ball seems less floaty than it did in FIFA 08 which can only be a good thing. Thus far this is the best FIFA game ive played to date, so very enjoyable and feels so damn realistic! I was out of my seat often (like I used to be during the good old days of PES)

Graphics 8
Sound 9 Commentary is brilliant!
Gameplay 9

EDIT: here is a goal I scored with Henry... woah!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRAaPFSprpE

Could not have said it better really! Have been playing it for some hours now and I must say I do LOVE it! Its only a demo but its the first game that has really given me that really good feeling since PES 4. Dont think the speed is to fast and when the full game comes out you can adjust the difficult and still have that build up play we love from Fifa 08 I think. Responsive time is fixed in my book. I am having some problem with the "celebrate how you want" though. Anybody found out the controlls for the different celebrations? And as you pointed out "DJ Doc4" its about time EA fix those player faces!! White players do look a little better but in general I hope this will be better come Fifa 09! I think Flameni will be a big hit in Euro 2008, but looking at him in the game gives me the creeps! As with most of the coloured players:r1 Commentary is very good also and the weather is better than I was expecting. So I just had to put a pre-order on the game right away:DD
I think they have a winner here and Fifa 09 looks to be a "most wanted game". Just hope they work on player faces:DUMMY:(with more cool in game cut-scenes this should be better),stadiums looks and other details as I think the gameplay is close to being spot on. I also like the magers on the sidelines. It would be awsome if you could get to see managers like Wenger, Furgerson, Benitez etc in Fifa 09. But is it just me or does the crowd look worse in this demo? Now on to see if I cant get the hang off those bloody celebrations;))

Ps: What do you good people think about the camera angles? I prefer the Co-Op camera for standard play and broadcast for pro mode. Tele is also good for standard play.

Last edited:
I havent tried it yet, still at work, but from what you guys are saying it's gonna be great. Is the US getting the retail version on a later date than Europe? Put me down for a spot in the evo web tournament.

I see tricks can mess up in the rain now.

Just had ballack perform a step over only to step on the ball and watch it bounce in the other direction as he stumbles on it.

Couple of questions, as I cant download the bugger till next bloody week!;

- Someone mentioned about the net sounds, do the crowd react on time now when you score a goal? In 08 it had about a 0,5sec delay that just felt wrong. It should be instant, with even a soft murmer while the ball is "on-its-way".

- Are crosses now fast and "low"? By that I mean do they still "loop over" and lack pace as they did in 08? Can you whip one in?

- Penaltycam, is it placed differently? Because in 08 the opposite side to the kickers foot would always be blocked by the player. I remember seeing the cornerkick cam from a video and that was higher and gave more overview.

Not a question, someone mentioned about the myriad of stats after the be-a-pro match. That is looking to be really good, as they have already said you can pick a player and "Build him up" during qualifying to make captain for the tournament. Didnt play a be-a-pro match till recently on 08, part of the challenges, and really liked it. Would be good to do a whole "season", ala libero grande, but better!

Was planning on getting this as a bargain bin game after the tournament......hearing you lot I might be getting it earlier :(

Where do I start?

Ball physics are a massive improvement.

Loving the much quicker response times.

The speed of the game is perfect, as are the graphics and overall presentation.

But the one thing that has blown me away is this.....

The players actually feel individual.

You can tell the difference between Ballack and Viera.

The ball feels a lot more solid, and the shooting feels perfect.

I expected a better experience, but the improvement is leaps and bounds ahead of FIFA 08.

Quite unbelievable in all honesty.

- Someone mentioned about the net sounds, do the crowd react on time now when you score a goal? In 08 it had about a 0,5sec delay that just felt wrong. It should be instant, with even a soft murmer while the ball is "on-its-way".
It's not something I can say I noticed, but I'm imagining if there was still a delay I would have noticed it. It just seems natural, but that might be because I'm so used to it being "off".

- Are crosses now fast and "low"? By that I mean do they still "loop over" and lack pace as they did in 08? Can you whip one in?
The three-button-press cross seems a bit harder and a bit lower, I nearly got a rebound off a defender's leg this afternoon, which I didn't see in FIFA 08. But I only tried it once or twice so it might have been coincidence.

- Penaltycam, is it placed differently? Because in 08 the opposite side to the kickers foot would always be blocked by the player. I remember seeing the cornerkick cam from a video and that was higher and gave more overview.
I love the new penalty cam, Milanista doesn't like it, so it's just a matter of taste.

It's on a slight angle (so that there's no obstruction of the view), and it pans from high to low. I like it, you can see everything, but with it being on an angle rather than dead-straight I can see why some would find it offputting.

I love it though, and same with the corners and free-kicks, and goal-kicks. You can see exactly where all of your players are as it pans down from high to low.

But the one thing that has blown me away is this.....

The players actually feel individual.

You can tell the difference between Ballack and Viera.
Call me stupid but this is something I've never really "got", apart from a difference in speed (i.e. there's clunky and clumsy, then there's like a speeding bullet) I just don't quite get what you're after here and how this can be achieved. Gerrard is slow but hits powerful shots, Ronaldo is fast but he doesn't score the same daisy-cutters as Gerrard - it was like that in FIFA 08 so I don't see what else can be done really? :eh:

Call me stupid but this is something I've never really "got", apart from a difference in speed (i.e. there's clunky and clumsy, then there's like a speeding bullet) I just don't quite get what you're after here and how this can be achieved. Gerrard is slow but hits powerful shots, Ronaldo is fast but he doesn't score the same daisy-cutters as Gerrard - it was like that in FIFA 08 so I don't see what else can be done really? :eh:

When you play PES all the individual players have there own unique animations, so they feel like they are different, and the stats reflect this on the pitch.

Where as in FIFA 08 all the players had the same animation, and the only difference is the speed.

When you play PES all the individual players have there own unique animations, so they feel like they are different, and the stats reflect this on the pitch.

Where as in FIFA 08 all the players had the same animation, and the only difference is the speed.

agree, but you feel this is different in euro?

Im not so sure its worth the £40 price tag i think no club teams is going to grate for me.

I think im going to pick it up when its cheap although no doubt demo really going to make me want it.

PSN still not updated 7:35 :THINK:

Agree about the feel of individuals. When PES was good it was the same there, and does add to the sense of who is good at what on the pitch, and who you should give the ball to.

I haven't seen a pen yet so cant comment on the camera but i cant find fault thus far

I was losing as Germany, so France then went more defensive and hit on the break, kept possession somehow, with some great passes, outside of the foot "round the corner" of challenges, Vieira ran onto a through ball drew Lehmann and dinked it into the corner. very realistic.

This game is quality

I mean longevity is indeed an issue without clubs, i mean how many times can you possibly play the same cup over and over, there is no feeling of progression at national team level.

But i can't wait to play some classics on line, like Andorra vs San Marino or Lichtenstein vs Luxembourg...

Maybe we can create a champions league out of it with some next gen patching!

Btw i still hope one day they'll release and history of football version with leagues from the 70es and 80es.

Last edited:
I mean longevity is indeed an issue without clubs, i mean how many times can you possibly play the same cup over and over, there is no feeling of progression at national team level.

But i can't wait to play some classics on line, like Andorra vs San Marino or Lichtenstein vs Luxembourg...

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing how teams like Andorra play. I hope they're really awful to play as, difficult to string passes together, clumsy control, unintelligent runs by AI team mates, even less pace and stamina.

But I'll be seriously cheesed off if, when the cpu plays as Andorra, they're a class act just like any other team with perfect skills and organisation.

As for longevity, so long as the game has 5v5 online, it'll last me until FIFA09 no problem. At least I won't be confronted with an endless stream of Barcelona v Man Utd matches, albeit it'll now be endless France v Italy matches....

If anyone who WONT be able to download the demo does want an indepth video to watch? I shall endeavour to do so if you reply back soon... :) Ill take the 360 upstairs and use our 42" Sharp TV and do it....

therell be a few people who wouldnt mind seeing a indepth vid cheers m8

hurry up. because as soon as the demo hits the playstation store no one will be here anylonger ;)

Back
Top Bottom