UEFA Euro 2008

Ok cool. Where the heck is Cdub with his impressions? He better be writing up a 2 page review.

The pressure of writing up a review on a 2 minute per half demo is great but I feel I am up to the challenge...

Right, I feel this post is going to get swamped by a lot more as I type so forgive me if I miss a few things as I go along.

The intro menus look shiny enough as expected and EA have this lovely mountainy background for you to stare at as the demo starts.

One thing I did notice on scrolling through the menus is that in the XBox Live section there is no BAP option. Its there when you select the Kick Off option but for it not to be on the Live section is a bit odd!

Onto the game itself now and I have played a couple of matches as one team and couple of matches as the other, yes there are only 2 teams in the demo but what did you want eh?! I also went on to play a couple of games on the BAP mode just to get an overall feel before I started typing this.

I just went to play another game then, I really should just sit here and keep on typing!

Onto the game itself now and as you start you notice thats its quicker from the off, not in a bad way at all either but just the right pace. We all said that FIFA was too slow and clunky but it seems like they have it totally spot on with this version of the game.

Passes are now controlled with a power bar above your players head that should be intrusive but it isnt, it just lets you control the ball better. You can put together some really free flowing moves and never once battle with a sluggish touch or a player not doing what he should. The players seem to have more intelligence about them too, they make the runs that real footballers would and the space really opens up if you play a telling pass or a through ball now.

As the demo match is set in the rain I felt it my duty to try out one of my favourite features, the slide tackle. I have never seen a slide challenge look or feel as good as it does in the rain! I lost count of the number of well timed slides that I put in and how realistic the challenger and challengee reacted.

Onto my BAP experiences now and in my first go at this I was Claude Makelele. I was my usual battling midfielder in this and now the myriad of stats you get after a game can either make you feel great or pretty shoddy. For example after the match you get rated on so many things and one of them is positional awareness. In this game I got a 5 as the number of times I got caught out of position was shocking. Its stat heaven and tells you how many passes you made, how many challenges you made, how far you ran and all sorts of other stats that you will never really look at but look great none-the-less.
My second game saw me change sides and take on Michael Ballack, Much better from me as I worked exactly where I should on the pitch and came out of this with a positional awareness rating of 8. Guess I am better at attacking than defending but I think those who have played with me at BAP know that anyway.

So far I have won a couple and drawn a couple, the difficulty seems about right and the 2 teams they have picked seem about level.

I think that about covers it for my initial impressions, maybe more will come the more I play

One last thing I've noticed, and then I'm on Everybody's Golf, I've paid £30 for it and I've only played one round. :lol:

It might only be me that does this though...

Do you ever see it where the ball is loose, it's in-front of you but it's rolling towards the opposition player, and so you press the slide tackle button in attempt to get to it first? On FIFA you do that and nothing happens. On this, it works. I've just nabbed the ball from an opposition player - I pressed slide tackle and he strrrrrretched out and nicked the ball.

Brilliant, just brilliant.

Does the weather make the gameplay feel different? (eg. the ball skidding across the turf quicker etc.)

Great write up CW thanks :)

The rating system in 08, for single player manager mode at least is shockingly bad, you can win say 3-0, one player getting 2 goals and an assist, he gets a 7, your keeper gets man of the match also with a 7 because he made 2 saves, pathetic......

Jack, can you check out a few things please?

When you press the button to make a team-mate go on a run, do they still just run straight forward, or do they ever make diagonals?

Do the cpu team still keep a perfect flat back 4 all the time?

Do the cpu players still go on these implausibly long dribbles, evading tackle after tackle?

WHen you press the button to make the keeper run out to intercept the ball, does he still hover around in a completely "we've still not written the AI for this" kind of way?

Thanks very much!

they dont make those ridiculous runs while holding the ball. if they get pressured they pass. the ai is a lot better so far.

Jack, can you check out a few things please?
Let's go.

When you press the button to make a team-mate go on a run, do they still just run straight forward, or do they ever make diagonals?
I notice this has been completely revamped, sometimes they won't run because they know they're going to be offside. But yeah, they don't just run straight now, from what I've seen. They will cut inside - so much so that sometimes you don't even realise they're making a run because they have to run level and get past a defender first.

Do the cpu team still keep a perfect flat back 4 all the time?
Not quite. The wing-backs are higher up (and not level with eachother) than the centre-backs, but the centre-backs stay in position. Realistic to me, especially playing against Germany.

Do the cpu players still go on these implausibly long dribbles, evading tackle after tackle?
Yes and no, I've seen one player run towards the goalkeeper, get in a good position and then pass the ball backwards - when he was in a great position to score. But then the difficulty level is semi-pro - and quite honestly, the game is ten times better playing another human. No CPU flaws whatsoever, apart from the goalkeepers who (APPARENTLY - haven't managed it myself yet) still get caught in no-man's land from 30-yards out on occasion.

WHen you press the button to make the keeper run out to intercept the ball, does he still hover around in a completely "we've still not written the AI for this" kind of way?
No, he will run out exactly like he should do. Quickly, and towards the ball. But sometimes he won't pick up the ball like you would normally; instead of bending down and picking it up he will stretch out for it or run past it.

Thanks very much!
It's a fuckin' pleasure.

I agree with JB about your AI players making runs with the make a run button. They seem much more smart and don't run sometimes because theres no opening. They sort of wait for the right time and don't just go in a straight line.

But sometimes he won't pick up the ball like you would normally; instead of bending down and picking it up he will stretch out for it or run past it.

Run past it! In a Keystone Cops kind of way? Or in a "that's exactly what he should have done" kind of way.

Great to here there's some development in the players AI.

Thanks again...now off to the golf with you.

Nice feedback Jack & CW :)

This is my feedback for the guys who haven't played it yet:

When you get home, download it, play it, have some dinner, play it some more, have a wank, put FIFA 08 on ebay, pre-order Euro 2008 if you haven't already, it's gonna be the best football game around until FIFA 09 comes out.

Run past it! In a Keystone Cops kind of way? Or in a "that's exactly what he should have done" kind of way.

Great to here there's some development in the players AI.

Thanks again...now off to the golf with you.
In a "I think I just saw a naked Angelina Jolie on the half way line, look at her... Oh no, it's just Ribery, OH GOD THE GAME" way.

It's not too disgraceful, but the slightest knock of the ball by the attacker and he's usually left completely dead by it and just starts chasing the attacker from behind instead.

I would only bring the keeper out if I knew he was going to reach the ball before the striker, put it like that.

Nice feedback Jack & CW :)

This is my feedback for the guys who haven't played it yet:

When you get home, download it, play it, have some dinner, play it some more, have a wank, put FIFA 08 on ebay, pre-order Euro 2008 if you haven't already, it's gonna be the best football game around until FIFA 09 comes out.

if i have a wank im gonna go to sleep

i used the tele camera and its pretty good, not sure about co-op cam
Co-op cam is the best camera I've ever seen in a football game. Zooms out in midfield, zooms in when you're going to shoot. It's perfect IMO, and I will be pissed off if it's missing from any future FIFA.

I'm contemplating phoning the Mrs and trying to give instructions on how to download the bloody thing.

I emailed the Mrs and she hasn't responded yet. She better not be ignoring me.

Question: Goalmouth scrambles? Is the keeper slow to get up after blocking a shot and the attacker gets an easy tap in.?

Can we choose camera hieght and angle???
Nope. Still no angles like there used to be on PES.

Question: Goalmouth scrambles? Is the keeper slow to get up after blocking a shot and the attacker gets an easy tap in.?
Not really seen this too often but he seems a bit quicker overall. I've noticed they do tend to punch a few shots though where you think, there was no pressure on you there, why didn't you just save it or knock it down and then catch it?

I wonder if ThomasGOAL will even try it?
More chance of Gordon Brown painting "TONY BLAIR IS A KNOBHEAD" on the walls outside Number 10.

sorry if this has already been answered but can you change the button configuration in the demo? ie. set it to new alternative like fifa 08?
cheers
Jamie

Back
Top Bottom