UEFA Euro 2008

im still upset that fifa/ea have not captured the individuality of the players... PES has this nailed.. it really takes away from the game IMO

SO what's the best method for picking your rivals in CYC. I picked crap players so I would get the position I wanted but now they're moving up with me to the full squad and keeping the likes of Rooney out. But if I pick good players like Rooney I don't get to start in the position I want.

Take a look at this, may give you some food for thought.

Before you start a CYC game, go into the squad editor for the country you want to play for, and put the three rivals that you choose into the first team. For me, I play for England, and I put Joe Cole on the left wing, Aaron Lennon on the right wing and Theo Walcott up-front (right). Save the squads file when/if prompted, and also at this point you can free up the shirt number you want if you desire. I changed Hargreaves from number 19 to 20-something (Barry's number), then changed Barry's number to 41. Meaning 19 is unassigned. Save the squads again.

Then start a new CYC game. I make myself as a CM, and (about pissing time), I'm now played as a CM. :)

So if I were to pick, say, Ferdinand, Rooney, and Gerrard to be my rivals, I'd put them in their positions and then I would still start as CF?

im still upset that fifa/ea have not captured the individuality of the players... PES has this nailed.. it really takes away from the game IMO

i have been a PES/WE player for god knows how long and i cant say that they have ever had the individuality of players

i have been a PES/WE player for god knows how long and i cant say that they have ever had the individuality of players

Yeh, seriously I don't get this - other than superior pace and/or unique special skills how do you 'have' the individuality of players?? All that the programmers can do is give them numerical coding in the different categories of ratings and make different players better at doing different things, not as if they can inject a persona into polygons.
Of course you can make them look very similar to their real life counterparts in physical attributes but what is this individuality of which you speak? And please don't respond that 'you can just FEEL the difference in PES' - elaborate on what exactly it is that you're feeling, is it their dribbling? shooting? movement? I've played PES for years and seems to me that players all pretty much do everything the same within their ranking sector but maybe I'm just not seeing it. :?

Balance, agility, pace, technique, dribbling and shot power.
Those are the main differences between players in PES/WE, that you can actually discern whilst playing.
It does give character to each player, and other football games lack this in my opinion.

Most of those elements in one way or another can be discerned in Fifa, maybe not quite to the extent of PES but they're all there to a degree.......

I've only ever noticed differences in player speed in FIFA, but I've not played the new games, so maybe it's different now.

Strength is IMO the next easiest to see after speed in Fifa/Euro as it plays a large part.

Having just got Euro I'm a bit behind everyone else, same annoyances other people reported, lineup being reset all the time (what's the point of team management if it doesn't save your changes?), defending is plain silly, no way to choose previous/next during half time/full time highlights, as you could in Fifa08, why remove such a basic useful thing? Morons.

Last edited:
I think differences in agility in FIFA are probably just about perceptible.

I think one of the main reasons PES made you feel more like you were playing with the real players is that you could visibily recognise certain players when they got the ball. The players model seemed to have a far wider range of basic settings, so differences in height, girth, hair-colour, even skin colour, were far more perceptible than they are in FIFA.

Changes to other main attributes, such as speed, agility, heading, shooting and passing power/accuracy all made very noticable differences to the feel of the players in PES. I made my own Scottish Premier League and it was possible to create players that really did bear some resemblence to the physical appearance and playing style of their real-life counterparts. I always knew instantly who was on the ball. This is rarely, if ever, the case in FIFA.

Perhaps the fact that the FIFA stat editing options restrict you changing players stats by much doesn't help in allowing you to create distinctive attributes. But even physically, very few players are instantly recognisable. The general size and shape of the players are very similar, red-heads look like brown-heads, even black skins tones are barely distinguishable from white on the wide cam. On the whole, FIFA is a big bunch of generic look-a-like play-a-likes. Strange, because I would have thought that would be quite easy to fix.

Last edited:
The keepers spoil the game with their scripted cheating but I thought "no problem, I'll just go edit their stats so they're much weaker".....only to discover you can't edit their stats.... unless it's hidden in the depths of EA's badly designed labyrinth menu system.

totally agree with u...
and yeh, i had the same idea about editing their ratings...couldnt find it though...i dont think theres a way
and now my game is on the brazilian ebay. :(
im really frustated witht this game..really..
my ecxpectations were really high about this one.

i liked the response times and the more Fredom of the game play..but the shooting/GKs relation in this game is just idiotic...
u cant score a low shot from outside the box no matter what..it can be the poor andorra GK againts a torpedo from gerrard , and yet he will make that SAME save 99 out of 100 times... just frustating...

well, back to fifa 08 and we2008, goshh.

BTW, i do agree with u abouit the generic look players in fifa have from the tele cam. evan with WE4 on the psone i could tell u imediatly what player had the ball without having to look at the name's bar.

@ Bumperman
360 version is more polished... evan with the ps3 pacth.
just an exemple is that on the 360 u can see water on the field when its raining , on the ps3 u cant..also the grass is full 3d on the 360 whe u look at it on the replay very closely , while on the ps3 its just a plain picture. thats coming from a solo ps3 owner..i saw the 360 game on a friends house.
also the 360 controler is a lot better to play with the stick imho...the playstation controler was made to play using the d-pad in my opinion. the stick is just in a bad position and not presise enough.

totally agree with u...
and yeh, i had the same idea about editing their ratings...couldnt find it though...i dont think theres a way
and now my game is on the brazilian ebay. :(
im really frustated witht this game..really..
my ecxpectations were really high about this one.

i liked the response times and the more Fredom of the game play..but the shooting/GKs relation in this game is just idiotic...
u cant score a low shot from outside the box no matter what..it can be the poor andorra GK againts a torpedo from gerrard , and yet he will make that SAME save 99 out of 100 times... just frustating...

well, back to fifa 08 and we2008, goshh.

BTW, i do agree with u abouit the generic look players in fifa have from the tele cam. evan with WE4 on the psone i could tell u imediatly what player had the ball without having to look at the name's bar.

@ Bumperman
360 version is more polished... evan with the ps3 pacth.
just an exemple is that on the 360 u can see water on the field when its raining , on the ps3 u cant..also the grass is full 3d on the 360 whe u look at it on the replay very closely , while on the ps3 its just a plain picture. thats coming from a solo ps3 owner..i saw the 360 game on a friends house.
also the 360 controler is a lot better to play with the stick imho...the playstation controler was made to play using the d-pad in my opinion. the stick is just in a bad position and not presise enough.

thank you for the insite:))

Just got the game as it FINALLY came out in America. Thoughts so far is that its definitely worth it (especially at the slightly discounted price here of 50 dollars), after 3 days of many games against my brother, I can't see why or how anyone could go back to Fifa. I loved Fifa but near the end all the little things that bothered me started to mount up and I didn't really enjoy playing it anymore. The reaction times seem near perfect to me at the moment especially in that though I had heard that some of the games were really high scoring we only had 2 games where either of us score more than 2 goals, and defending to me seems fantastic as reaction times for defenders have also been increased ( no more waiting for 5 seconds for your defender to react on a change of direction when someone is about to cross). Love the fact that the keeper actually charges when you press Y nowadays. Also feels so much more real being able to jostle for headers, and u generally feel so much less on rails. I have noticed that keepers are a bit too good at covering the far post, which was the same in FIFA though it seems to be a tiny bit better, but looking for FIFA 09 to fix this. Definitely not enough to disappoint tho. There is definitely player individuality i dont know what people are talking about here, u instantly feel the difference between controlling schneider and ballack for example. One big thing they NEED to is sort out being able to edit your tactics online and also being able to compare player stats a la Pro evo, side by side with over 95 being red over 90 being orange and so on!

Anyway gamertag is stilts1844 if anybody is up for some games :) anybody in here from the states have the game?

I've got it stilts, I'll look out for you. My GT is my username.

Anyone else having trouble scoring, especially in one-on-ones? I used to just double tap X and it was pretty much a guaranteed goal, but I rarely score one-on-ones now. I've only scored from outside the box once, and that was in CYC on semi (I usually play Pro).

Picked this up yesterday in the states. Nice game. Goalies are too good though.

players still feel WAY too generic. my 60 OVR CAP for CyC feels exactly like some of my other midfielders. i think fifa has too many complex animations and it locks you in to it thus making you feel like you're on ice and have no control over your player. pes is good because its precise and playing styles were very apparent. cristiano ronaldo feels like a fast version of my CAP. my CAP can hit long shots the same way as CR7 and the keeper will save all of them. feels like the stats make no difference what so ever save for strength and speed... on to fifa 09 cause this is pure garbage as a single player game.

Just played a couple of games online, ended up switching the console off in the middle of them all. Not the game's fault though. Forget "there's one born every minute", there's one given a console every minute.

Every game: big boot up-field, no passing whatsoever, dirty bastard tackling non-stop, France France France all the fucking time, and cutback goals galore.

The online leagues are great when you get decent lads, but playing randoms is a waste of time. I don't think online gaming is all it's cracked up to be - at least not in sports games where there always seems to be at least one weakness in the engine.

that is the exact reason why i have built a FL up of people who i feel play the game, how i do like proper football

i have done this since pes5 on the xbox over xbox live and avoided randoms unless i really had to i.e no-one playing on my list

infact everytime i was on euro online, there was never many playing it on my list or they were in a game, so i left it for a while so i didnt have to play randoms and really didn't miss it

then becanes got it the other night and i played him and had a right laugh and the game was playing like real football and felt brilliant, partly because becanes plays it like proper football, with passing and build up etc (manual controls like me)

i can now appreciate the game again, but only with certain people

Just played a couple of games online, ended up switching the console off in the middle of them all. Not the game's fault though. Forget "there's one born every minute", there's one given a console every minute.

Every game: big boot up-field, no passing whatsoever, dirty bastard tackling non-stop, France France France all the fucking time, and cutback goals galore.

The online leagues are great when you get decent lads, but playing randoms is a waste of time. I don't think online gaming is all it's cracked up to be - at least not in sports games where there always seems to be at least one weakness in the engine.

Last edited:
I play the game properley too. I dont do cutbacks or cheap goals. Id be embarassed to score them!

thats probably why your on my list dave ;))

seriously tho, i can live with the odd cut back and cheap goal etc but people who play the same one dimensional game can go and :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom