UEFA Euro 2008

Placebo, I reckon you'd enjoy it if you just did the finals, that way there are no crap teams to get you riled up. I'm having fun with Spain and just won it with Portugal. But I agree, my full campaign with England is nowhere near as fun.

Yeah maybe, or I was thinking for matches against crap teams I'll put out my weakest team possible and maybe less of the "underdog logic" will kick in and I'll actually enjoy the match ;)

I'm starting to see the gripes you guys are having with this. I'm doing a Finals with Spain, and in the group stages I dominated, beating Sweden, Germany and Croatia 3-0, 2-0, and 7-0, respectively. Then in the Quarter Finals I had Poland, and all of a sudden my defenders didn't do what I told them, Torres had lost his touch, and I couldn't keep possession. Poland, on the other hand, played immaculate football with flawless defence.

thanks mate, appreciate it
It's a very bad game though, last-gen EA games have always been awful and this is no exception. I tried it and ununstalled it after one half, it's a disgrace of a game.

It's a very bad game though, last-gen EA games have always been awful and this is no exception. I tried it and ununstalled it after one half, it's a disgrace of a game.

yeh i was just wanting to check it out, my xbox is dead so i thought id try this just to see what its like, i think u are right though :))

I'm shocked by some of the bad reviews this game is getting, it is easily better than fifa in the controls department. The passing is spot on, dribbling is great and the keeper can be great at times.

If FIFA 09 combines this and work on a few character models and add create a stadium..we would be good to go

my score

8.8/10

I'm shocked by some of the bad reviews this game is getting, it is easily better than fifa in the controls department. The passing is spot on, dribbling is great and the keeper can be great at times.

If FIFA 09 combines this and work on a few character models and add create a stadium..we would be good to go

my score

8.8/10

Agree mate.

No where near 8.8 in my book. 5 at the most. Purely because of the limited game modes and teams to start with.

my score

8.8/10

Passing is spot on? They've completely raped manual passing compared to Fifa08, it's a vile insult now.

No where near 8.8 in my book. 5 at the most. Purely because of the limited game modes and teams to start with.
5/10? No way mate. Yes the teams are limited but gameplay is improved.

I've played a couple of matches where the teams were fairly balanced against the AI and it was enjoyable, would call it 7.5/10, then I play against Macedonia or Andorra and they super dribble, super pass, super tackle, I can't even get near them despite having my players set to close down, it's just completely frustrating and not remotely enjoyable and I'd give it 1/10, Fifa is a far more enjoyable game IMO, despite the things that Euro has improved over it.

Passing is spot on? They've completely raped manual passing compared to Fifa08, it's a vile insult now.
Only people who play offline use fully manual passing, so most people aren't affected by that (doesn't make it any less of an issue but hear me out). Online every dickhead uses the easy option (auto everything) so if you want to avoid being raped you can't use manual passing. For the people who used semi-auto passing before, the new manual is brilliant, it's like quarter-auto passing, it still helps you out but not as much as before. But...

They should have four options next time, instead of "overwriting" manual with something that isn't manual. It's like Konami, replacing teams in the team-list instead of adding to it.

5/10? No way mate. Yes the teams are limited but gameplay is improved.
Agreed, sort of... I'd say FIFA 08 was 8/10 and Euro 08 is 7.8/10, FIFA has terrible response times and the odd dodgy keeper, Euro fixed the responses and I love CYC but the keepers are even worse, they kill the game for me, and there's less teams (although personally I don't think it's too bad, the only thing I dislike is that you play France every single game but in FIFA it's always Barcelona). I don't want to admit it but I do prefer FIFA, even though both have faults.

I agree with - I forget who it was, I'm really sorry :eh: - who said that on manual everything, the game is great and the keepers are great because on automatic, every shot is too good and it forces the keeper to spill the shot to another striker over and over and over. But you can't make everyone else play on fully manual, so...

EDIT: This is all in my opinion obviously, I know some people don't see any problem with the goalkeepers but I certainly do, I very rarely see a goal in Euro that isn't caused by them, just in the same way that other people complain about the AI in CYC and I rarely see it do something outrageous.

Last edited:
This game can't get above a 5 imo because it's not a whole game. It's only going to be worth it for about a month longer anyway, and the serious lack of teams and modes kills it completely, and that's before we look at anything else, i.e goalkeepers.

Well it's 50/50, they will take the best bits and leave the crap bits, as it was between 07 and 08 with UEFA CL, but saying that the press blurb says it's going to be "faster" and EURO was fast enough (plus interactive celebrations are in, and I cannot stand them). But I still think it will be the best of the series.

I fear they turn it into a goal arcade. Euro is a bit too fast ofr my taste, and too much accurate, specially in trapping the ball, passing and shooting. I would prefer the game to require more skill to perform this actions, and harder to master, even if that's only to those of us who play on "manual". I play manual even online. I select who I play with, only people I know or from this forum. I like to play with Scotland and Hungary ;)

Euro would rate a solid 8 in my opinion, even if it's a half-game. Single player would be rated a 6, though.

I just played 2 games on Fifa 08 - Portsmouth v Cardiff, and United - Chelsea. It was fun but the reaction times are too slow compared to Euro. Over all I prefer Euro when the computer isn't cheating to make your opponent a super team, but I think Fifa is the winner for consistently being good.

This game can't get above a 5 imo because it's not a whole game. It's only going to be worth it for about a month longer anyway, and the serious lack of teams and modes kills it completely, and that's before we look at anything else, i.e goalkeepers.

interesting comments, assuming this was the gameplay with full teams and stadiums, in that case what would ur rating be? i mean obviously its a euro game so not all teams are going to be in but lets say this was the game that fifa 09 would be, id be interested to see your thoughts, personally i like it

interesting comments, assuming this was the gameplay with full teams and stadiums, in that case what would ur rating be? i mean obviously its a euro game so not all teams are going to be in but lets say this was the game that fifa 09 would be, id be interested to see your thoughts, personally i like it
Good question. Hmm, I think I would score it lower than FIFA, imo Euro plays too fast, and I think they did this because of the type of game it is, trying to make it a bit more arcadey to capture a few more people, as they know it's shelf life is very limited. Also as others have mentioned, the manual passing is no longer manual. There are improvements too though imo, such as penalties and volleys, but then the keepers really let it down.

It would be interesting to play Euro with a vast array of club teams, I would probably stick with it as I wouldn't get so bored, so quickly. Hopefully FIFA 09 is a great mix of FIFA 08 and EURO 08. If that's the case, plus more fixes, then I will be delighted :)).

its an international only game what do you expect??
It should never be full price for a start! Complete rip off by EA and I'm glad I got £30 of my money back for it. I won't be making the same mistake in 2010.

Does anyone know how to stop the keeper from parrying every shot thrown at him? it does my nut in, also why do keepers save shots that are going out of play.

Does anyone know how to stop the keeper from parrying every shot thrown at him?

I found that selling the game totally eradicated that problem for me :DD

---

On a more serious note though I got rid of the game after about 3 weeks after the annoying keeper can't actually save a shot unless its travelling at about 1 mile an hour thing really fucked me off during an 8-1 loss against some cunt who was France against my England team online. The limited number of teams and the fact that people are only out to win and not play for fun meant that the number of games I played against France really, really got on my fucking tits.

Its not a full game by any stretch of the imagination and EA should not have released it as a full price title, they rushed to release the game in order to cash in and as such that is why it is how it is.

So many people are looking at the positives in the game and there are some but imo the negatives much outweigh them

Yes, it's quite simple really all you have to do is study games programming for a few years, then manage to get a job with EA and then simply fix the goalkeeping. Good luck :)).

Back
Top Bottom