UEFA Euro 2008

:lmao: You harsh bastard! :DD Sounds quality though mate, the volleys in Euro are MUCH improved from FIFA, as in, you can actually hit them without them ballooning over like Noted says :)).

as mentioned earlier, I have both versions (I'm not biased to any console).
the PS3 version feels much more responsive (see also official easports forums)
I couldn't see any bad graphical glitches, I'd even say the PS3 has better blur (depth of focus) effects. Of course the crowd textures look horrible without the blur effect...

Then now that's strange, because in my ps3 there's a lot of "pops" in graphics (first frames of a cutscene are missing the models that appear magically some frames after) and things that magically appear and disappear in the menus (icons and that). Not to mention that tends to crash once every session (1-2 hours long), and almost always in the cutscenes following a goal, which makes it even more fustrating.

At least this bad things are found mainly in cutscenes and menus, and during actual gameplay you only feel stuttering now and then, but there's that overall feeling of it being a rushed game.

I've just had one crash... that happened when playing the 360 ;)
But I agree, it's a rushed game, but both versions.

First I got the 360 version, as multiplatform games have played better on this console so far. But I was dissapointed (gameplay), so I gave the PS3 one another chance (...and because I have 4 PS3 controllers -> the boys will come next week, as my missus is on a road trip to Mallorca :P )

Then now that's strange, because in my ps3 there's a lot of "pops" in graphics (first frames of a cutscene are missing the models that appear magically some frames after) and things that magically appear and disappear in the menus (icons and that). Not to mention that tends to crash once every session (1-2 hours long), and almost always in the cutscenes following a goal, which makes it even more fustrating.

At least this bad things are found mainly in cutscenes and menus, and during actual gameplay you only feel stuttering now and then, but there's that overall feeling of it being a rushed game.

I hope for a patch, but I am afraid, until it would be ready, EURO is over and they won't put much attention to it then

I then hope those things will be solved for FIFA 09
should be enough time for that

I think iv finally sussed the game, or at least im scoring goals freely,even to the point that i got to the Knockout cup final with Estonia. I Played Spain in the fist game winning 4-1 followed by a 2-1 over Rep Ireland (which the guy wasnt very happy about he says im a cheating wanker for picking estonia! Am i missing something?) Beat Bulgaria in the semi 4-2 and lost in the fianl 5-4to england and i was 3-1 up!

Last edited:
What difficulty level provides the best gameplay, World class or Legendary?
Pro has the least amount of CPU cheats, crank that up to World Class if it's too easy for you. I wouldn't play on Legendary personally - I'd rather put it on Pro/WC and play as a crappy team to give myself a challenge.

Playing all manual makes the game more difficult so you can play on a lower skill level, that's what I do in Fifa08, all manual = Professional is playable.

I Played Spain in the fist game winning 4-1 followed by a 2-1 over Rep Ireland (which the guy wasnt very happy about he says im a cheating wanker for picking estonia! Am i missing something?)

Nah, you havent missed a bit. I guess you already understood that you met someone with a defeat handling issue....

After a week of playing Euro 2008 I last night decided to play PES 2008 again.
No need to say there is a huge difference between the two games, which is a good thing, because of the competition between the two AND the choice in style you have. If I must choose between the two, I see good things for both games ( I am talking about gameplay only, not the features or how good the game on-line is ).
UEFA 2008 has a fantastic system of gamepad-control with choices for fully manual passing/shooting until automatic passing/shooting and therefore more freedom in the build up. This is a huge advantage over PES.
On the other hand, PES 2008 has a MUCH better defending system. In theory you use the same buttons in both games, but the way PES worked out the way the defence reacts and how it positions the defenders is far better then UEFA 2008.
So if EA works on the defending system and Konami works on manual 360 degrees control, both games will be better. :)

Last edited:
I think iv finally sussed the game, or at least im scoring goals freely,even to the point that i got to the Knockout cup final with Estonia. I Played Spain in the fist game winning 4-1 followed by a 2-1 over Rep Ireland (which the guy wasnt very happy about he says im a cheating wanker for picking estonia! Am i missing something?) Beat Bulgaria in the semi 4-2 and lost in the fianl 5-4to england and i was 3-1 up!

:lmao: Love it!

I was beating some guy 5-1 the other day, he was Portugal and I was Poland, after he quit around the 60minute mark, I sent him a message saying he was shit, and he accused me of being shit and that he could rip me to shreds on FIFA :LOL:. I just replied with a simple "5-1" :)).

Experienced my first unfinishable match last night, where the ball goes out of play and everyone stands still. It was either me or him who had to quit, and I'm not as sad as 90% of the guys on there so I did it myself. I'm not going to leave the console on for five hours and have a few extra quid on the electricity bill purely for my DNF rating. So 3-0 awarded to him, obviously.

I don't understand how bugs like this have crept in, I know a lot has changed but you don't expect bugs like after experiencing nothing of the sort in FIFA (apart from the invisible players bug, and that was rare for me).

Online for me is good but very laggy, won both matches I played last night

Serbia 3 - Turkey 0 (Zigic x3)
Bosnia 1 - Poland 0 (Misimovic)

Good games, just wish the connections had been better!

Do online matches count for the Battle of the Nations thing ?

So if EA works on the defending system

They really need to do something drastic about it. At the moment, the defensive gameplay in this game is awful. Such a shame as the offensive gameplay is, at times, superb, albeit the tactical side needs work.

They really need to do something drastic about it. At the moment, the defensive gameplay in this game is awful. Such a shame as the offensive gameplay is, at times, superb, albeit the tactical side needs work.

One of the big problems in defense is that you need to jostle to tackle efficiently, but jostling makes for a very low speed and offensive players can turn more quickly than defenders.

As I'm in love with many features of nba 2k8, I tell you the jostling button should be something like the "lock on" feature you have there. You could press the jostling button and (depending on your player stats and distance to the opponent) your player would "lock" on the opponent, thus making your defender more eager to tackle or block the opponent. On the other side, the opponent should make more skilled movements to break and get past you.

The "lock on" should only be effective when being near the opponent and stats should make the difference in effectivenes. Those who play nba 2k8 would understand what I'm telling.

And, of course, the other thing they should do is put a lot more "weight" on players and have a lot more pushes. I want to be able to push the players no matter if I'm behind them. I would be awarded a lot of fouls, but that would make pression a lot more effective. Add to that yellow cards for "repetitive" fouls and you have a nive deffensive system relying on strategy, skill and stats.

Last edited:
Defensive problems for me are worse against the CPU when the whole team turns into Messis and Maradonas, dribbling around and around and around, with inch perfect passes in between. I almost broke a controller last night because of this. :)

By joggle you mean jostle?

The real problem with defence in this game is that every single cpu player is given ridiculously quick acceleration and agility when you try to approach him. It is virtually impossible to get close to even the likes of Faroese and Andorran players as they all have magical skills to skip away from you.

So, you are left with having to use the second defender press button to get another defender to come in and do the pressing for you, which is hardly very involving or satisfying in gameplay terms.

The game is a bit like PES in that it can be both brilliant and awful, all in the space of 10 seconds.

Last edited:
There's no point in playing offline single player. Really. I've tried so many times. It's all down to lazyness and disregard about this mode. But then again, all these problems only arise to us hardcore gamers and we are minority and they already sell millions. They could implement good ideas with realitve low cost (what I proposed about "locking" on defense can be coded in some weeks, actually), but they don't.

One of the big problems in defense is that you need to jostle to tackle efficiently, but jostling makes for a very low speed and offensive players can turn more quickly than defenders.

As I'm in love with many features of nba 2k8, I tell you the jostling button should be something like the "lock on" feature you have there. You could press the jostling button and (depending on your player stats and distance to the opponent) your player would "lock" on the opponent, thus making your defender more eager to tackle or block the opponent. On the other side, the opponent should make more skilled movements to break and get past you.

The "lock on" should only be effective when being near the opponent and stats should make the difference in effectivenes. Those who play nba 2k8 would understand what I'm telling.

And, of course, the other thing they should do is put a lot more "weight" on players and have a lot more pushes. I want to be able to push the players no matter if I'm behind them. I would be awarded a lot of fouls, but that would make pression a lot more effective. Add to that yellow cards for "repetitive" fouls and you have a nive deffensive system relying on strategy, skill and stats.
but alot of 2k8 gamers think the lock on feature is cheating.... :) althought your right all sports games shoudl model themselves after 2k8, the best and greatest sim game of all time

By joggle you mean jostle?

Of course! *Edited the post*

And this jostling "lock on" would mean that while you are "lock on" your opponent can't get past you, even if he turns, allowing you to tackle. That would ammend most of the problems with aI cheating.

I strongly recommend you to try the locking no in nba 2k8, to me it's a very good idea that only needs more refined implementation regarding physics.

but alot of 2k8 gamers think the lock on feature is cheating.... :)

Yes, I'm aware of that, as the effectiveness of pick&roll, but overall is a feature that makes defenders harder to break and it makes for a more realistic gameplay. I think the idea is good and only needs refinement.

Would be nice to hear other defensive ideas, because it's the weakest point of any sports game.

guys

silly question, im trying to play euro knockout cup with a mate online, how do u play two onto someone else if possible? cheers

Yes, I'm aware of that, as the effectiveness of pick&roll, but overall is a feature that makes defenders harder to break and it makes for a more realistic gameplay. I think the idea is good and only needs refinement.

Would be nice to hear other defensive ideas, because it's the weakest point of any sports game.

but thats only online, vs the cpu you cant exploit it as much, the AI in 2k8 is fantastic, i love that friggin game

just read u cant do this, can someone confirm? very dissapointing
True, it's so that people can't "cheat" gamerpoints out of the game. Although why you can't just have a popup that says "you will earn no gamerscore for this match if you continue" I don't know.

I don't think it's something EA know/care about.

Of course! *Edited the post*

And this jostling "lock on" would mean that while you are "lock on" your opponent can't get past you, even if he turns, allowing you to tackle. That would ammend most of the problems with aI cheating.

I strongly recommend you to try the locking no in nba 2k8, to me it's a very good idea that only needs more refined implementation regarding physics.

I don't think there should be a lock on feature. That might work in basketball but I don't think it would work in football. Someone suggested, and maybe it was you, that there should be more pushing and pulling. I think that would help to slow down the attacking player and give the defender more of a chance. Now I think the attacking player should have a little advantage in 1 v 1 situations with the defender. Granted I don't have the game yet.

Haven't played nba2k8 so I don't know how it works but even the words "lock on" scare me a bit. It sounds like you don't actually do anything in terms of gameplay, but the cpu just makes your guy stick automatically to the opponent. Please enlighten me.

I haven't played PES in a long time but I don't recall having the same feeling of disappointment with the defensive system. The player physics in EURO08 goes to shit when it comes to defending, with obvious cpu cheats that make it unplayable. I know PES was a cpu cheat-fest but I don't remember it having this one. You could actually go in and challenge players....couldn't you?

Of course not, the players have an invisible forcefield around them. It's the worst CPU cheat of the lot, especially in PES2008. You rebound off of thin air.

Back
Top Bottom