UEFA Euro 2008

I use the CPU press button quite a lot, against humans on XBL too, like pboreham says, I use my controlled player to jockey / cover space and then get the CPU to harass them like mad!

Thanks for this (and other contributions yesterday) in the one quick game I had it seemed to work well. I had to move the player switching down to very low though otherwise as I'm trying to use the CPU to hassle I was finding it was auto-switching to me :-)

I tell you a big (and positive) difference on this game to any other I have ever played is I'm just happy to get a win now. The whole bigger picture is now felt more due to the atmosphere etc.

I had a qualifying game against Northern Ireland at Wembley and I won 1-0 but rather than pressing for a second, and a third, as I would have done in FIFA08, I was happy to sit back, soak up pressure and try and catch them on the break.

There's just so much more game intelligence now and it's bloody great.

I was glad to play FIFA08 this morning and found I still enjoyed it. Glad Euro08 (though better) hasnt ruined it for me!

Lots of months of footie to play before FIFA09 :D

Now that people have played Euro for a bit, can you confirm if the majorly fucking ridiculous AI substitutions are still in?

Playing Fifa yesterday and today......

Tottenham: Take off Zokora and bring Darren Bent on at LCM

Man Utd: Take off Rooney and Tevez and bring on Hargreaves and Pique to play LF/RF

Liverpool: Take off Gerrard and bring Crouch on to play midfield......

There's a ton more but fortunately I've blocked them out, they HAVE to fix this for Fifa09 if it's not already fixed.......

captain your country = play for urself I always call for the ball always hog it always just go for goal and always end up scoring 3-5 a a game and getting a 9-10 rating :)

my tourny ended as me as goldenboot me as player of the tournament me with 61 goals

average rating of 9.8 however I got dropped from the England team after scoring a hat trick in friendly (my performance was not god enough)

MOTM Hat trick and a 9.9 rating doesn't please Mclaren proving even more how realistic this game is by Mclaren not selecting a world beater in his squad :LOL:

I think you have a different game matey.

I don't believe that you got a 9.9 and was dropped?! I only got dropped once for my second or third qualifier because I got a 5 rating - I played it on Professional aswell.

If you are getting 9.9 you are more than likely beating the other 3 players on your team that are against you - this usually insures you are captain - So I can't believe you got dropped! your game must be faulty.

Also did you make your own player from scratch? as the amount of goals you say you get is impressive. I think it is impossible when you start out.

You must be an unbelievable player! :SHOCK:

I got an achievement for 'Captaining Your Country', but I wasnt chosen as captain as the game I was playing, nor the one after!?

Only thing I can think of is that the captain during the game went off injured and I got the armband?

Now that people have played Euro for a bit, can you confirm if the majorly fucking ridiculous AI substitutions are still in?

Unfortunally... yes !

Lampard replaces Owen.
Defenders are replaced by defenders when there are only a few minutes left and the CPU is behind

Playing Fifa yesterday and today......

Tottenham: Take off Zokora and bring Darren Bent on at LCM

Man Utd: Take off Rooney and Tevez and bring on Hargreaves and Pique to play LF/RF

Liverpool: Take off Gerrard and bring Crouch on to play midfield......

There's a ton more but fortunately I've blocked them out, they HAVE to fix this for Fifa09 if it's not already fixed.......

Hi mate.

As someone who found this thing just as annoying as you I have been watching out for it.

The AI of the managers is a lot more advanced now - they finally do change formation when needing an equaliser etc. As for individual players - not knowing the international scene as well as the EPL I can't 100% vouch for it but from what I've seen, there's nothing as silly as the very real examples you mentioned above.

Trezeguet comes on for Anelka for example, Nasri for Makelele (OK, Nasri is more attacking but he still plays very centrally).

EDIT - ah, yes, I had forgotten about Lamps for Owen.......I don't remember the scenario though.

Last edited:
Unfortunally... yes !

Lampard replaces Owen.
Defenders are replaced by defenders when there are only a few minutes left and the CPU is behind

Also all substitution seem to be around 80-90 min mark no changes earlier in game. Not been subbed myself in CYC even when i done absolute rubbish a little niggle i have with the mode i think adding this will put more pressure on you to perform.

in CYC mode - are you able just to play on your own so you dont have to pick 3 other CPU players?

Just annoying when you pick players like Walcott etc and then Rooney etc are not playing so they can play instead.....

I got it last night, it's a good game, very playable. Passing is crisp, defending is generally very good and you can build up nice attacking play.

I am dissapointed by the lack of licences though. A cursory glance through the teams revealed the following all had fake names and kits:-

Belarus (e.g. Hliev instead of Hleb), Macedonia (e.g. Panov instead of Pandev), Serbia (e.g. Bustan instead of Basta), Wales (e.g. Preece instead of Price), Iceland (Gossenjohn instead of Eidur Gudjohnsen), I'm sure there are a few more teams too. It's not a big deal because you can manually edit them (takes ages as when you edit one player from say Wales it bumps you back to your squad (say Ireland) and you then have to scroll back through to Wales). Also Mutu is wrong again. The trouble is none of these players look that like their real life counterparts and there are no call commentary names. I dont know why they couldnt include these in some form given players like Pandev, Hleb, Stankovic etc were in FIFA 08. It just means that if you are playing say Wales v Slovakia or Holland v Belarus the game feels a bit flat as none of the players have call names.

And the Dutch team is totally messed up with names having no resemblance to any proper players.

These teams above all have fake kits too, as well as teams with proper names like Slovakia, Russia and some others having fake kits. As others have noted Portugals kits are all out of date, Croatia's away is out of date (despite the NEW kit being worn in Nov 07 vs England), Turkey is out of date too, possibly Belgium too.

Like I say it's a superb engine, a game that could have been great, but with such a lack of teams (no non European ones like Argentina Japan etc for friendlies) and licence issues (from what I recall these were not present in World Cup 2006) and dodgy out of date kits, it feels a bit cheap. You could have a Serbia v Holland final in Euro 2008 and fake names and fake kits, it would be like a good version of World Tour Soccer. Even in the intro you see teams like Holland, Portugal, Russia etc lifting the trophy with fake / old kits... it's pretty poor from an EA Sports game. To be honest even if they had included a simple in game kit editor they could have solved most of the kit problems.

Some people might not be at all bothered by this, but IMO £35 is too much to charge for a game with around 50 teams of which at least 15 are incomplete / in accurate.

I hope EA releases a patch with up to date kits for licenced teams like Portugal, Turkey, Croatia etc.

we played CYC last night and didn't make it to the finals as usual

there must be a patch in the pipeline to stop the manager putting you in positions you cant play though

my mate chose centre back and he was playing left and right back all the time. I chose CM and i was playing right and left mid all the time

whats the point in choosing positions if you never get played there?

my mate got the captaincy and put me centre mid for the first time in the game when i should be there anyway and i got MOTM and a rating of 9.3 yet the next match im back on Left Mid!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone tried DMC to see if you get played centre mid?
i have tried CM, RCM and LCM and they all get you played on the wing

CW picked DMF in our first one and they put him on the right wing. I have picked CAM in my new one and they put me left wing :LOL:.

They need to patch it so you can also be subbed in CYC mode, and also, if your 3 opponents play shit, then they get dropped and miss a game or two. It's too much about the individual at the mo.

I played as Scotland v England. Was 2-0 up early in 2nd half so they took off Ferdinand and put on Barry. At first, I thought they might be going for a 3-5-2 and attack, but no, Barry played at CB and I scored 2 more easy goals.

I think I've had the best one yet, in me and CW's first CYC campaign, Rio Ferdinand and John Terry go off, Peter Crouch and Darren Bent come on........and play as CBs! :-ll :MAD:

Come FIFA 09 EA have no more excuses regarding the A.I tactical changes during a game. This better be fixed!

Yeah, exactly. I mean can it really be that hard to implement formation, tactical and personnel changes correctly being made by the CPU?

Maybe this bad managing is some kind of making it more difficult on purpose. See it as a difficulty-level. In real life you see often managers putting players at the wrong position.

No way, you can't even begin to defend these ridiculous subs, it's stupid. All we want is for CPU to maybe go 4-3-3 if they need a goal and bring a 3rd striker on, or go 5-4-1 if they are leading and bring an extra defender on. Shouldn't be hard really.

No way, you can't even begin to defend these ridiculous subs, it's stupid. All we want is for CPU to maybe go 4-3-3 if they need a goal and bring a 3rd striker on, or go 5-4-1 if they are leading and bring an extra defender on. Shouldn't be hard really.

If Pro Evo could do this years ago then it can't be beyond EA.

Saying that, it could be argued that the tactical AI of the opposition is secondary, in priorities, to getting ball physics, player responsiveness etc right.

I'm sure we'd all agree but hope/pray that now they have a level playing field in EURO2008 that the big push, development-wise, now will be this element that we're all moaning about.

I have a few question...

How the fouls rating in this game?? can you keep on pressuring without getting any fouls?( old arcadish fifa style)

and how you feel when your one vs keeper, dod you feel like you can do anything or just shoot... I mean rounding the keeper etc...

so hows the foul frequencie???
and can you pressure (preservative tackle)like crazy like before and the only way to kept possesion was moving right to left arcadishly??

Back
Top Bottom