UEFA Euro 2008

The morale pendulum system came into force, Spain lost a lot of confidence (this has far too much of an effect I think) and the guy changed to a more attacking formation. As soon as he did, every forward pass I made was to a striker with one man to beat.

You're right. The PES style "morale pendulum" is overbearing. For me, good matches are ruined once it comes into play.

If it's on your side, you can just effortlessly flick the ball around and create easy chances. 40 yard ground passes go through a mass of players straight to your receiving player. It takes no skill. I almost start to feel sorry for my opponent as I see how hard it is for him now, struggling away and nothing is coming off for him. I almost feel a sense of duty to try and score spectacular team goals rather than just waltz it into the net 5 times.

If it's against you, you may as well put down your controller as you can only pass about 5 yards to a guy who has no opponenet within 10 yards (ie.across the back line). In that situation, I particularly dislike the way, when you try to play a simple 10 yard pass forward, the cpu controls the opponents player to sprint in and win the ball for him before he's even taken control of him, whilst you cannot move you guy until the ball is lost. It's basically scripted gameplay.

...reverting back to FIFA. It wasnt even good whilst it lasted :D

Give me 5v5 online anyday over this PES mock up :)

Did the same last night. The smile returned to my face.

Would love to try Euro08 in 5v5 mode as the gameplay and control FIFA does seem a bit less slick now in comparison.

Glad to see on-line that plenty of people are sticking with FIFA08 so 5v5 will keep me going until I see what FIFA09 brings.

Thanks for all the help re the dirty disk.

Just gonna watch MOTD from last night and then try again. If it still does it with other games, I *may* get it on the PS3 as no point getting it again for the 360 if its gonna die.

I cannot send the 360 away for repair as the kid I brought it off had opened the casing to see if he could flash it... fucking idiot.

If anyone has any other ideas for repairs, that'd be great.

Played my first online cup game last night - I was Spain v Czechs and was a really good game - though I was losing 2-0 when DDE came up and it booted me out. Felt bad as the guy prob thought I quit.

I think what would make this game close to perfect (from what everyone is feeding back on), is a fucking slider system!?

EA do it in most of their other games - why not FIFA. I.e. as JB said, momentum and also attacking/defending bias, tackle amount, player skills etc.

Would give us all the chance to play the game WE want... come on EA!

More on the dirty disk errors - as I've done some research on possible repairs etc and found some info that is relevent.

When I'm playing the game, the drive is really noisy - clicking, 'grinding' noises and the drive spins up and down searching for info, meaning sometimes the commentary stutters or pauses for a few seconds.

Would you guys say its worth trying another disk, or is it the 360 failing? And also the info I read said a normal CD drive cleaner can fix the issues 9 times out of 10? Is this worth a go or is it a waste of time/money?

Thanks for any help! I dont want another excuse to dump the 360 :D

Just in case, can anyone who has the PS3 version tell me how bad the framerate is (is it worse than demo - which was ok) - and if there are any other probs.

Cheers!

In CYC, all my shots hit the bar or the post. I'm losing my mind. It's happening almost 5 times per match.

The 6 minute halfs are a real shame. Yesterday I had a game IU was 4-1 down at half time. I was Crotia and he was Itlay. I was gutted. Second half I got to grips with his forwards and ended up winning 6-4. Now don't get me wrong I loved teh fact I won, but I don't want 10 goal games. To be fair my next 2 games were 1-0 wins to me but then I beat another dude 6-1 and I really could have scored 20 I was clean through so many times but I felt bad and didn't score. The 6 mins drags these one sided encounters out for too long.

Sometimes Lower Teams can make better results than Big Teams.... so i have stopped playing as Germany or France... its strange but they play to offensive and open up rooms for passes! So lower Teams watch out their defence. I use the counter attack in Formations and it helps. 3 Times i won against England and France!

More on the dirty disk errors - as I've done some research on possible repairs etc and found some info that is relevent.

When I'm playing the game, the drive is really noisy - clicking, 'grinding' noises and the drive spins up and down searching for info, meaning sometimes the commentary stutters or pauses for a few seconds.

Would you guys say its worth trying another disk, or is it the 360 failing? And also the info I read said a normal CD drive cleaner can fix the issues 9 times out of 10? Is this worth a go or is it a waste of time/money?

Thanks for any help! I dont want another excuse to dump the 360 :D
Those noises are a bad sign... I have also those read errors, but without the noises.
Just examine if the DVD is scratched, because that's what this can do. It is a common 360 defect and that mostly starts with those noises.
I am afraid your 360 needs to go to repair soon :(

jack u are all over the place with your comments, when fifa came out it was like you saw god and now u dont like it? make up your mind, this is game is fantastic
i bet you fella's are all single, one minute you loved her then you didn't then you did then you didn't etc etc etc
:SHHH:

Did I not say I still loved the game? Did I not say it's the best football game I've played? Did I not say Captain Your Country is the best game mode I've played?

All I did was point out the half-length being too long and the goalkeepers being a bit crappy online. Guys like you make me wonder why I actually bother posting any more. I'm giving my opinion, why is it such a fucking crime on here now?

Last edited:
hiya just playing uefa euro 2008 and i must admit i think it is an imrovement on fifa 08. i have one quick question does anyone know if you can use your created player from captain your country in normal matches. I know you can edit players but thats not the same it just seems a it silly that you can only create a player in captail your country mode and not e ale to do it for the normal mates.

have fun

Did I not say I still loved the game? Did I not say it's the best football game I've played? Did I not say Captain Your Country is the best game mode I've played?

All I did was point out the half-length being too long and the goalkeepers being a bit crappy online. Guys like you make me wonder why I actually bother posting any more. I'm giving my opinion, why is it such a fucking crime on here now?

just the sort of response i expected from u, u cant handle it that not EVERYONE loves u on here jack, what did i say that was so wrong mate? a bit sensitive are we?

just the sort of response i expected from u, u cant handle it that not EVERYONE loves u on here jack, what did i say that was so wrong mate? a bit sensitive are we?
Am I posting personal abuse to you? No. I said that responses like that make me wonder why I still post here. Don't make it personal.

I am getting a 360 probably next weekend.

Should I get this game of FIFA 08? UEFA sounds amazing, but is it that much better that I should sacrafice the vast amount of club teams?

I guess the main factor will be what will you guys be playing online from now on UEFA or 08?

Should I get this game of FIFA 08? UEFA sounds amazing, but is it that much better that I should sacrafice the vast amount of club teams?

I guess the main factor will be what will you guys be playing online from now on UEFA or 08?
It's in the mixer mate, I'd say 80/20 are playing UEFA over FIFA. The response times killed FIFA for me in the end, whereas in UEFA the games are too high-scoring but the reaction times - if you get a good connection - are great. I will be playing UEFA but I know two forum members who have had enough of 4-0s and 5-2s.

Get FIFA, More modes, less aggrivating goalies, more realistic scorelines and more fun.

Its more simulation than UEFA thats for sure.

Happy to say that I dusted the DVD drawer and all seems to be well again (played The Club first so it may have helped!?)...

Anyway, to answer "Shooto"... Euro is a better game mate. FIFA is still good and yea, you get all the teams, but to be honest - and a few have found this - its only the better teams that you get a better game with.

I'm a fan of a lower league side, and its just frustrating and slow trying to play them, so the choice of teams becomes limited anyway.

There is really good depth to Euro. Aside from the brilliant Captain Your Country mode, the Euro 2008 mode has got loads of depth as you can start right at the start of the qualifying campaign, including friendlies, so you are gonna get a seasons worth of games out of that anyway!

Doing a qualifying campaign with England myself at the moment and its so good - going away to Estonia and grinding out a 2-0 win, then thumping San Marino 5-0 at Wembley!

is nobody else getting constant stuttering and slow downs when playing online on PS3?
even when setting up a custom game with a good connection

CYC is the best mode I've ever played, and the potential for FIFA09 is just amazing.

I love the game, altough I have to say the keepers really suck (or well, they're unrealistic), just as they did in FIFA08. I can understand that it is difficult to make perfect keeper-AI. But they make so fucking many easy misstakes that it's redicoulous. Their positioning is crap most of the time - stay in the fucking middle of the goal when I cross. They cover way to much of the secong post and not enough of the first. And what is most fucking annoying and something you learn when you're 6 six years old - never, ever fall back when you're trying to make a save. ALWAYS fall/throw yourself forward. PLEASE! I'd like to meet the guy who does the keeper-AI, to be honest I reallu doubt he have ever played as a goalkeeper.

CYC mode is really good.

First match I partnered JEnas in CM and got 9.9 with MOM.

I am now captain for the luxembourg game :D

Just had a good game on Live:

MACEDONIA 0-1 Sweden

I set my mentality as All Out Defence, and just sat back and let him try and break me down. He wasn't getting much change out of me and I was actually countering him quite well, but not creating much of my own. 0-0 at HT and then in the 2nd half I got caught committing too many men forward and he hit me on the counter, and played a nice through ball and Ibra got away and smashed in to the net. I went to Attack mentality for the last 10, but didn't create any clear chances. Was a great game though :)).

Ive find CYC to be frustrating. I'm using Italy and am playing as striker. So I basically watch my team play until they decide to attack. Every game against smaller teams like Cyprus, Lithuania and Andorra, our possession is lower than 50%. I just end up watching my stupid players watching/chasing opposing players because they cant ever build up play without making stupid mistakes or just can't ever tackle the opposing team.

mate, i wasn't digging you out just think it's funny how one minute people are loving it and then they don't....every game has things we'd like to change but this is the best footie game to date IMO..even with it's faults

I am scared of posting my opinions in here due to the hammering that I will get from those who love the game and are blind to its faults...

Well you can ban them anyway, so go ahead. I am interested as to why you don't even want to get into the game?

Back
Top Bottom