UEFA Euro 2008

Yea, I agree Dags, its the way some people do it on here (not you!) - like its the 'be-all-and-end-all' and the world is ending.

The bugs in FIFA arent THAT bad (i've had one myself - had a corner and the AI cleared it, but my whole team stayed in the box whilst the other team broke. I dont mean they were slow getting back, I mean they held their position! LOL), but I didnt jump on here complaining in the strongest possible terms.

Being a programmer (not of games) I know how hard it is and whilst I'm not defending shoddy workmanship, I think the odd bug is bound to slip out in games. I didnt let that bug worry me above and it probably will never happen again.

Maybe I've got bigger things to worry about in life!!! :D

I agree. At the end of the day, in the grand scheme of things, there are some big flaws in Euro which piss me off a fair bit. BUT on the whole, the game is VERY enjoyable, very realistic and gives a great game of football :BY:

Ah yea, totally agree with you that thats unrealistic. I was trying to put across that this probably happens to give the player the challenge they need on 'Expert' level. I dont know how else they can do it with the current set up.

If the AI played the same level in the game, you would win 10-1 on Easy and 50-1 on Expert... which people would complain about.

Tricky one!

If it was me, I think I would be inclined to make stats more important than what they are. I think the general game settings (Pro, World Class, Legendary) are far too powerful and override the stats of players too much.

I would prefer to see stats used to more effect so that the San Marino players aren't capable of spraying balls about. Challenge or not, it's not realistic. And isn't that what we all want, realism? Or arcade?

I suppose that's an option? Real or arcade options? If you choose Real, then the stats reflect the difficulty. Arcade and you have a global setting that reflects the difficulty.

Anyone here played All-Pro Football 2k8? That doesn't have any ratings, no difficulty settings at all. What it does have are skills. Some players are great at running with the ball, some are great at catching, some have superior strength and so on. I thought that was an excellent way of reflecting players, personally.

You'd see England with players like Gerrard with skills like hard worker, expert at long range passing, arrives late in the box etc. And you'd see San Marino players with VERY little skills which make them stand out.

I agree. At the end of the day, in the grand scheme of things, there are some big flaws in Euro which piss me off a fair bit. BUT on the whole, the game is VERY enjoyable, very realistic and gives a great game of football :BY:

Agree totally - same as Coopz and, I think JB said, best footie game in years!

Favourite bug I have heard, in a match of France v Germany :

"Joe Cole is a player with great skill"

Or something along those lines.

If it was me, I think I would be inclined to make stats more important than what they are. I think the general game settings (Pro, World Class, Legendary) are far too powerful and override the stats of players too much.

I would prefer to see stats used to more effect so that the San Marino players aren't capable of spraying balls about. Challenge or not, it's not realistic. And isn't that what we all want, realism? Or arcade?

I suppose that's an option? Real or arcade options? If you choose Real, then the stats reflect the difficulty. Arcade and you have a global setting that reflects the difficulty.

Anyone here played All-Pro Football 2k8? That doesn't have any ratings, no difficulty settings at all. What it does have are skills. Some players are great at running with the ball, some are great at catching, some have superior strength and so on. I thought that was an excellent way of reflecting players, personally.

You'd see England with players like Gerrard with skills like hard worker, expert at long range passing, arrives late in the box etc. And you'd see San Marino players with VERY little skills which make them stand out.

Yea, this was the same complaint levelled at FIFA - that all the players 'feel' the same and the hardness is governed by the overall skill.

Certainly one for FIFA to think about addressing for 09 as I think thats about the only thing I miss from PES6 - i.e. if you got it to Ronaldo, you knew you could run it as you were quicker than most etc.

I agree completely, I've bitched loud and long about the horrendous "game design" they used in the underdog logic in Fifa08, they should look at how small teams find success against big teams, it's not realistic that underdogs magically can dribble like Ronaldo, Tackle like Terry and pass like Gerrard simply because they're playing a much stronger team. Watch any match where a crap team finds success against a good team, it's down to tactics, work rate, closing down space, utilising set pieces as and when they manage to win any........

I'm still writing letters to Jesus every night asking for a Captain Your Country online patch before the tournament starts.

The game, against cpu, is the same bullshit as FIFA 08.

I just had to endure 2 human mins of an andorran striker turn my players about 25 times.

I'm only playing on professional but I'm not finding Andorra players going on long mazy dribbles. I'll put it up to World Class when I have to restart but that's the kind of thing I'm scared of happening if I do.

I have the game!!!! - I won't be able to play it for a couple more hours though. Since I have been away there have been about 40 pages of chat on this and I can't read through it all. Can somebody give me a quick bullet points of what is good and Bad?

Cheers :DD

Ps Just choosing my team for the league :DD

Reaction times and game speed are slower than the demo but spot on now.

CYC is awesome.

A few people think the AI can be quite poor at times, especially on CYC.

The game is HARD when teams pack the defence, you wont be smashing 12 goals passed San Marino with ease.

It's a great game.

That's a quick summary ;))

Reaction times and game speed are slower than the demo but spot on now.

CYC is awesome.

A few people think the AI can be quite poor at times, especially on CYC.

The game is HARD when teams pack the defence, you wont be smashing 12 goals passed San Marino with ease.

It's a great game.

That's a quick summary ;))

Sounds good - Shame about the single player that Kev mentioned - But I never played much single anyway.

I will have a go soon :DD

I agree completely, I've bitched loud and long about the horrendous "game design" they used in the underdog logic in Fifa08, they should look at how small teams find success against big teams, it's not realistic that underdogs magically can dribble like Ronaldo, Tackle like Terry and pass like Gerrard simply because they're playing a much stronger team. Watch any match where a crap team finds success against a good team, it's down to tactics, work rate, closing down space, utilising set pieces as and when they manage to win any........

Yup, for me, the 10 man defence thing is fine although they really ought to foul more and generally harass you. How many times have you been fouled (and awarded the free-kick) by the cpu? Barely ever...whenever they tackle, it's invariably a perfect, clean tackle, even though they're standing behind you.

I'd like to see these teams play ugly. It should be a frustrating stop-start game through their physicality and them biting at your ankles, rather than frustrating as they play possession football with immaculate skill in the middle of the pitch.

I'd also like to see these teams have goalkeepers that weren't clones of Peter Cech pulling off world-class save after save. They're from the Faroes, they play for Faroese clubs, that's because they're not very good.

When they clear the ball, it should be hopeful balls up the park, not scripted to land right at the feet of their sole striker. They should be aimed more into space for their players to try to run on to.

They should also slice the ball more and hoof it into the stands. Notice how nearly all their clearances are perfect kicks, even though they sometimes have to spin 180 degrees to clear it, all at astounding speed.

Their players should be far less composed on the ball, prone to mis-controlling it when they receive passes, and often resort to playing it back to their defence. They should be easier to harass and win the ball off than the better teams.

Their passing should be less accurate. They should rely more on speculative long balls towards into the box rather than patient silky football.

EA have made a step in the right direction, but I'd really like to see them work on different abiltities of players and different styles of play.

Last edited:
Anybody else think EA have rushed this game a bit.

They should have released it nearer the tournament and ironed out the bugs.

But now they will have a game at market holding its value longer, launch it later, less profit making time, as soon as the tourny is over, no one will want to buy the game. That's why it's been released as early as possible.

Yup, for me, the 10 man defence thing is fine although they really ought to foul more and generally harass you. How many times have you been fouled (and awarded the free-kick) by the cpu? Barely ever...whenever they tackle, it's invariably a perfect, clean tackle, even though they're standing behind you.

I'd like to see these teams play ugly. It should be a frustrating stop-start game through their physicality and them biting at your ankles, rather than frustrating as they play possession football with immaculate skill in the middle of the pitch.

I'd also like to see these teams have goalkeepers that weren't clones of Peter Cech pulling off world-class save after save. They're from the Faroes, they play for Faroese clubs, that's because they're not very good.

When they clear the ball, it should be hopeful balls up the park, not scripted to land right at the feet of their sole striker. They should be aimed more into space for their players to try to run on to.

They should also slice the ball more and hoof it into the stands. Notice how nearly all their clearances are perfect kicks, even though they sometimes have to spin 180 degrees to clear it, all at astounding speed.

EA have made a step in the right direction, but I'd really like to see them work on different abiltities of players and different styles of play.

Excellent post. The last paragraph is spot on, that has to be the next step for EA. The general model is great but we need to be able to differentiate between players a lot more. Especially when seeing France v Faroe Island, you should CLEARLY be able to see the players from the Faroe's are clearly nowhere near as good as France. And they wouldn't have the skill/tactical knowledge to be able to outplay France whatsoever, nevermind inch perfect passes and quality long balls to the striker who can hold off defenders with ease due to his excellent ball control.

The CYC mode is awesome, but incredibly flawed. When you start a new CYC, the option is there to "Continue Your Career", but when you go into it, it says that you have no saved players that are not already playing in existing tournaments. Which is wrong as we have finished our previous tournament after losing in the Final.

It seems odd to have a Continue button, that doesn't work!?

It definately does work mate, I'm not entirely sure what I've done but I've carried on using my created player in my second tournament now. And he's still got the stats from the first tournament as well.

It might have something to do with the end of the tournament, there's a few options and one says to return to default squads etc. I'm sure I clicked the option to just continue and when I started a new CYC, I was able to choose my player again.

Beforehand I was playing 2 humans and 2 CPU, this CYC is just using my character though.

And it still let you continue using your character from the 2 player CYC? Are you definately selecting Continue Your Career and not copy existing player?

When you did your 2 player CYC, was your mate signed in as a guest or did he recover his gamertag and sign in with that?

Back
Top Bottom