UEFA Euro 2008

Postman has been, no copy again. Three days now to get something sent by Recorded Delivery, no point using ShopTo anymore then it seems. Good thing we got it from Asda yesterday.

Incidently ShopTo say they will refund your money if you send the game back within seven days but what if I don't get the game within seven days?

I have never experienced this. The weak teams literally camp out in their half and I have found there forward often isolated when he gets the ball. Once you score they do commit more forward but if they score or it's level they defend very deep. I had a situation yesterday where there keeper held the ball for the full countdown everytime he got in the last 20 mins. It was frustrating but realistic.

Ok that's good to know thanks, so I guess small team AI is based on Greece's Euro 2004 winning tactics, 10 men behind the ball at all times, whenever near the opponents box dive as much as possible to try to get freekicks, score, defend for the rest of the match........

The BAP cam is really good if you play central mid but pretty much unworkable if you're a winger I reckon.

CM makes it a lot easier to mark using BAP, not sure why but I feel I have more control of the player as opposed to CoOp cam where the player feels looser and moves a bit too quickly.

I also think the BAP cam zooms in too much when you get the ball as sometimes there's no options available ahead of you and you can't see anyone behind you to pass to.

Played a few more CYC games as a winger and I still hate the ratings system. You just can't stick to the arrows telling you where you need to be because if you do, you're completely out of the game. You're too far away from the ball for the CPU to want to pass to you and if you ask for a pass, the pass is always shit because it's got to travel so far. Shit arrows. But if you turn the arrows off and just play how you want to, dropping into the centre of midfield at times to collect the ball, you can get your ratings up. Not exactly realistic if you want to play as a player who hugs the sideline (as I used to play in 5v5) but it's the only way to get points.

And FAR too many points are awarded for getting tackles in (2? 3?) whereas if you whip a cross in and the forward gets to it, you get something like 0.2 points. Which is further evidence to me that the ratings system is so unbalanced and suits central players more.

Obviously I haven't played the game myself, but if what you say is correct you should raise the issue to EA through their forums (or directly), there's at least one roster update coming before the tournament kicks off so it's possible there's a bug fix update coming as well, if so be good to ensure there's something useful in it :)

Played more CYC this morning (Southends Belgian prodigy, Franck Moussa!) and it really is a superb football game.

I regret my bitchy rant last night as this isnt the right place (or thread!) to do it, but my frustration was people nit-picking stupid faults in a very good game.

Just everything about this is as close to my enjoyment of PES6 (and formerly SWOS back in the day). Its responsive (spot on IMO), allows for enough creative freedom - more than FIFA and is well presented.

Things they should definately carry from this to FIFA09...

* The responsiveness

* 'Captain Your Club' - create a player and start in lower Div team, with the aim of eventually becomming Footballer of the Year.

* The front end feel is very good IMO

* Weather

* One little thing I love (and it surprised me last night), is the latest score box from other games during your match. Nice touch!

* The online integration/scoring - i.e. instant leaderboards.

Loads of other little things too, but man, if EA get it right for FIFA09 then we will all be very happy I'm sure.

I regret my bitchy rant last night as this isnt the right place (or thread!) to do it, but my frustration was people nit-picking stupid faults in a very good game.

I disagree, you shouldn't regret it, anti-nitpicking rants every now and then serve to keep this place honest, as much as it's perfectly valid to bitch about what's broken, or buggy, or missing or whatever it's important that we all remember to keep it real from time to time, after all some of us remember the days when the best football gaming had to offer was......

InternationalSoccer_Animation.gif

Internation Soccer on the C64

Or.......

Match_Day_Goal.png

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=It2PGpFppN8

Match Day on the ZX Spectrum, both circa 1984/85

Is nobody else noticing how awful the keepers are at holding onto the ball? I've lost count of how many weak crosses along the ground that the goalie has pushed away to a strikers foot, or weak shots that he parries down to the ground right next to a striker.

I'm SURE the handling has dropped since 08, the keepers just seem to have butter fingers these days.

Italy needs white shorts and the colour of the uni is really wrong. in reality it is a much darker blue.

Last edited:
Hmm just went to do the online cup and got asked to update the squads. I didn't think there was an update out until the squads are announced?

I disagree, you shouldn't regret it, anti-nitpicking rants every now and then serve to keep this place honest, as much as it's perfectly valid to bitch about what's broken, or buggy, or missing or whatever it's important that we all remember to keep it real from time to time, after all some of us remember the days when the best football gaming had to offer was......

Or.......

Perhaps! Just felt like pissing in the wind with the way people are at the moment.

And dont be dissing International Soccer! That was a great game (C64 cartridge IIRC!) and without it, Audiogenic would never have brought us the REAL 1st football game - Emlyn Hughes.

Always remember by Dad being in awe of that game - "its got headers?!" - 'yes, Dad' - "its got sliding tackles!?" - 'yes, Dad' - "incredible!!!"

How times have changed eh!

I had Match Day II on C64 and that was one sloooooow game, but aluringly addictive!

Always remember by Dad being in awe of that game - "its got headers?!" - 'yes, Dad' - "its got sliding tackles!?" - 'yes, Dad' - "incredible!!!"

How times have changed eh!
"Has it got Prenton Park in?" - 'No dad' - "SHIT GAME!!"

does anyone know if you can edit your Captain Your country players? Ive made myself and now I want different boots since ive unlocked some now and I cant see where I can edit my guy :(

Don't think you can unless you start again.

I tried a new CYC yesterday with a friend and when I went to "continue career" there was nobody in there, but when I went to "edit player" there was FOUR of me in the database. :|

I can see no way of deleting some of them either.

Or.......

Nothing beats the huge leagues and cup competitions me and me mates did playing SUBBUTEO...................class

Last edited by a moderator:

I tried a new CYC yesterday with a friend and when I went to "continue career" there was nobody in there, but when I went to "edit player" there was FOUR of me in the database. :|

You can only continue the career if you choose the same nationality as the player is. If you want to CYC with a different country, you have to base edit him and change the players nationality.

I chose the same country. It said "you have no available players left for selection", so I'm presuming you have to finish your previous career first or something.

The way around it is to "edit" your player - you don't do anything, you just save it at the end. But there's 4-5 of me in the database now.

Or.......

I'm so glad I wasn't alive when those games came out! :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
No one noticed that the A.I score most goals from headers on the highest diffculty?( I only played on legendary so far) crosses are too effective, seems like the attackers win most aerial battle, thats ruining the game in my opinion :(

Ah I see what you mean now, so you didn't finish your career first! I thought you'd finished a tournament and wanted to carry on with the same player.

It'd be a good idea to show the position of the player when you're choosing as well, especially if you have a few players.

Same here

i was playing it with 4 mates last night and i now have about 15 players in there

also i am always in the England squad now for some reason, how the fuck do i get rid of all these players

I managed to carry on with mine but we got game over and the tournament saves were piling up so i deleted old one and i lost player. :((

Its strange because as you say they are in database. :THINK:

I've just looked around the hard drive from the dashboard, the only two places where I would imagine your created players would be are "SQUADS" or the "CAPTAIN YOUR COUNTRY" save. Well I've deleted SQUADS and I'm still there three times, and I don't want to delete my current CAPTAIN YOUR COUNTRY save. So it looks like my five clones are trapped in there until I finish it and delete it!

i want to keep 1 base player so i dont have to do it again though so is there anyway around that?

The Captain your country-save is the most logical place I would say...
Why when you're only one player at a time?!

It's not a Captain Your Country SETTINGS save, it's the Captain Your Country save, meaning your one-player career. I don't understand why there would be four players stored in there.

Back
Top Bottom