UEFA Euro 2008

Cool, cheers for that! Is there any sort of kit edit mode (to put in the properish Russia kits with the flag across the middle) ?

Also do the teams have the latest kits (eg New England red away, Croatia new away (i.e. not this one) http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2008/058/944735_20080228_screen004.jpg but the one with 2 checked bits down the side ?
No kit edit mode, no team edit mode - I'm sure this is something to do with the licensing. All you can edit is player data.

England's away kit is the new one, Croatia's away kit is the old one (same as the screenshot you link to).

Portugal have their old kits too. And I'm sure the Spain away kit is wrong. They have white shorts and socks when I'm sure it should be navy.

Have they fixed what I call a glitch, when you hit a ball long over the receiving player's head and they kinda stop for a second before they chase it down? Like when the ball is just over their head they slow/hesitate for a second so they can't catch up to it.

Wasn't going to bother with this but after reading these reviews and playing the demo think I might give it a bash. Got a day off work tomorrow so was thinking of popping into town to get it but I'm a bit strapped for cash till I get paid next week.. anyone here got any knowledge of how much to expect in a trade-in for games?

Thinking of trading in Assasins Creed, World Snooker 2007 and Top Spin 2 or something to the effect but doubt that would conjure up 40 quid.

dont be giviing Konami and seabass ideas there will be an open top bus celebration to unlock in PES 2009:r1

Yeah, but it will be just a static image of a celebration on an open-top bus....with a small dog driving it...and people with shark-heads lining the streets.

I notice when someone quits in the knockout cup (yes it happens too often), you get the following message:

If the disconnect happened after 15 minutes, the person who remained connected is awarded a 3-0 win

Nice, but I hope you don't get waves of people quitting on 14:59 if they don't think they're going to be able to beat you.

And I bet you will.

As I said a lot of times before, this is a great game, but I have some doubts of how well customized off the ball runs work.
One example: When playing the default strategies from Holland ( 4-3-3 ), there is not enough support in the centre when you run at the wings. If you are about to give a cross, you only see the striker at the penalty spot, surrounded by defenders, and at the other side of the box the other winger is coming into the box. So NO support of attacking midfielders.
So what I did was to give the left and right central midfielders an arrow forward.
I did not notice any difference.
I then decided to change mentalities and putted the back-line on high and pressing over the whole pitch.
Well, in this case the defence indeed played higher on the pitch but it did not make the CM's make more runs. It may have to do with the level I play ( professional ) and that these kind of things work better at the higher levels, I don't know.
I just am not sure if this work. If I switch the game back on, the default team is used and not my customized settings. Should I save something after changing it?

Well I've had a game with dad and he said the same thing, straight away he barked "this is nowhere near as quick to react as the demo". And being 60-odd, he takes no shit and tells it like it is. He would chew up fanboys and eat them for breakfast. ;)

tiktiktiktik, no doubt though that they're improved from FIFA and the game is better for it - in-fact if it hadn't been for the demo I wouldn't be complaining about it. It's not a massive difference but it's a noticeable difference.

Your Dad>Fifa

If I switch the game back on, the default team is used and not my customized settings. Should I save something after changing it?
Settings you change during games will be applied for that game if you click "advance". You can permanently save your changes using the edit functions from the main menu but it's not neccessary unless you will always use the same formation/settings (I change quite often).

I can understand what you're saying about there not being enough support - have you tried giving the LW/RW players sideways arrows? Then they should cut inside when you have the ball in attacking positions, giving you more people in and around the box. If you give them forward arrows they may just run straight up and down the line for crossing purposes. Just a thought!

And if that doesn't work you can always edit the formation to push them inside more.

Yep - press X (Xbox 360) or SQUARE (PS3) on the player you want to make captain, on the team management screen.

So if the game has the EURO2008 Licence, why some teams have no original lineup and shirts, ok Konami has the dutch licence...but Russia???Hungary?
why some keepers have not licenced shirts??? thats the only negative point in this game!

Yeah... its really disappointing. At least... the 15 teams from the final stage (excepting the Netherlands) should be licensed. Turkey for example get their old kits not their new one ... hopefully EA fixed that issue with an patch... if possible

Can't decide whether I like manual or semi passing more. Semi feels a bit too easy but manual frustrates the shit out of me sometimes. What do you guys use

First I try manuell... and I'm going through the same experience like you. But after trying semi-passing in a couple of machtes I switch back to manuell and after some practice... it works fine for me.

Captain Your Country is the best thing that's ever happened to football gaming!

Been playing it for 3 hours straight and I'm not even the slightest bored yet :)

I'm playing for Sweden and it only took me 2 games in the B-team to get the chance in the A-team. Played 9 games now, scored 1 goal against Croatia in a friendly and has made one assist. I have now been selected to captain the side against Iceland in the next qualifier. My best rating so far is 9.8.

Unfortunatley I chose 3 simillar players as my "rivals" so the midfield is all messed up. I chose less known swedish players so the likes of Ljungberg, Wilhelmsson and Elmander is on the bench every game. Thinking of starting a new one because of that.

The manager (Lagerback) is constantly making me play as a CDM even though I prefer playing out wide on the left, don't know why..?

One thing I don't like though. I have passed the ball several times to Ibrahimovic, and EVERY time he is free with the keeper he fakes a shot right infront of him and always looses the ball. That really sucks! It seems EA have programmed him that way or something because he does it EVERY time...

The manager (Lagerback) is constantly making me play as a CDM even though I prefer playing out wide on the left, don't know why..?
This is happening to me and it's annoying now. I've only picked two midfielders, myself (CM) and Beckham (RM). He plays me on the wing and Beckham in the middle, what the hell?

Hi Winston! It's true we have similar tastes anf often are critical about the same aspects of the game. I must tell you this post will be very controversial. And that's because I've totally changed my mind about this game.

When I posted earlier I had mainly played offline multiplayer. We also played some matches vs. cpu in semi-professional and professional, but sometimes we played together against cpu and sometimes were just messing with controls, management, etc... The usual thing with a new game. But after posting here, I went solo and played against CPU and tried online.

And the bad things are, in my humble opinion, that AI is almost as bad and half-cooked as in Fifa, resorting to dribbling-tackling-heading cheats all the time as the only way it has to build up play; and manual controls are horrible and have gotten even worse than in Fifa.

About controls: Manual passing is not really 360º analogue. All manual passes have a terrible scripted feel to them. Long balls and through balls sometimes feel like in rails. I don't understand why can't they just give us fully real 360º decision.
There's other annoyances regarding controls: when you play an horizontal through ball, sometimes the receiver isn't automatically chosen, as if the game didn't understand the ball is headed to him, and usually another player is driven there. There's some problems with switching players in certain situations (again!!!!) even on manual switch.

About the AI and solo modes: it's true that now there's more variety in terms of strategy. Weaker teams put men behind the ball and tend to clear the ball a lot. And depending on the result you really see the difference it makes. But all this comes to nothing when the CPU players can dribble like Maradona...AGAIN. They can be untackled, evade your players and all that. So the improvement made in other areas goes down the toilet the moment you find yourself playing the same game you played in Fifa. Because (and that's the other stupid part) the CPU generally needs one or two crosses to score. It doesn't matter much if you're playing liechtenstein or Germany. One or two crosses generally mean a goal. The thing is that liechtenstein will cross once or twice in a match and Germany about 6 or 7. But the inability to push cpu players from behind, the fact that CPU players only need to be near you to take possession, almost never missing a tackle...I've already had the typical 3 defenders hanging from the CPU player that simply by rotating could dribble them. The second defender pression button (square in PS3) it's almost useless now. It moves a player to press, but hardly or almost never will win the ball against CPU. That's clearly a bad thing, because helps unbalance the game towards the offensive side. All this is old, dull and boring. And at the end you get that old feeling we already had with pes, that you were playing against cheats, and that totally kills the magic for me. I'm that picky, you see. So, Single Player doesn't sounds convincing to me. At all. In my opinion very little has changed here overall. :((

About online: That was the bad part. Now for the worse. Online is a joke. The game has too many exploits. People simply run and there's no midfield. You can play slow, but your chances are near to zero if your opponent decides to run and play direct balls again and again. My first 5 online matches had an average of 5 goals. Never saw any of the contendants finishing the match without scoring. I don't know if it's the effect of lag or simply the game design, but the game is terribly and beyond salvation, totally unbalanced in my opinion. Of course I could be wrong, but I never experienced that in my hundreds of online FIFA matches... Online multiplayer is out for me. Yeah, I'm that picky again... :((

The good thing is offline multiplayer is amazing. In that mode, is the best football game I've played with my friend. We both agreed. And that's the point. Do you have enough friends to play offline multiplayer? If not, I really would reconsider renting the game before buying it. In my case, I will enjoy the game a lot, because we play together often. But it's been a big let down. Specially because this afternoon I was really amazed by the game and all I saw was impressive. But the moment I began playing against CPU everything changed. Nota that I mantain everything I said about the game regarding offline multiplayer, it's very very good.

Hope it helps. At least that's what I think now after hours and hours of play.

Last edited:
drekkard said:
And the bad things are, in my humble opinion, that AI is almost as bad and half-cooked as in Fifa, resorting to dribbling-tackling-heading cheats all the time as the only way it has to build up play.

drekkard said:
regarding offline multiplayer, it's very very good.

I think those two quotes sum it up for me. Certainly better than Fifa, but like the previous version I'll be playing multiplayer only as single player isnt very good at all.

it seems to me, that after the first impressions people are now finding the flaw (at least what they seem to be flaws) of the game
that's perfectly normal

I have to agree with drekkard, that the AI has it's downsided, but hey, it's still a game, and I think it improved nevertheless
I have seen gameplays and tactics from the AI I haven't experienced before
In the end, every (football) game AI is just a sum of rules and predetermined set of actions
I just always hope it lasts until the next title arrives

what I have a problem with is the online part
for me it's laggy and stuttering which makes no fun at all
I am glad, that I play mainly offline tournaments and be a pro, but I hope this will be fixed, as well as the frame rate issues

UEFA Euro 2008 (PS3)

good morning.
yesterday i bought the game and played 6 matches on semi-pro in coop cam.
today i sell my fifa 08 because i am not able to play it anymore.

my last fifa was "france 1998" then i switched to pes/we. the animations of fifa 08 on the ps3 made me play it alot but sometimes i switched back to we:pes2007 (pc) because of the better response/ speed and the better crosses.

then i played euro 08 and it´s nearly a combination of "next gen" fifa graphics and fluid pes gameplay.

ea is on the right way, let us see what konami does...

for all those who do not have the game already: "buy it, you will not regret it"

Back
Top Bottom