UEFA Euro 2008

Can somebody please do me a massive favour and tell me whether this game has 5 vs 5 online? If not does it have 2 vs 2 online?

I only ever play Fifa online 5vs5 these days, offline bores me to tears to be honest.

I WILL buy this game tomorrow, but only if it supports at least 2 vs 2 online multiplayer - can't find the answer to this anywhere on the web so I'm hoping you guys can help me out!

Thanks,

Can somebody please do me a massive favour and tell me whether this game has 5 vs 5 online? If not does it have 2 vs 2 online?

I only ever play Fifa online 5vs5 these days, offline bores me to tears to be honest.

I WILL buy this game tomorrow, but only if it supports at least 2 vs 2 online multiplayer - can't find the answer to this anywhere on the web so I'm hoping you guys can help me out!

Thanks,
No 5v5 online or 2v2 online, 1v1 (full team v full team) only.

No reason was given for this but it is strange. Saying that, the Captain Your Country mode is so good it has to be patched to work online. Please EA, please please please...

Can anyone tell me what you lot mean with having 2,3 people playing Captain your Country, is it split screen or something im lost?

Can anyone tell me what you lot mean with having 2,3 people playing Captain your Country, is it split screen or something im lost?
You play on a co-op camera - it automatically zooms in or out, gradually, so that you see what you need to see. It doesn't always have every player in the picture - if it did you would be too far away to see anything on a small television - but it works perfectly for me. So if you're e.g. a centre-back, you're usually using the radar to keep in position until the opposition get the ball and then the camera will follow the opposition attack and help you out a bit more. So it's context-sensitive, if you see what I mean.

You can also play on the Be A Pro cam but I find it totally offputting, and it's not as smooth as the sideline cams. I want to use it, it looks cool, but it's just not practical.

Good question. I am also a bit confused on the 2v2, 5v5 mode. Is this 5 different human players on one team against 5 human players on the opposing team?
It's 1-4 players, all on the one side. You choose your team and then embark on a career - see below. Whoever gets the best rating gets to choose the team and the tactics, if your rating is poor you can even get dropped. So you all compete for your place in the side. For A-team games the manager takes over from what I gather.

---

Just posted this on another forum regarding the Captain Your Country mode, it's all been said already but it puts a lot of stuff in one big post so I'll chuck it in here as well.

Jack Bauer said:
I am now totally in love with the game. For one reason (and what's weird is that it's an offline mode only, something I thought was dead in this day and age)... CAPTAIN YOUR COUNTRY. You select and control one player (or create yourself - you choose a commentary name which is fabulous, I nearly got emotional when Clive said my name followed by "he knows where everyone is doesn't he, he's a great player").

The AI of your teammates is astounding, and the opposition plays exactly like it would in real life. You start off playing B-team games against Liechenstein and they literally pack 9-10 men into the box. You have to work your arse off to break them down, it's incredibly frustrating.

You don't have to press the "pass to me" button, in-fact it pays not to. Then they will only pass to you when it's natural, and the balls you get are amazing. Beckham did a through-pass to me that was just delicious, mouth-wateringly good. I smacked it against the post but my God, the feeling of the AI being so intelligent was just outstanding.

Ten games in and I got my first Man Of The Match award. When the national anthem started playing, I swear, I would have had a tear in my eye if I wasn't such a hardman. *Sniff* Seriously, you know you've earned it because it's so hard to get a good rating. So when you get man of the match, it's like winning an Oscar - oh wait, it's Ronaldo that gets the acting awards, sorry. :cry:

When I got my first proper call-up from the B-team to the A-team, my rating went from 8-average to 3-average. I was swiftly moved back into the B-team. :| Playing Andora is a totally different ball game from playing Italy, like I did in that A-team game. Andora will defend like hell because you're ENGLAND, MIGHTY ENGLAND (yeah right), whereas Italy will attack at every angle and RIP YOU TO SHREDS. At half-time I was battered, bruised and ashamed. I wanted to get the bus home.

It's a full-blown mode, you get about ten B-games, ten friendlies, qualifiers, group stage matches and then final matches. So with each game now lasting about 15 minutes (halves are now 6 minutes long by default), that means finishing the mode will take over 12 hours (if my maths is right). I've known entire games take less time than that to complete, and this is just one mode! So you won't finish it in a day - unless you're really, really sad. ;)

You get experience points after each game to boost your player's stats (if you create yourself you start with a skill level of 50 - compared to England's other B-team players this is ~20 behind them, and ~35 behind the A-team players). Once I've finished my England career (remember, the manager has to pick a squad to take to Euro 2008, IF YOU EVEN GET PAST THE QUALIFIERS, and if you play like crap you won't get picked and it'll be game over), I'll be trying with Wales I think. Lower skill levels all-round so I should be a first-team player within a few games. ;)

Bear in mind lads this is just one mode and I'm addicted. On top of this there is an online cup mode (16-team knockout, it's like a normal online game except that a win takes you through to the next round and if you win the final you win a "trophy" to put in your virtual trophy cabinet), and I also love this mode. You've also got Online Leagues, same as FIFA 08, and I love those. And you've got more besides.

Gameplay is improved, reaction times are better, passes are easier to get right, AI is the best I have ever seen, teams change tactics depending on how the match is going and if they need to defend for their lives they will, if they need a last-minute goal they will push forward for one. Goalkeepers aren't super-human any more, but they do tend to be a bit far off the line sometimes.

Overall, I think the next few weeks are going to be very very difficult for my girlfriend.

Last edited:
Like I say, you start off on about 50 overall, but then you can go as high as you want - if you win the experience points. You can't make yourself incredible, you have to earn the points. If you get man of the match over and over and over then you'll be able to boost your stats a lot, if you keep playing poorly and you're dropped from the side regularly you'll have no points to "spend".

Hasnt anyone made Borat yet in Captain Your Country and played as Kazakstan?
In a word, no.

"I play football for my country, nice. I meet the Beckham, he shake my hand. He smells like girl but I like it!"

so Jack, after so many games, are you satisfied with the response times? in other words, do you hardly notice the difference anymore.
Offline I don't have a problem with the reaction times, 95% of the time. There is the odd time when you've got two defenders on you and there is a slight delay, and I caught myself shouting "SEE, THAT SHOULDN'T HAPPEN" once or twice. But it's not very often. Online it depends - if there is bad lag, it can be just the same as FIFA, BUT if you get someone local it's a huge improvement from FIFA. You can pull off some great moves without having to "guess" when to press the knockahead button, if you know what I mean.

I can understand why people say the reaction times are more realistic now; I would still prefer them to be more fun than realistic (i.e. they kick the ball when you press the button!), but A) I know how crap it is in PES2008 with the lightning-fast response times so I should realise a slight delay is a good thing, and B) I'm loving the game so much that I can't complain about it any more.

Unless everyone starts lagging big-time online (and I've had a few), it's fine.

Last edited:
I can understand why people say the reaction times are more realistic now; I would still prefer them to be more fun than realistic (i.e. they kick the ball when you press the button!)

I'm with you on that Jack. I would much rather prefer them to be more fun than realistic in that sense alone. I haven't played the original game yet, but based on the demo, the reaction times are just right. I guess it's kind of complicated to adjust or tweak this to please everyone.

In a word, no.

"I play football for my country, nice. I meet the Beckham, he shake my hand. He smells like girl but I like it!"

Offline I don't have a problem with the reaction times, 95% of the time. There is the odd time when you've got two defenders on you and there is a slight delay, and I caught myself shouting "SEE, THAT SHOULDN'T HAPPEN" once or twice. But it's not very often. Online it depends - if there is bad lag, it can be just the same as FIFA, BUT if you get someone local it's a huge improvement from FIFA. You can pull off some great moves without having to "guess" when to press the knockahead button, if you know what I mean.

I can understand why people say the reaction times are more realistic now; I would still prefer them to be more fun than realistic (i.e. they kick the ball when you press the button!), but A) I know how crap it is in PES2008 with the lightning-fast response times so I should realise a slight delay is a good thing, and B) I'm loving the game so much that I can't complain about it any more.

Unless everyone starts lagging big-time online (and I've had a few), it's fine.
jack found the perfect game, wtf are you gonna do now?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

:)

I'm with you on that Jack. I would much rather prefer them to be more fun than realistic in that sense alone. I haven't played the original game yet, but based on the demo, the reaction times are just right. I guess it's kind of complicated to adjust or tweak this to please everyone.
They had so so many complaints about the game being too fast, from forum users to fansite owners to magazine writers. So they had to do something - in fairness it is a good speed now and it is a perfect simulation. I begrudgingly admit they did the right thing.

I'm happy to get used to it, but perhaps it's time for a game speed slider like in the old days. Then everybody's happy.

jack found the perfect game, wtf are you gonna do now?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

:)
Perfect gameplay, but for as long as Tranmere don't have photo-realistic players and Prenton Park isn't in, it's not a perfect game...

;)

theres a ball for each country you unlock, but there lets say.....balls

just a generic ball with there flag on it

oh and you can unlock the final ball which is just like the default one but with writing on.

Ive unlucked all the boots :DD

It was in the last list I sent to them just after Christmas. ;)

Saying that, I suppose you could look at it in the way that "if you want fast reaction times you play PES, if you want a simulation you play FIFA" - but of course EA wouldn't agree with that. Their motto would be "if you want a football game play FIFA". :lol:

They're aiming to create a simulation and like I say, I have to admit that the reaction times they have now probably contribute to that. It's not as bad as I first feared, but it is a shock after playing the demo.

Ok, I'm playing the demo a litte now. I have a question. On manual passing, does it actually feel manual? For example, I have long pass on manual, but my passes still seem to go to someone. I can't seem to really pass into space if there is a guy in the area of the pass. Do long passes feel manual? Also, what are you guys using for pass and shots and all that stuff?

Im going to start a Captain Your Club tomorrow sounds good fun cheers JB

I think ill create myself then choose 3 players that will be in a similar position to myself, give the likes of Agbonlahor, Walcott, Lennon, Young etc a chance. Can GK's be chosen ?

Ok, I'm playing the demo a litte now. I have a question. On manual passing, does it actually feel manual? For example, I have long pass on manual, but my passes still seem to go to someone. I can't seem to really pass into space if there is a guy in the area of the pass. Do long passes feel manual? Also, what are you guys using for pass and shots and all that stuff?
The manual passing in the final game is much improved. I've not experimented too much with it myself but I think it was Tim (correct me if I'm wrong) who said earlier that it feels like it's proper 360-degree manual passing now.

My settings are semi everything apart from auto through-passes and auto lobs (because you can only have them on manual or auto, no in-between). If I put the passing on manual I balls everything up, it needs a lot of practice and also you need to power each pass which means a slight delay while you wait on it to fill, and if I put the through-balls on manual I waste too many good opportunities where a player gets into a good position.

It's Captain Your Country... ;)

I think ill create myself then choose 3 players that will be in a similar position to myself, give the likes of Agbonlahor, Walcott, Lennon, Young etc a chance. Can GK's be chosen ?
No, it has to be outfield players. I gave the young lads a chance as well, seeing as you start in the B-team it's only right. Bit daft to choose Rooney and play with him week-in week-out in the B-team along with Shorey, Sidwell, Agbonlahor...

I'm sure they do, I played as them before and I don't remember seeing anything odd about their kits. Let me check - watch for an edit in the next few minutes...

EDIT: Yep, they have the right kits.

The teams with kits and sponsors are - Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzigova, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, England, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Malta, Northern Ireland, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic Of Ireland, Romania, San Marino, Scotland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey. (33)

The teams with generic kits and no sponsor are - Armenia, Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Faroe Islands, Finland, FYR Macedonia, Georgia, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Kazakhstan, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Moldova, Montenegro, Netherlands, Russia, Serbia, Ukraine, Wales. (20)

Last edited:

Dont pick players in same position, because they always play so you will have a midfield of all them players, which is a bit poo

I done a new one and I picked Lampard / Wright-Phillips and Gary neville. as they are out of the starting 11 atm but will no doubt be in it soon

I'm sure they do, I played as them before and I don't remember seeing anything odd about their kits. Let me check - watch for an edit in the next few minutes...

EDIT: Yep, they have the right kits.

The teams with kits and sponsors are - Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzigova, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, England, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Malta, Northern Ireland, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic Of Ireland, Romania, San Marino, Scotland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey. (33)

The teams with generic kits and no sponsor are - Armenia, Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Faroe Islands, Finland, FYR Macedonia, Georgia, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Kazakhstan, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Moldova, Montenegro, Netherlands, Russia, Serbia, Ukraine, Wales. (20)

Cool, cheers for that! Is there any sort of kit edit mode (to put in the properish Russia kits with the flag across the middle) ?

Also do the teams have the latest kits (eg New England red away, Croatia new away (i.e. not this one) http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2008/058/944735_20080228_screen004.jpg but the one with 2 checked bits down the side ?

I played 4 hours straight when I got my copy today. I was one of the most critics with the demo, specially reaction times and passing accuracy, and specially with the space between lines. So...

I absolutely love the game! It's quite different than the demo, of course. Reaction times are slower, and while some don't like it (sorry, JB!) I really fin it's spot on right now. Why? Because faster and agile players really do turn a tad faster, and because that and the fact tackles are easier and space between lines has been tweaked... all of this makes a good balanced game! I played 2 hours against human opposition and 2 hours against CPU.

I absolutely love the improved CPU AI. Winston, accuracy is still too much in weaker teams for my taste, but overall it's an improvement and the trends of the matches are logical. Losing teams tend to risk and put men forward, weaker teams are obsessed with defence... I haven't analyzed yet if CPU alters tactics during a game, I guess they don't.

So, first thing I musst say is: I was terrible wrong about my first impressions with the demo. Well, I was not wrong about the demo, simply the demo has proven to be quite different in terms of gameplay than the actual finished build.

I think it's the best football game and even though some of us will difer in oppinion about certain things (JB, JFlores and others think reaction times should be faster while others think are spot on) there's something we ALL agree: it's the best football game to date.

So, enojy it. Cheers to all!!!!

PS: We will find bad thing sin about two or three weeks, so enjoy this first days of amazement.

Good to hear, drekkard. I know you tend to find very similar weaknesses in football games as I do and we have long been big critics of cpu cheats in PES particularly, and also FIFA.

However, I am less worried with Euro08 because I know I will be playing Be-A-Pro mode almost exclusively as in this mode, because you don't have to play every single moment of the match with the ball, you can leave the cpu to take on your AI team-mates for much of the time and not feel the effects of cpu cheats overshadowing the whole experience.

Even WE10JL, which had the same mode, gave PES/WE a brief new lease of life for me.

Shame about weak cpu teams being rather too perfect at passing but with the progress EA are making, perhaps they will actually do something about this in years to come (unlike a certain other company that never fixes it's flaws).

How do you find manual passing in this? I found the demo to feel very scritped and 8 directional, even on full manual. It felt like a step backwards from FIFA08, which wasn't that good anyway.

Also, is the manual passing weight fixed? The passing weight in the demo (and FIFA08) seemed very inconsistent. Sometimes a quick tap would make the ball go much harder and further than you intended (probably scripted to a pre-determined destination) and other times you can reach full power on the guage and the ball hardly goes anywhere (again, probably scripted to a close destination). It really had no feeling at all. I found I could not learn a natural way to play passing weight... it wasn't intuitive and seemed very contrived.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom