UEFA Euro 2008

nice to hear that other ones love captain your country as well

I think it's a real improvement, and can't wait to play club seasons with it :-)

Yeah, the prospect of this mode in club football, starting out as a youngster in a lower league team and working your way through your career, earning a transfer to a bigger club, eventually getting signed up by a Premier League team, then playing in Europe...it's mouth-watering.

And the beautiful thing is, by this autumn, FIFA09 will hopefully be allowing us to do just that!!

No more year after year of disappointment as PES again fails to deliver. RIP PES. Seabass, you need to re-invent your game.

Gomito, I read that you have no control over the team selection or tactics when you first start your campaign, but over time, as you get better and win captaincy, you will be able to tinker with the team and tactics :)

Gomito, I read that you have no control over the team selection or tactics when you first start your campaign, but over time, as you get better and win captaincy, you will be able to tinker with the team and tactics :)
I'm a bit confused at how Tim got dropped and how McClaren picked all the tactics/players, because after my first game I could do this myself. I'd rather that I couldn't, to be honest. If I was playing with four mates then yes, fair enough, but with CPU players I'd rather it was realistic and that the manager chose everything. Perhaps it was because I got over a certain rating (I've noticed I'm not bad at this, despite despising 5v5 in the past - which I fell in love with last night after three games against CW and co, great time to figure out you like something, the day before you sell it).

I noticed you can also call up "proper" England players to the B team, which is a bit naff. I called up Gerrard for the third/fourth game just to see if it would work - it did and it made things a bit easier. We played an old-school game of "one man team" - pass to Gerrard, pass to Gerrard, pass to Gerrard. :mryellow:

What's your opinion of how the weak nations like Faroes play in terms of passing accuracy? Is it still a case of every pass is a pin-point pass and they only lose possession because they run out of attackers to pass to as they're all back defending, or are they noticably more shabby in their passing? And do they go on implausible mazy dribbles?
I don't want to comment too much because I'm looking at most of my teammates to be honest, you have to be very aware. Most passes made by Azerbaijan and co are picked up, but Azerbaijan did actually equalise against us before we eventually won 3-1. I've not seen any mazy dribbles by these sides - they're happy enough to keep possession rather than attack, unless it's a good countering opportunity.

Last edited:
Ahhh nervous times just lost on Captain your Country in qualifiers 3-1 to Croatia 7 points all in table now dam defence were all over shop that sounds familiar lol.

HAHA, I've been playing in B-team matches against Azerbaijan, Latvia etc. and got ratings around 7-8, with my man-of-the-match rating being 9.2.

Just got called up for my first international A-team friendly, against Italy... At half time I'm on 3.1 and I want to get the bus home.

I know that winston will discover numerous AI problems tomorrow - that's not to be taken the wrong way, this is the area he cares about so he's going to see the faults as soon as they appear - but so far this is blowing me away. Play in a B-team, get some good ratings (even though if you create yourself your stats are 50-odd, compared to the other guys having 70-odd plus). Play in an A-team game and you get shat on. Time and time again. Wow.

I also love the fact that you get a ton of experience points to spend depending on how well you do, so there's longevity there (I'll be a 60-odd shortly I hope). And when you get bored you start again but you make it harder for yourself - I think I'll play for Wales next time (I could play for them under "the Granny rule"). Just a brilliant game mode, if this was online it would be out of this world.

Last edited:
QUESTION... I know this is gonna draw a knee-jerk reaction but...

I recently rebrought FIFA08 (on PS3 for £25)... is it worth trading this in for Euro2008, or shall I just wait till FIFA09 now?

I'm enjoying FIFA again playing Prem League football...

HAHA, I've been playing in B-team matches against Azerbaijan, Latvia etc. and got ratings around 7-8, with my man-of-the-match rating being 9.2.

Just got called up for my first international A-team friendly, against Italy... At half time I'm on 3.1 and I want to get the bus home.

I know that winston will discover numerous AI problems tomorrow - that's not to be taken the wrong way, this is the area he cares about so he's going to see the faults as soon as they appear - but so far this is blowing me away. Play in a B-team, get some good ratings (even though if you create yourself your stats are 50-odd, compared to the other guys having 70-odd plus). Play in an A-team game and you get shat on. Time and time again. Wow.

I also love the fact that you get a ton of experience points to spend depending on how well you do, so there's longevity there (I'll be a 60-odd shortly I hope). And when you get bored you start again but you make it harder for yourself - I think I'll play for Wales next time (I could play for them under "the Granny rule"). Just a brilliant game mode, if this was online it would be out of this world.

Dont forget guys, this mode was Done in Winning Eleven Club Championship 2007 under Fantastita mode, where you create a player and play him through the club teams to get transfered to the big guys, which IMO was the best mode with the longest play time, I think I played 6 seasons until was world player of the year or something. So dont give to much credit to EA, it was done first by Seabass...just something to think about.

In fact, if i remember correctly, the only gripe, or feature that others wanted was in fact international call up.

Dont forget guys, this mode was Done in Winning Eleven Club Championship 2007 under Fantastita mode, where you create a player and play him through the club teams to get transfered to the big guys, which IMO was the best mode with the longest play time, I think I played 6 seasons until was world player of the year or something. So dont give to much credit to EA, it was done first by Seabass...just something to think about.

In fact, if i remember correctly, the only gripe, or feature that others wanted was in fact international call up.

yes, but was it with three of your mates?.........

was it on a next gen system?.....

was it the same old gameplay?....

I played 4 hours straight when I got my copy today. I was one of the most critics with the demo, specially reaction times and passing accuracy, and specially with the space between lines. So...

I absolutely love the game! It's quite different than the demo, of course. Reaction times are slower, and while some don't like it (sorry, JB!) I really fin it's spot on right now. Why? Because faster and agile players really do turn a tad faster, and because that and the fact tackles are easier and space between lines has been tweaked... all of this makes a good balanced game! I played 2 hours against human opposition and 2 hours against CPU.

I absolutely love the improved CPU AI. Winston, accuracy is still too much in weaker teams for my taste, but overall it's an improvement and the trends of the matches are logical. Losing teams tend to risk and put men forward, weaker teams are obsessed with defence... I haven't analyzed yet if CPU alters tactics during a game, I guess they don't.

So, first thing I musst say is: I was terrible wrong about my first impressions with the demo. Well, I was not wrong about the demo, simply the demo has proven to be quite different in terms of gameplay than the actual finished build.

I think it's the best football game and even though some of us will difer in oppinion about certain things (JB, JFlores and others think reaction times should be faster while others think are spot on) there's something we ALL agree: it's the best football game to date.

So, enojy it. Cheers to all!!!!

PS: We will find bad thing sin about two or three weeks, so enjoy this first days of amazement.

Oh, and I absolutely love physics and find there's a lot of body checks and loose balls and unexpected things happen now and then. We first played weak teams. Then good teams. Then we tried unbalanced matches. It all made sense and was fun, and while we scored in all matches, ranging from 1-0 to 3-2, it kept being realistic all the time.

I like how you can defend the wings, while in the demo it was almost impossible.

And my first annoyance: low crosses are too accurate (triple circle in PS3), and stuttering in the PS3 version is INDEED noticeable, and that's totally unacceptable as others mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom