UEFA Champions League For 360! (March 20th)

I drew 1-1 with Basti yesterday. He was Bayern and I was Newcastle.

I only concded because of a stupid goal keeping error. Given just ran out and watched him score, instead of diving on it and picking it up (because he had PLENTY of time to do it).

Overall I got hammerd, which I usually do, I like to play counter attacking football. It actually makes me happy that I can keep my opponent infront of my defence. Its a lot like real football in that sense.

On a side note, I'm sure that LB is sort of a super cancel, I always keep hold of it when I go for headers and when I dont want my player to move!

I drew 1-1 with Basti yesterday. He was Bayern and I was Newcastle.

I only concded because of a stupid goal keeping error. Given just ran out and watched him score, instead of diving on it and picking it up (because he had PLENTY of time to do it).

Overall I got hammerd, which I usually do, I like to play counter attacking football. It actually makes me happy that I can keep my opponent infront of my defence. Its a lot like real football in that sense.

On a side note, I'm sure that LB is sort of a super cancel, I always keep hold of it when I go for headers and when I dont want my player to move!

yes, was a nice game against you, because you tried to play very realistic football. My goal was a bit stupid from Given but I think things like this happen in real life. I thought the pass before was nice.
I was a bit angry that you scored with your only chance :) but it was a nice attack.

Mind's made up, trading this in for PES6 tomorrow...

FIFA 360 was nice while it lasted, a whole new footie game compared to the old FIFA, really great new commentry and stuff. But fact is, it's just far too slow and sluggish and lacks the sharpness of PES...

it's just not in the same league as Pro Evo!!!

Last edited:
Bored of it already. Same old FIFA . . . :(

JUST KIDDING!

I still love this game after many games. Even my missus had a game and thought it was amazing (and YES she if a big West Ham supporter and loves & knows her football. She was crap at this though!)

Well done EA, you have produced a QUALITY football game after the 100th time trying! :)

Mind's made up, trading this in for PES6 tomorrow...

FIFA 360 was nice while it lasted, a whole new footie game compared to the old FIFA, really great new commentry and stuff. But fact is, it's just far too slow and sluggish and lacks the sharpness of PES...

it's just not in the same league as Pro Evo!!!

I wouldnt bother nick, am bringing it back tommorow. It has improved from fifa07, and the alot of the annoying gameplay niggles have been sorted out, which is a credit to EA for listening to the forums complaining etc.

Played a CL with liverpool and the teams seemed to play a realistic tactical game;
- pushing up after bellamy had gotton through too many times,
- paying extra attention to the wings after pennant and gonzalez were getting too much space/runs,
- Making the centre busy when kuyt/gerrard were having too many shots, etc

However, and its a big however, the game is unresponsive. It just is and its not the speed of the game (i could be a bit faster in places but the pace seems good enough for the most part) its the unresponsiveness going from controller to player. And here's a big dissapointment for all those, me included in fifa07, that thought control of the player was 360. Its not, just look at when you have possesion of the ball, you can move 8 directions when you walk, and when you sprint you have the inbetween direction, making it a total of 16 directions. Same as pes. Now this wouldnt, imo, be so bad as the passing and shooting do seem to be free and at your control. Its just that between the 8 directions and the lack of responsiveness from the analog stick you end up struggling to keep control of the player. Football is about splitsecond desisions and if you need 0.5sec to adjust a players movement its too late.
I even tested how responsive the analog stick is, when moving horizontal across the screen i had to go from 3 oclock to 5:30 to get the player to move to 4:30. Offcourse its so close to 6 which means most of the time you end up doing a full 45degree turn, losing you advantage and having to start again. Frustrating to say the least. I know pes has its flaws, after all im usually going on about them, but atleast the player responds when i move my d-pad, and the player goes the direction im pushing. Atm control of fifa/CL just isnt tight enough. And they might aswell add a d-pad control aswell because when youre in possesion it works the same as pes and when you have the passing assistence on it works the same aswell. So really not much difference, besides the unresponsiveness in EA's game.

EDIT

Used my madcatz controller to see how that was and it improved slightly, however when you run halfway between 2 and 3 oclock (the extra angle when sprinting) and you put the analog back to 3oclock to start running, it doesnt respond and continues at the same angle, leaving you to adjust it more sharply which then a lot of the time ends up being to close to an angle thats too sharp and you end up making a 45degree turn again.

--------

Shame really, oh and how fiddly is the CL set-up!? Had all the teams set to their groups and found out one team was wrong in the last group (parma, should have been milan) so i went back got milan and went to the groups and i had to sort it all again. FFS, surely they could have just had this season's standard and if you wanted to change it adjust the teams! And not have to go back a menu to do it, and seeing how big the group view is when arranging the teams they could have had full names and use the whole screen, i cant even see what the buttons are in the controller config are because everything is so small!

In the end i feel as though the reason the games are hard isnt because of tactics or playerskill, but because its just tough to control your own player movements, which surely isnt a sign of a great game? Its definitly got the basis as i think the animation and physics are really good, aswell as the majority of the graphics, they just need to sort out the tightness (be able to use the d-pad aswell as when in possesion it doesnt actually make that much difference when moving a player) and it could be really good.

Last edited:
I wouldnt bother nick, am bringing it back tommorow. It has improved from fifa07, and the alot of the annoying gameplay niggles have been sorted out, which is a credit to EA for listening to the forums complaining etc.

Played a CL with liverpool and the teams seemed to play a realistic tactical game;
- pushing up after bellamy had gotton through too many times,
- paying extra attention to the wings after pennant and gonzalez were getting too much space/runs,
- Making the centre busy when kuyt/gerrard were having too many shots, etc

However, and its a big however, the game is unresponsive. It just is and its not the speed of the game (i could be a bit faster in places but the pace seems good enough for the most part) its the unresponsiveness going from controller to player. And here's a big dissapointment for all those, me included in fifa07, that thought control of the player was 360. Its not, just look at when you have possesion of the ball, you can move 8 directions when you walk, and when you sprint you have the inbetween direction, making it a total of 16 directions. Same as pes. Now this wouldnt, imo, be so bad as the passing and shooting do seem to be free and at your control. Its just that between the 8 directions and the lack of responsiveness from the analog stick you end up struggling to keep control of the player. Football is about splitsecond desisions and if you need 0.5sec to adjust a players movement its too late.
I even tested how responsive the analog stick is, when moving horizontal across the screen i had to go from 3 oclock to 5:30 to get the player to move to 4:30. Offcourse its so close to 6 which means most of the time you end up doing a full 45degree turn, losing you advantage and having to start again. Frustrating to say the least. I know pes has its flaws, after all im usually going on about them, but atleast the player responds when i move my d-pad, and the player goes the direction im pushing. Atm control of fifa/CL just isnt tight enough. And they might aswell add a d-pad control aswell because when youre in possesion it works the same as pes and when you have the passing assistence on it works the same aswell. So really not much difference, besides the unresponsiveness in EA's game.

Shame really, oh and how fiddly is the CL set-up!? Had all the teams set to their groups and found out one team was wrong in the last group (parma, should have been milan) so i went back got milan and went to the groups and i had to sort it all again. FFS, surely they could have just had this season's standard and if you wanted to change it adjust the teams! And not have to go back a menu to do it, and seeing how big the group view is when arranging the teams they could have had full names and use the whole screen, i cant even see what the buttons are in the controller config are because everything is so small!

i agree with this completley

I am loving this game more and more! Just played my FIRST Champions League campaign match with Man Utd. I play 6 minute matches on World Class & I configured the groups to exactly how they were drawn this season i.e. me being in Group F with Celtic, Benfica & Copenhagen. First match was away at Celtic, was such a nail-biter at times! I won 1-0 with a Saha goal. I am getting the feeling for this now and am playing delightful possession football at times. I love WHIPPING in crosses with Ronaldo & Giggs, it just looks and feels RIGHT. Loving it, loving it, loving it! :)

BTW, how long do you guys play for? (I play on 6 minutes but think a little bit longer might be good.)

5 minute halfs on profess and world class.

Havent tried the CL yet will do later on. its a good game, very enjoyable. need to unlock the nike balls if theres any in.

5 minute halfs on profess and world class.

Havent tried the CL yet will do later on. its a good game, very enjoyable. need to unlock the nike balls if theres any in.

How do we unlock stuff? (Sorry, just been playing friendlies till now) :)

EDIT: Also, in a friendly, what is the difference between normal match and 'Champions League Qualifier'?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well jack was correct, atleast about me, dont know about saunders. I hadnt given my opinion on the game, only fifa07 and pes.

Oh and you DO bumperman ;)

EDIT: Also, in a friendly, what is the difference between normal match and 'Champions League Qualifier'?

ninj, when you get balls or boots in a pack of cards when you've opened them up just add them to the right hand side and they become unlocked. dont add them to collectors album otherwise you lose them.

tiktiktiktik said:

He was talking about trading in UEFA for PES6 mate ;)

I still enjoy it and the word 'still" is such a crazy word when the game's only been out a week. who remembers thinking super mario was "still" "new" after months of playing it? i sure do...

I have to admit I wrongly judged it off of the horrible demo that EA gave us. many things I liked about Fifa 07 were kept in and many things I didn't like(which ultimately ended with me trading it in)have been taken out or improved and that justifies me playing it further and enjoying it while i do so.

i personally like the card system. OK it's gimmicky but it's kinda like creating a team in WE from scratch ain't it, just that it's like collecting baseball cards (which i did as a kid being in the U.S.A "Forza MLB 2k7" by the way!)?

Played it most of the weekend. It really is a great game, especially when playing as a 'lesser' team like Tottenham or Villareal in World Class mode. It which deserves far better reviews than it recieved in the magazines. :)

Loving this so much.

Can't remember the last time I owned a game that I woke up wanting to play (hell, I got up before my 5-y-old son on Saturday at 7:15 just to fit some games into my busy morning!).

It has a couple of little things that aren't great, most of which have been mentioned but one thing I haven't read yet is that the subs arrive onto the pitch with grass stains on their shorts already!

Also, and the commentary is, as JB said, 95% amazing, but sometimes Clive gets confused about the away goal rule - I was losing 1-0 after drawing the away game 0-0 and he went on about how although the opp had scored I still held the advantage?!

I also haven't worked out how to make anything of the corners - the gk seems to catch every single one! Any tips out there?

However, it really is a great game in my opinion, and having left PES6 alone all weekend I really don't think I will be going back. I'm now used to the different feel of the ball and am starting to get some control over my shots.

The sense of occasion is so rewarding - I played a QF against Man Utd (as LFC) and having only managed a goaless draw away was feeling a little nervous going into the return leg. Halfway through the 2nd half they score and I'm like "sh*t - I need to score 2 to go through" which sounds obvious but I got so caught up in the tension that my game went all edgy and nervous and I kept making silly mistakes as would happen often in REAL life.

The future is encouraging as [a] EA will only keep bettering this model now and Seabass needs to up the ante and realise he has a very real competitor in time for PES7. Eitherway we can't lose can we?

Friendly you can choose extra time etc in a CLQ it is a group game so will end after 90 mins

Only got mine this morning :( im miles behind everyone else. Had a quick go before work on Professional Difficulty in the CL Mode. My match was Man United against Galatasaray. Wow! They have refined this since the demo, it seems to me to be smoother to control somehow. Ive got used to the shooting now and scored a lovely goal from about 25 yards with Wayne Rooney.

I love the freedom this game has! After spending most of yesterday doing my PES6 master league this game is a breath of fresh air and is definitely a big improvement over FIFA 07 (In My Opinion so please dont Flame Me PES Fans)

Dj

someone explain this above so just to add i have won the champions league and i can select CL final in the options as well now

they even lift the trophy at the end which is weird

anyone got a handle on shooting and crossing yet?

i cant shoot low as much as i'd like and the finesse button is useless from just outside the box.

took pass assistance off one so i can work on crossing, but they are still either lobbed or fizzed in which can be a bit annoying. sometimes early cross and double tapping can send in a decent cross though.

anyone got a nike ball yet or any proof they are in the game?

I'm fine with crossing thanks to turning pass-assist off (and the extra buttons you get for early cross, low cross, ground cross etc. really help - early cross means you BANG the ball over basically).

Shooting is a bit 50/50 though, I'll give you that. Don't get me wrong, you still have 750% more control than you get in PES (I think I'm going to start calling it PISS just to piss the fanboys off :D), but pressing finesse shot just seems to execute a really soft shot.

I have seen the odd match (in videos and while clueless press-every-button mates have been playing it) where low-shots have been executed though, so there must be a way.

And I agree with Kevano, if I press LB, it seems to be a sort-of super cancel (especially with the headers), so that's good to know.

For those who miss the PES multiplayer league, that is playing with mates in one console, offline:
When playing UEFA Lounge mode if you press start at the main screen a new menu opens up and it gives you the option to check the standings. Pretty cool.
(Sorry if this feature was already in Fifa 07)

Last edited:
I've done a few low shots with Rooney by just tapping shoot rather than holding it down. I am loving the shooting although sometimes the 'keepers saves shots that would be impossible to save in real life.

Also, SOMEONE TELL ANTRED IF THERE ARE NIKE BALLS!?

For those who miss the PES multiplayer league, that is playing with mates in one console, offline:
When playing UEFA Lounge mode if you press start at the main screen a new menu opens up and it gives you the option to check the standings. Pretty cool.
But what's the point when there's only two or three of you Pepe? It gets old so fast. I love the game, and even with it's few game modes I know I'll be playing this until FIFA 08, but the multiplayer modes are non-existent.

I used to make a league in PES, with 20 or so teams, three humans and the rest CPU. Whenever one of our teams had a match, the other two players would go onto the CPU side. You can't do this in UEFA, so you're constantly playing the CPU or playing the same teams in friendlies over and over and over - meaning that you stay as "your team" but you play different teams every game. Plus the fact that the lounge "never ends", so a champion is never crowned.

They've concentrated so much on the gameplay (which is admirable) that they've totally forgotten about the game modes. Apart from the Ultimate Team mode, which they have put a hell of a lot of work into; which is a shame considering the fact that it's so made-for-kids that the majority of players won't find it fun.

EDIT: Has anybody else playing the Ultimate Team mode found that, when you put your cards up for sale and then try to remove the ones that don't sell, you're told they have been and you're not allowed to remove them (to make space for the other cards you want to advertise)?

Has someone found a way to cheat and buy all of the cards without giving you any credits?

Last edited:
im ashamed to say that i am beggining to develop feelings for this game..........

Back
Top Bottom