UEFA Champions League For 360! (March 20th)

I do like this amd yes its better than 07, they have ironed out some issues. Sometimes it feels sluggish though and i still think the pitches are too far away from the stands. Theres an annoying glitch on dynamic cam too that makes the crowd dissapear in normal play.

It is fun to play though, scored a lovely low shot from ronaldhino from the edge of the box and i have seen the CPU attempt some headers which im pleased about.

As for it up against pes...I still feel pes is more rewarding once you get into it. At first when you play it it feels stiff and on rails but afetr a while you get used to that and it dissapears, and scoring can be bloody hard.

At the moment im expecting a revanped proper next gen title of pes 7 this year and with the advances made by ea, we could have come christmas two top football games to enjoy, instead of just the usual one.

I do agree though they really need to make the nets more flowing, they are a bit stiff.

I know you can mix your play up but whats the point? Even the quality players like Henry and Ronaldo can't seem to beat defenders, it's poo.

I don't get it. When I'm Ronaldo, Henry or Ronaldinho my mates start sweating 'cause they can't stop me. Speed wise or dribble wise...

And no, they're not crap at it.

On topic, too bad i can't rent this game (there's no videogame renting in portugal), because i'd like to try something more than the demo.

Well jacks enthousiasm, among a few others, has steered me to buy the thing. Fallin for it again, bastards! :lol: Will give some impressions tommorow at the earliest as i wont be able to play it till tommorow/sunday. Semi glad i wasnt going crazy with the d-pad/analog issue lol. @ jack, I think you might have gotton confused by playing the pc fifa07 with d-pad before the 360 release. Or you're just a bit f#$%ed up in the head ;)

Atleast ill be able to play a proper CL with a licensed liverpool now, as its not possible with pes and i couldnt be bothered to continue the managermode with 07. Hope i agree with you guys, as besides the niggles i found with 07 (which i asked about), i was really impressed with the gameplay engine.

After reading the reviews from sites, it seems apparent that the people that are rating Cl on its merits(gameplay advancements/graphics/etc) are mostly american, yet the ones that are looking to give it a kicking are european. The IGN UK one is a very obvious case of fanboyism, same guy reviewing fifa07/pes6/CL, and critising CL for "accuracy" faults yet glossing over pes'. Knobhead. Anyway, cant wait to give it a try tommorow

Last edited:
But the actual engine I love to pieces. I don't think the ball is floaty at all, I just think people are too used to PES and not used to realism.

I woke up this morning desperate for a game, and I haven't had that with PES for what, four years?

Really? what camera do you play on? The ball seem less floaty on Dynamic camera angle for me, however still floaty. In my opinion, PES ball physics are much, much better than Fifa's. No doubt.

hmm well, yeah im still enjoying this however on world class my opponent has reverted back to chesting crosses. Has anyone seen any headers yet by the cpu? has the cpu scored any yet?

Another thing, i got a ball in a pack of cards, and put it in my album but i cant select it before a match? anyone know why?

jflores, lets play a match later today. I got his game, so far im a bit disappointed. I agree with jlores that PES is still the king. I played WEJL Classico patch last night, 2 v 2 with my mates. It was way more fun then i have had with any of the last two fifas. Being Gullit, Van Basten, Rikard, Papin, Weah, is just too much fun. And the physics seem more real, and so does the gameplay compared to fifa. Fifa still seems clunky to me. They players dont make smooth moves or passes, its just clunky. Its fun, but they dont have the gameplay just yet

Really? what camera do you play on? The ball seem less floaty on Dynamic camera angle for me, however still floaty. In my opinion, PES ball physics are much, much better than Fifa's. No doubt.
Tele-cam. But don't you understand that PES doesn't have seperate ball physics and that the path and motion of the ball is worked out on the position of the kicker on the pitch and the goal/goalkeeper (i.e. the CPU process is "good button press, put the ball out of the keepers reach" or "bad button press, the ball will go here so that the goalkeeper can save it") rather than the actual kick, the position of the foot on the ball, the ground, the positioning of the players' body etc.? So how on EARTH can FIFA's ball physics be worse? There's certain instances where you could say it appears they've rushed the code, but not while in gameplay. If you hit the frame of the goal and the ball is going to go out, then it seems to trickle wide/over, but if it bounces back into play then it's okay.

As trance_allstar said in the other UEFA thread (PES6 vs UEFA Champions League in one of the PES forums), if you slow a replay of PES6 down and look at a low pass, the ball takes a perfectly straight line as if the ball is on a rail, and then takes random bounces that are supposed to simulate a bump in the ground, but they're totally wrong because the ball will almost "shake" and then stop, as if there was a tremor in the stadium.

Each to his own though, I guess...

hmm well, yeah im still enjoying this however on world class my opponent has reverted back to chesting crosses. Has anyone seen any headers yet by the cpu? has the cpu scored any yet?
Had two scored against me so far, four if you include offside goals. Admittedly, in 20+ matches, that's not a lot.

Another thing, i got a ball in a pack of cards, and put it in my album but i cant select it before a match? anyone know why?
Not sure - is it because you put it in your album rather than keeping it aside to "use", maybe?

They players dont make smooth moves or passes, its just clunky. Its fun, but they dont have the gameplay just yet
I disagree with this, but I'll admit dribbling isn't quite 100% right. It's not like you can do a little trick around a player and move past him as fluidly as you can in PES, which is a shame. But saying that, you can't do that in PES online anyway because of the lag, and UEFA has no lag online whatsoever (at least I haven't seen any yet).

I'm not getting bored of the game at all, I keep getting drawn back into it. The big selling-point for me is the results, which are fantastic. I love the fact that when you play the CPU, you can win one game and get totally smashed the next - without resorting to cheating, but by using clever play. As siralexisatwat said a few posts back, the work that EA have put in to code what they've done is amazing. With the freedom that the game has, it's very difficult to get the AI to respond in a realistic way, and they do - completely.

It's a shame that the little faults are too much for some people, but I can understand it as well. I'm happy though. :)

Last edited:
Tele-cam. But don't you understand that PES doesn't have seperate ball physics and that the path and motion of the ball is worked out on the position of the kicker on the pitch and the goal/goalkeeper (i.e. the CPU process is "good button press, put the ball out of the keepers reach" or "bad button press, the ball will go here so that the goalkeeper can save it") rather than the actual kick, the position of the foot on the ball, the ground, the positioning of the players' body etc.? So how on EARTH can FIFA's ball physics be worse? There's certain instances where you could say it appears they've rushed the code, but not while in gameplay. If you hit the frame of the goal and the ball is going to go out, then it seems to trickle wide/over, but if it bounces back into play then it's okay.

As trance_allstar said in the other UEFA thread (PES6 vs UEFA Champions League in one of the PES forums), if you slow a replay of PES6 down and look at a low pass, the ball takes a perfectly straight line as if the ball is on a rail, and then takes random bounces that are supposed to simulate a bump in the ground, but they're totally wrong because the ball will almost "shake" and then stop, as if there was a tremor in the stadium.

Had two scored against me so far, four if you include offside goals. Admittedly, in 20+ matches, that's not a lot.

Not sure - is it because you put it in your album rather than keeping it aside to "use", maybe?

I disagree with this, but I'll admit dribbling isn't quite 100% right. It's not like you can do a little trick around a player and move past him as fluidly as you can in PES, which is a shame. But saying that, you can't do that in PES online anyway because of the lag, and UEFA has no lag online whatsoever (at least I haven't seen any yet).

I'm not getting bored of the game at all, I keep getting drawn back into it. The big selling-point for me is the results, which are fantastic. I love the fact that when you play the CPU, you can win one game and get totally smashed the next - without resorting to cheating, but by using clever play. As siralexisatwat said a few posts back, the work that EA have put in to code what they've done is amazing. With the freedom that the game has, it's very difficult to get the AI to respond in a realistic way, and they do - completely.

It's a shame that the little faults are too much for some people, but I can understand it as well. I'm happy though. :)

sorry jack but i dont have lag in WE on live. And of course when i play 2 v 2 there is no lag. im going to play for an hour before england gets beat by the isralies

I thought I'd join here aswell. :)

The next thing for me will probably be to get an Xbox360. I have tried to find an enjoyable game on PC, but I have started getting bored of PES and I really like PGR on the 360. Plus the hazzle-free online gaming is also a big treat (if you have 20/3 connection it ought to work pretty flawlessly aswell).

I think I will wait for the next generation FIFA before I really give it a go, but the work they've done so far is absolutely in the right direction.

ive played it and its ok, but still a long way from pro evo, its got the arcade feel to it and its not as rewarding as pro evo, pro evo may be same game from 6 years ago but it just proves how far ahead of fifa it has been all this time, i respect the fact that some of u are in love with this game but i really dont understand why, i really dont, the ball is floaty and that really annoys me, anyway thats what i think

Lazandreas gives his opinions on uefa cl -

717891_356x237.jpg

I can't see why you all like it!

Last edited:

717891_356x237.jpg

nah man, i agree with him. It is fun, fifa. But its no way nearly as good as the gameplay that was in WE even WE7i , which was 3 iterations ago, and contrary to what you guys say, WE has improved the engine since then. There is that SOUL that fifa doesnt have that pro evo has. Every player in fifa or uefa feel the same, act the same, move the same,(with the exception of a few guys), in pro evo based on the physical attributes and skill attributes players look, feel, and act different. FIFA doesnt have that. The ratings of the players dont effect jack shit, and i hate that. Well at least not as it does in pro evo. I really cant see how you guys can say this is the best football game ever. I just dont get it. I still want to play you guys in this on live!

ok i've been playing this for a while now...

firstly, i agree with the other poster, i dont get the love in with this game to the extremes some people have gone to> It plays exactly like fifa 07 with a few tweaks.

Firstly the good. They have improved the gameplay and the a.i to some degree. The graphics are much better and the lighting and pitches have been improved greatly. The player models look great and i like the freedom of movement you get.

The ultimate team is more interesting than i first thought but im more interested in unlocking balls and boots at the mo.

The stuff that still annoys me:

They fixed the cpu heading TO A DEGREE, but not enough. Its so easy to defend at corners and at crosses because the CPU never gets in front and hardly jumps for a header, i mean its frecken ridiculous. I mean c'mon some of the best players in the world and i've seen two CPU headers, one that looped to the keeper and a diving header. thats it. In about 60 games.

Also the ball keeps doing that stupid sticky net thing. I cant stress enough how lazy it is when you still find these glitches, i mean they must test these games out? suely they can see theres stuff not right?

I also think while the a.i is improved its certainly not enough, although you can trigger a run of your men they still stand about a bit which is really daft. Also the cpu sometimes does stupid things like blast it miles over all the time when in good positions.

The finess shot is absoloutely useless in this game. At least in fifa there was a bit of use for it and you could hit some nice strikes. Now it just makes the shot like a lob almost and you cant get any power. Shooting on the whole is hit and miss and i think they need to sort the keeper out when he jumps up and catches it, looks odd.

So not bad, not really worth the money if you have fifa.

then explain to me how a fat amateur player for estonia can catch Henry in pes if stats mean so much in pes?

You are going in the stevie wonder category also. Thats 2 in, roll up roll up there is plenty of space in the wonder group hug.

jflores, lets play a match later today. I got his game, so far im a bit disappointed. I agree with jlores that PES is still the king. I played WEJL Classico patch last night, 2 v 2 with my mates. It was way more fun then i have had with any of the last two fifas. Being Gullit, Van Basten, Rikard, Papin, Weah, is just too much fun. And the physics seem more real, and so does the gameplay compared to fifa. Fifa still seems clunky to me. They players dont make smooth moves or passes, its just clunky. Its fun, but they dont have the gameplay just yet

Sure, I'll be online at about 9pm estern time tonight. Hit me up.

Jack, I understand what you mean about the ball physics, however it still seems a lot more natural to me than this games ball physics. Perhaps EA is just not doing right, or it needs more tweaking, I don't know...all I know is that the ball physics do not feel natural at times.

Also, the UK IGN review stated that this game feels like an unfinished product. I agree with him totally. It does feel that way. There is still a lot of Fifaish aroma crap in terms of gameplay and physics in this game that need to be completely revamped, and removed. Fun game to play though!

Hopefully one day they'll get it right. I just hope it will be before I pass to the other realm of existence ;-).

Has anybody noticed that if you choose two teams in the UEFA CL mode (for you and a mate), even if you both sign in, you have to use the same one profile... Meaning that if he loses 7-0, your offline profile will say your biggest loss was 7-0 - but even more frustratingly, if you have different control methods, you have to piss around with the settings every game.

Multiplayer-wise the game is a bit of a let-down, there's so little options. If you want to play a CL you have to play against the CPU, if you go into the lounge then it's constant friendlies. Very poor. And this is coming from someone who loves the game.

Oh and incidentally, for the people who keep sending me invites and voice messages (that's you csaunders), my internet connection is on and off all month because I've gone over my download limit (which I didn't even know I had thanks to the ISP keeping it a secret). I daren't try an online game yet, it's gone off twice while I've been writing this.

717891_356x237.jpg

u are an idiot! did i say anything wrong? or was that a picture of yourself that u posted, i cant believe u went to the trouble of finding a picture, like i said, u are an idiot

Has anybody noticed that if you choose two teams in the UEFA CL mode (for you and a mate), even if you both sign in, you have to use the same one profile... Meaning that if he loses 7-0, your offline profile will say your biggest loss was 7-0 - but even more frustratingly, if you have different control methods, you have to piss around with the settings every game.

Multiplayer-wise the game is a bit of a let-down, there's so little options. If you want to play a CL you have to play against the CPU, if you go into the lounge then it's constant friendlies. Very poor. And this is coming from someone who loves the game.

Oh and incidentally, for the people who keep sending me invites and voice messages (that's you csaunders), my internet connection is on and off all month because I've gone over my download limit (which I didn't even know I had thanks to the ISP keeping it a secret). I daren't try an online game yet, it's gone off twice while I've been writing this.

You can have upto 8 human players in the Champions league Jack. The only thing that really dissapoints me is the lack of game modes in single player also. Champions league over and over again.

then explain to me how a fat amateur player for estonia can catch Henry in pes if stats mean so much in pes?

You are going in the stevie wonder category also. Thats 2 in, roll up roll up there is plenty of space in the wonder group hug.

not in two v two mate, and obviously you dont know how to use super dribble.... i admit human vs cpu sucks on PES6 But much better on WEJL... WEJL is way better then pes6 IMO. Im not blind just someone who prefers WEJL to fifa, howhowewever i just had a great game with liverpool in Uefa. It was fun.

You can have upto 8 human players in the Champions league Jack.
I know, read what I said again... You can have as many players as you want but you all have to use the same controller, even if you all sign in as eight different profiles. Which is just plain stupid; that's real dark-ages stuff, from the days of the Amiga (where you could share a joystick to save you a few quid).

I love the tactical element to the game... Alan Hansen has said a few times on MotD "you should always play two more defenders than there are opposition strikers", and all of the times I've ignored that I've had goals scored against me. Also, if you're playing a team with a five-man midfield, it makes it very difficult in the middle and you find yourself having to switch formations yourself.

I absolutely love the game, despite it's faults. But the biggest shame is the lack of modes. I'm sure everybody disagrees from what I've read, but I personally don't mind if FIFA 08 is pretty much the same game but with more to do (especially in multiplayer)!!

After watching my mates play as various different teams versus the CPU while I waited for my turn in the CL, and watching Match Of The Day afterwards, I am absolutely astonished at how realistic the game is. The movement, the positioning, the tactics... In recent years I've not followed football as much as I used to (as you can tell by my absence from the football discussion threads), but UEFA has reignited a passion in me. :)

jflores and i played one game of UEFA, then i suggested to play W117 on 360, we just played three of the greatest games ever. And we both came to the conclusion that WE is still the king. im going to play more now of UEFA in a drunken haze

After watching my mates play as various different teams versus the CPU while I waited for my turn in the CL, and watching Match Of The Day afterwards, I am absolutely astonished at how realistic the game is. The movement, the positioning, the tactics... In recent years I've not followed football as much as I used to (as you can tell by my absence from the football discussion threads), but UEFA has reignited a passion in me. :)

I'm 100% with you Jack. However I won't forget what happened with FIFA 07 which I loved until I figured out how to beat the CPU.
So far, UEFA has been great. The only thing I saw twice already and didn't like was the goalie's clearance ending up in the most beautiful long ball for one of the strikers. I was playing one of my mates. Warning.
One more thing, don't judge this game by the demo. The demo plays more like FIFA 07 than the final game to me.

Last edited:
My first impressions of the game?
I'm impressed, it's an improvement, most certainly. But some players seem... unrealistic?
Henry for example, plays. (This is an over-exaggeration, but Henry seems unstoppable way way way to much in this game.)
Lehmann is another great example, one game against Real Madrid, C. Ronaldo netted 7 goals, with 4 more from Rooney, against Arsenal? 6 shots, all blocked by Lehmann. In my opinion, Casillas is a better keeper, but not by much, but opinions aside, the gap should not be that great.

Graphically? LETTERING. GET IT RIGHT EA. My god, I hate playing against Real, Van NistelRooy's name makes me want to cry. Plus Ronaldo's Utd. Jersey says "Ronaldo", not "C. Ronaldo". It's the things like this that urk me the most. Skin color still looks incredibly pale for us Italians, Cannavaro looks like he hasn't seen sunlight in DAYS. and EA seems to have forgotten the colour Brown for hair (Lehmanns hair is NOT black, and neither is Crespo's).

Back
Top Bottom