UEFA Champions League For 360! (March 20th)

I'm checking this thread every three minutes now. It was every five minutes yesterday.

I need this game. If I don't get an email from ShopTo saying they've shipped the game within the next six hours... I might cry.

Did this thing earlier when I was playin where the ball was sort of bouncing a bit and with Henry he sort of controlled it whilst it was bouncing then hit it on the half volley and it just went wide. It felt so organic and not just like a pre-set animation from Pro Evo.

edit: gameplay have taken the money out of my account so it should arrive on Thursday :D

Last edited:
If Kevano doesn't get back with his impressions soon then I might have to drive around Derby tomorrow shouting "COOPZ" until someone responds.

I'd record it, but if the tape fell into the wrong hands, I'd get life imprisonment - what with all of the kidnapping, dragging into dark places and beating until the location of the XBOX 360 and game was disclosed. Twelve times, with twelve different people with the surname "Cooper" who live in Derby.

Say what you want about EA and FIFA/UEFA, but I'll tell you what, the release of a PES hasn't excited me this much in years. With each PES since PES3, I've not even looked out for the release date and I've just grabbed a copy when I've gone down to the shops. The changes that EA are making to the gameplay are so exciting.

If I don't have this game within 24 hours I can see myself being hospitalised; either because of massive, massive withdrawal symptoms, causing blindness and extreme diarrhea, or because my girlfriend has smashed my XBOX 360 over my head in an effort to get me to shut up about it.

Last edited:
Right Im back

Just had a friendly and a champions league tournament.

Friendly it was me and my mate as Newcastle v Man Utd - with Larsson up front.

The game instantly looks and feels far better than FIFA 07. Although I WAS playing this on a SDTV, which I havent used for an X-360 since I got my own.

The stadiums look fucking fantastic, and the game when in play looked pretty damn good too!

Now im presuming I wont have experienced it in its full glory as I was only on a SDTV, but the presentation is second to none. I love watching the introductions to the teams and watching the lineups, just like on TV.

First kick of the ball, and you can tell its completely differnt to FIFA 07 and in a very, very good way. I started to HATE FIFA 0 7 because it was WAY too easy and something never felt right. This just feels right.

The way they run and pass, do nifty little turns, especially ronaldo, you dont even wanna bother tryna tackle him unless he puts the ball too far ahead of himself because he will just embarrass you.

I still havent got to grips with the shooting system, although this did take me at least 3 weeks with FIFA 07 and I havent played that in a few months so maybe Im a bit rusty.

Anyway, this friendly finished 0-0, the only real effort on goal coming from a Paul Scholes effort that smashed the woodwork and went over.

Then we started a UEFA tournament with PSV (who are unlisenced and have matthew bell playing for them at left back :lol:)

We were drawn with Liverpool, Kyiv and Porto

We got off to a terrible start, losing are first two games to porto and kyiv...ON PROFESSIONAL!

However, whilst we were trailing 1-0 at Kyiv, we were kindly informed by our comentator that Liverpool had scored a fourth against Porto, a superb little touch.

Throughout the tournament we were also informed of big match scores too, really surprising yet fantastic to hear.

Theres loads more to the game than there was in FIFA 07, after about 10 games, I still havent found a way to score 9 times out of 10.

On a bad note, some keepers are REALLY dodgy and the net physics are fucking terrible! The ball landed on the roof of the net then started disapearing and reappearing all over the god damn net, how did they miss that in the testing?!

Sometimes, the bar and post react incredibly, Kuyt pinged a shot off the post and it sounded and reacted like reality, yet scholes hit the bar in our first game and it just didnt seem "pingy" off the bar as it should have.

Will definately be trading FIFA and NHL on friday for this, if theres no lag then we are in for a fair game online!

P.S Forgot to add the collision detection is far better now, its quite hard to tackle them and retain possesion at first, but you start to learn and after 10 games or so you will start to realise you have to back off, not run all over the show and just close down the space.

At times you do notice the CPU dribble a bit TOO much too, but it was only on a rare occasion, nothing to worry about.

oh PPS, you can actually slide tackle now and play on! As long as you time it right, and dont follow thorough, the ref should let the game flow!

I cant wait to play it on my HD TV now :(

For me right now im not liking the passing animation. The way players lean back doesnt seem quite right. Same with the shooting, although thats slightly better.

I think overall there is a difference with this and '07. The passing is much better and I have to agree that the pace is slower. Ive only had just over an hour on it so cant come to conclusions right now, but first impressions are good.

I liked Fifa '07 at first but after a while the flaws became to much for me and the super keepers did my head in. I hope this games lasts a little longer in my 360.

Kevano, I love you. If you're ever down my way, feel free to drop by for a match and a complimentary pint. :thumbup:

Few questions for you though, if you don't mind me asking!

I don't suppose you noticed if, when you start a tournament, you can choose one team and your mate can choose another? Or is this still missing?

You mention that a few goalkeepers are "dodgy" - care to elaborate on the incidents of this? Sounds like it could be a potential game-ruiner...

The commentators keeping you up-to-date on other matches sounds AMAZING! Do they say "and in the Porto match, they've taken the lead" or do they say both teams? And do they actually say the score or do they just say "they've scored again" etc.?

Cheers... ROLL ON THURSDAY (if I don't get it a day early then I will be going down to my local games shop and buying it twice, I don't care if I have to take it back the next day)!

Jack Bauer:

i am gobsmacked......have got hold of the full game today due to friend who works at GAME............anyway........guess what....

THE HEADING IS SORTED!!

I sat back (always do this with sports games to watch the all important AI intelligence...) and for first 10 mins didnt see a single header attempted or shall i say 'connected' from any cross, and this was playing Liverpool v Barca (WORLD CLASS level)...........then, I set it to ManUre (hate em) v Barca in a friendly in the Della Alpi in sunshine/day mode, and set it to SEMI PRO and sat back...........within space of 3mins Eto scored from a clever header from a 'loose' high ball............but........and here is the bit i was praying for...........ManUre had 3 attempts from headers from crosses, all realistic techniques and the 'connection' with the ball was realistic, though none of them were goals.

SO................Heading is fixed.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

One word to sum this game up (though found pc and ps2 vers as usual to be old engine and crap) on 360 is STUNNING.

Finest football recreation ever on console or PC by far.

WELL DONE E.A.

Dazza

i bought the official version yesterday. went into my local JB Hi- Fi (electronics store in australia) and there it was on the shelf. 3 days early. thought "im having that" and nabbed it for $99. which is probably around 35 pounds i guess.

first impressions are that its an improvement on fifa 07 but doesnt feel as free. this is probably due to the reduction in speed. also the ball feels heavier and much easier to control. still the fact that collisions have been largely fixed makes it a superb game for me as i loved fifa 07 so much. tackling seems tuned up as well, its much easier to land a decent slide tackle without getting carded.
the presentation is superb but really nothing better than anything we saw on the last generation games. there are still some annoying little niggles in that department that need fixing.

eg. a player gets injured, is shown in pain and limping so you sub him off. then you get the cut scene of him jogging off, clapping.
also ive found some annoying commentary glitches. celtic keep getting called charlton athletic!

all in all a nice touch up on the fifa 07 engine but i am awaiting fifa 08 and anxiously hoping that they include all the leagues this time. its still a little dissapointing to only have a small number of teams.

Lol, Chris, I dont drink but thanks :)

First question -

I cant actually tell you that, but I know we had to toggle the user team, so maybe if I tried to choose another team too, then you would have two human teams in the tournament.

I do know that the teams are randomly generated into the tournament based on where they are from, for example if you wanted to replace Bayern, you would only be allowed to replace them with another German team, thought that was pretty good.

Second question -

By dodgy, I mean things like they could have saved a goal if they had of used their left hand instead of their right.

Or trying to save the ball and it will just clip their finger tips and still go in, instead of palming it wide or over.

Didnt happen all the time though. I also know the stupid fucking RB curl shot doesnt go in on the angle, we tried this twice and the keeper just caught it. I also tried to shoot from the halfway line and the keeper did the same.

Last question -

I distincly remember the commentators saying something like "And Liverpool have scored another one against Porto, its now 4-0"

But dont get your hopes up mate, I think its a good game, I will start to dislike it when the twats online find new ways of cheating.

But if they do, im confident enough single player will be entertaining, Im actually looking forward to the Ultimate Team Mode, as well as the challenges, and the actual uefa cl tournies!

Jack Bauer:

i am gobsmacked......have got hold of the full game today due to friend who works at GAME............anyway........guess what....

THE HEADING IS SORTED!!

I sat back (always do this with sports games to watch the all important AI intelligence...) and for first 10 mins didnt see a single header attempted or shall i say 'connected' from any cross, and this was playing Liverpool v Barca (WORLD CLASS level)...........then, I set it to ManUre (hate em) v Barca in a friendly in the Della Alpi in sunshine/day mode, and set it to SEMI PRO and sat back...........within space of 3mins Eto scored from a clever header from a 'loose' high ball............but........and here is the bit i was praying for...........ManUre had 3 attempts from headers from crosses, all realistic techniques and the 'connection' with the ball was realistic, though none of them were goals.

SO................Heading is fixed.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!
OH YES!!!!!! :D

That's fantastic news, cheers for posting that! :D My only worry now is the moments of dodgy goalkeeping that Kevano mentioned above. I'm hoping that the incidents he mentions were one-offs, but... It's a worry.

But in tweaking the heading, you've just confirmed that this will be the second time in a row that EA has released a demo of FIFA/UEFA and then tweaked it even further before final release. Again, even if you dislike the game, you can't say that EA aren't working their bollocks off with their football games now. Konami don't do that; once the demo is out then that's your lot, what you see is what you get.

Don't suppose you could lend it me for a few days... :(

also ive found some annoying commentary glitches. celtic keep getting called charlton athletic!
:| Now that is shocking, if that's in the final version and it doesn't get patched then that is poor. If I was a Celtic fan then that would drive me nuts, that's really bad!

Lol, Chris, I dont drink but thanks :)
Neither do I but I didn't say what it was a pint of, did I? You can have a pint of Vimto! ;)

Cheers for all the answers, much appreciated. And as for your last comment:
But dont get your hopes up mate, I think its a good game, I will start to dislike it when the twats online find new ways of cheating.
I rarely play strangers online, because it always ends up the same; they're either a cheat or they've played the game 17 hours a day since it was released. Against the lads like you it should be a laugh, and with mates around it should be great as well.

Oh God, someone has to lend me the game before Friday.........

Last edited:
Yeah forgot to mention that actually, I found the full game to be far more enjoyable than the demo.

When you smack it up, your strikers dont ALWAYS win the ball, and oh fuck i forgot this bit, it made me really happy...:lol:

When I was looking for space to run into for my mate to through ball it too me, the defenders just stuck by me, wouldnt give me the chance to run, I had to run across the line, come back, go to the side, sprint then stop. I think we made ONE killer through ball in the 10 games, due to me making a clever little run.

Maybe it will be easier when playing alone because the AI will make them runs, but it felt great looking to get into positions with a mate.

OK it's been so long since I played FIFA 07 but what was the default / best camera in that? This games feels much more refined than FIFA 07 but I only had 1 game of Arsenal V Reading in the UEFA version but I like it, But what is the best Camera Angle to play it on.

I personally have to have the camera on the sideline and as zoomed out as possible, which is the "tele" cam in FIFA/UEFA (and the only cam you're allowed to use in the UEFA demo). You can see where the majority of your players are then without having to make blind passes all the time; but I've noticed a few lads in this thread say that they can't stand the "tele" cam and that it's far too far away.

Personally I think the further away it is the better, so it's a personal thing really!

2 things I dont like about next-gen Fifa. Heading and goalkeeping. I hope they fix them both in a big way for Fifa 08 and it will be amazing.

Well, judging from siralexisatwat's post above, they've fixed the heading. :)

And at least the goalkeeping isn't as bad as it was before. :eh:

ooh, just to reiterate, ive only watched cpu v cpu so whether heading for us humans playing it is improved ive yet to witness, but im guessing that its fixed for both...

dazzA

2 new videos on gametrailers.com

Shot-blocking gameplay and
Penalty kick gameplay

Even thought the penalty is actually a free kick and the 2 people playing the game are FUCKING awful. Gameplay seems good though.. a little easy but they may be playing on amature for the Udinese-Milan vid. Also the goal is a header but the goalkeeper is crap. Hmm

Well the demo isn't the latest version, and the goalkeeper's antics haven't ruined the game in 20+ matches (of two halves) now, so I'm quite hopeful. Even with it's faults, I'm having so much fun with it. The final nail was put in PES's coffin for me a long time ago, but with this new release I'm so glad that there is an alternative to Pro Robo Soccer. Errr, Pro Evo Soccer, sorry.

The quotes from Kevano, Siralexisatwat and Guffers above fill me with hope; although come Thursday I will be so full of hope I'll be expecting to be able to do virtual team-talks at half time and kick boots at my players' heads.

Last edited:
just played another few matches and you will be pleased to know jack that i'm loving it even more! it feels quite a bit different than fifa 07 to me, perhaps even a slightly bigger shift than between any of the pro evo games. i cranked up the difficulty to world class and set the pass assistance to zilch and am finding it really hard to create chances (just as it should be!)

everything feels more grounded now, heavier and more realistic. fifa 07 felt slightly too light at times, especially the ball. now it seems sorted.

but i still can't get a player to head the ball at goal. my defenders head it clear out of their own area all the time but whenever i loft in a cross they always chest it down first. perhaps my technique is lacking. anyone got any tips for heading at goal? no doubt i'm still carrying years of patterning from pro evo!! :)

dont worry too much about the commentary glitch, its minor and doesn't happen too often, only every few games. clive sometimes says something like "charlton athletic have the ball now and need to score" when its clearly celtic. not a deal breaker by any means. the fact that PSV are unlicensed is a little concerning and also the fact that most keepers still don't have official kits. its strange that EA prides themselves on authenticity and licenses yet year after year fifa has goal keepers with fake kits. not to mention the refs have bland generic kits as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom