UEFA Champions League 05/06 Thread

Re: UEFA Champions League 05/06 Thread (Last 16 Drawn)

Cool so I guess the dream is still possible! :)

Barca/Chelsea vs. Lyon in what will be the ultimate Final of 2 best teams in Europe!

oh well for all we know it could also be Rangers vs. Villareal ! :D

so let's just wait and see ;)

by the way once Klasnic is back too and Werder again have the amazing triangle of Double K (Klasnic and Klose) + Micoud, I wouldn't rule them out either with extra magnificent players like Baumann and Borowski also in line up.

Well PLF, the team i prefer to win is Lyon, but PSV is a difficult team.
I think Villareal are a decent enough team.
Most people in her consider them a lesser team but they eliminated Man Utd...

Well no offense mate but I myself consider them one of the weakest teams as well in last 16 AFTER Rangers (whom I consider worst again no offense this is just my personal opinion) and after Ajax.

For example I think Werder is stronger squad wise and has more chance of winning CL than Villareal despite them coming 2nd in their group and Villareal winning theirs. Because I think Villareal's group had no real TOP TEAM that every other group did (well it did NAME-wise in form of Man Utd) but in reality all were very equal/close to each other and if there was a good team in there, they'd finished with some style in first rather than it being determined in last match by slight points where as I think if Werder were there, they'd finished first but Barca is too much to finish ahead of :) so they came 2nd in their own group.

Of course I think all 16 last teams are descent teams and capable of any shock including Villareal but I won't count on them for much although I do expect them to get past Rangers!

And yes I hope Lyon gets revenge but PSV is very tricky team and on their best form, they can beat any side in world so why not Lyon! so it'll be a very good match as will Barca vs. Chelski ;)

Looking forward to them but they're sooo far away :(

Last edited:
Re: UEFA Champions League 05/06 Thread (Last 16)

Getting nervous for the the cash of the titans Prof???
I suppose Barcelona could ruin Chelsea's season, "merely" a second title won't be enough for Chelsea...

Hey i'd be happy with it. Plus we're still in the cup. I don't fancy our chances sans Gallas though. We need pace in defence.
Last season, the Barca games were the only matches which really set my heart racing. It looks set to do it again. There's a history of goals in the Chelsea/Barca games. But i'm guessing Barca will come out on top this time.
I'm looking forward to the Real - Arsenal game. Roberto Carlos has being saying how they're going to "rip the Arsenal defence apart." Don't you just love the manly pre-match talk :mrgreen:

The only reason Carlos has said he want to 'rip arsenal apart' is probably because for the last 2 years he's had to contend with rumours that real will spend £20-30 million on As. Cole as his apparent heir in the long run.

there not exactly a team to start talking about ripping defences apart. we have the capability to rip theres apart also. our defence (with kolo and eboue both back) did a reasonable job against liverpool and its possible ash could be back for the first leg, definitley the second.

bradley1886 said:
there not exactly a team to start talking about ripping defences apart. we have the capability to rip theres apart also. our defence (with kolo and eboue both back) did a reasonable job against liverpool and its possible ash could be back for the first leg, definitley the second.

I'm more worried about Senderos' temperment. He just seems to fall to pieces!

bradley1886 said:

Wow, how come they're not? Best team in 2006 so far, my friend. You should watch some of the latest games of Real Madrid... pretty amazing gameplay, rock-solid defense (S.Ramos - Woodgate, just 23 goals against this season). Cicinho+Beckham on the right wing, R.Carlos+Robinho on the left, 'New Born' Zidane+Guti at top level... plus Ronaldo/Baptista/Soldado/Whoever to finish'em. Those can rip ANY defence apart! :D

Gedtillo, Madrid has been playing the worst teams in Spain for the last weeks. The only real team they faced was Celta and they won by pure luck. I reckon the play better, but still far from the best temas right now in Europe: Juventus, Chelsea, Lyon and Barcelona.

Said that, It would surprise me if Madrid doesn't win by a large margin against Arsenal. Having seen Arsenal poor displays lately, I expect Madrid to win easily.

About the Champions League itself, I think it would be better to have a different knockout system. That is, after the first league groups are finished, perform a kind of table with points of all the teams and make 1st play aginst last and so on... That would prevent Chelsea - Barcelona, Bayern - Milan or Madrid-Arsenal at the same time that you have Rangers-Villarreal or similar. That would make all the league matches more important and exciting, and would be easier to have the more expected matches later than in the first ko round.

gerd said:
And of course you're not biased Gedtillo??????

I TOTALLY AM!! :) But hey, it is fair as long as I admit it, right? ;) I know I am very, very biased... but it is true that Madrid are playing way better than Barcelona right now, and getting better results.

It is not true that Real Madrid has been playing the worst teams in Spain lately. There have also been games against Osasuna, Villareal (draws) Sevilla, Celta, Zaragoza... which are far from being the worst teams in Spain. Their gameplay has improved A LOT from last year's ending, and since the start of the year they've found a team balance, some players are reaching a great level (i.e. Zidane, Guti, Robinho, Cicinho, Woody). In fact, for the last two months their results in La Liga have been great (18 scored, 4 against - six wins in a row). I am biased, but Real Madrid are back in the group of the best teams in Europe. Barça, Juve, Chelsea... are still stronger... but not that much now.

Apart from Barca, Juve and Chelsea, you forget Bayern Munich and Lyon who are both better than Real and Arsenal in my opinion and have better chance of winning it that is if Lyon can get past PSV (this one is the toughest) and yes it's cool to be biased as long as you admit it, no problem :)

Last edited:

Yeah, Bayern and Lyon are also better than Real Madrid right now... But hey, it doesn't take being the best team to win the Champions League. We were not better than Juve in '98 and we won. We were not better than Bayern in 2000 and we won. We definetely were not better than Leverkusen in 2002 and we won. :)

Definately right. The only time in my opinion you can truly say the best team won is when the format is like "League" not "Knockout" but since that just simply is not possible for competitions like CL, World Cup, Euro, it means many times perhaps the best team doesn't win but best in those few matches and with luck and with injury that others face and etc.

Which doesn't mean that I prefer the best team to win always! :D I love the knockout stages of any competition, it's football in all its glory, you place your bet and try to win!

ive got a good feeling bout tonight =)...think we could be in with a shot.
cole wont be playing unfortunately, but reyes is back, and walcott will be on the bench, if he gets his debut, hes gonna be bursting to impress, and he'll kill reals defence with his pace. heres to hoping eh? =D

I hope a Benfica win today at Luz, I've got a good feeling about that. I hope it! :)

Good luck Rangers - I hope you win the European Cup just to see the look on the Celtic fans faces! :lol:

Good result for Milan. 1-1 at the Allianz Arena. Milan could have made it 2-1 but Gilardino fucked up, and Rensing made a save on Sheva's tap.

Too bad Dida got injured :( He made an INCREDIBLE save on Makaay. Ballack scored a beautiful goal though.

Little jammy result for Milan. The penalty was very stupid by Ismael.

Great goal from Ballack.

What was Gattuso thinking while he was falling down to the ground as if he has been shot. :roll:
Normally he is the tough guy, no?

No Bayern supporter here, I actually hate them, but this acting like girls I don't like. :x

Yeh hes been an idiot this year. Nesta played an incredible game, and Sheva tried alot too. Bayern were way better in the first half then kinda got desperate.

:D

Benfica 1-0 Liverpool (Luisão @ 83')

A studied free kick from Petit, the ball flew right into Luisão's head who allocated the ball in the lower left corner, leaving Reina stuck to the ground :)

NINGUE'M PA'RA O BENFICA!

kel said:
Little jammy result for Milan. The penalty was very stupid by Ismael.

Great goal from Ballack.

What was Gattuso thinking while he was falling down to the ground as if he has been shot. :roll:
Normally he is the tough guy, no?

No Bayern supporter here, I actually hate them, but this acting like girls I don't like. :x

he'd be a perfect actor but the comedy he is pulling up on the pitch is just fantastic, LOVE watching him. :mrgreen: he's got good spirit in my eyes and is also a real fighter if he's not rolling around on the grass holding his face :lol:

beautiful goal by ballack, btw.

I really, really, really etc PRAY for a Barcelona v AC Milan final. It would be GORGEOUS! Anyone agree?

hm, barca yeah but milan? i'd like to see benfica or rangers :D

Back
Top Bottom