UEFA Champions League 05/06 Thread

ClassicD said:
Watched the Man Utd game, thought the lack of respect shown to Benfica by the Sky pundits and in particular Andy Gray was disgusting. He said Benfica are "not a good side", and that "they're not good enough to play in the Premiership", by the last comment did he mean they'd get relegated if they played there? :roll:

Although Benfica deserved the win, I still found myself willing Man United to score, just to see how much of a change in attitude from Benfica there would be regarding 'injuries'.

And that's not entirely wrong Classic.
Benfica just wen't through 6 weeks without winning a single domestic and international game. They had just won a game this weekend 1-0 due to a pathetic mistake by an oposting CB.

To make it worse benfica was without a lot of influential players, so Manchester United's performance becomes even more scandalous.

So... if it's true this benfica would struggle in the PL the fact is that this week manchester would go down in the portuguese league for sure :).

Mauras... be quiet!

This is the truth about Sporting:

18 years without winning a single title.
More than 1 month without winning and scoring a goal in away games.
Debts in the value of 3 Million euros.
Goal Average no more than 1,2 goals per game.
Out of European competitions by Halmstads!! :lmao:

Mauras, this is the club who makes all Benfica supporters laugh! :lol:

hush pelintra...

respect the last lisbon team to win an european trophy and also the last one to book a presence in an european final. :)

Today's benfica is a joke. The fact is every single fan from the other 15 teams in CL are praying to get benfica on the draw. Sintomatic :)

PS - Sporting makes you laugh? Were were your laughs in the last derby? :)

Mauras did you at least see Benfica-Man U?

Can you recognise a good match of football instead of only seeing things with your heart?

Re: UEFA Champions League 05/06 Thread (Last 16 Drawn)

OMG, again Chelsea vs Barca. Draw seems alot like last years, some very strong and some pretty weak match-ups...at least we'll get to see some cracking games!

I hope Barca do manange to win this time, its their turn for glory.

haha, bet Chelsea wish they managed to get that victory against Liverpool now, seeing as they've got Barca and Liverpool got Benfica.

Can't see past Barca for that game, Madrid and Arsenal is a toss of the coin although I'll say Arsenal, Juve, another close one with Bayern and Milan but I'll say Milan, Lyon, another close one with Ajax and Inter but I'll opt for Inter, Liverpool and a bye for Villareal. :mrgreen:

FD

Chelsea!! \\:o/
Joan Laporta (FCB President) wants Chelsea and a lot of supporters like me, too
Now is the time, and the Champions is our
DREAM TEAM II

Real Madrid! Awesome...

I think we've got every chance of beating them, they have similar flaws to our's this season. Ronaldo will leave Cygan for dead :( But I cant see Woody testing Henners :) A lot of goals in this one I reckon :mrgreen:

lmao this draw is classic. Im gonna love watching Real v Arsenal and Chelse v Barcelona haha no CL this season for Jose mourinho. Champions League your having a laugh champions league your having a laugh! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Real-Arsenal... that will be a really great game, I hope with a better result for Real Madrid they want to win and they will win... sorry Arsenal...

I really hope the Arsenal and Chelsea games are on different days!

Thanks god !!!!

Real vs Arsenal :) (Zidane vs Henry for the first time)
PSV vs Lyon (Revenge)
Barca vs Chelsea (Revenge)

Chelsea v Barca. . imagine the battle on the wings - Roanldhino/Messi v Robben/Duff/cole/SWP.

This was a classic pair of matches last year. I hope Barca wins it, crushed Moronhio's ego and that Liverpool face Barca this year. Win or lose wouldnt' matter. If you're a fan of football, you want to see your team take on this Barca team.

Benfica vs Liverpool. LOL I coudn't believe.

Next step: Kick the reds ass.

ghazi said:
Chelsea v Barca. . imagine the battle on the wings - Roanldhino/Messi v Robben/Duff/cole/SWP.

This was a classic pair of matches last year. I hope Barca wins it, crushed Moronhio's ego and that Liverpool face Barca this year. Win or lose wouldnt' matter. If you're a fan of football, you want to see your team take on this Barca team.
It sure is that's why I want to see Lyon vs. Barca in final if that's possible!

As for our draw well PSV is not one I would've hoped for. They are a very tricky team and on their day are capable of beating best sides in world and they did knock Lyon out last year so hopefully this year OL will get revenge but I'd much preferred to be drawn against Rangers/Ajax or even Benfica personally

Oh dear! I bet Chav$ki wished they'd won their group now, Barca please teach those Russian rent boys how to play football

Barcelona are strong but i don't see why Chelsea should be afraid of them...
Just like last year, Lyon is my team, butyes PLF PSV is a very tricky team, Lyon will have to be better than last year...last year they underachieved against PSV (certainly in the home leg).

Stan said:
Barcelona are strong but i don't see why Chelsea should be afraid of them...
Yeah. This time they should just handcuff the Barca keeper during a last min corner.

We are not afraid, we will rough them up, Barca cant scrap! they are a finesse team. We have Crespo whose doing excellent now, i reckon he will be starting, remember, Barca weak on defense, well see what they do in the transfer window that will be interesting.

They can beat us , y not, they have Ronnie + Messi.

I think we going to suffer from Essien Loss, Essien + Makalele Combo , pure midfield domination.

But they have an advantage by playing the second game at home, i beleive.
It should be a final's match or atleast semis, villarael vs rangers, give me a f break, b$ draw.

I agree Chelseafan that I'd much rather see this as a final or semi-final but why is it B.S draw??

After all Villareal won their group and Chelsea didn't! So you pay for it now! ;)

RuneEdge said:
Yeah. This time they should just handcuff the Barca keeper during a last min corner.

Well it's quite possible that there will once again quite a lot of controversy about Chelsea's European campaign this season, i'll grant you that.

By the way what you think of the draw for Man Utd??? OOPS....my mistake...oh could it be that you are just jealous (last year was a big success too, wasn't it???).

I think you deserved that after your envious remark...maybe you could support Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea...Man Utd might need them to play in UEFA CUp next year...

Last year barcelona played at stamford bridge without some key players: Edmilson, Marquez, Belletti. And Deco was just recovered from an injury and other players were also injured (Larsson, Motta, Gabri). So 6 injuries were too much for the defensive midfield when we went to Stamford. Imagine a Chelsea playing at nou camp without Makelele, Essien and Ferreira...

This year we have Xavi injuried, and it's a terrible loss. But we have recovered Edmislon, Motta, Marquez, and we also have Messi, a player just as big as Ronaldinho (it's not exageration, I swear I had never seen a 18 years player like that in all my life) and probably the fastest player with the ball in his feet.

Besides, I don't think Chelsea will be as fortunate as last year.

The only thing I hope is if Chelsea will shoot to goal at Nou Camp, considering last year they didn't even shoot or won a corner or nothing. Let's see if they are quite decent this time and they don't put 10 men in the own area and succeed in passing 3 times the ball.

Me and all my mates were praying for a Chelsea - Barcelona, because we want to put things right and show that last year was a terrible and (very) fortunate accident. Cheers!!!!

Last edited:

I think Barça deserves a Revenge, since I've Spanish blood too and my 2nd favourite team is Barça.

Good Luck "Culés".

I'm supporting Barca as well against Chelsea in that match!

I hope they get revenge this time and make it through semis.

By the way will the winner of these 2 teams meet winner of Lyon vs. PSV ? or is it possible to get Barca/Chelsea vs. Lyon in final? :D

I hope it is but I haven't had look at structure and was wondering if anybody knows or if it'll be determined/drawn again after those matches are played.

Another draw will take place to determine the quarter and semi finals with no country protection

Back
Top Bottom