UEFA Champions League 05/06 Thread

ClassicD said:
If PSV had the type of cash Milan had, then maybe they could be criticised for being defensive. As it was, they have sold two of their best players from last season and still managed to go there and take a point, a great result. It's up to Milan with their Shevchenkos, Kakas and Pirlos to break them down.

It's naive to expect a blatantly less talented side to go there and play all-out attacking football, and it amuses me when fans of these big sides cry about such things. :)

Agreed, which is why i was confused at why people were blasting Greece for the way they won the Euro (Revan ;) ).

Anyone see the Schalke vs Fenerbahce game? Looked like a cracker, some great goals, leads chopping and changing, red cards, flare-ups and even a goalkeeping howler :lol: :applause:

Revan said:
... some comparison and why i'm the target eludes me.

This may be the wrong topic to bring this up again, but i seem to recall you being quite bitter about the way Greece beat your country in the Euro 2004 (playing defensively against a team with superior players), which is where the comparison between that and Classic D's post is.

Last edited:
^ Did PSV win? No
Greece won, that's what's disgusting, the "best" team was not better than the others, just lucky...

Although they have to be congratulated for being so efficient

IMHO a "lesser" team has every right to play Catenaccio.
I agree completely with Classic and one might even add that it would be interesting to find out in what way the cash of all these clubs was generated.Seeing all the corruption in Italian football and the corruption "around" Berlusconi one has to wonder if clubs like Milan (Berlusconi), Madrid (from nearly bankrupt to being rich in a couple of weeks time) or Juventus (EPO) won their silverware in a fair way.
And as much as i like Chelsea (i'm no fan) i'm afraid that sooner or later it will be clear that Abramovich money is suspect too (at least tax fraud, there is already a case up and running against him here in Belgium).
Yesterday was another frustrating day for Belgian football. Liverpool were clearly the better team in the match against Anderlecht. In fact Anderlecht should better play like PSV played: defensively. The problem of Anderlecht is that they have a tradition (or they believe to have a tradition) of playing galactico-style football with a team consisting of far from galactico players.Yesterday was their 10th consecutive defeat in the CL...an astonishing record...but "records are for Kylie and we don't care about them...".

Milanista said:
When Milan does it, they score. PSV had 1 shot all match. Took off their only striker for a defensive midfielder.

what classicd said. also, we got alot of injuries to deal with and we have 3 new players but they arent allowed to play in the CL untill the next round. Bringing in Assiatie, a 17 year old lad, against AC Milan says it all i guess. Btw, Assitie isnt a defensive midfielder but an attacking midfielder and he played on farfan' spot after the subtitution while farfan was positioned as a striker. so we still played 4-3-3. psv is always going for 3 points, it wasnt like they didnt wanted to play football, milan was just all over them, and this young unexperienced squad couldnt handle it. the team is brand new so the speak, it takes time. maybe in two weeks it will be the other way around.

The CL is back today!
Matchday 4 - Tuesday, 01 November

E PSV - Milan
E Schalke - Fenerbahçe
F Olympiacos - Lyon
F Rosenborg - Real Madrid
G Betis - Chelsea
G Liverpool - Anderlecht
H Artmedia - Rangers
H Internazionale - Porto

Matchday 4 - Wednesday, 02 November

A Club Brugge - Rapid
A Juventus - Bayern
B Arsenal - Sparta
B Thun - Ajax
C Barcelona - Panathinaikos
C Bremen - Udinese
D Benfica - Villarreal
D Lille - Man. United

Revan said:
The CL is back today!
Matchday 4 - Tuesday, 01 November

E PSV - Milan - Can see a draw here.
E Schalke - Fenerbahçe - Not sure how Fener travel, but another possible draw.
F Olympiacos - Lyon - Another draw, but if anyone wins, it'll be Lyon.
F Rosenborg - Real Madrid - Madrid to win.
G Betis - Chelsea - Away win, Betis are mince.
G Liverpool - Anderlecht - Home win, I heard some pundit say that Anderlecht where the worst team he'd saw in the CL for a while.
H Artmedia - Rangers - Think it'll be a draw, but wouldn't surprise me if someone wins 1-0.
H Internazionale - Porto - Inter to win, Porto very poor.

Matchday 4 - Wednesday, 02 November

A Club Brugge - Rapid - I'll go for a home win.
A Juventus - Bayern - Home win, think Juve will get revenge.
B Arsenal - Sparta - Home win, easy.
B Thun - Ajax - A possible draw, although if I was to pick a winner Ajax in a close game.
C Barcelona - Panathinaikos - Barca, easy, 3-0 at least.
C Bremen - Udinese - Draw, 0-0.
D Benfica - Villarreal - 2-1 to Benfica for me.
D Lille - Man. United - Man U to win, although I thought Lille looked good against them last game, even though I hear they mid-table.

FD

Pretty much agree with you, with the exception of Inter - Porto of course ;)

Sucks is the game will have no crowd. We will hear the players and coaches, kicks on the ball in the tv easily. :lol:

Actually I hope Porto get at least a draw over in Inter. Although admittedly that's just because I'm a Celtic fan and would like to see Rangers miss out on possible qualification for the 2nd phase or even UEFA Cup.

FD

fd1972uk said:
D Lille - Man. United - Man U to win, although I thought Lille looked good against them last game, even though I hear they mid-table.

FD
Man Utd aren't far off being that either. :shock:

Will be watching the Rangers game tonight with great interest. How ironic it could end up being, the slagging Celtic fans took for that night in Bratislava and that could be the location of McLeish's last game.

Revan said:
Pretty much agree with you, with the exception of Inter - Porto of course ;)

Sucks is the game will have no crowd. We will hear the players and coaches, kicks on the ball in the tv easily. :lol:

I think this will be Adriano's game, dont forget what he did last year in San siro against you ;). well its not because of that, he's gonna prove the criticsim he's receiving wrong.

Lille aren't exactly mid-table FD, they are currently fifth in League 1...

And FD, about what that pundit said about Anderlecht: he's probably right...

inter_211 said:
I think this will be Adriano's game, dont forget what he did last year in San siro against you ;). well its not because of that, he's gonna prove the criticsim he's receiving wrong.
U have to understand that being a porto fan, you can't expect me to say "GO INTER" I have to believe in my team, but i'm well aware that they have better players. :\

And you don't need to remind me of Adriano. :(
He doesn't need to prove anything, I know he's good. He as to prove against Milan and such but not porto. :mrgreen:

Fantastic goal by Hugo Almeida. What a shot from 35+ meters.

Adriano is really out of form. (good) :mrgreen:

But if Porto don't stop inter's wings they are going to eventually score. :\

Results at half-time:
Group E:
PSV 1-0 AC Milan
Jefferson Farfan
Schalke 04 1-0 Fenerbahce
Kevin Kuranyi

Group F:
Olympiakos 1-2 Lyon
Haruna Babangida, Juninho Pernambucano, John Carew
Rosenborg 0-2 Real Madrid
Mikael Dorsin(og), Guti

Group G:
LIVERPOOL 1-0 Anderlecht
Fernando Morientes
Real Betis 1-0 CHELSEA
Dani

Group H:
Artmedia Bratislava 1-2 RANGERS
Dado Prso, Balazs Borbely, Steven Thompson
Inter Milan 0-1 Porto
Hugo Almeida

:s As expected porto stayed behind and that has cost them the game.
At least they deserved it. Porto defended all the time. :\

at least we got ourselves a great goal. the only good thing of a crappy game.

Revan said:
U have to understand that being a porto fan, you can't expect me to say "GO INTER" I have to believe in my team, but i'm well aware that they have better players. :\

And you don't need to remind me of Adriano. :(
He doesn't need to prove anything, I know he's good. He as to prove against Milan and such but not porto. :mrgreen:

Dude I didnt mean that at all, i said that as an Inter fan as wel ! no hard feelings ;)
Almeida's goal was awesome!!
Told you Adriano would make the differnce, after he was substituted we won it haha :lol:

Stunning night. PSV-Milan was a very exiting game, at least to me. The win wasn't desereved when you look at the overall game, but when you match a rich team with expensive players against a smaller team that had to let a couple of their playmakers go last season, 1-0 is a very good result.

Shevshenko is hopelessly out of shape. That guy needs some rest. I only noticed him once, when he took the free kick. But apart from that, a very good game. PSV Midfielder Aisatti impressed me in particular. And he's only 17 years old!

And yes, Almeida's goal was a beauty. A pitty that the reast of te game was awful.

right.
But he is really out of form.
the perfect example is that goal chance he got that he took forever to shoot.
I really like him though.

But a deserved win for Inter, that I believe will have a new coach sooner or later. Mancini should be able to do much better with that team.

Cruijff said:
Stunning night. PSV-Milan was a very exiting game, at least to me. The win wasn't desereved when you look at the overall game, but when you match a rich team with expensive players against a smaller team that had to let a couple of their playmakers go last season, 1-0 is a very good result.

Shevshenko is hopelessly out of shape. That guy needs some rest. I only noticed him once, when he took the free kick. But apart from that, a very good game. PSV Midfielder Aisatti impressed me in particular. And he's only 17 years old!

And yes, Almeida's goal was a beauty. A pitty that the reast of te game was awful.

Great game by Aisatti and Jefferson Farfan. Shevchenko was injured since the last PSV game, and came back today.

Cruijff said:

Come on man! PSV did deserve this win! Especially in the first half they outplayed the Milanisti. Props to Afalley, Asiatti & Ooijer (best man imo). And i'm not THAT into PSV ;)

Back
Top Bottom