UEFA Champions League 05/06 Thread

Fenerbahce:3 Psv:0

UEFA.Com
28092005samp8.jpg

Alex flair fuels Fenerbahçe victory

Brazilian midfielder Alex was on target twice as Fenerbahçe SK opened their UEFA Champions League Group E account with an impressive victory over ten-man PSV Eindhoven at the Sükrü Saraçoglu stadium.

Pivotal moment
The slender Brazilian was superb throughout, and after a fractious first half, opened the scoring from the penalty spot five minutes before the break. Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink was booked in the incident leading up to the spot-kick and was soon dismissed after collecting a second yellow card. Alex doubled the lead midway through the second half, completing a flowing move in style, and was also involved in Fenerbahçe's third goal in added time, his back-heel allowing Stephen Appiah to cap a fine win for the Turkish champions.

Welcome returns
The defeat will be a blow to PSV, who welcomed back several key players for the game, with Heurelho Gomes, Alex, André Ooijer and Ibrahim Afellay all returning. While Guus Hiddink received a timely boost, Fenerbahçe coach Christoph Daum was without the left-sided menace of Tuncay Þanli, so Márcio Nobre lined up alongside Nicolas Anelka in attack.

PSV push
Instead, the onus of their attack switched to the right, and Serkan Balci was soon causing havoc with his ceaseless desire to take defenders on. Time and again, the final ball let the hosts down, however, and it was PSV who looked the more likely scorers as midfielders Appiah and Marco Aurélio slowly morphed into makeshift defenders.

Familiar pattern
The game adopted a pattern: Fenerbahçe passing the ball around and measuring their attack carefully; PSV gaining possession and looking to pounce on the break. And as the half wore on, it was the careful approach that began to pay dividends, Nobre firing an acrobatic shot over the crossbar just before the half-hour mark.

Alex penalty
PSV had a chance of their own when DaMarcus Beasley's free-kick went narrowly wide on 37 minutes, but three minutes later, the visitors found themselves behind after Vennegoor of Hesselink handled in the area. The Netherlands forward was booked, and Alex stepped up to drive a clinical penalty into the top-right corner.

Dutch dismissal
Selçuk Þahin almost made it two within two minutes, letting fly an effort into the side-netting, but PSV's relief was fleeting and Vennegoor of Hesselink received his marching orders for holding back Selçuk. The Istanbul outfit sustained the pressure at the start of the second half, with Selçuk's rasping drive forcing Gomes to save at full stretch.

Volkan tested
Volkan Demirel was not anonymous in the Fenerbahçe goal either, and PSV matched the home side, Phillip Cocu attempting a similar long-range strike two minutes later which produced a good stop. Beasley then tested Volkan with an angled shot but the visitors' vim faded and Fenerbahçe strove to make their numerical advantage tell.

Anelka ascent
Sensing the kill, a predatory Anelka started to probe the space he was finding in the PSV rearguard with increased fervour. He collected a long pass from Alex on the left just before the hour mark, cut inside and struck a low effort centimetres past the far post. The Frenchman returned the compliment to Alex on 68 minutes, holding up the ball after a sensational through-pass from the Brazilian, and then crossing for his team-mate to head a wonderful second past Gomes.

No way back

Two goals and one man down, there was no way back for PSV, and Appiah's late third left the Dutch champions level with Fenerbahçe in second spot in Group E. Both are a point behind leaders AC Milan, who drew 2-2 with FC Schalke 04 in Gelsenkirchen.

©uefa.com 1998-2005. All rights reserved.

GOALS:

40 ' Alex (15 Mb) 1-0
68 ' Alex (11 Mb) 2-0
92 ' Appiah (12 Mb) 3-0

Last edited:
Pelintra said:
OMG This Porto... :x

Yup, their Kamikaze style is good for the Liga and brings show, but it won't work on the CL.

I'm already afraid of the next game. Adriano and Martins will destroy Porto's defence, acctually they don't even have to, since the defense is more like an open road, and invitation for the other teams to score. oh well, at least no one can say we play defensive anymore.

ooh_harry said:
I honestly feel that porto may not even qualify for the uefa cup, selling maniche was practically suicide

Selling Maniche was one hell of a deal. And we got a better player for his position. Lucho Gonzalez a fantastic player.
The problem with the team is that we attack too much. The players don't know when to stop. And that is a problem in the CL. And most of the players are young, the average age of the usual 11 is 22, and that is counting our keeper that has 36 and the McCarthy with 28. The left back was a winger at the start of the season. Our right back was a winger aswell, and midfielder. We don't use DMF's.

I like the way they play, a very appealing style, but they need to learn to hold the result, with artmedia even after winning by 2 they kept on attacking kamikaze style.

Last edited:
I agree with Revan. Porto had sold Maniche for 20 Millions of Euros, it was a great buiseness for FCP.

Tuesday, 18th October

Bayern v Juventus
Rapid v Club Brugge
Ajax v Thun
Sparta v Arsenal
Panathinaikos v Barcelona
Udinese v Bremen
Man Utd v Lille
Villareal v Benfica

Wednesday, 19th October

Fenerbahçe v Schalke
Milan v PSV
Lyon v Olympiacos
Real Madrid v Rosenborg
Anderlecht v Liverpool
Chelsea v Betis
Porto v Inter Milan
Rangers v Artmedia

Revan said:
Selling Maniche was one hell of a deal. And we got a better player for his position. Lucho Gonzalez a fantastic player.
The problem with the team is that we attack too much. The players don't know when to stop. And that is a problem in the CL. And most of the players are young, the average age of the usual 11 is 22, and that is counting our keeper that has 36 and the McCarthy with 28. The left back was a winger at the start of the season. Our right back was a winger aswell, and midfielder. We don't use DMF's.

I like the way they play, a very appealing style, but they need to learn to hold the result, with artmedia even after winning by 2 they kept on attacking kamikaze style.
Surely Lucho is a more attacking player than Maniche? Maniche scored a decent amount for his position but I always thought he was solid enough defensively too. Good deal to sell him, but bad idea to replace him with a far more attack-minded player, every team needs a good balance between defense and attack although you say yourself that they don't defend well enough.

Milanista said:
Ibrahimovic is awful. Why did they take off Trezeguet?

I was surprised too, Ibra didnt do anythin at all except for that goal he scored, maybe Capello wanted to play through the wings more with Mutu in, coz ibra can dribble through the sides too and del piero as a striker maybe.. well baah atleast it will reduce Juve's morale for the serie A and lose some points lol.

ClassicD said:
Surely Lucho is a more attacking player than Maniche? Maniche scored a decent amount for his position but I always thought he was solid enough defensively too. Good deal to sell him, but bad idea to replace him with a far more attack-minded player, every team needs a good balance between defense and attack although you say yourself that they don't defend well enough.

Yeah Lucho is more attack minded but can get the job done when helping to defend. problems is both he and ibson are attack minded players. and there is still Diego, that doesn't defend.
Last game with benfica really showed wide open the defensive problems of Porto. :(
I fear for Porto tomorrow with inter. the CB's are no match to Adriano and Martins. :\

denirobob said:
I watched Man U v Lille yesterday and have to say i was very impressed by Makoun, sitting in front of the French defence in the Makelele role.

Also stunning finish by Balaban :D

db

Lol at Balaban :lol:

Db, will Makoun be finding his way to your Metz team ;)

Finally a Belgian team can win a CL match and then it's by such a goal...but we don't care...goal is goal...only saw the goal though...
The Belgian papers wrote that Brugge had a decent performance but that Rapid wasted quite a lot of chances...

About Makoun Db and Prof: i had him twice in PES4 ML teams (Wolfsburg and Lille) and i can say he's a class act in the gamen. Yesterday i played with Lille in PES5 and i have the feeling that Makoun is even better in PES5...

Milanista, that's sometimes what Milan does. :P

Oh well, surprised to see that Porto won Inter, but Adriaanse made some changes to the defence, that surely made the diference. :D
Unfortunaly I dind't watched the match, as I wasn't home and it was impossible to do so. But extended highlights oh all matches later on tv. :)

Dunno what Mancini was thinking of, seriously, he has been deploying a 4-4-2 formation for more almost a year, then suddenly switching to a 4-5-1 ?? He really frustrates me, like Prof. scolgio (may he rest in peace) used to say, Mancini just fills in the players in the formation, no tactics, nothing.. really doubts me.

Anyways Cograts Porto fans

Milanista said:
Milan dominated PSV. PSV were 11 men behind the ball for 90 minutes, what frustration.
If PSV had the type of cash Milan had, then maybe they could be criticised for being defensive. As it was, they have sold two of their best players from last season and still managed to go there and take a point, a great result. It's up to Milan with their Shevchenkos, Kakas and Pirlos to break them down.

It's naive to expect a blatantly less talented side to go there and play all-out attacking football, and it amuses me when fans of these big sides cry about such things. :)

ClassicD said:
If PSV had the type of cash Milan had, then maybe they could be criticised for being defensive. As it was, they have sold two of their best players from last season and still managed to go there and take a point, a great result. It's up to Milan with their Shevchenkos, Kakas and Pirlos to break them down.

It's naive to expect a blatantly less talented side to go there and play all-out attacking football, and it amuses me when fans of these big sides cry about such things. :)

that's the spirit! :)

I've seen Milan play in the back plenty of times(playing almost all the game), so they can't complain when someone else does it, and get's away with it. :)

Back
Top Bottom