UEFA Champions League 05/06 Thread

Re: UEFA Champions League 04/05 Thread

Milan deserved that due to their rock solid defence. Even with Maldini playing centre back for Costacurta, they looked strong. The midfield however did not impress me so much as they gave the ball away or got caught in possession too many times. PSV got stronger as the match went on - it was a pity they didn't score a goal as that would have set it up beautifully for the second leg. As for tonight......I can't wait.

It was a far better match than i expected...
As a neutral football fan i was charmed by PSV's second half. Like Milanista said (btw very fair Milanista!!!) a 1-1 would have been a "fair" result. To me Park was fabulous, what a shame PSV doesn't have a finisher (Kezman).
The first Milan goal was fabulous: pinpoint accurate pass by Kaka'.
All in all it's fair to say that Milan deserved to win, they are a more mature team. Real predators...
But as i said, as a neutral football fan one had to enjoy PSV...shame.
I hope PSV can do well in the second leg, but somehow i don't see how...i don't see PSV capable of a La Coruna stunt (the best match i saw in years..).

I agree Gerd, when Milan scored again in the final seconds I actually felt a small twinge in the pit of my stomach, it was very, very harsh on a team that had IMO been as good as Milan if not slightly better (even Tomasson said PSV were better than Milan last night). Tho nowhere near as intense, it was similar to how I felt in Seville 2003 in the UEFA final, when that goal went in you knew, it's over. However they did create quite a few chances and couldn't take any of them, while Milan were clinical with their's. I guess that's what it comes down to in the end.

I was most impressed by PSV, first time I have watched them this season, but I can't see Milan being so 'open' in the second leg that they'll concede at least 2 goals.

maybe its weird, especially considering the sounds in the media, but i still got faith that psv can reach the final. pure logic: if they can create 6 scoring changes in the away leg, then there is still a possiblitiy they can put two or three in the net at home. IF they are sharper in front this time

cause if Farfan gets a likewise chance for open goal like he got in the eleventh minute, and this time he puts it in like he normally would, that is, without the tension in his feet off a full packed san siro, then the margin is down to just one goal. and thats do-able.

that might sound unrealistic to some, but im also considering the fact that milan is still mixed in a heavy battle with juve for the title while psv won the title last week so they can take it easy. now, at the end of the season, this might decide the outcome of a possible extra time.

just one goal with a good ammount of time left. that could break the game open, make milan a bit nervous and give confident to the psv players.

Last edited:

I was playing footy last night, so missed the game, but heard they did very well. But Milan are Milan and they are so hard to beat.

Personally I think the tie is over, but PSV cannot be written off I guess, but I don't see it.

FD

Real good game last night it's far from over, do you remember Milan leading 4-1 on aggregate to Derpotivo last season and look what happened in the second leg...

Sabac Red said:
Real good game last night it's far from over, do you remember Milan leading 4-1 on aggregate to Derpotivo last season and look what happened in the second leg...

...I think they have learnt from that match, so they won't dare make that mistake again!

Sabac Red said:

Thats a different scenario. Milan were leading 4-1 so felt comfortable, here we're leading 2-0 and 10 of those 11 players are still starters, which would mean they learnt their lesson (well they shud have).

Against Man U we stopped their fast paced game when they were having something like 15 unbeaten..... Ancelotti knows how to get the right results home or away. Look at the record for now... 9 clean sheets against some of the best teams in europe - inter and man u... and last night PSV. Not the prettiest but it works.

i see milan winning it all the way, their defence makes them even better than 02/03. psv won't come back from 0-2 even at home, i'm pretty sure of that. they had their chance in san siro, but this season brings back the big teams. let's all hope for a milan - chelsea final, because that would mean the best quality football has to offer at the moment.

Milanista said:
Thats a different scenario. Milan were leading 4-1 so felt comfortable, here we're leading 2-0 and 10 of those 11 players are still starters, which would mean they learnt their lesson (well they shud have).

Of course i don't agree with you Milanista.
You presume that Milan failed against Deportiva...You are totally misjudging that match. It wasn't due to Milan's failing that they lost that match, it was because Deportiva played football from outer space.
I remember the late Raymond Goethals (a coach who beat the big Milan in the CL final with Marseille) saying about that match that he never saw a better team than Depotivo that day...When he said that he was in his eighties and had coached in France, Brazil, Portugal,...He maybe not known to you guys, but that was a man who knew his football...

That said, i don't think PSV is capable of being that strong and so i think (unfortuantely, i always back the underdog) that Milan is in the final.

That has to be the 1st time I've ever hoped an English team would win in Europe (Liverpool). Although I got a feeling that Chelsea will nick it 1-0 or 1-1 in the return.

Carragher was absolute class and was surely the MOTM out of sight.

FD

Wasn't a great match unfortunately, but then I never enjoy European games between teams who are from the same league, even more so at such a late stage. I put Scrubs on at 9 instead, "I DON'T LIKE IT PERRY, AND NEITHER DO MY BOYS!". :D

Milanista said:
If Chelsea are ever to score against Milan, it wont be more than a goal.

you seem to think that milan's defence is unbeatable! Thye sure have the best defence in europe, but chelsea has got the second, and a great midfield, a midfield that rarely fails.

and imo, PSV were a little unlucky.

considering chelsea-milan in the final, will be a close match no doubt.
a confrontation between the two best coaches in europe, who praise tactic above all.
tactic lovers will have a field day! :mrgreen:

Well, I disagree with Chelsea being second, considering the fact that they conceeded 9+ goals in their last 5 CL games. Even Inter have conceeded less.

Milan have a 9 game clean sheet.

I do believe that Chelski are a very powerful team in attack, but in terms of defence i dont think theyre 2nd best.

Last edited:

I wonder who I'm going to support in the final, Pool or Milan :D Supported them both since I was a kid but I'll prolly be more happy if Pool takes the cup back to Anfield, been a while since we won it :)

Last edited:

Milanista said:
Well, I disagree with Chelsea being second, considering the fact that they conceeded 9+ goals in their last 5 CL games. Even Inter have conceeded less.

Milan have a 9 game clean sheet.

I do believe that Chelski are a very powerful team in attack, but in terms of defence i dont think theyre 2nd best.

sorry i have to say this but inter's defence is a joke! If they had a better defence they would be fighting to be champions by now!

and 4 of those 9 were against Barcelona who "only" has Ronaldinho, Etoo, Deco and Giuly!

Last edited:

Revan said:
sorry i have to say this but inter's defence is a joke! If they had a better defence they would be fighting to be champions by now!

and 4 of those 9 were against Barcelona who "only" has Ronaldinho, Etoo, Deco and Giuly!

What about Bayern? Porto? Barcellona have a very poor defence, and managed 4 goals against Chelsea, and evne won against Chelsea. Against Milan barca got 2 goals in a game where Milan was top of the group (without stam too :(), then lost 1-0 to Milan.

My point is that their defence hasnt been too solid this year, and I didnt mean to say inter had a beter defence, but had managed to conceed less.

Edit - Oh and Milan 'only' beat Man U who at the time were flying in the EPL without Sheva. Milan also beat Inter in both games without letting a goal in.

Edit 2 - i just realized you are gravedigger!!!!!! Revan - is that from star wars KOTOR?

Last edited:

bayern=2 games
liverpool=1 game
barça=2
5 games!

if you want to put porto in it...
I still think that mourinho gave a hand to porto in that game.
Porto this year didn't deserve to pass group stage. they're crap this year. worst Porto i can remember!

and talking about season totals

Chelsea 13 goals against in the league.
Inter 37 goals against in the league.
not good this year? It's just a comparison nothing more.
if we add the CL, since the beginning of this years edition:
13+12(CL) 25 goals against this year! chelski!
37+10(CL) 47 :shock: goals against this year! inter!

by the way Milan totals (CL+league)
20(league)+3(CL):shock: 23 goals agains this year: Milan

a side note for liverpool only conceded 6 goals in the CL this year. (totals are 42)

I still think that Chelsea is 2nd.
this is my opinion and no need for a war! :)

someone might be around and say Milan is not the best defence! ;)

Im not talking about the league! And if you saw my edit, i didnt say Inter's defence is better, but in the CL they had a good streak going on compared to Chelsea.

Porto - Chelsea 2-1
Barca - Chelsea 2-1
Chelsea - barca 4-2
CHelsea - Bayern 4-2
bayern Chelsea 3-2
Chelsea-Liverpool - 0-0

11 goals in 6 games

Celtic-Milan 0-0
Man U - Milan 0-1
Milan - Man u 1-0
Milan - Inter 2-0
Inter - Milan 0-1
Milan - PSV 2-0

thats 0 goals in 6 games. You can also add Shakhtar (4-0) if you want.

Im not attacking your opinion, my point is that in the CL (I acknowledge that Chelsea re doing well in the EPL, but im talking of CL) Chelsea's defence hasnt been great compared to Milan. Thats all im trying to say.

Last edited:

yah it's me! and it's from Kotor! ;)

ok, I get you ideia.
I dont' remember Man Utd flying in the EPL this year :s
Not taking credit away, they are still a thought side to beat. But even Milan would get a goal or two against Barça.

but your point is taken. and the CL is different from a league.I won't change my opinion still!
you have yours I have mine!

Last edited:

ok! :) that i dind't remember! :P

but... who says the final is gonna be between chelsea and milan?
Lpool are doing great too.
and if PSV makes a comeback á lá Depor... who knows! :mrgreen:

games are next week. first finalist tuesday.

Tonight's game, just watch out to see how the referee does, Mr Lubos Michel. This guy loves to give free-kicks, diving will be rewarded I feel.

Classic wasn't Lubos Michel the ref in a certain European final between Porto and a certain British team from Glasgow.
Just been watching the first half and he did pretty well..

Yep that's why I remember him.

The booking for Baros was very harsh, he's not had a stinker by any means but we've had one goal and you guessed it, it's a controversy over whether it crossed the line or not. He also stopped play when Drogba went down injured (leg), now maybe someone can correct me on this but you're only supposed to do that with a head injury?

Back
Top Bottom